• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions - Review Thread

Nintendo Life - 9
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga is a classic, and this new version is arguably the definitive version. Yes, Bowser's Minions is a harmless but shallow add-on, but the Superstars are the real attraction. This is a series that has a distinct and special place within Nintendo gaming, and after experimentation and not-always-popular approaches in the 3DS era of games, this takes us back to the IP's roots. What a treat it is, too - funny, smartly designed and pure unpretentious joy, this is a great start point for those that missed the original in the Game Boy Advance era, and should also be tempting to those with fond memories of the adventure.
http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/3ds/mario_and_luigi_superstar_saga_plus_bowsers_minions

Nintendo Everything
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser’s Minions is the remake I never knew I wanted, and in absolutely every aspect adds to the quality of the original game. As a fan of the GBA original, it’s such a great remake that I might find it legitimately difficult to go back to the original. It’s very clear that the developers of this title knew exactly what made the GBA classic so fantastic and knew exactly where to expand. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have some Goombas to crush and Luigi insults to read.
http://nintendoeverything.com/review-mario-luigi-superstar-saga-bowsers-minions/

If possible, you guys should play this game in one way or the other. If you have not played this game, PLAY it. It is among Nintendo's finest publications ever, if ever (because Super Mario Galaxy 2 is a thing, and it's fantastic).

This game is magnificent. I'm not kidding when I say that among the hundreds of games I've played and beaten among the years, this ranks maybe third all time. It's one of four 10s I have ever given, and I'm someone who likes using the entire range of the scale.

The humor is constantly on point. The gameplay is a great use of the GameBoy Advance system. The script is the strongest a Mario RPG has ever been, and the way they created this overworld chock full of secrets and enemies (no random encounters in this JRPG!) on a GBA cartridge is amazing.

SuperStar Saga takes some noticeable inspirations from, and don't take this the wrong way, Chrono Trigger. Nothing too 1:1 but you can see the subtle similarities. It's better too, although I'm not too high on Chrono Trigger.

Seriously, this is one of my favorite games ever. It's paced perfectly, and one of the close to perfect games I've ever played.

JoeM86

A friend's site

Nintendo Insider - 8/10
So all in all, while it isn’t perfect and the new Bowsers Minions mode that has been included is a bit hit and miss, it’s still a very enjoyable experience all-round. If you’re new to RPG’s and want to give one a go, then this is a great place to start. Like it did with me 14 years ago, it may make you a fan.

If possible, you guys should play this game in one way or the other. If you have not played this game, PLAY it. It is among Nintendo's finest publications ever, if ever (because Super Mario Galaxy 2 is a thing, and it's fantastic).

This game is magnificent. I'm not kidding when I say that among the hundreds of games I've played and beaten among the years, this ranks maybe third all time. It's one of four 10s I have ever given, and I'm someone who likes using the entire range of the scale.

The humor is constantly on point. The gameplay is a great use of the GameBoy Advance system. The script is the strongest a Mario RPG has ever been, and the way they created this overworld chock full of secrets and enemies (no random encounters in this JRPG!) on a GBA cartridge is amazing.

SuperStar Saga takes some noticeable inspirations from, and don't take this the wrong way, Chrono Trigger. Nothing too 1:1 but you can see the subtle similarities. It's better too, although I'm not too high on Chrono Trigger.

Seriously, this is one of my favorite games ever. It's paced perfectly, and one of the close to perfect games I've ever played.
^^^^^^^

It's in my top 3 favorite games of all time.

Well said. Superstar Saga is a phenomenal game. Definitely in the upper echelons of role playing games that have ever been made, in my opinion.

Super glad this is getting a shiny remaster, but I can't get behind some of the character sprite swaps they made. Don't know yet if I'll be buying this one. Might jump in to appease my nostalgia, but not at a time of year when my Switch is already blowing up with new games.

maxcriden

Haven't played BiS, but not exactly a high bar.

You...need to play BiS. It's maybe not as cohesive as SS, but it's amazing how well it works playing as Bowser as well. Amazing game. Personally I've always been more of a M&L person than PM.

Yeah, definitely play it! GE, how can you not have played BIS?! As such a big fan of SS I'm genuinely surprised. Also: Dream Team is supremely under-appreciated. As is Color Splash.

I'm putting my review up in around half an hour. I still love Superstar Saga but the remake doesn't recapture the same vibe.

Jeffrey

My current game lists is packed. Maybe pick this up in the winter. Shame the newer sprites just don't look as great as the og exaggerated animations and many custom npcs have been replaced with generics.

Is this game 60fps or 30 like the other 3ds games?

Game was super slick when I replayed on wii u. Would be a bummer if this lost some of that fluidity

Menitta

Can't wait to play this. I liked Partners in Time and LOVED Bowsers Inside Story (one of the best Mario games imo) and I never touched SS and seeing people say it's one of the best is exciting. Hope the remake maintains its charm.

Forkball

I really enjoyed this game on the GBA, so it's nice to see that people who haven't played it get to experience it. Although I really liked Superstar Saga and Bowser's Inside Story, I haven't played Partners in Time, Dream Team, or Paper Jam. I'll probably pick those up over a remake.

Galang

Banned

Wow this post makes me want to play this now!

My current game lists is packed. Maybe pick this up in the winter. Shame the newer sprites just don't look as great as the og exaggerated animations and many custom npcs have been replaced with generics.

Is this game 60fps or 30 like the other 3ds games?

Game was super slick when I replayed on wii u. Would be a bummer if this lost some of that fluidity

Do you have any examples of this?

Ridley327

82 metacritic while the original got a 90?

what happened there?

I don't think that there's much to speculate upon other than reviewers being much more critical these days than they were nearly 15 years ago. If the original was being released for the first time, I imagine that it would score about the same as the remake.

VDenter

Banned

what happened there?

1. Different reviewers.

2. Standards change.

3. Not all the changes were for the better.

4. When the game came out in 2002 it was only the third Mario RPG game and the concept was still novel at the time. Now not so much.

Can't wait to play this. I liked Partners in Time and LOVED Bowsers Inside Story (one of the best Mario games imo) and I never touched SS and seeing people say it's one of the best is exciting. Hope the remake maintains its charm.
Personally, after going through Partners in Time, Bowsers Inside Story, and Dream Team, it felt somewhat ho-hum by comparison but it was still good stuff. I can at least say it has some of the best pacing in the series and has very little fluff or padding

Crayolan

what happened there?

Unwanted changes to difficulty balance just to make the game line up more with the sequels.

Lost a bit of charm in the new visuals, including some previously unique character/enemy designs becoming generic koopas/toads.

Apparently the music is worse? I can't comment on that.

From what I've seen it looks like a serviceable version of the game if you have no other options, but the original is still superior. The score makes sense.

Cyframe

I've never played a Mario and Luigi game. I always thought they were a little limited in scope and characters compared to Super Mario RPG for the snes, but reviews are starting to change my mind.

Ridley327

I've never played a Mario and Luigi game. I always thought they were a little limited in scope and characters compared to Super Mario RPG for the snes, but reviews are starting to change my mind.

If you liked the humor in SMRPG, you'll be right at home with the M&L games. It's a lot of the same zany absurd humor with crazy characters (Fawful could very well be a lost relative of Booster), while expanding the hell out of the timed hits system to the point where the game blurs the line between turn-based and action RPG quite effectively.

If I'm not mistaken, AlphaDream is mostly former Square staff, including a few that worked on SMRPG, which makes the influence more obvious.

khaaan

Its better then all the mario rpgs that came out on the ds and 3ds combined.

I think Super Star Saga was the best M&L game by far as well so by extension I think this one should be better than it's predecessors but I still feel like some of the changes they made are a step back from the original. Personally I also hate the evolution the art style took once it moved to the 3DS.

Unwanted changes to difficulty balance just to make the game line up more with the sequels.

Lost a bit of charm in the new visuals, including some previously unique character/enemy designs becoming generic koopas/toads.

Apparently the music is worse? I can't comment on that.

From what I've seen it looks like a serviceable version of the game if you have no other options, but the original is still superior. The score makes sense.

Is that really what explains the lower metascore, though? Wouldn't it just be a completely different sample of review sources, and reviewers between 2003 and a few hours after the remake launches in 2017?

Its better then all the mario rpgs that came out on the ds and 3ds combined.
Outside of Bowser’s inside story they all were kind of mediocre at best

Never did play through the original M&L. It was rough on the Wii U VC but maybe I’ll check this one out eventually

Crayolan

Is that really what explains the lower metascore, though? Wouldn't it just be a completely different sample of review sources, and reviewers between 2003 and a few hours after the remake launches in 2017?

You're totally right, I'm just saying there are some problems which may warrant a lower score. I doubt many reviewers are actually comparing differences between the two games down to the tiny details.

Top Bottom