• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions - Review Thread

Menitta

Personally, after going through Partners in Time, Bowsers Inside Story, and Dream Team, it felt somewhat ho-hum by comparison but it was still good stuff. I can at least say it has some of the best pacing in the series and has very little fluff or padding

I recently played Bowsers Inside Story and the one thing that really makes that game great is the dialogue imo. The minigames were fun like the stuff inside Bowser and the Kaiju fights are excellent but it's mostly the dialogue for me, so as long as that's still good I'll probably like it.

You're totally right, I'm just saying there are some problems which may warrant a lower score. I doubt many reviewers are actually comparing differences between the two games down to the tiny details.

Re-releases generally score worse as well (even when they're superior) and the review climate is very different from 2003.

Having said that, yeah there are many things in this version that seem to point towards a great but not definitive experience.

I don't like what they did to the music, and I heard about the gameplay changes.

I like the original the best still. There still isn't a better sequel yet.

killroy87

I think the game looks actively worse than before, but This is still one of my all time faves so I’ll give it a shot.

Great reviews so far. Quite normal that the scores on MC are not as high as the original. It's a remake after all and won't feel as fresh as the GBA original.

Ilvocare

As someone who actually liked PiT and DT more than SS and BiS (we don't talk about paper jam round here), and who generally prefers M&L to Paper Mario, is there something I'm missing here when people insist that SS and BiS are the only M&L games worth playing??? Calling the others mediocre seems like emphasizing pure pacing over all else...

on that note hearing the art and music score took a hit really makes me not want to nab the remake, I'm always more optimistic about new content than most but it seems to fall below the mark...

I'm still burned out from previous entries. I didn't even finish Dream Team and I didn't buy Paper jam ( The first mario RPG title I haven't bought). Superstar Saga was great but I just can't go back to the franchise :/

MrBadger

As someone who actually liked PiT and DT more than SS and BiS (we don't talk about paper jam round here), and who generally prefers M&L to Paper Mario, is there something I'm missing here when people insist that SS and BiS are the only M&L games worth playing??? Calling the others mediocre seems like emphasizing pure pacing over all else...

on that note hearing the art and music score took a hit really makes me not want to nab the remake, I'm always more optimistic about new content than most but it seems to fall below the mark...

I heard the US version of Partners in Time buggers up the combat by giving the enemies and bosses more health, and weakening the defence boost certain gear gives you, essentially making the game way more tedious than in other regions. I've always liked PiT but I never played it in the US. Since the bosses already take too long, I imagine American players had a much worse experience.

Dream Team was just way too long. I enjoyed the combat but it's such a chore to replay because of the amount of useless dialogue and tutorials, which prompted them to add a fastforward button to Paper Jam, and replace tutorials with an instruction manual. Much needed improvements.

Syril

It looks like some of the enemy sprites lost a lot of personality.
r4dkduzjli3z.jpg

MrBadger

What gameplay changes were made? I saw a review alluding to the difficulty being lower than in the original, but I wasn't sure if there's much weight to that claim.

The biggest change is how hammers work. In the new one, you have to hold the hammer button and release it to block an attack. In the old one, you get a much smaller window as hammers break if you hold them for too long. Also there's the vast cutting down of tutorials and the fast-forward button during dialogue. I'm unaware of any other changes beyond QOL stuff and the hammer thing.

Sora_N

I'm still burned out from previous entries. I didn't even finish Dream Team and I didn't buy Paper jam ( The first mario RPG title I haven't bought). Superstar Saga was great but I just can't go back to the franchise :/

Dream Team was so boring I traded it in, debating if I should rebuy for $20 though.

I never finished any M&L game since DT was my first.

I'm not sure if I should get this or just buy the GBA copy on WiiU.

Looking forward to this. Pinnacle of the M&L series (BiS is a close second). Now if only we can get a PM: TTYD remake to fully relive the glory days of Mario RPGs.

On another note, I feel Dream Team is woefully underrated. It certainly has its issues that keep it from being hand-in-hand with the greats mentioned above (mainly the pacing, long tutorial sections, and overall length of the game going for about 10 hours more than it should have), but I have a whole ton of great memories from that game. I honestly think it's the pinnacle of the M&L battle system. Fighting enemies was just damn fun, and the Bros. Attacks and Luigi specials were some of the most unique and creative move-sets of the series. I appreciate it even more after the completely by-the-numbers and mundane Paper Jam.

Ilvocare

I heard the US version of Partners in Time buggers up the combat by giving the enemies and bosses more health, and weakening the defence boost certain gear gives you, essentially making the game way more tedious than in other regions. I've always liked PiT but I never played it in the US. Since the bosses already take too long, I imagine American players had a much worse experience.

Dream Team was just way too long. I enjoyed the combat but it's such a chore to replay because of the amount of useless dialogue and tutorials, which prompted them to add a fastforward button to Paper Jam, and replace tutorials with an instruction manual. Much needed improvements.

Screws up? That difficulty increase is the whole reason why PiT is one of my favorite games! And the bosses only take too long if you don't figure out the gimmicks to actually deal massive damage to them: each one is like a puzzle boss in that respect, and you can cash in absurd amounts of damage within the window given. Granted, if you never did anything like knocking away the glass from that caterpillar or knocking the eggs back into the Shroom yoshi's heart, then yeah you'll be running nowhere fast.

(for reference I've beaten PiT three times in a row, SS twice [once on release, again relatively recently], BiS like one and a half times [I have my problems with that game but that's another discussion], and DT once [Would love to tackle hard mode but the gauntlet beckons and I need another stylus])

Dream Team's pacing problem, imo, is the density of random encounters in each area combined with the game out-and-out telling you to beat every single one you come across to have good levels. The problem is hewing to those as hard and fast guidelines and not, say, a suggestion. I think a lot of people would think much better of the game if they toned the number of encounters in each area down, because the in-game combat shines at the first two to three times you fight an enemy. Not to mention the boss to trash fight ratio is horrifically skewed in the latter's favor.

EDIT: Historically, every single M&L game, including SS, has had a difficulty bump up whenever it's localized. BiS tried to exponentiate that but Bowser's just too goddamn powerful for it to matter.

Yukinari

r4dkduzjli3z.jpg

QQSbdKu.png

Bigger list of sprite comparisons.

Just reeks laziness that some enemies are either reused sprites from the modern games or removed entirely.

Why remake some sprites and not others? Why remove the Mecha Chomp and Skeleton DK?

Just reeks laziness that some enemies are either reused sprites from the modern games or removed entirely.

Why remake some sprites and not others? Why remove the Mecha Chomp and Skeleton DK?[/QUOTE]

This inconsistency bothers me. They managed to faithfully update like 85% of the sprites, so what made them stop there?

Huh, from the way people were talking, I thought the character changes were larger. The enemies with existing equivalents were "standardized", but the others look as one would expect them to in modern alphadream style (too 3D/slick as it may be.)
I honestly don't miss weird bigmouth Monty Mole though.

Atheerios

What went wrong with this remake?

Could it be that AlphaDream had a low budget / very little time to make this game before the 3DS faxed over?

I'll be picking this up. I'd love to relive this game in a new light, even if some of the changes seem to be for the worse.

Crayolan

Why remake some sprites and not others? Why remove the Mecha Chomp and Skeleton DK?

This shows they clearly had the capability to recreate the old sprites and make them look great. They simply chose not to in some cases. And that makes me feel like there was someone from on high telling them "you can't do this and this, it has to line up with modern standards."

me0wish

Played around 2 hours of the remake, besides some backgrounds that look gorgeous, everything else is a "nope". This game made me want to play the original again, I'm glad I didn't buy it.

Ivan 3414

r4dkduzjli3z.jpg

As with Paper Mario, it seems to be a recurring theme to homogenize the Mario aesthetic.

Nothing can stray too far from the Koopa Troopa, original RPG characters are erased and forgotten, etc.

I mean if no one is going to add more reviews and are just gonna bash the game on feeling I might as well get 'em. We all got our own opinions on the game, but I might as well actually add to the Review Thread.

Destructoid: 7.5/10

Metro.uk: 8/10

Vooks: 3/5

RPGSite: 8/10

Trusted Reviews: 4.5/5

XGN: 8.5/10

COGconnected: 83/100

Gamerant: 4/5

Apart from questionable graphic choices and the Bowser's Minions mode, what does this remake add over the original? Worth getting, or is it better just to play the original on the Wii U again?

me0wish

Apart from questionable graphic choices and the Bowser's Minions mode, what does this remake add over the original? Worth getting, or is it better just to play the original on the Wii U again?

From what I see, some things are "streamlined" aka made much worse, and that's about it. Stick to the original.

MrBadger

Who gives a shit about Geno though

I swear he's the Boba Fett of Mario. He looks cool and that's about it

I'm fine with this. The lighting and larger sprites look much better. I don't like how they reused Popple's Dream Team sprite which looks way less pissed off but the bad changes aren't nearly significant enough to ruin the experience for me. I only wish that the music was better.

Wait, why change the DK Skeletons into regular ol' skellies?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Outside of graphics and the (accordin to my gamescom impression: shit) Minions mode, is there anything to warrant a rebuy if you own and have played through the GBA original?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Outside of graphics and the (accordin to my gamescom impression: shit) Minions mode, is there anything to warrant a rebuy if you own and have played through the GBA original?
No since you think the graphics and minions mode is shit please play something else.
Nobody is forcing you to play this game.

I mean if no one is going to add more reviews and are just gonna bash the game on feeling I might as well get 'em. We all got our own opinions on the game, but I might as well actually add to the Review Thread.

Destructoid: 7.5/10

Metro.uk: 8/10

Vooks: 3/5

RPGSite: 8/10

Trusted Reviews: 4.5/5

XGN: 8.5/10

COGconnected: 83/100

Gamerant: 4/5

Thanks. Didn't realise Metro GameCentral published a review yesterday. They also reviewed Golf Story.

I'm surprised the RPGSite says this plays "identically to the original", when a major part of the gameplay (Defending with hammers) has changed. You still can't just press a button (like what the review suggests about defending in general) as hammers take time to ready, but you can hold the button indefinitely whereas previously Mario and Luigi could only ready their hammers for so long before buckling under their weight.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
No since you think the graphics and minions mode is shit please play something else.
Nobody is forcing you to play this game.

I do not think the graphics are shit, they are nice, but I do not play games for graphics and also, the GBA graphics were actually looking a bit nicer I think.

I also did not ask because I felt anyone was forcing me, I was just asking because I love the Mario & Luigi series, so if there was new content for the main game as well, I'd "have" to rebuy.

VDenter

Banned

Apparently not unless you consider these features to be worth the additional 30 dollars it would cost you to get this game over the original which goes for only 10 dollars on the Wii U.

QQSbdKu.png

Thanks. It's odd. Some of these are great, faithful recreations. Then others are less stylized and inconsistent with the original art style. And then still more are generalizations through cheap use of existing assets...

What happened to the music that people are saying it's worse? Did Shimomura work on the remixes?

Shimomura remixed the whole soundtrack, IIRC. She's very much employing the style, feel, and soundfont that she's used since Dream Team, so if you didn't like it there you won't like it here.

To me some are better, some not so much, but it all sounds good.

As with Paper Mario, it seems to be a recurring theme to homogenize the Mario aesthetic.

Nothing can stray too far from the Koopa Troopa, original RPG characters are erased and forgotten, etc.

I swear that homogenization problem has been applied to every other Mario spin off series but Mario Kart now

Mario Kart 9's going to fall into the same fate, won't it

Koizumi save us

Kinsei

Banned
QQSbdKu.png

Some of the new sprites look really good, but it's really disappointing that they replaced enemies. Why do the troopeas need to look like koopa troopas? They're a different species from a different country. Don;t even get me started on them completely replacing the mecha chomps with mecha koopas.

Why did Bink, Psycho-Kamek and Mecha-Chomp get completely remade into new things?

And they completely removed Geno :(

I thought the "off model" look of the original sprites added a lot of charm to the game.

Top Bottom