• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga DX found on Nintendo 3DS eShop server

This. So much this.

What really bothers me is when people complain about games that are clearly low investment titles built on already existing engines for the 3DS (like this probably will be). It's pretty clear that Nintendo is looking to spend minimal effort getting the game to run and the game probably wouldn't exist if not for the 3DS, but apparently no Switch version is an insult. It's not like the 3DS is keeping the game from making it on the Switch.

It's annoying. Nintendo is supporting the 3DS and not trying to put all the extra money in it.

maxcriden

There's no reason this wouldn't be on 3DS and Switch. If they are going to put it on one they might as well put it on the other.

From a consumer perspective, I agree. But I don't expect it to be on Switch because so far Nintendo has only announced two cross-platform game for Switch, one of which was previously cross-platform across handheld and console so there is a precedent, and the other of which was announced for Switch's predecessor long before the system itself was announced. This doesn't fit either criteria and Nintendo has been announcing new 3DS titles with no indication of a Switch release, so I don't expect it to come to Switch imminently at least. Plus, it may not be a retail release, which to me lessens its likelihood of bring cross-platform. Finally, with a rumored Mario RPG coming to Switch this year already, in the form of the Rabbids crossover, I expect Nintendo will give that title some breathing room.

rucury

Banned
Aren't these Switch comments considered port-begging? Like seriously... You bought a Switch, congrats. Now let the millions of people who have a 3DS enjoy their last few upcoming games.

3DS and Switch aren't even close in terms of power and would require a lot more leg work to make a Switch version look good.

And not forgetting the fact that the 3DS version will have two screens, and so the Switch version would basically have to be developed from scratch from the GBA version as an entirely separate thing to a 3DS version, rather than just ported across.

Hardly as trivial as that poster makes it sound!

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
It's annoying. Nintendo is supporting the 3DS and not trying to put all the extra money in it.

I think that they are handling it in the best way
The install Base is huge, the demographic clearly different from the switch one do far, the projects are curious, funny, interesting but light, the teams external or small.
So they can prepare bigger games for a more passionate target group on switch

If it's on 3DS I couldn't be happier. The perfect send-off for Alphadream's always-impressive pixel art. We know something will have to change once the games move beyond 240p towards 720/1080p, and it may well be pixel art sprites.

I hope it's New 3DS enhanced though. The last two games on 3DS were locked to 30fps, please give us 60fps on New 3DS to match the fluidity of the GBA/DS Mario & Luigi games, much like how Yoshi's Woolly World was 60fps in 3D mode on N3DS.

Something with this level of detail, but in Superstar Saga's world and colour palette, will be delicious.

donny2112

Very glad that Nintendo is still supporting the 3DS. Hope they continue with 2 screen gaming with their next handheld, even if it is somehow a mini-Switch under the covers.

maxcriden

Next Monday then?

Tuesday's the presser (unless you meant something else) :)

I think this could be a game like Rhythym Heaven or Ever Oasis that is announced during Treehouse, or in PR like IIRC Mario Party. If it's digital only it could drop immediately. But I'm unsure if it would be. If it's not I imagine it will be a few months.

Neiteio

Nintendo said the E3 Spotlight is Switch games only, so I wouldn't expect it there. Maybe afterward on Treehouse Live.

Top Bottom