• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga DX found on Nintendo 3DS eShop server

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I have heard that 3ds still will have many games around e3 period (bunch of which have been covered by the last Direct I suspect) so this doesn't surprise me

Seems the perfect fit for the 3ds late life cycle (not great effort required, maybe externalized and so on)

I'm sure this will be a low cost, 3ds send-off style game for the fans. But it's mindboggling to me that this isn't on Switch or at the very least not going to be multiplatform. It would be such a great way to introduce the M/L series to a new lapsed nintendo fan base and sell them on the inevitable ground up M&L for Switch.

Berordn

Bowser's Minions might be the recurring trio of Corporal Paraplonk, Private Goomp and Sergeant Guy that've been in since Bowser's Inside Story.

There's a slim chance they might have their own campaign here, maybe?

Megatron

So I guess its DX because its a port and notba rim dump. Wonder if its for the bigger ds audience or if gba games dont run well on n3ds.

RedToad64

Bowser's Minions might be the recurring trio of Corporal Paraplonk, Private Goomp and Sergeant Guy that've been in since Bowser's Inside Story.

There's a slim chance they might have their own campaign here, maybe?
This is what I am thinking. A separate story that takes place during the events of Superstar Saga, with Bowser's minions
trying to find him and return the King of Koopas back to his regular self.

K' Dash

Would Nintendo PLEASE support the fucking Switch too? I need all these fucking 3DS games on it and I can't even look at my 3DS anymore after playing the Switch.

Would Nintendo PLEASE support the fucking Switch too? I need all these fucking 3DS games on it and I can't even look at my 3DS anymore after playing the Switch.

AlphaDream needs to milk their M&L 3DS engine, then they'll have the budget for M&L RPG 5!!!!! on Switch. :p

I wouldn't doubt that most of the 3DS games they are releasing and are rumored to be released have been in development for a while. Most of the games are probably using old engines and assets from past titles or games like Superstar Saga remake using Alpha Dream's M&L 3DS engine, Hey! Pikmin using Yoshi's New Island's engine (same developer), Fire Emblem Echoes using the FE 3DS engine, and the new Kirby game out near holidays is probably using the Triple Deluxe/Robobot engine.

Games like Ever Oasis have been in development for a bit too and I bet it would take a bit of effort to make some of these 3DS games run on the Switch and look, at least, decent. The jump from 3DS to Switch is huge.

udivision

AlphaDream needs to milk their M&L 3DS engine, then they'll have the budget for M&L RPG 5!!!!! on Switch. :p

I thought that was the whole idea behind Paper Jam, but I guess you can milk some more with a product that might actually be good.

Paper Jam was completely different from what it could've been due to just being an exercise of convenience.

Shiggy

With Brain Training, Pikmin, Fire Emblem, Mario & Luigi, and Miitopia I am more interested in 3DS games than the Switch lineup (where I'm mainly looking forward to Mario Odyssey now that MK8DX is out). Even the recent free Kirby game was more than decent.

BiggNife

Dude relax, the switch already has a bunch of major releases coming out this year and it's not e3 yet. It's not like any of these 3ds announcements have been anywhere near on the level of a new 3d Mario or Pokemon.

MrBadger

I'm hoping they don't change the game's combat too much. The quick and easy Bros moves in SSS are way more tolerable than the annoyingly long special attacks of the more recent games, which make boss fights an absolute chore. Providing that this is a remake in the DT/PJ style like I'm expecting it to be.

Semajer

I wonder how NoE will fuck up the name.

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga Bros. + Bowser's Minions

or

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions Bros.

BJWanlund

I love, love, love, love, LOVED the original title. Fawful is still one of my favourite Mario villains to this day. Only problems I had were the controls once the DS came out and could "play" GBA games,
though not very well
(and that's the EXACT SAME CONTROL STYLE adopted by just about every Mario DS game to my great annoyance, and my hands cramping like crazy, which is why I stopped playing after the first area max of PIT) and the rather obscene spike in difficulty pre-the final boss area. So long as there was maybe more leveling up opportunities earlier in the game (because those got really few and far between the later in the game you got), NOT screwing up those controls, allowing more buttons to be pressed in battles, and some of the niggling annoyances go away, and you have a game that literally cannot be improved upon any further.

I love, love, love, love, LOVED the original title. Fawful is still one of my favourite Mario villains to this day. Only problems I had were the controls once the DS came out and could "play" GBA games,
though not very well
(and that's the EXACT SAME CONTROL STYLE adopted by just about every Mario DS game to my great annoyance, and my hands cramping like crazy, which is why I stopped playing after the first area max of PIT) and the rather obscene spike in difficulty pre-the final boss area. So long as there was maybe more leveling up opportunities earlier in the game (because those got really few and far between the later in the game you got), NOT screwing up those controls, allowing more buttons to be pressed in battles, and some of the niggling annoyances go away, and you have a game that literally cannot be improved upon any further.
SuperStar Saga might be the closest to perfect out of any game I've played ever. Just phenomenal all around.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
The most important part of this is that we'll get high quality versions of the amazing songs in the game.

Remastered Teehee Valley is gonna be so good.

The most important part of this is that we'll get high quality versions of the amazing songs in the game.

Remastered Teehee Valley is gonna be so good.
Oh my God, that island music and that weird frozen area with that uncomfortable music. It's gonna be great.

I'm legitimately so hyped.

Superstar Saga has so many genuinely great and unique moments. Mario & Luigi when they're at their best (as in SSS, BiS) is the pinnacle of the Mario RPG experience as far as I'm concerned. I love Paper Mario too, but the snappier gameplay of M&L appeals to me more. Really stoked for this one provided they don't tack on the superfluous stuff that has plagued recent entries.

Superstar Saga has so many genuinely great and unique moments. Mario & Luigi when they're at their best (as in SSS, BiS) is the pinnacle of the Mario RPG experience as far as I'm concerned. I love Paper Mario too, but the snappier gameplay of M&L appeals to me more. Really stoked for this one provided they don't tack on the superfluous stuff that has plagued recent entries.
It's peak JRPG in general. The pacing, combat, creativity, and script just came so well together in this game.
Oooh, an even more ominous version of Woohoo Hooniversity? A more maniacal version of Chucklehuck Woods? Sign me up now!
What about the Cola Factory? This game is so fucking awesome.

Please have it be on Switch and not 3DS
Dat early adopters guilt

I just bought a Switch too and yes itd be nice to have more games, but give it time. Zelda and MK8 are two heavy hitters right out the door. Shit takes time, yo. It'd be nice if they ported some 3DS/Wii U games or something but we'll see.

Velcro Fly

Really hoping for a physical release.

I will even hold out if physical is coming later on but digital is available sooner.

ramparter

Banned
Sorry but it's going to be on 3DS.

Man, Switch fanboys are truly something in 3DS related threads.
Lol the first civil console war.

But seriously dude this isnt about fanboys, if you own both system you obviously prefer on the better resolution and graphics in general that can also be played on TV.

Yukinari

Sorry but it's going to be on 3DS.

Man, Switch fanboys are truly something in 3DS related threads.

I like how its gotten to the point where Switch owners are the bad guys for expecting some cross platform releases. Fire Emblem Warriors shouldnt be the only one.

Lol the first civil console war.

But seriously dude this isnt about fanboys, if you own both system you obviously prefer on the better resolution and graphics in general that can also be played on TV.

That's fine. I would love it to be on Switch if possible as well. However the incessant whinging whenever 3DS gets any new games is pretty grating and adds nothing to the discussion. Especially when these are games that likely wouldn't exist anyway if Nintendo wasn't planning to keep supporting 3DS for a little while longer.

13ruce

Banned
That's fine. I would love it to be on Switch if possible as well. However the incessant whinging whenever 3DS gets any new games is pretty grating and adds nothing to the discussion. Especially when these are games that likely wouldn't exist anyway if Nintendo wasn't planning to keep supporting 3DS for a little while longer.

Well i can see their point since Switch is a hybrid they expected a unified libary with new game releases.

Berordn

Well i can see their point since Switch is a hybrid they expected a unified libary with new game releases.

Buy why would anyone expect this to happen immediately? Every old console sees some support even after the successors are out.

dan2026

There's no reason this wouldn't be on 3DS and Switch. If they are going to put it on one they might as well put it on the other.

This. So much this.

What really bothers me is when people complain about games that are clearly low investment titles built on already existing engines for the 3DS (like this probably will be). It's pretty clear that Nintendo is looking to spend minimal effort getting the game to run and the game probably wouldn't exist if not for the 3DS, but apparently no Switch version is an insult. It's not like the 3DS is keeping the game from making it on the Switch.

Top Bottom