• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark Rein teases Unreal Tournament comeback, [More Today]

Gxgear

I wonder if using a pic of the original Unreal Tournament means anything? I'm down for a HD remastered edition.

They don't have anything else after the Gears Of War acquisition. Look at poor Epic trying to be mysterious and cool about their upcoming project.

Kevin

The fact that Epic Games shunned the PC for so long, leaves me with very little faith in anything they do. I really liked the Gears of War games and wanted them on the PC for so damn long. We got the first one bogged down with GFWL and that was it. They also stopped supporting Linux as well.

I've lost a lot of respect for Epic Games and I don't expect them to rekindle my faith anytime soon. That being said, I'm still hoping that they will start fully supporting the PC (and Linux) with their future games.

Tellaerin

Hey... the melee combat was a good time.

UC2, you mean? Yeah, that game was one of the highlights of the OG Xbox for me. I liked the almost hybrid FPS/arena fighter vibe it had. Wouldn't mind seeing Epic go back to that particular well for inspiration again one day.

Miker

uc2 was a abomination of the series that shouldn't have ever existed.

Bullshit. I played tons of both UT2K4 and UC2 when they had a lot of players and I loved both games. UC2 had a fantastic balance between melee and shooting, and the game rewarded skill just as much as the PC games. I'd argue it's still one of the - if the not the most - mobile and PC-like console shooter ever made.

EDIT:

I'll add more about Unreal Championship 2 because I loved it so much. I mean, what a game. The controls were perfect - the lock-on was just tight enough to keep you from going crazy without a mouse, but just loose enough to make you work for every kill. There was a ton of depth to each weapon - the Grenade Launcher with its manual detonate was great for shield-heavy melee users, the Bio Rifle had the poison cloud shit, the Shock Rifle had the classic shock combos, etc. There was a wide variety of maps, a number of characters with unique adrenaline powers (vampire cloud! predator! wraith!), and so much more.

I think a lot of players picked it up, got their asses kicked by scrubs using melee, and said "lol wtf is this shit this aint UT," but at higher levels of play, most players used guns, with melee as a backup/mobility/escape option. Idiots who were locked on to you and lunging at you in a straight line were literally free kills because, well, they were locked on to you and lunging at you in a straight line. The gunplay in that game was honestly just as good as UT2K4's, if not even a bit meatier because UT2K4 was so lightweight in its physics.

Yup, Unreal Championship 2 is one of the best shooters ever made.

UC2 was amazing, and like you it was one of my highlights of that generation. The melee and lunging really changed things up - it worked.

Ah man, I would kill for a new Unreal Championship. 2 was so good, idk what you're talking about, lol.

UC2, you mean? Yeah, that game was one of the highlights of the OG Xbox for me. I liked the almost hybrid FPS/arena fighter vibe it had. Wouldn't mind seeing Epic go back to that particular well for inspiration again one day.

These guys know what's up.

UC2 was amazing, and like you it was one of my highlights of that generation. The melee and lunging really changed things up - it worked.

I'm OK with this. If it's f2p please be like TF2 in that regard. This reminded me, didn't Cliffy B say he wanted to do a fast pace PC shooter?...wonder if that will happen

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
If it works like TF2 where cosmetics are the only thing that you pay for and it has a good section of maps, I do not care in the slightest. Bring it on!

Assuming for the moment that this will be F2P, a CS:GO-like model (weapon skins) seems more likely to me than a TF2-like model (hats and stuff). Player avatar alterations wouldn't be a good fit for an arena shooter.

Dezzy

F2P versions of UT99 or 2K4, remakes, or a real UT 4, I don't care, just give me more Unreal Tournament! So sick of the endless class-based and military "aim down the scope" shooters.
Mark please don't be screwing with us.

I really dont know what to expect.

UT was really one of the best games ever.

I remember every map, the skins, heck i even listen to its music on my cellphone.

Im afraid.

Mentok

Banned
I'm cautiously optimistic! Can't wait to hear more news. As others have said, if this goes the F2P model, I hope you only pay for skins and cosmetics.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Well, Epic have the tech, talent and know-how to bring back non-military arena shooters. Quake Live was awesome, but I'd really love to get my teeth into UT4, or even UT2k4 Live.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not a big fan of the series, but any effort to put out new arena FPSs is cool with me.

ShowDog

If they decide to consolize the game I hope they utilize voice commands for switching weapons. It seems like it would work well (just yell "shotgun") and I don't want the 2 weapon carry limit BS in the PC game.

FuLLBLeeD

Neo Member
This is very likely going to be Epic officially sanctioning Open Tournament, the Unreal Tournament fan project currently in development by several members of the UT community in Unreal Engine 4. Which is great, the design document says its going to have UT3 movespeed, gravity, and air control with 2k4 doge jump and UT3 weapon balance which is honestly the best version of the game you could have. At this point the community from past games has a better chance of making a UT game that pleases the most people than Epic does.

The issue with the UT series is there are three camps of players: UT99 players, UT2k4 players, and UT3 players. The 2k series was such a far cry and change in gameplay from the original that the 2k3/2k4 audience expected the series to play like that. When Epic went back to classic style gameplay in UT3, 2k4 players hated it. Conversely, when 2k3 came out, UT99 players didn't like the changes, and 2k4 didn't do much to win them over. UT3 is a mixed bag that people either like, hate because it wasn't UT2k4, or hate because it wasn't exactly like UT99. I'm also not speaking of UT3's atrociously bad launch when I talk about whether people like it or not; I'm talking about its gameplay. Unfortunately Midway forced Epic to release that game way too early. But since the Black Edition patch/Titan Update the game plays super solid and the majority of bugs have been fixed. From a gameplay standpoint, I champion UT3 a lot because I really like how it managed to bring balance to a series where usually only 2 or 3 weapons were dominant.

Its not a popular opinion, but UT3 is my personal favorite. The weapon balance and gravity/air control is the best in the series in that game I feel. However, for this game, I really think they should look at UT99 as a base. That seems to be the game the most people like.

FuLLBLeeD

Neo Member
If my theory about it being Open Tournament is correct it more than likely will just be completely free. As in free, not free to play, a completely free community game used to showcase the engine.

Miker

This is very likely going to be Epic officially sanctioning Open Tournament, the Unreal Tournament fan project currently in development by several members of the UT community in Unreal Engine 4. Which is great, the design document says its going to have UT3 movespeed, gravity, and air control with 2k4 doge jump and UT3 weapon balance which is honestly the best version of the game you could have. At this point the community from past games has a better chance of making a UT game that pleases the most people than Epic does.

The issue with the UT series is there are three camps of players: UT99 players, UT2k4 players, and UT3 players. The 2k series was such a far cry and change in gameplay from the original that the 2k3/2k4 audience expected the series to play like that. When Epic went back to classic style gameplay in UT3, 2k4 players hated it. Conversely, when 2k3 came out, UT99 players didn't like the changes, and 2k4 didn't do much to win them over. UT3 is a mixed bag that people either like, hate because it wasn't UT2k4, or hate because it wasn't exactly like UT99. I'm also not speaking of UT3's atrociously bad launch when I talk about whether people like it or not; I'm talking about its gameplay. Unfortunately Midway forced Epic to release that game way too early. But since the Black Edition patch/Titan Update the game plays super solid and the majority of bugs have been fixed. From a gameplay standpoint, I champion UT3 a lot because I really like how it managed to bring balance to a series where usually only 2 or 3 weapons were dominant.

Its not a popular opinion, but UT3 is my personal favorite. The weapon balance and gravity/air control is the best in the series in that game I feel. However, for this game, I really think they should look at UT99 as a base. That seems to be the game the most people like.

Hey Fullbleed! Got any source on that Open Tournament info? I checked BeyondUnreal and there don't seem to be any rumblings there.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
Hoping for something like 2003. That was my favorite game of the series. It controlled perfectly and the mods for it were pretty amazing, like the RPG mod and Monkey Matrix Moves. Still haven't played a FPS RPG as good.

FuLLBLeeD

Neo Member
In b4:

• no dedicated servers
  • no LAN play
  • no mod tools

Epic is running UT3 servers on their own dime 7 years after release that run community chosen custom maps. They have also released huge bonus packs for every UT game they've released. They ARE NOT one of the companies that pull this shit.

Ok, I'm interested, but I'm not getting my hopes up yet. I wouldn't mind a good f2p implementation.
Assuming for the moment that this will be F2P, a CS:GO-like model (weapon skins) seems more likely to me than a TF2-like model (hats and stuff). Player avatar alterations wouldn't be a good fit for an arena shooter.
How so? 2k4 had like a 100 characters in it. Or do you mean because of the fast gameplay? Either way, it could well have both. Also taunt packs.

Ok, I'm interested, but I'm not getting my hopes up yet. I wouldn't mind a good f2p implementation.

How so? 2k4 had like a 100 characters in it. Or do you mean because of the fast gameplay? Either way, it could well have both. Also taunt packs.

Serious players will always use bright skins anyway so I can see how it can be problematic.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Serious players will always use bright skins anyway so I can see how it can be problematic.

Yeah, I was referring to competitive play. But I suppose it'd be quite easy to implement a tournament mode that disables character model vanity items and forces the use of a default skin.

In b4:

• no dedicated servers
  • no LAN play
  • no mod tools

Mutators DLC....

actually, if they were smart about this (assuming this is going to be a UT F2P game), they should take the Valve route and offer user generated models/ skins/ mutators to be sold, and just take a small cut from each sale.

Top Bottom