• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marty O'Donnell Fired By Bungie

UrbanRats

It was over a year ago, maybe even two years. He and I argued about it on Twitter for a little bit. I can almost 100% say that it wasn't what got him fired. I mean really, there's no way it was. I only mentioned it cause it's the one (important) blemish on my otherwise unwavering love for the man.

Oh i see, i thought he was being relentless with it or something.
Well then i am curious to know why would they fire a talent like him.

Then again, Ubisoft didn't pick up Jesper Kyd for AC3 (which not surprisingly had a bland OST), so anything can happen in this industry.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Two years ago?

You made it sound like it was last week. :p

No offense, but if you're going to post something like that in this thread, why don't you tell us it was years ago? You essentially threw a hand grenade in this thread that's led to a lot of speculation already when he apparently has done nothing like that recently.
My bad. I just meant to add in a personal nitpick rather than spark a bunch of unbased speculation. I'll edit the post, but it's been quoted a million times already, so the damage is done I suppose.

Draconian

They could have just let him go then. Termination is a punitive move. You're putting a black mark on someone's record and telling them to fuck off.

I guess I'm going to have to go back and edit that post, because I was being sarcastic. Of all the reasons that have been suggested in this thread, I'd put the quality of his work at the very bottom of the possibilities as to why he was fired.

Random17

My first reaction is "all of my whats", but I'm guessing that there must be some really good reason to fire 30% of the Halo franchise just like that.

I'm still in shock.

catmario

Bungie suiside itself.

This means that Bungie's one of the big icon has disappeared.

You'll regret that bungie.

Now 343 must take him back!

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
434 was the original Bungie building until they moved to their current site.

It's NOW home to 343i.

lolwut
They were originally in Chicago.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Trying to extrapolate from 140 characters and one side of the story. Sounds like the internets.
Dude, this news is huge. There's no way people aren't going to talk about it. All we can do is speculate until more info is released.

Doodis

What the hell? Head am assplode! I was seriously looking forward to his work with Paul McCartney on Destiny. What in the world are they going to do now? Use all his music up-to-date? Hire someone to quickly rewrite the entire score in a few short months? This is madness!

Squire

Banned
I guess I'm going to have to go back and edit that post, because I was being sarcastic. Of all the reasons that have been suggested in this thread, I'd put the quality of his work at the very bottom of the possibilities as to why he was fired.

Oh, haha, yeah.

There's definitely a reason for this. Bungie's BOD didn't turn into a pack of morons and/or just start hating Marty over night. They have a reason for this and I have to imagine it's a good one. The dude is an asset.

HTupolev

Bungie just shot themselves in the foot...
I was thinking about making that post, but it feels too real.

For over a decade, Marty O'Donnell is an actual massive part of the appeal of Bungie games in and of themselves. It's more than a peripheral oddity, like with FFXIII's multiplat situation.

RoKKeR

This is pretty crazy. I wonder what must of happened.

image.php

:(

Argggggghhhh I don't want to go to bed pissed. Some serious shit must have gone done for them to fire somebody as important as Marty.

Fuck this!

Frologic

Woah, can't wait to hear the details on this. Hopefully he stays with game industry. Wherever he goes, I can at least know that the next game he works on will have a good soundtrack/343plz.

KarmaCow

I don't know, it seems kinda weird that he would just announce getting fired, 4 days after the fact, on twitter. Sounds like he wanted to leave and is just drumming up twitter noise because he knows how dumb it can be.

edit: Though if he was just doing to laugh at the nonsense, he would have to expect fan backlash against Bungie in some way. Dunno, this is all weird. Going to wait for the follow up.

Top Bottom