• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Announces Promotion With Arms Manufacturer Northrop Grumman At NYCC

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Trump supporter conservative Perlmutter, and as expected it looks like it's just the worse. Christ no Marvel.

That's not the strange thing. The strange thing is that Disney was ok with this because there's no way this happened without large sums of money changing hands.

Tonedeff

On top of being pretty self evident (partnering with war profiteers = bad!), it's been explained pretty thoroughly by several people throughout this thread. If you still don't get why this is bizarrely evil, you're either not arguing in good faith or are being willfully obtuse.

So when I partnered with these people through my enlistment, was I being evil? I dropped missiles on actual human beings you know

No its from the final arc of Garth Ennis' run of Punisher MAX which is pretty much the best Punisher run. Its actually an attack of the military industrial complex and Frank takes on a bunch of corrupt generals that are profiting off it.

It's legitimately one of the best comics ever made, and the juxtaposition of the anti-war messaging throughout the entire series to 600 lb American militia Chris Kyle wannabes slapping the Punisher skull on the hood of the F150 they drive near the Mexican border "on patrol" is as funny as it is immensely depressing.

Kinda surprised Bob Iger would let this go through. I get it, money and all, but being someone that’s floated the idea of running for President on the Democratic ticket you’d think he would be more aware of the optics for himself, let alone the company.
Perlmutter has the 3rd most stock in Disney IIRC. This smells of him so badly

So when I worked with recruiters, was I being evil then? I got several dozen people to join, no doubt they went on to kill people

Okay I'll take the bait: yes you were. And if instead of recruiting several dozen people to join, you instead spread a insidious pro-MIC message to children across the world in the guise of a superhero book, you'd be even more evil.

What the absolute fuck is this shit? This is DISGUSTING. I can barely process how stupid this decision is.

So when I worked with recruiters, was I being evil then? I got several dozen people to join, no doubt they went on to kill people

3VwfviR.gif

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I'm not going to say all military contractors are evil or wrong.

But this shit right here is. Just because there's a moral grey area over the military doesn't mean you should start using anti-military interventions kids properties to recruit your next generation. Not in such a obviously manipulative way.

This is overt propaganda.

You boycotting Disney and Star Wars as well? Same House of Mouse

he'd be missing out on the big pop culture zeitgeist, but not on particularly great movies or anything really.

also what a slimy move. sucks for the creators and artists at marvel who I assume are mostly not happy with this. got Perlmutter's fingerprints all over it.

They're more of an Aerospace company than an "Arms Manufacturer". I'm not even sure if they make actual weapons systems, their business is mostly in aircraft, spacecraft, and radar.

You know, I was thinking the same exact thing. This is all based on personal experience since I work directly with them daily.

Watch this have to do with Avengers and their aircraft are NGC built.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I might drop their comics over this. Don't care much for their films.
Mmmh... Can I still watch the X-Men movies since that's Fox? Because those I'm definitely too weak to boycott.
Those should be fine I doubt Marvel gets much money from them as they treat them as the red headed stepchild anyway.

This honestly this is very, very sad.

I think people in here are overreacting. They aren’t going to have NGC guns and shooting them and shit. At most you’ll see NGC branded aircraft or maybe at most an Aircraft missile or ship laser system in a movie.

I’m banking on seeing this in Avengers.

Now I want to ask my NGC connections if they have some cool stuff they can send me. :)

Dre3001

I'm not going to say all military contractors are evil or wrong.

But this shit right here is. Just because there's a moral grey area over the military doesn't mean you should start using anti-military interventions kids properties to recruit your next generation. Not I such a obviously manipulative way.

This is overt propaganda.

Great post.

I defended this move from marvel before I saw the posters but this falls under blatant propaganda.

Almost every large aerospace manufacturer makes both commercial planes and military aircrafts so the whole notion of singling out Northrop didn't make sense to me.

For example Boeing is the largest aerospace manufacturer in the world. They make the majority of planes used by commercial airlines like Delta, Southwest, United, etc. such as the 747 and others. At the same time they also make tons of combat aircrafts like the F/A-18 Super Hornet that is used by the Navy.

So by some of the arguments in this thread does that mean you should boycott those airlines since technically they are in business with a company making combat aircrafts.

I definitely think this is a poor move after seeing the posters and comic book covers posted in this thread however people jumping at Northrop should take a closer look at the majority of companies out there and see what exactly they are involved in.

What's y'alls opinions on the military working with Hollywood? Serious question

It's bad.

Great post.

I defended this move from marvel before I saw the posters but this falls under blatant propaganda.

Almost every large aerospace manufacturer makes both commercial planes and military aircrafts so the whole notion of singling out Northrop didn't make sense to me.

For example Boening is the largest aerospace manufacturer in the world. They make the majority of planes used by commercial airlines like Delta, Southwest, United, etc. such as the 747 and others. At the same time they also make tons of combat aircrafts like the F/A-18 Super Hornet that is used by the Navy.

So by some of the arguments in this thread does that mean you should boycott those airlines?

I definitely think this is a poor move after seeing the posters and comic book covers posted in this thread however people jumping at Northrop should take a closer look at the majority of companies out there and see what exactly they are involved in.

This is a dumb equivalency because flight is necessary in the day-to-day life of millions of people, and comic books aren't.

Top Bottom