• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT3| 80.8 % Certified Fresh

SpaceWolf

Banned
tumblr_m5zjp2aX6E1r2b3wjo6_250.gif

I don't feel they really went anywhere with this.

The Kree

Banned
Maybe it did imply that originally, or that Loki had returned to earth after falling from the bridge and then began manipulating Selvig, but I didn't interpret the scene that literally. It's possible that if the scene was literally saying that, it left Whedon in a corner that he didn't want to or couldn't write his way out of, so you have to interpret it differently.

The scene of Stark talking to Ross was also written back when the plan was to have the Hulk as the villain against the Avengers, but we know that's also not what happened.

mreddie

Oh yeah, the stinger at the end was the official start but I remember still not buying Avengers til ComicCon 2011, seeing the leaked trailer with Nine Inch Nails.

Also, they were teasing a Justice League for so long, even without Batman beforehand hence why I calling bullshit for awhile

exYle

Is there an explanation for why there is a camera in the woods recording when Bucky kills Howard?

Howard told Tony that he had to stop off somewhere before the airport, and Tony guesses the Pentagon. Tony later says his parents never made it to the airport. So given he had the WS formula in his trunk he was probably headed to some government facility

AMUSIX

l0eVK7tm.jpg
DlTdPL9m.jpg

MaHPGrPm.jpg
VshtLeFm.jpg

IroIhjSm.jpg

...and that's how you build a universe. You don't just announce that you're going to do a Transformers Universe and think that the work is done. Or a Monster one, or a Spider-Man one or whatever. You make 3 or 4 movies that have almost nothing to do with one another, have a tiny thread in each, and then you tie all the threads together.

I guess it does seem like that's what they're doing with Godzilla/Kong (though could have had one more movie before bringing them together) so, hooray there.

SpaceWolf

Banned
l0eVK7tm.jpg
DlTdPL9m.jpg

MaHPGrPm.jpg
VshtLeFm.jpg

IroIhjSm.jpg

...and that's how you build a universe. You don't just announce that you're going to do a Transformers Universe and think that the work is done. Or a Monster one, or a Spider-Man one or whatever. You make 3 or 4 movies that have almost nothing to do with one another, have a tiny thread in each, and then you tie all the threads together.

I guess it does seem like that's what they're doing with Godzilla/Kong (though could have had one more movie before bringing them together) so, hooray there.

And the Monster one, which you just mentioned.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Wonder Woman currently has a higher Rotten Tomatoes rating than any MCU-related project, whether in film or television.

That's one hell of a comeback for Warner Brothers.

Wonder Woman currently has a higher Rotten Tomatoes rating than any MCU-related project, whether in film or television.

That's one hell of a comeback for Warner Brothers.

Thats awesome man

DC needed a win and its cool that its coming from a movie with a female lead

GAMEPROFF

Banned
And even for those who dont care for DC stuff - competition is always good.

Now Captain Marvel needs to be a 97% RT Score movie ;)

curb

Banned
I'm super excited to see Wonder Woman this weekend. I hope it does really well. Studios need to see that not all female driven comic movies turn out like Catwoman :p

Ithil

l0eVK7tm.jpg
DlTdPL9m.jpg

MaHPGrPm.jpg
VshtLeFm.jpg

IroIhjSm.jpg

Godzilla is getting a sequel first before the team-up/versus/whatever it is. Given it's only two monsters starring, not a whole group, I think two Godzilla films and one Kong film is enough to set them up.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
The next Godzilla movie has four monster :/

Still, they did a smart move with the whole MONARCH thing that connects the universe. Its really basicly SHIELD. Should have just had a Coulson like guy who shows up everywhere.

The Kree

Banned
Godzilla is getting a sequel first before the team-up/versus/whatever it is. Given it's only two monsters starring, not a whole group, I think two Godzilla films and one Kong film is enough to set them up.

Those films don't need set up. The monsters don't have anything resembling real personalities and the mythology isn't going to be complex. You could watch those movies in any order playing in reverse with the sound muted and it would matter little. The set up matters about as much as whether an earthquake happens before or after a tornado. Your shit's all fucked up either way.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Those films don't need set up. The monsters don't have anything resembling real personalities and the mythology isn't going to be complex.
Depends. They want to have Mothra in Godzilla II and you need some time to set up Mothra to make it the proper way. I think its super problematic that they also have Rhodan and King Gidorah around and a plot revolving around humans.

The Kree

Banned
A giant butterfly is either going to come from space or is laying dormant on earth in a cocoon disguised as a mountain.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
A giant butterfly is either going to come from space or is laying dormant on earth in a cocoon disguised as a mountain.
Yeah, thats the shitty low-effort way to do it. I hope they embrace the originals and have Infant Island and at least something resembeling the two fairies around.

Jessica Jones without
Kilgrave
is leaving me a bit nervous about the show.
Her current book is amazing. Maybe they realized that he people want more investigation and have no real supervillain around.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Jessica Jones without
Kilgrave
is leaving me a bit nervous about the show.

Only about 4% of Jessica's stories in the comic books have revolved around Kilgrave.

Most of the time, she's just out in the Marvel Universe as a P.I, solving cases and getting drunk...and those were the parts of Season 1 where the show was at its best. I think with Kilgrave gone, the show has the potential to be even better.

SpaceWolf

Banned
We still have the supersoldier pill thing and the company behind it.

They'll be using this for Daredevil Season 3's rumoured Born Again arc, I reckon.

Even though it was the worst aspect of that story by far and comes completely out of left field in the comic.

El Topo

Joke's on you guys, I was a mole, I was Team DC the whole time!
Now is the time for Hydra Team DC to take over!

Hail DC!

Pachimari

Just finished a rewatch of Captain America: The First Avenger, and man is this better than I remember it, considerably so. I love the whole style it's going for, and it reminds me of those old age Danish films my father grew up with but of course with an American twist to it. The way people dress, how they speak to each other, and what more can be said of those Captain America songs the US went so crazy for back in the 1940s. It's a great period piece of a superhero movie. I feel like the villainy side of the plot was undercook though, and that Hydra wasn't really build up well, but Steve Rogers journey from dreaming about fighting for America at the forefronts to actually doing so sat well with me. I really liked the portrayal of Johann Schmidt and his German accent English, it has a feel to it, and I really hope he comes back some road down the line. I honestly couldn't remember Dr. Erskine, the Howling Commandos or Chester Phillips but now they'll probably stick in my head for a while. Erskine for one had a really big role to play.

Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/OVavRXW.jpg[/img]

HAIL HYDRA!!!

Ithil

Those films don't need set up. The monsters don't have anything resembling real personalities and the mythology isn't going to be complex. You could watch those movies in any order playing in reverse with the sound muted and it would matter little. The set up matters about as much as whether an earthquake happens before or after a tornado. Your shit's all fucked up either way.

I feel like it's worth establishing the tone and style they're going for for each monster, since there's been many version sof Godzilla and Kong, and what's more they both, particularly Godzilla, have more than enough value as their own properties. Neither should only exist in some kind of teamup/versus movie. I doubt the Godzilla sequel is going to solely be a "set-up movie", it'll be a Godzilla film and sequel to the 2014 film first and foremost.

But if there had been no 2014 Godzilla film, and no Kong film this year, you couldn't just suddenly launch into Godzilla vs. King Kong out of nowhere.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
They'll be using this for Daredevil Season 3's rumoured Born Again arc, I reckon.

Even though it was the worst aspect of that story by far and comes completely out of left field in the comic.

They could have the Nuke stuff branch off into DD, but it'll definitely show up in JJ. It'd be weird to start a major story arc and have it resolve on another show.

Just finished a rewatch of Captain America: The First Avenger, and man is this better than I remember it, considerably so. I love the whole style it's going for, and it reminds me of those old age Danish films my father grew up with but of course with an American twist to it. The way people dress, how they speak to each other, and what more can be said of those Captain America songs the US went so crazy for back in the 1940s. It's a great period piece of a superhero movie. I feel like the villainy side of the plot was undercook though, and that Hydra wasn't really build up well, but Steve Rogers journey from dreaming about fighting for America at the forefronts to actually doing so sat well with me. I really liked the portrayal of Johann Schmidt and his German accent English, it has a feel to it, and I really hope he comes back some road down the line. I honestly couldn't remember Dr. Erskine, the Howling Commandos or Chester Phillips but now they'll probably stick in my head for a while. Erskine for one had a really big role to play.

Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/OVavRXW.jpg[/img]

HAIL HYDRA!!!

Cap 1 is underrated and gets way too much flak for the montage scene. I would have loved to have seen more of his time with the Commandos doing missions in WW2, but I wouldn't sacrifice any of the character stuff for it. Wish we could get more Red Skull one day. It would be cool if he somehow "escapes" wherever he went after Infinity War.

Top Bottom