• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT3| 80.8 % Certified Fresh

jph139

Man, I really did want Fury as Spider-Man's "keeper," if only because their relationship in the Ultimate universe was so good. But it doesn't really make sense given the current state of the character and the MCU. A shame.

Sony announcing plans for those Spider-Man spin-offs has the stench of Tom Rothman swinging his crusty dick as a threat.

I kinda get that your piece of shit company is about to lose Bond, can't get a single big franchise off the ground and is basically the Spider-Man company. It must really hurt to know that the only thing that has the potential to keep it afloat is the one thing you hate the most. As I said in the other thread, building a cinematic universe around one character is kinda idiotic. Between now and July 2019, Tom Holland is gonna be in 4 movies as Spider-Man. Many of these villains and supporting characters depend on Spidey to work. Their dynamic with Spidey is what makes them interesting in the first place. You really think he wants or can add more to that?

But again, this is the third time Sony's attempting a Venom film. We'll see how it turns out this time.

350 million.

Worldwide, not domestic.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I really hope Statham makes it into the MCU at some
point.

Here's our favorite dog, Lockjaw! He's so cute.

giphy.gif

At least this looks good, unlike everything else in that Inhumans trailer.

aww lockjaw is too good for this mess

Pachimari

Just finished another rewatch of Sam Raimi's Spider-Man, and I still really like it. Green Goblin is terrifying at times, especially with that sound it comes with whenever they play up that jumpscare. His use of his grenades is inconsistent since it burned 3 citizens to their skeletons but only tear apart Spider-Man's mask, but that last fight in the abandoned building was gory and something else. I also love how he figures out who's behind the mask and proceeds to go for the ones he loves the most. And those flying grenades with razor sharp blades in slow motion was damn cool. I actually really like how they set up this villain, with Norman Osborn feeling the pressure of having a human enhancing drug ready so he can land that important contract, but instead it turns him into this devil which takes revenge on the board of Oscorp as they voted him out of his own company. Very well done. Danny Elfman's score also really help elevate this Spider-Man to great heights, I got the theme on my mind.

And btw, I've clicked on the OT thread three times now almost spoiling myself, so I've just decided to unsubscribe until I've seen Homecoming myself.

-------------

The Defenders will be at the biggest stage of San Diego Comic Con, at Hal H, they've just confirmed on Twitter with the caption "Ready for whatever."

SArcher

Banned
I''m a little annoyed at Feige's recent comments concerning the success of WW i.e. it shows what he always knew to be true - female superhero movies can work. But based on his actions he never believed that. I mean, Captain Marvel will be their 21st film. Like, when they announced the film it seriously felt like Feige going "fine, here, you'll get a movie in 6 years. Now shut up". Feige's been dragging his heels on a female-led superhero movie for as long as possible.

^^^ Feige had to build a universe full of c and d list marvel characers. DC didn't have to build shit because they have all their characters from the jump. Tell me how would have a black widow film expanded the mcu? When you get postive mind share THEN you can move out into the crazy shit.

CM couldve been phase 1 but they just didn't plan it out that way.

El Topo

I''m a little annoyed at Feige's recent comments concerning the success of WW i.e. it shows what he always knew to be true - female superhero movies can work. But based on his actions he never believed that. I mean, Captain Marvel will be their 21st film. Like, when they announced the film it seriously felt like Feige going "fine, here, you'll get a movie in 6 years. Now shut up". Feige's been dragging his heels on a female-led superhero movie for as long as possible.

Feige has said a lot of dumb and (kinda) shitty things about that, see the various threads about it we've had. It seems too easy to blame everything on Perlmutter, even though his Sony e-mail was embarassing.

Fairly certain Black Widow would have happened in Phase 2 if Perlmutter wasn't calling shots back then.

We will know when we see their next slate of movies.

SArcher

Banned
Like, I can understand Feige being skeptical, but I'm calling BS on him now saying he's always been in support of female-led films.

Anth0ny

Even with exchange rates that aren't great and stiff competition?

What competition? Spidey is going to steamroll Apes and Dunkirk. There's nothing else.

Guys, Guardians 2 made $850m and it's still not done its run. A Spidey with Iron Man and amazing RT score + word of mouth will hit a billion.

And I still want a straight up Bond-style spy/espionage movie with Black Widow, damn it.

Feige has said a lot of dumb and (kinda) shitty things about that, see the various threads about it we've had. It seems too easy to blame everything on Perlmutter, even though his Sony e-mail was embarassing.

What has he said thats shitty? Dude is like anti controversy to the t. Especially compared to the other Hollywood execs.

Feige's comments come off as empty and meaningless.

I think it's totally fair to blame him for Marvel's output since he is the public face of the company. I have little interest in crucifying the man though because I don't think any productive conversation can emerge out of that. I think framing the conversation around what others didn't takes away from what Wonder Woman did.

The connectivity of the MCU films is really exaggerated by some people. My parents watched Civil War with no problem and they barely watch Marvel movies.

(Yes, I read that dumb article)
I don't feel Johansson'd out because I haven't seen a Scar Jo film that wasn't an MCU film :3
I mean, she's alright to good in the Marvel movies but I feel that someone else (like Emily Blunt!) can do so much better.

SArcher

Banned
I have a sneaking suspicion that Phase 4 is gonna be loaded with women-led films.

Who does Marvel Studios have though, other than Black Widow and Captain Marvel? Jessica Drew (Spider-Woman) apparently belongs to Sony. I guess they could go with legacy heroes like Kate Bishop or Jane Thor (although Portman doesn't seem to be interested). Wasp & Scarlet Witch probably won't get solos.

If they don't bungle the next few films (don't see how they can), then Marvel Studios will basically have eternal goodwill (until their first fuckup). They can make any movie they want. Low, medium or big budget. Director driven shit.

She-Hulk court dramedy.
Hawkguy movie.
Ms. Marvel.
Squirrel Girl.
OG Guardians heist movie.
Some really trippy introspective Doctor Strange sequel (won't happen lol).

The possibilities are endless, especially if they're done with phases and building up to a big bad.

Things are already looking up after the sad state of the last 9 or so years. I'm sure it's not 100% Perlmutter, but there were sketchy areas that likely didn't fall under Feige's purview, like the lack of Black Widow merch and the poster poses.

El Topo

What has he said thats shitty? Dude is like anti controversy to the t. Especially compared to the other Hollywood execs.

We've had plenty of threads solely about Feige's comments. Maybe shitty is a strong choice of words, I will admit that (and tried to soften it with 'kinda'), but he's said plenty of things over the years when it comes to women in MCU. I'm too lazy to find the last big thread, but this one has quite a few dumb statements already. I think we had more extensive threads at GAF, but I'm too lazy to search right now.

Things are already looking up after the sad state of the last 9 or so years. I'm sure it's not 100% Perlmutter, but there were sketchy areas that likely didn't fall under Feige's purview, like the lack of Black Widow merch and the poster poses.

Hey, we will know when they show their next slate of movies if Feige is all talk.

shingi70

Banned
^^^ Feige had to build a universe full of c and d list marvel characers. DC didn't have to build shit because they have all their characters from the jump. Tell me how would have a black widow film expanded the mcu? When you get postive mind share THEN you can move out into the crazy shit.

CM couldve been phase 1 but they just didn't plan it out that way.

Damn having a female or Black Lead is a crazy thing now.

curb

Banned
Who does Marvel Studios have though, other than Black Widow and Captain Marvel? Jessica Drew (Spider-Woman) apparently belongs to Sony. I guess they could go with legacy heroes like Kate Bishop or Jane Thor (although Portman doesn't seem to be interested). Wasp & Scarlet Witch probably won't get solos.

That makes me sad.

Pachimari

I wonder if they will even announce a "slate of movies" next time, in oppose to just announcing movies a year or two into the future, so they can change up their plans any given time.

El Topo

I wonder if they will even announce a "slate of movies" next time, in oppose to just announcing movies a year or two into the future, so they can change up their plans any given time.

I think they already said they wouldn't announce movies like last time, but I assume we'll learn about the 2020 movies maybe next year?

I have a sneaking suspicion that Phase 4 is gonna be loaded with women-led films.

I would bet my avatar against it, but, uh, I just lost a 6-month bet. :D

Being 100 what female characters apart from CM does marvel even have? All the good characters are at fox from my view. Hell WW is top 4 superheroes of all time and it TOOK HER 75 YEARS.

it's going to be very diverse

captain marvel
valkyrie
the wasp
scarlet witch
black panther
asian namor?
phyla vell quasar?
minority adam warlock?

I think I'd be done with marvel films with that wasteman character list

Pachimari

I think they already said they wouldn't announce movies like last time, but I assume we'll learn about the 2020 movies maybe next year?

I would bet my avatar against it, but, uh, I just lost a 6-month bet. :D
You won't get any announcements next year. Feige said they won't talk about future projects until Avengers 4 is out. Or maybe I'm misremembering it.

I don't think I would be against a Wasp solo movie if it was based on her new series. And I would love for Ms Marvel to get a solo movie and for Lockjaw to cameo.

El Topo

You won't get any announcements next year. Feige said they won't talk about future projects until Avengers 4 is out. Or maybe I'm misremembering it.

Avengers 4 is in mid-2019. If they're going to keep pushing out three movies a year, we should inevitably hear about their 2020 projects before that. Whether they will really talk about it is another issue.

SArcher

Banned
I don't think I would be against a Wasp solo movie if it was based on her new series. And I would love for Ms Marvel to get a solo movie and for Lockjaw to cameo.

For a second there I though you were gonna suggest a Lockjaw solo movie. Now that would be experimental.

I think one of Marvel's issues on the female front is that a LARGE portion of their most popular female superhero characters are either mutants, or have some kind of space background which only just got opened up in the MCU when GotG dropped. That said, there has been and I'm sure still is definitely a lot of market justification for a Black Widow movie even if I'm not personally interested in that. I'm curious if that's something ScarJo has ever tried to personally push. I have a hard time believing they'd brush her off so easily considering how much they pay her compared to everyone else besides RDJ.

I like black widow but she's boring af though. Hell the main reason I'm exited for justice League is for Gadot and affleck. Marvel doesn't have a female character of that stature here.

Pachimari

I've been waiting so long for a Black Widow solo. But I would only want it if it explored her past. We ain't ready to say goodbye to Scarlet Johansson either. Actually, imagine getting a new Widow played by Charlize Theron with her becoming such an action star.

Top Bottom