• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT3| 80.8 % Certified Fresh

mreddie

Jeph Loeb looks like he wishes he could abandon this job like he did Nova.

And yet, it got better when he left.

If this show has to crash and burn, I hope it's on a grand scale enough to get Disney to push Marvel TV under the Marvel Studios banner and oust Perlmutter so that Feige can just run the whole live action MCU offering.

The only thing I see happening is Loeb getting the boot and Buck not doing any Marvel again. This could also be bad for Marvel TV as ABC will just end it all and have Marvel be Digital and Freeform only.

The only thing I see happening is Loeb getting the boot and Buck not doing any Marvel again. This could also be bad for Marvel TV as ABC will just end it all and have Marvel be Digital and Freeform only.

If this show has to crash and burn, I hope it's on a grand scale enough to get Disney to push Marvel TV under the Marvel Studios banner and oust Perlmutter so that Feige can just run the whole live action MCU offering.
Loeb's not going to leave and neither is Perlmutter as a result of this.

It'll definitely weaken Perlmutter's rank in Disney considering everything behind "Inhumans" was because of him, but he's not getting fired unless he gets convicted of this:
Both Perlmutter and Peerenboom live in a swanky waterfront Palm Beach complex known as Sloan’s Curve, where in 2011, a dispute erupted over the tennis courts. Peerenboom didn’t like how these tennis courts were being run by a woman named Karen Donnelly for more than a decade without competitive bidding on a contract. So Peerenboom lobbied other residents at the glitzy community to address the situation. Perlmutter didn’t appreciate this. Donnelly would file a lawsuit against Peerenboom for allegedly smearing her at community board meetings. Later, it was revealed, the Marvel chairman had secretly contributed money for Donnelly's legal campaign.

But the tennis court grudge match went much, much further.

That year, Peerenboom's neighbors received anonymous mailings critical of the Toronto businessman's politics. Subsequent mailings to Peerenboom's business colleagues would accuse him of attempting to cover up a sexual assault and supporting Adolf Hitler's "Final Solution." One series of mailings allegedly went out to more than a thousand inmates in prisons across Florida and Ontario, Canada, in Peerenboom's name, with provoking statements like, "While your [sic] in jail, I am writing to your mom, telling her exactly what kind of scumbag you are."
And he's apparently not getting convicted for that, so he's going to be in charge of Marvel for a bit.

And yet, it got better when he left.

that will never happen, lol

Loeb's not going to leave and neither is Perlmutter as a result of this.

It'll definitely weaken Perlmutter's rank in Disney considering everything behind "Inhumans" was because of him, but he's not getting fired unless he gets convicted of this:

And he's apparently not getting convicted for that, so he's going to be in charge of Marvel for a bit.

They just need to convince Perlmutter now that his pet project has been brought to fruition, it's maybe time he take a step back and enjoy the benefits of simply being a shareholder with an "senior executive producer" credit, and allow someone else to take over direct day to day handling of the decision making for the direction of the TV side of things.

Loeb I think just needs more oversight and someone with an eye for talent and story to have the ability to step in when needed and keep things on track.

Buck gotta be bounced. blacklisted off the Disney lot.

Lol @ the idea that Perlmutter can be convinced of anything. You don't get to his position and rep from being easily manipulated or easily coerced. They're gonna let dude rock until he retires or is found guilty of some truly heinous stuff within the company. Because it isn't worth the bs they would have to deal with otherwise.

Fhtagn

God, this must suck so bad for all the Inhumans fans out there.

All 3 of them must be super depressed right now.

I'd say I'm a casual fan of Inhumans, and yeah, this is bleak. It was obvious this wasn't going to be great when they announced it with so little time before it airs, but this sounds like a worst case scenario.

Hopefully this and Iron Fist has Disney aware they have a quality problem brewing in Marvel TV. At least the reviews for defenders have been generally positive.

Lol @ the idea that Perlmutter can be convinced of anything. You don't get to his position and rep from being easily manipulated or easily coerced. They're gonna let dude rock until he retires or is found guilty of some truly heinous stuff within the company. Because it isn't worth the bs they would have to deal with otherwise.
Tbf, he is reaching retirement age soon, at most we get another bomb for the TV side ( Hopefully not runaways) before he hand over his role to another.

duckroll

Tbf, he is reaching retirement age soon, at most we get another bomb for the TV side ( Hopefully not runaways) before he hand over his role to another.

Are you joking? Certain businessmen never retire. He's only in his 70s. Stan Lee is 94 and he's still shilling bad ideas to Japan and companies are buying them.

Are you joking? Certain businessmen never retire. He's only in his 70s. Stan Lee is 94 and he's still shilling bad ideas to Japan and companies are buying them.
I always figured Stan Lee have a hands-off approach to marvel and am doing his own stuff. I guess I am wrong for assuming that others will be like him and half retire to do whatever else.

duckroll

I always figured Stan Lee have a hands-off approach to marvel and am doing his own stuff. I guess I am wrong for assuming that others will be like him and half retire to do whatever else.

Stan Lee has nothing to do with Marvel any more. He has his own production company Pow Entertainment and has actively been developing crappy shit targeting other markets for years now. In particular he seems to be able to sell ideas to Japan for anime and manga!

God, this must suck so bad for all the Inhumans fans out there.

All 3 of them must be super depressed right now.

It's extremely depressing to me. Especially after getting my hopes inflated with the AoS and comics wide buildup of Inhumans and the original movie announcement. For it to end up like this is just... T__T

Is it too much to hope that Ike decides to take a step back for whatever reason and let someone more "capable" take over and give us what we want?
I don't care if Disney is able to offer him something more valuable than a hands on position in the TV side... they were able to pull him off movies, so I don't see why they can't just sit him down in a penthouse office on Mt. Disney's Money Vault and tell him they are going in a different direction.
Or maybe he just feels that he accomplished what he wanted in Inhumans and wants to kick back in the board room on his yacht and drink scotch all day... I don't know....

I know i'm not the only one that would like Marvel Studio's to just handle the whole MCU and for Ike to just retire w/ an honorary "executive producer" credit on everything going forward. I'm sure it's not at all likely to happen, but that's the same thing that was said about Spider-man in the MCU.

The Kree

Banned
Perlmutter strikes me as the kind of guy who goes home and stares at the wall when he's not at work. He's probably going to die at his desk.

Is it too much to hope that Ike decides to take a step back for whatever reason and let someone more "capable" take over and give us what we want?
I don't care if Disney is able to offer him something more valuable than a hands on position in the TV side... they were able to pull him off movies, so I don't see why they can't just sit him down in a penthouse office on Mt. Disney's Money Vault and tell him they are going in a different direction.
Or maybe he just feels that he accomplished what he wanted in Inhumans and wants to kick back in the board room on his yacht and drink scotch all day... I don't know....

I know i'm not the only one that would like Marvel Studio's to just handle the whole MCU and for Ike to just retire w/ an honorary "executive producer" credit on everything going forward. I'm sure it's not at all likely to happen, but that's the same thing that was said about Spider-man in the MCU.

The thing is, Disney only pulled the movies away because Feige was doing extremely well and he requested it. Taking TV away from Perlmutter and Loeb would be harder because they'd be left with nothing and I seriously doubt Feige would want to add TV to his responsibilities. Joss could have possibly done it but he's bowed out and I don't think his Brother and Sister-in-law have done well enough on AoS to earn Disney's absolute trust (if they even want more than just the one show).

Honestly, it is too much to hope. At least at this moment.

SpaceWolf

Banned
They're crossing over at some point (IIRC?) so makes sense.

Just struck by the insinuation that AoS seems to have its own continuity which Inhumans is adapting to, as opposed to the larger MCU. It's akin to saying Ant-Man is set within "Thor Continuity". It's not a big deal, the wording just struck me as strange.

Glass Rebel

I think it's a (mostly) unspoken fact by now that all the platforms have their own continuity but aren't completely separate from each other. They will refer to the movies to varying degrees but only have connections to each other. The Netflix shows are separate, the ABC shows are separate, Freeform shows are gonna be separate and if Hulu makes another TV show it's gonna be connected to Runaways. Obviously, some connections work better like how Agent Carter is probably the only show that can be placed into the movie continuity (afaik).

That said, it's still fuck Scott Buck and fuck Jeph Loeb.

SpaceWolf

Banned
It's hard for me to dislike Jeph Loeb too much considering the man has written some of my all time favourite comics.

Why, Jeph? Why are you doing this to us?

Loeb isn't going anywhere. He oversees like a dozen shows, and most of them are pretty successful.
The notion of Loeb getting fired is pretty silly. The key objective of a TV studio exec is to get networks to buy your shows and this guy is probably one of the most successful exec at that today.

I guess when your studio is pumping at least a half dozen shows out at once it becomes much harder to QC everything though.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
That odd moment where you realize Evangeline Lilly seems to have put on more muscle for playing Wasp than Gal Gadot did for playing Wonder Woman.

Nothing against Gadot, though. It's the performance that matters.

She was already buffed up in Ant-Man and even in Lost, I guess it just says that in general she is in great shape.

SpaceWolf

Banned
She was already buffed up in Ant-Man and even in Lost, I guess it just says that in general she is in great shape.

That's a good point. Plus, The Hobbit, I guess!

Remember The Hobbit?

Evangeline played an elf called Tauriel.

Remember Tauriel?

She had a bow, I think.

Cheebo

Banned
I think it's a (mostly) unspoken fact by now that all the platforms have their own continuity but aren't completely separate from each other. They will refer to the movies to varying degrees but only have connections to each other. The Netflix shows are separate, the ABC shows are separate, Freeform shows are gonna be separate and if Hulu makes another TV show it's gonna be connected to Runaways. Obviously, some connections work better like how Agent Carter is probably the only show that can be placed into the movie continuity (afaik).

That said, it's still fuck Scott Buck and fuck Jeph Loeb.

That was also the only show produced by Kevin Feige.

It is pretty clear Marvel Studios as ran by Feige treats the TV MCU media just as much as canon as the DCEU treats the CW DC shows.

As in...not at all.

This would be the best case scenario

The TV people deserve better

Cheebo

Banned
Does Feige even want the tv side of things? He seemingly made no attempt to go after it and has eagerly deemed it non-canon for the films.

Glass Rebel

Last time I checked, Marvel Studios was like 50 people that assemble production crews for each of their 6+ movies they have in development at all times.

They are not suddenly gonna take on TV duties.

I'm just waiting for the day Feige says "fuck it" and makes the shows officially not canon by using the characters but with new actors, costumes and stories.

It's probably gonna happen.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I can't wait for The Defenders to amply supply me with many more gifs of Charlie Cox looking absolutely miserable, so I can continue to insert them in these kind of downbeat discussions.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Three episodes left, and I gotta say I'm kinda enjoying Iron Fist here. This Scott Buck is Hitler narrative that's especially infected Inhumans discussions now is kinda being undermined the farther I go here. I bet I'd like most things if the Internet didn't try its best to remind me that they are awful.

The Kree

Banned
Three episodes left, and I gotta say I'm kinda enjoying Iron Fist here. This Scott Buck is Hitler narrative that's especially infected Inhumans discussions now is kinda being undermined the farther I go here. I bet I'd like most things if the Internet didn't try its best to remind me that they are awful.
No shame in fuckin fat chicks either. You like what you like.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
No shame in fuckin fat chicks either. You like what you like.

image.php

Cheebo

Banned
Guys...Marvel Studios is a movie studio. They don't deal in television production work, and won't suddenly take it up within that particular banner.

Agent Carter.

Yes Agent Carter is the only show Marvel Studios/Feige had any involvement in. Which makes sense as it is the only show that actually seems to with the movies.

As for the Studios thing, I mean I get some thinking Marvel Studios COULD take over the shows (even though as stated that is likely never going to happen) if you use the Lucasfilm model.

Lucasfilm produces both the Star Wars live action movies and the animated tv shows, with the same group of producers and executives on both. And as such they actually flow into each-other a lot more seamlessly than any of the Marvel shows do with the films.

Top Bottom