• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT3| 80.8 % Certified Fresh

That's a good point. Plus, The Hobbit, I guess!

Remember The Hobbit?

Evangeline played an elf called Tauriel.

Remember Tauriel?

She had a bow, I think.

Honestly she looked freakin' amazing in that movie and kinda made me really sad I'll never get to make out with a hot elf woman

Also that pic is awesome, wow

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Well on Lost she had like one scene were she showed of her body, in season 1.

bsEMNNh.png

Well it's been a while since I've (re)-watched Lost, but she left me with the impression that she more or less stayed in this physical shape just by her arms and shoulders alone.

Quick

Banned
Three episodes left, and I gotta say I'm kinda enjoying Iron Fist here. This Scott Buck is Hitler narrative that's especially infected Inhumans discussions now is kinda being undermined the farther I go here. I bet I'd like most things if the Internet didn't try its best to remind me that they are awful.

I didn't think Iron Fist was terrible, but it has plenty to improve on.

No shame in fuckin fat chicks either. You like what you like.

aOaadpm.gif

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I didn't think Iron Fist was terrible, but it has plenty to improve on.

For sure, there are some definite issues here, but honestly nothing hugely worse than some of these other Marvel Netflix shows.

More than anything, I hope Danny just becomes more... likable. He sure comes off as a kid most of the time.

AMUSIX

Danny is supposed to be a kid. He was 10 when he became isolated from society. The monks that raised him didn't contribute to his basic social learning. He didn't have the normal interactions we all have during seriously formative years (school, playing with friends, dealing with the little inequalities of life, etc) so when he shows up to New York, he's seriously emotionally and socially stunted.

Not sure if they conveyed this very well, as I see a lot of people overlook it in their criticism of the character.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Danny is supposed to be a kid. He was 10 when he became isolated from society. The monks that raised him didn't contribute to his basic social learning. He didn't have the normal interactions we all have during seriously formative years (school, playing with friends, dealing with the little inequalities of life, etc) so when he shows up to New York, he's seriously emotionally and socially stunted.

Not sure if they conveyed this very well, as I see a lot of people overlook it in their criticism of the character.

Ehh. It's not like he was raised by apes, you could argue that he should have the emotional maturity of anyone else raised in Kunlun. Like his buddy who just showed up in Ep10. Sure, he's a transplant, dead parents, rough time, blah blah. He didn't have "normal" interactions but he sure had interactions, you'd expect maybe he should be extra cold or something but I'd say not quite so juvenile.

AMUSIX

Even prior to the crash, he was stunted socially. He spent his first years incredibly sheltered, didn't attend school, didn't interact with other kids outside of those selected in his parent's circle (like the Meechums). When the monks took him in, he already had a distorted view of the world.

I'm not trying to suggest that criticisms aren't valid, because they are, but this is just what the writers attempted (and failed) to present.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

take that nerds

:(

Well it's been a while since I've (re)-watched Lost, but she left me with the impression that she more or less stayed in this physical shape just by her arms and shoulders alone.

son of a BITCH!

thats where I fucking knew Evangeline from lol >_<

SArcher

Banned
So why did they cancel the movie? Did they think a tv show would be more beneficial?

Supposedly Feige never really cared for the Inhumans, It was Perlmutter who was pushing them. When Perlmutter then got ousted from Marvel Studios (film division) Feige dropped it from the MCU lineup and the project moved to TV. I blame both Perlmutter and Feige.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
I now really wanna see any early concept art Marvel Studios had done for The Inhumans movie.

Just imagine Attilan with Thor production values. :(

So why did they cancel the movie? Did they think a tv show would be more beneficial?

Feige dropping it probably has more to do with his idea of what to focus on for the MCU vs what Perlmutter wanted.

The idea for an Inhumans show probably was a combination of ABC (or Disney) wanting another network Marvel show, the Inhumans already being introduced in AoS, and the film plans being scrapped.

antonz

Inhumans were basically everything Feige has opposed.

They were introduced as a concept via a television show because Perlmutter agreed to let Loeb do so to introduce people to the Inhumans. Feige does not want any such you need to have seen this to understand that

SArcher

Banned
Inhumans were basically everything Feige has opposed.

They were introduced as a concept via a television show because Perlmutter agreed to let Loeb do so to introduce people to the Inhumans. Feige does not want any such you need to have seen this to understand that

I'm sure if Feige had really wanted to make the film he would have happily ignored the show and done his own thing. It's honestly just a matter of time until the movie side will totally contradict the shows.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Joe Robert Cole wrote a draft for the Inhumans film before he moved on to co-writing the Black Panther screenplay.

AMUSIX

Yup, Inhumans was purely a Perlmutter thing, which is why eventually total effort into the project was next to nothing. The Imax bit was a way to minimize the amount of Marvel money going towards it, and also a BS way for it to have a theatrical run. The whole thing is a really big 'fuck you' to Ike...I just feel sorry for the actors and directors and everyone who got caught up in it. It's sort of like the Corman Fantastic 4 thing.

Does Feige even want the tv side of things? He seemingly made no attempt to go after it and has eagerly deemed it non-canon for the films.

I seriously doubt Feige wants to take on the TV burden. Someone else would get the reigns if Ike and Loeb were kicked off.

Last time I checked, Marvel Studios was like 50 people that assemble production crews for each of their 6+ movies they have in development at all times.

They are not suddenly gonna take on TV duties.

Guys...Marvel Studios is a movie studio. They don't deal in television production work, and won't suddenly take it up within that particular banner.

I just figured that IF MCU TV fell under the Marvel Studios banner, whoever was actually put in charge of TV would have to be someone that was going to report to the person right under Fiege, who would also be in charge of making sure the TV shows aligned with, but didn't step on the toes of the movies. I wouldn't expect Fiege to take on the TV side of things directly, just more or less give them inroads to staying in continuity, and opportunities to be included in the movies where appropriate.

Still not likely to happen, but never say never.
It's not really that crazy of an idea.

I posted this in the other thread, but Chris Pratt's "Cowboy Ninja Viking" got a release date of June 2019. This probably means the project is getting closer to actually being a thing, which at best means, Guardians 3 isn't going to come out till 2020 which fits with the 3-year gap between those films.

AMUSIX

Yeah, Warlock was never going to be in Avengers 4, it serves as a passing of the torch from one group of heroes to the next.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Feige and Gunn have categorically stated that Warlock won't be making an appearance in either of the upcoming Avengers films, and that the character will instead be making his debut in Guardians 3.

EDIT: Hmm, just had a thought. Is James Gunn married to Anna Gunn? I wonder...

EDIT EDIT: No.

Fhtagn

Did you know James Gunn wrote the screenplay for the Dawn of The Dead remake which Zack Snyder directed?

Not to combo breaker, but I did, and for a little while it tricked me into thinking Snyder was worth paying attention to, but it really was Gunn who had the talent.

Even though this is the Marvel Cinematic Universe thread, why don't we ever talk about the Fox side of things?

It is still Marvel, for better or worse, but we rarely talk about things like...
- New Mutants filming
- Jessica Chastain as the head of the Shi'ar
- The fact that we now have an Ilyana Rasputin so I guess that means magic is coming to the X-Men universe?

Pachimari

You said it yourself basically.

It's an MCU thread.

Fox X-Men franchise gets their own news threads. That said, I was close to creating a X-Universe Community thread some time ago but decided against it.

The Kree

Banned
Even though this is the Marvel Cinematic Universe thread, why don't we ever talk about the Fox side of things?

It is still Marvel, for better or worse, but we rarely talk about things like...
- New Mutants filming
- Jessica Chastain as the head of the Shi'ar
- The fact that we now have an Ilyana Rasputin so I guess that means magic is coming to the X-Men universe?

I think we do from time to time, but the Fox stuff gets dedicated threads in OT often. Feel free to bring it up whenever.

LionPride

Banned
Introducing the Shi'ar in one X-Men movie and still tryna do Phoenix shit quickly seems like another bad X-Men move, but what do I expect from a franchise that has had three good movies(one of which I personally do not like)?

DMVfan123

Banned
Do you guys think Marvel could make a Nextwave movie that lampoons the common tropes of the MCU or is that too complicated to do
since apparently one member's a mutant?
Or is there another series that could do that kind of thing better?
I haven't read a Nextwave comic yet, but I hear some fans suggesting it

I guess in terms of cinematic universes, on a scale of Marvel's and DC's, Fox's lies somewhere closer to DC in terms of films, timeline issues, and creative forces. I think all 3 of their 2018 films are shooting right now, but it's interesting what directions they're heading.

X-Men: Dark Phoenix is going cosmic with the introduction of the Shi'ar and the Dark Phoenix itself, while New Mutants is supposed to be a horror flick that seems to be skewing lower budget. I'm guessing the reason there are barely any set photos are out for either of these films are because of the large amounts of green-screen work for Dark Phoenix and the fact that New Mutants is supposed to be a "break out" film.

In any case, I don't know how Fox is going to fare with 3 X-Men films next year. Out of the three, I definitely think "Dark Phoenix" is going to be the worst. "Apocalypse" felt like it came and went, and basically got critically mauled. "Dark Phoenix" not only has Kinberg at the helm but has the entire story predicated on the character that got a lot of harsh criticism. It's definitely going to be a make or break moment for the mainline X-Men series.

Considering there are no X-Men films slated past 2018 and no mention of properties that are being developed, Fox might be in trouble. If DP fails, I can imagine Kinberg getting the boot and another reboot happening for the franchise.

Do you guys think Marvel could make a Nextwave movie that lampoons the common tropes of the MCU or is that too complicated to do since apparently one member's a mutant? Or is there another series that could do that kind of thing better? I haven't read a Nextwave comic yet, but I hear some fans suggesting it
Could Marvel do a Nextwave movie? Hell yeah, and it would fit well in their current genre of action-comedy. I can easily imagine a Nextwave film having no impact on canon or the continuity of the universe while just being outlandish silly fun.

Will Marvel do a Nextwave film? Probably not. Marvel's not at the stage yet where they can say "Our universe is fully formed, now let's poke fun at it." We've only just gotten magic introduced into the MCU as well as more detail on the Celestials. We haven't even touched the supernatural part of the comics where Elsa Bloodstone comes from. The tone of such a film would also be at odds with the more grounded dramatic elements of the MCU because Nextwave has no such dramatic points throughout its run.

In short, "Nextwave" would be a cool film, but considering characters like Nova, Adam Warlock, Moon Knight, etc who are arguably more famous don't have representation in the MCU, I'd say it'll be a long time before it happens.

Pachimari

But they are working toward X-Force and Gambit is very much still a thing. I don't think they have anything to worry about it really.

Btw, The Gifted pilot episode are getting some great impressions and apparently it is all of Nix's work since Bryan Singer has been mostly off hands. They also just casted someone as Dreamwr; a mutant who can erase and add memories.

LionPride

Banned
The fact The Gifted is likely gonna be better than any X-Men movie not titled First Class and Logan/Deadpool if you really wanna count em, is tragic

The fact Legion is definitely better is also tragic

LionPride

Banned
Legion is like a brand drink, ya know, something that matters

Inhumans is that motherfucker who brings Dr. Thunder to the damn cookout

Dirty ass

Top Bottom