• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT3| 80.8 % Certified Fresh

One more Inhumans impression:

After a promising, distinctively directed cold open (in which an Inhuman is chased through a jungle in Earth’s Oahu), ABC’s latest Marvel series relocates to the stony Attilan, where the look and action becomes more rote. There is a bit of world-building, including the ceremony in which young Inhumans’ abilities are first revealed to the community, but other attempts at exposition prove clunky. (Uproxx’s Alan Sepinwall here at TCA challenged me to identify Karnak’s ability, which is twice demonstrated in the first hour made available to critics. I didn’t even come close.)

Much has been said about Medusa’s CGI’d hair, and all I will say is that it proves to be much more interesting when she is (ahem) loving versus fighting. As for Lockjaw, they’ve done a pretty nifty job with the scampering, slobbering canine Inhuman. None of the other powers at hand get a terribly distinct showcase in the first hour.

Rheon is well-cast as the ambitious, Earth-wary Maximus, while Mount, given how the first hour ends, surely/hopefully will find new notes to play as the mute king in possession of a lethal voice. Ikwuakor’s quippy, hoofed Gorgon emerged as a scene-stealer — I’d totally watch the version of the show he is in! — whereas everyone else comes off perhaps 20-percent too “stately,” which threatens to temper any sense of S.H.I.E.L.D.-like revelry/fun.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Was I hallucinating or was it not mentioned in a promotional interview that Medusa's hair in the show was achieved through practical effects (some crazy puppetry work)?

mreddie

Cassie is coming back but we already knew that

9sqwz5p8bodz.jpg

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
That concept art of a mini Antman riding on Cassie's back better be in the movie. That sounded adorable.

mreddie

Judging from the concert art descriptions, she may join in on the fun. Also, pretty much everyone from 1 is back sans Cannavale

I've been thinking about Kevin Feige's comments on superhero fatigue, and for the moment he's right. Marvel studios doesn't feel by the book like it did in 2013 and 2015.

Looking at the positive mindshare Thor, BP, and even Ant-Man & wasp have I feel that the general public at the time doesn't feel burned out, but we'll see after Infinity Gauntlet in 2019 if the audience was just here for the Infinity storyline, or if they'll stick around after the main MCU contracts have been fulfilled .

Feige should consider a hiatus like star wars is doing though.

Feels weird to suggest a hiatus when we don't know what the MCU is gonna look like post-Avengers 4. Feige alteady said it's gonna be a departure from their "phases" setup and I assume that's gonna be part of their plan to keep it fresh for audiences.

marvel can litteraly coast until 2023 if they wanted to.

Captain Marvel,BP, ant-man trilogies + Homecoming 2.

Still need my MCU Doctor Doom though played by Mads
mjcry1.png

The Kree

Banned
I suspect they're going to do two things post Infinity War:

They're going to fall back to doing two movies a year and use existing franchises to introduce new characters instead of starting a slew of new franchises dedicated to origin stories.

They're going to start doing multiversal crossovers with Fox, Sony, and possibly Warner Bros. because they all want billion dollar cape flicks and they won't stop aping the MCU until they get some. I suspect talks with Fox have probably been going on for a few years already and talks with Warner Bros. are a distant possibility once the DCEU gains some real traction.

mreddie

I've been thinking about Kevin Feige's comments on superhero fatigue, and for the moment he's right. Marvel studios doesn't feel by the book like it did in 2013 and 2015.

Looking at the positive mindshare Thor, BP, and even Ant-Man & wasp have I feel that the general public at the time doesn't feel burned out, but we'll see after Infinity Gauntlet in 2019 if the audience was just here for the Infinity storyline, or if they'll stick around after the main MCU contracts have been fulfilled .

Feige should consider a hiatus like star wars is doing though.

The big problem is FOX and WB could fuck things up, FOX is having 3 X-Men films next year alone and close to Marvel films.

mreddie

“I can tell you that the show you have seen is not the finished product, so if you’re asking me whether it’s done, it’s not.” - Loeb

Top Bottom