• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes 2016 |OT3| Highway to the Danger Room

So is the general consensus that the PC version is going to die and not get updated due to the console versions?

I think the PC version was already dying, console or not. They've kind of hail mary'd a console port out, but I'd be shocked if it works out. I think both versions will kind of limp along until their contract with Marvel runs out, and that'll be that.

Everything about MH right now reminds me of Avengers Alliance about 1 year out from when it shut down. You could pretty much call it then, and I think a lot of people are doing the same here.

ReaperXL7

I think the PC version was already dying, console or not. They've kind of hail mary'd a console port out, but I'd be shocked if it works out. I think both versions will kind of limp along until their contract with Marvel runs out, and that'll be that.

Everything about MH right now reminds me of Avengers Alliance about 1 year out from when it shut down. You could pretty much call it then, and I think a lot of people are doing the same here.

I think it depends on if they are able to get it in the faces of the right audience. As it stands there are almost zero games for current gen systems in which you can play as marvel superheroes and I think the films have built a demand that really hasn't been met on consoles. MVC is a start but fighting games are only so popular.

If Gaz sees a return from the console port and then actually supports the game I think it could be very successful on consoles.

I think it depends on if they are able to get it in the faces of the right audience. As it stands there are almost zero games for current gen systems in which you can play as marvel superheroes and I think the films have built a demand that really hasn't been met on consoles. MVC is a start but fighting games are only so popular.

If Gaz sees a return from the console port and then actually supports the game I think it could be very successful on consoles.

I think in theory this is true, and it's what they're banking on. I think in practice they're coming in too under the radar, the game is too expensive for consoles, and the port itself is a bit of a technical mess.

Once it gets into open beta and people start leveling for real, I think you're going to see a lot of complaints about the lack of endgame and the weird changes they've done to the itemization. I think player retention is going to be a big issue on consoles given how slow Gaz is on releasing updates and fixing technical issues.

ReaperXL7

I think in theory this is true, and it's what they're banking on. I think in practice they're coming in too under the radar, the game is too expensive for consoles, and the port itself is a bit of a technical mess.

Once it gets into open beta and people start leveling for real, I think you're going to see a lot of complaints about the lack of endgame and the weird changes they've done to the itemization. I think player retention is going to be a big issues on consoles given how slow Gaz is on releasing updates and fixing technical issues.

Maybe, admittedly I haven't really followed the game as despite my high interest in comics and in this game I just don't game on PC that much. Comments I've seen have ranged from very good with some saying Gaz has been very generous to players over the years, and others leaning more negative saying they have been super slow to update the game in some important ways.

I always figured the truth was somewhere in the middle since gamers often take things to the extreme but I'll be curious to see what they do moving forward as pushing the game out to consoles and then doing nothing with it seems like a missed opportunity to put it mildly.

Still seems so strange to me that The Avengers at least haven't received a proper current gen game with all the success the MCU has had. All we really know about at all moving forward is the Square Enix published games but no real information on what those will even be.

Maybe, admittedly I haven't really followed the game as despite my high interest in comics and in this game I just don't game on PC that much. Comments I've seen have ranged from very good with some saying Gaz has been very generous to players over the years, and others leaning more negative saying they have been super slow to update the game in some important ways.

I always figured the truth was somewhere in the middle since gamers often take things to the extreme but I'll be curious to see what they do moving forward as pushing the game out to consoles and then doing nothing with it seems like a missed opportunity to put it mildly.

Still seems so strange to me that The Avengers at least haven't received a proper current gen game with all the success the MCU has had. All we really know about at all moving forward is the Square Enix published games but no real information on what those will even be.

It's been kind of a weird history. Gaz had come across as sort of an underdog company who wanted to make a great game but didn't really have the technical wizardry to back it up. They had Brevik though, and I think that and Marvel were enough for people to give them the benefit of the doubt. You kind of always had a feeling that a programmer could sneeze and the game's code would come crashing down though. Every patch needed at least another patch to fix whatever the new patch broke.

So it kind of perpetrated this cycle of big promises and great ideas that their technical abilities could never fully deliver on. They were big on communication though, so when things fell short or took way longer than they should have, you could see that their disappointment matched your own and so people stuck it out. And despite that, the game was still making progress and came a long way in the first couple years.

I think the weight of their technical issues and the increasing scope of the game finally caught up with them though. They never really had a direction for their endgame, so they would try these ideas (raids, one-shots, danger room) but then abandon them when they didn't work out. Promises took too long to deliver, players slowly started leaving, Brevik left, other developers left, and much of the communication stopped.

So the game was basically dying anyway. You can even see it in this thread, which had mostly slowed to a crawl even before the console version was announced. They basically had two options, revamp the PC version for a 2015 style relaunch, or spend their time reworking the game for consoles. They went with option B, though I don't think the company is capable enough to really pull off either and were doomed no matter what. The console version probably buys them more time though since it's hitting reset on everything and people are buying in from scratch. It's also much more predatory in it's f2p scheme (stash is prohibitively expensive, no random hero box, reworked boosts). But looking at the beta, their technical skills are still their downfall and you can see what a team without Brevik does when they start reworking the core of the game (itemization is needlessly complicated).

So I'm not optimistic. At its base it's still a good game, and if you're interested you should definitely give it a shot. It's entirely possible their technical issues get ironed out during the beta phase and they're able to adjust and improve the game and everyone wins. I think people who have been around since the PC beta and have been following this company from the start just have a more negative outlook on that possibility.

It's also much more predatory in it's f2p scheme (stash is prohibitively expensive, no random hero box, reworked boosts)

You know what people who are on the fence are definitely NOT going to do right out of the gate? Spend 200G on a measly 5 inventory slots. That's the kind of shit that pushes people away. Reminds me of SWTOR's godawful business model, but at least that lets you buy a monthly sub that circumvents most of the bullshit, as long as you don't care about cosmetic gear (god help you if you do).

I think you're bang on the money btw, good summary of this game's turbulent history. At this point they've squandered the goodwill of all but their most ardent fanboys, some of whom roam the halls of this very thread to this day whoOOoooOOoo~~~

I don't agree with the doom and gloom of some of the people. I've put easily 30+ hours into the console version and for a beta it's pretty solid. Is there optimization that needs to be done? Yes. Are they being done? Yes. In Asros' first dev diary yesterday he made it clear he was working on it personally. I've been with this game since before the pc beta. I bought my founders packs as soon as they came on sale which was months before the beta launch. i've had a fun time with it, spent a ton of money but I'm enjoying the console version even more. I love the new item system, it's very reminiscent of D3 item system where you stack bonuses for the powers you want to use.

The stash is a little expensive I'll admit that BUT the stash doesn't work like it does on PC and there is no where near as many things that need to be saved. You could spend 60 bucks on this game. Get 4 or 5 characters, a decent amount of boosts AND upgrade to stash space and never have to spend another penny unless you want costumes. That's a AAA price and have almost as many playable characters and stash space. It is a f2p game so they do need to bring in money but I feel like this is a great start for them.

Moondrop

Banned
Let's not gloss over the part where players were promised the "Biggest Update Ever," but actually the game was being slowed down and rebalanced for a console release. And those of us that pointed out that these changes were clearly for a console release were called crazy then too.

And now there exist two separate games. Marvel Heroes Omega features a costume closet, revamped UI, and reportedly new and better itemization (including new affixes), progression, and controller support. Meanwhile there's no word on when or even if the PC version will receive the costume closet and other features on consoles, the promised Omega gear to complete the BUE, or even if we'll enter 2018 with the game still called "Marvel Heroes 2016."

Yes because there has been so much love and energy poured into the PC version in the last year

also you didn't add DISCLAIMER: I WORK AT GAZILLION, you shill

Might as well tell a mod to make it my tag.

There was a pretty decent amount of energy poured into reworking all the heroes in the game. Let's not act like nothing was done last year. Getting the console version up and running was inevitably going to suck up lots of resources, so the lack of content for the PC version was for a reason at least.

Let's not gloss over the part where players were promised the "Biggest Update Ever," but actually the game was being slowed down and rebalanced for a console release. And those of us that pointed out that these changes were clearly for a console release were called crazy then too.

When did this happen? (Serious question)

Volimar

What they did with uniques way before adding anything concrete to replace them AND REMOVING THE RECIPES INVOLVING THEM still bugs me. They should have waited until much closer to the new items release. The buffed cosmic equipment is kind of a joke.

Moondrop

Banned
When did this happen? (Serious question)
I can't find any of the official forum threads in which Marvel Heroes devs explicitly denied the movement changes were designed for a console release. I assume they've been deleted. But recall quotes like these:

Mobility: Too Much of a Good Thing
In order to move forward and generate fresh, exciting game content, we must give Heroes the opportunity to stop and enjoy that content for just a moment. The changes we are presenting here may seem contentious to some, but we do ask for constructive feedback as we get closer to testing. Keep in mind that in the long run, we know that these changes will open the way to better gameplay and more fun.

They knew they were making a console version at this time! Knowing what we know now, how can this not be interpreted as deliberately gaslighting your customers?

That said, I don't think this intentional misdirection was done out of malice but incompetence (if that makes it better). I'm not here to hate on anyone who's enjoying the console version- sounds like it came out alright. But this thread is for the PC version, and I don't think I'm being at all unreasonable to diagnose its health as poor.

I've never, and still don't understand how the movement changes have anything to do with a console release. Like, I honestly don't. I do understand why they changed them. It was SUPER easy to dodge basically everything with your movement power since there was no windup time and was infinite.

Ploid 3.0

It seems like a lot of the changes lately were to beta test console ideas they had. What better way to make sure the console had a ton of testers as they got ready for early access, then open beta. The whole movement change seems to make little difference for PC players now, it just annoys us. Nothing feels more tactical, or difficult. Maybe we'll see with the higher difficulties, but that seems so so far away. Omega gear or whatever it will be, 2018, believe.

They say redoing all of the story mode stuff was for new PC players, then the base costume reskins, (Doc Oct looks scary now, they should have kept the original). It was all for console, every bit of it. Omega nodes were too complicated, and everyone just picked the standard choices? Ok that's weird that you cancel out things like that, but what are people doing now. It's so simple, and people pick pretty much the same thing because there's less to choose from, and there are obvious winners on the most popular nodes for each character.

ReaperXL7

Thanks! Tempted to jump into this but unsure if I should wait. Anyone know if PS4 co-op works, GiantBomb video showed it not working unless they were doing it wrong.

It works. Both players have to have their own PSN account but they both play on the marvel heroes account of the first player. I was playing with my daughter this morning.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Seems like a good excuse to install the game again. I know it's probably been answered but i'm on mobile, is the ps4 version patch coming to PC? Would love to play on controller.

No but you can use a gamepad on the pc

Timeline for PC content will be shared next week. Next hero is also being worked on.

Blob VU

8jrSmxw.png

Aurizen

Who are you guys favorite character? I'm playing it on PS4 I've only played with Iron Man and Black Panther. I'm trying to find someone who's powerful and has good AOE

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Carnage could be fun but would probably require me turning voices off.

Odinson sounds like a cool concept:

We're currently planning to sort of mix the recent comic Odinson, wielding Jarnbjorn, with the general concept of the Ragnarok film's "Thor no longer worthy", who appears to use a mix of weapons and weapon fighting styles. Both are much more in-your-face than our traditional Thor, and we will be using near-zero lightning, as he no longer has Mjolnir to serve as a conduit. He's got some really cool concepts for weapon swapping and builds around which weapons you prefer, and if we continue with that plan, he'll play out very differently from anyone else in the game - including OG Thor.

Also, I like this bit from Orren (the creative directior):
They offer a discrete and visible chunk of new gameplay that can be built. Any one or two of them could instead become new Danger Room maps, (which we also want to build a lot more of). I am much more interested in expanding and improving our existing modes by adding new stuff to them rather than building a brand new mode.

Yes, (glancing back to an earlier response) X-Def and Holo-Sim are likely to get reworks in 2018. I would like to improve these and expand these.

Someone is learning.

abundant

Who are you guys favorite character? I'm playing it on PS4 I've only played with Iron Man and Black Panther. I'm trying to find someone who's powerful and has good AOE

I playing as Scarlet Witch (lvl 29) and she's a beast. Love how unpredictable her powers can be.

Auraela

Banned
guy is pretty humble and knows his shit but its basically screaming we need more stuff but cannot afford it see below

I'll tell you straight, I don't know the answer to this today. It is dependant on answers to even harder questions that we are trying to fight our way through. I'd love to say tomorrow. I really would. It's actually fun work to improve the heroes and do QoLs on them, and no one here wants the game to feel static. Right now the best answer I have is "later this summer," but I'm trying to change that because I know it's not satisfactory.

Anoregon

Yeah overall I'm pretty pleased with his answers. He's going out of his way to not promise the sky because he knows they can't deliver a whole lot, but seems really committed to getting things right with what they have. If they managed to actually get the omega patch out this summer and retool danger room a bit so that it's an actually worthwhile endless grind (like Diablo 3 rifts/PoE maps) that will be quite a feat.

But man, they gotta fix loot. Loot has just gotten worse over time in this game. "lootsplosions" were a mistake and individual items are never that exciting. I haven't seen much of the PS4 version, but apparently loot is better there?

Also, just saw this, so I guess playable Carnage is fine by me:
I've already brought this up with our audio director. We know there are players who strongly disliked his Team-Up VO and we don't want that to be an issue as a playable.

Volimar

After putting up with Elite Dangerous's devs and their slow burn approach to practically everything, Gazillion's development speed is practically break neck paced.

Hey guys, I heard a new Spider-Man character is going to be pla-

Oh.

Fucking Gazillion.

When it wasn't Kaine I knew someone should check on you.

Top Bottom