• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes 2016 |OT3| Highway to the Danger Room

what's baffling to me is... well, everything, but the new thing baffling me... they're going back to a bajillion different tags for things? Didn't we consolidate down to Physical/Mental/Energy at some point? Now there are "Leaping" powers?

The fuck?

The plus side is it is easier to stack, like if a power is leap, melee, energy you can stack damage rating for each type, each counting fully.

But it also makes farming items with the perfect stat mix and a good roll on them much harder.

It's just never not crazy to me that several years into this game's life they are changing core elements of the design regularly as if it's still in closed beta. At least when WoW does shit like this it comes with an expansion and a level cap raise so you'd have to get new shit anyway.

Apoc and the other two new horsemen costumes.

DKmfL7jU8AA295x.jpg:large

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I just saw the omega stuff. Yawn. faintly interesting set bonuses instead of individual items with the potential to create new builds. I guess the original idea was too hard for them.

Blank!

Man this fucking game...

"@Orren said:
Runes will not be removed, but they’ll not be used for Runewords. With this patch Runewords will be retired and replaced by Modifications. Modifications go onto your Utility Armor Slot. (Slot 3) This also applies to enchants for slots 1, 2, 4, and 5. These have been replaced with Enhancements. You can hold onto your current runes if you’re sentimental like me, or you can sell these for credits."

So all those rare runes? Sell them for credits... wonder what a Zod sells for lol.

Dec

Oh fuck holding onto zod runes was not a good idea.

RIP

edit: might not actually mean much for zods. They were never expensive because they were useful. Might still have a market as a rare collector's item.

Volimar

Man this fucking game...

"@Orren said:
Runes will not be removed, but they’ll not be used for Runewords. With this patch Runewords will be retired and replaced by Modifications. Modifications go onto your Utility Armor Slot. (Slot 3) This also applies to enchants for slots 1, 2, 4, and 5. These have been replaced with Enhancements. You can hold onto your current runes if you’re sentimental like me, or you can sell these for credits."

So all those rare runes? Sell them for credits... wonder what a Zod sells for lol.

The fact that I don't care about this despite having an entire page of runes just shows how done I am with this game.

Man this fucking game...

"@Orren said:

Hahahaha

Dec

This poor community guy. He seems like a nice guy, but he has stepped into an impossible situation.

edit: does the console version run this bad? Lags like ass

Xevren

This poor community guy. He seems like a nice guy, but he has stepped into an impossible situation.

edit: does the console version run this bad? Lags like ass

I tried it out once since I was curious, yea it was REAL bad. My pc is getting kinda old but it ran the game far better than it was on ps4.

Dec

Doomsaw popped into the MH subreddit to make some posts.

Have not read them yet but this is pretty significant as the game has never been as good as when he was in charge, and it has been two years since he has really talked about the game.

https://www.reddit.com/user/Doomsaw-Gazillion

Starts with a hard hitter

The game was basically breaking even and was reasonably expensive to maintain. Console was really what everyone was looking forward to, but the company couldn't really afford a ton of expensive, senior staff while waiting for console.

The above quote would apply to the game two years ago, when he was director.

The most impressive metric for Marvel Heroes was the "ARPU" (average revenue per user). It was an almost unheard of amount in the free-to-play gaming world and allowed to game to continue.

The main problem was just raw player numbers.

The costume grinder was annoying, but probably only had a minor effect on total revenue.

And finally, he hits the nail on the head

once you start making money, you hopefully invest that money into new content. The new content retains players longer and helps bring in more money. There is definitely a snowball effect.
If, on the other hand, you don't invest in new content, it's hard to keep this kind of game alive, so people may get more desperate in the monetization schemes, which has a negative spiral effect.

Just watched the stream and... you don't even fight Apocalypse in the new mode

084.png

The new costumes do look dope though.

There's also gonna be a huge Q&A in two weeks where the new CEO is supposedly going to answer all the tough questions. Let's see.

My tough question would be why in the world the devs they had at that point thought they were capable of improving on the game, which was finally in a good state, by completely revamping damn near everything, when the result was a complete dumpster fire, and how soon can they revert the changes they've made over the past year or so.

So sad how everything has turned out, but even at the time anyone paying attention could see it coming a mile away.

My tough question would be why in the world the devs they had at that point thought they were capable of improving on the game, which was finally in a good state, by completely revamping damn near everything, when the result was a complete dumpster fire, and how soon can they revert the changes they've made over the past year or so.

So sad how everything has turned out, but even at the time anyone paying attention could see it coming a mile away.

The game as it was wasn't making enough money. So they bet the house on console ports, seemingly lost, and seem to be scrambling on ways to poach the whales they have left to keep the game afloat. But you're right, everyone pretty much saw the writing on the wall. Only now it's lit up like a neon sign in a dark alley.

I honestly don't think there are any tough questions left, outside of maybe how long he thinks he'll be able to keep the lights on. Even then it's only out of morbid curiosity, I only check this thread when it floats to the top of my subscription list to see what kind of insane moves they're pulling in their death throes

once you start making money, you hopefully invest that money into new content. The new content retains players longer and helps bring in more money. There is definitely a snowball effect.
If, on the other hand, you don't invest in new content, it's hard to keep this kind of game alive, so people may get more desperate in the monetization schemes, which has a negative spiral effect.

yuup. That's been so obvious. And at this point it's a catch-22. They need more money to keep the lights on/make new content, so the monetization scheme gets worse and worse, players keep leaving, monetization gets worse, etc. It's been super duper obvious for the last 2 years or something. They should've danced with the one that brung them (PC players) rather than try to court console players with a super desperate, half-assed port. All the while they kept pouring resources and design work into reworks literally no one was asking for, alienating current players, rather than improve and add content, some of which they promised ages ago and never materialized. How they put out danger room and pretty much stopped iterating on the concept immediately is maybe the saddest thing. It had so much potential. Story of this game's life: Put out a thing and immediately forget about it, then turn around and commit a bunch of resources to shit no one asked for. This game and its mismanagement should be taught in schools. A case study in what not to do. Post-Doomsaw, I should say. The game launched in a terrible state and then they turned it around and maintained an upward trajectory, quality-wise, for quite a while. But around the time Doomsaw left it all went to shit.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
One of the saddest things is that the people responsible for the dumb choices that lead to the current abysmal state of the game will probably bounce right back and have a chance to ruin some other game when this thing is finally put out of its misery.

Also from Doomsaw:

What really throws a monkey wrench into things are changing directions or staff members leaving, that can bring an entire system down for weeks/months

lol ya think

Anoregon

He's just trying to make a harem like in his animes

So apparently that Unique event that was promised and supposed to happen before the introduction of Omega items was cancelled, and there was no whimper about it from the devs, except for an off-hand remark by one, which then has been picked up by the community. Apparently they feel like the delay for the implementation of Omega items makes up for them not delivering an event they promised, nor communicating that to their players. The latter part is really what is bothering me, honestly.

I think this has been the straw that broke the proverbial camel's back for me - I've finally decided to uninstall this game, as well. There's so much bull going on since the shift in the leadership of Gaz, and obviously the game is going down the shitter. As someone mentioned before, the writing has been on the wall for about 2 years now. Gaz has started to give less and less of a shit about their player base, especially the people who kept the lights running for those 5 years (the PC players) in favour or a gamble for a console port, which apparently was a failure as well.

So yeah. It was a good ride while it lasted, and I'm glad I got plenty of fun out of it, especially during the golden age, but ever since the departure of Doomsaw, Brevik and others, the game simply has become a shell of its former self.

Just watched the stream and... you don't even fight Apocalypse in the new mode

Well that sums up where the game is, doesn't it.

I'll just say I agree with the comments today. This game had a moment (which was pretty long, really, 6 months? 9 months?) when it could have really taken off and capitalized on the potential of "Marvel Diablo." But it just seemed like the devs were intent on making the worst choices possible.

Omega trial was easy, some yellow elites survive my Kitty Pride signature now but other than that no difference, beat first try.

The Apocalypse event is nothing, beat on Omega first try no deaths, it over in like 3 minutes.

You get nothing for it, just a big chest of loot. Thought would be like Defenders with a daily loot box but nope.

Omega items are dumb, I get a Kitty Pride only bodysuit drop, but the Omega bonus is for Arrow powers, why put a bonus that is 100% useless and literally not possible to benefit you even a tiny bit?

Wait wait wait wait.

Omega items are supposed to the top shelf character-specific gear and they can drop with a bonus that can never help that character?

That's some alpha build shit right there.

Dec

Wait wait wait wait.

Omega items are supposed to the top shelf character-specific gear and they can drop with a bonus that can never help that character?

That's some alpha build shit right there.

They can at the moment on consoles cause bug

Wont be in the PC version.

Clothing? Yes they are.

In what way are you referring to? The blog about them specifically mentions the Omega set items aren’t made for a single hero, but rather a playstyle or set of powers. Then only the ones that are relevant to your character will drop for them. Did I misunderstand?

In what way are you referring to? The blog about them specifically mentions the Omega set items aren’t made for a single hero, but rather a playstyle or set of powers. Then only the ones that are relevant to your character will drop for them. Did I misunderstand?

It sounded like you were saying clothing, example headpiece, wasn't character specific anymore.

Some Omega bonuses could be used by multiple characters, though several seem very specific. Arrows I think are just Hawkeye on console. Anyone besides Storm use Wind?

Ploid 3.0

I want to spend money on this game again. I hope the right the ship and head in a good direction that gives me confidence again. This was the perfect game for me. I love leveling different classes in RPGs and this one gave you a ton of classes and builds. I like mmo aspect without having to really dedicate my time to groups if I don't want to, and this game had it. I loved learning about new Marvel characters and being able to read a rich history on them online.

They had such a perfect situation with the MCU situation giving them a ton of possible new content and eyes. I did want them to come to console, but not if I knew they were in such a bad shape. I thought they were doing great. They just moved to a new building and again they had a good setup with Marvel movies bringing in the eyes. They wasted so much time redoing act 1 - whatever. It looked good, but the originals weren't bad, also Doc Oct looks scary now (ugly scary). They seemed to have a plan, wouldn't even hear people saying the movement changes were annoying. I'm still waiting on the tactical, more engaging combat that limited movement provides.

Blank!

It sounded like you were saying clothing, example headpiece, wasn't character specific anymore.

Some Omega bonuses could be used by multiple characters, though several seem very specific. Arrows I think are just Hawkeye on console. Anyone besides Storm use Wind?

IIRC, the tags that characters can't use showing up on omega items is a "bug"... Wolverine won't see +Wind damage on Omega items that drop for him.

Of course, that doesn't make a difference if you want to run a lightning (or hybrid) Storm and she rolls a +wind affix... but there's that anyway.

Top Bottom