• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Legacy |OT| It's not a Rebirth, and it always was [SPOILERS for Legacy #1]

Dalek

I always thought that Odin made Mjonir after Thor was born, but this makes it seem like he wielded it for a long time beforehand.

caliph95

I always thought that Odin made Mjonir after Thor was born, but this makes it seem like he wielded it for a long time beforehand.
They kinda rectconned the Mjonir even having a mind of its own and they seem to imply he didn't technically "made"( I know the dwarves did but whatever) but molded and may tie into Phoenix

Though I'm wondering how old is Thor anyway

Dalek

They kinda rectconned the Mjonir even having a mind of its own and they seem to imply he didn't technically "made"( I know the dwarves did but whatever) but molded and may tie into Phoenix

Though I'm wondering how old is Thor anyway

Aaron has written Mjolnir as having it's own sentience in his books though-so that's kind of there. It basically created a "fake" Jane to hide her identity from SHIELD for her.

jph139

The God Tempest or whatever from the Mjolnir origin issue definitely reminded me of the Phoenix Force (a huge cosmic force that wipes out entire galaxies in its wake). Would be interesting to tie them together.

Not super hot on sentient Mjolnir but... can't really unring that bell.

Dalek

FullSizeRender6.jpg

Sblargh

Banned
Sam going back being the falcon was always going to happen. This is comic books. I loved Sam as Cap, am happy to have had these stories and now it's gone. That's comics.

Maybe it happened sooner rather than later because of Marvel listening to racist fans, but anyway, it was always going to be a return to the status quo eventually.

caliph95

Oh that's true. T'Challa did have the Infinity Gauntlet at the end, maybe he made some changes to history.
He went back in time right?

Like the rest of the world was fixed but he went back before the incursions happened if I remember

Dalek

He went back in time right?

Like the rest of the world was fixed but he went back before the incursions happened if I remember

Yes he went back to before the Incursion that brought Black Swan to their world-and this time history was different.

I definitely got the Rebirth vibe from this as well. Marvel has said that they're taking a break from the earth-shattering events for a while, but this seems to be setting up some sort of Marvel Universe breaking event, much like Rebirth teased Judgement Day.

It was alright. I might check out a couple books here and there and pick up some during Comixology sales but it wasn't the solid win they needed after the thuds of Civil War II & Secret Empire.

jph139

Overall I liked it. Rebirth vibes for sure - I think I liked it more than Rebirth, but only because I had zero nostalgia for anything in Rebirth beyond Watchmen.
And because I really hate the Flash.

I liked:

- Ribic's art was top notch as always.
- Avengers BC were dope. Would love to see more of them. Cavewoman Phoenix was probably my favorite.
- Jane, Sam, and Riri teaming up for a vaguely somber "last hurrah." And Jane/Sam hooking up. Hopefully they follow up on that somewhere.
- Space Wakanda. Really wondering if Coates is gonna bring that to the mainline book and, if so, how.
- Loki taking on a semi-prominent, possibly heroic role.
- Wolverine as some sort of weird space trucker? Where is he going to fit into the Infinity Stones plot the GOTG are diving into?

None of the other teases or cliffhangers did much for me, and the FF bit was kind of limp. Wasn't feeling the whole Starbrand vs. Ghost Rider thing either.

But yeah let's hope we get Aaron on Avengers next year and give the universe some actual direction.

Machine

I'm currently down to 4 Marvel books in my pull box. That number doesn't look like it will be changing although I might take a look at Two in One.

I wonder if Starbrand is dead dead.

If so, I know its impossible, but I hope Marvel brings back Kenneth Connell and Izanami Randall as Starbrand and Nightmask from Earth 555

latest

I'm one of the few 12 people who read New Universal.

I'm currently down to 4 Marvel books in my pull box. That number doesn't look like it will be changing although I might take a look at Two in One.

This makes me wonder: what do you guys' Marvel pull lists look like?

I'm currently following:
- Astonishing X-Men: okay so far, could go either way.
- Silver Surfer: brilliant, I love it.
- Spectacular Spider-Man: first Spidey book I've fallen in love with since the DeZago / Wieringo days. (edit: upon reflection, other examples come to mind, lol, but you get the idea)
- Thanos: might drop it. First arc was solid but now... Eh.

I'm in for 2-in-1 and Spirits of Vengeance.
Overall, that's not much, especially since I recently dropped DD, most of the X books and Nova was cancelled. But it could be worse, at least I'm really liking Spidey again so that's cool.

Glix

I wonder if Starbrand is dead dead.

If so, I know its impossible, but I hope Marvel brings back Kenneth Connell and Izanami Randall as Starbrand and Nightmask from Earth 555

latest

I'm one of the few 12 people who read New Universal.

I actually own the Everything Went White graphic novel. Its pretty cool. I never followed up and read any more tho.

I just got back into comics a few months ago, but its crazy that as a guy who was always a marvel guy, how little of their stuff interests me. Right now the only Marvel book I read monthly is Astonishing. I also will be buying all Jessica Jones graphic novels. I like Aarons Thor, but I'm still way behind, and buying GN's once in a while when I can afford it. Also plan to start catching up on the current Surfer run, as Allred is my jam.

I'm gonna use Legacy as a way to dip my toe into a few books, hopefully they grab me. Def in for 2 in 1, as Cheung is awesome.

Sandfox

I'm currently following:
- Astonishing X-Men: okay so far, could go either way.
- Silver Surfer: brilliant, I love it.
- Spectacular Spider-Man: first Spidey book I've fallen in love with since the DeZago / Wieringo days. (edit: upon reflection, other examples come to mind, lol, but you get the idea)
- Thanos: might drop it. First arc was solid but now... Eh.

I'm in for 2-in-1 and Spirits of Vengeance.
Overall, that's not much, especially since I recently dropped DD, most of the X books and Nova was cancelled. But it could be worse, at least I'm really liking Spidey again so that's cool.
The creative team behind God Country is taking over Thanos, so that should change things up.

Some Nobody

Jesus fucking Christ is that going to be a Captain America: Grounded book? Why do these editors still think Waid is a superstar?

....Because he is? The list of great comics Waid's done far outnumbers the crappy ones you don't like.

The hilarious thing about the whole "Cap's apology tour" pitch is that, like, why does anyone trust him at all? Like LOOK AT THIS PAGE. Evil Cap is about to fuck shit up, suddenly Old School Cap pops up and beats him up and everyone is immediately like - yay, it's Cap, welcome home buddy, let's not question this sudden turn of events at all!

Like shouldn't the big takeaway here be to NOT immediately trust someone just because they're blonde and dressed like a flag? Dumb.

Avengers: The Children's Crusade basically had a line that was the equivalent of, "We're going to forgive her because eventually we'll all be mind-controlled or made evil", so I guess we're just going to roll with that lol.

Anyway, Marvel: Legacy Thoughts:

- I'm glad Cap is back. It felt lazy to make Falcon into Cap for a wide variety of reasons: It should've been Patriot, you basically confirmed that Sam was only ever Steve's sidekick, you'd already done the "let's get a new Cap" story a few years prior and Steve had just come back... I was never a fan--to me Cap stories stopped after Brubaker left and they're just starting up again with Waid, fuck it.
- I'm also glad Falcon has his own book. Sam is cool, and he deserves it. Hope it's a quality comic, and if it is I hope it sells well because we've gotta start putting our money where our mouths are.
- StruggleParker is wack, but I'll keep reading AMS because for the most part I like where Dan Slott is going.
- Is America still a comic with gorgeous art and garbage stories?
- The Slingers are back! Those costumes and that idea was so cool.
- I wanna read Capt. Marvel but I feel like she's gotten a pass for being on the wrong side of CW2 and that bugs me. Tony won the war but everyone hated him, why's Carol getting off? 'Cause of HydraSteve? Blah.
- Mayor Wilson Fisk is exactly the story we should be telling, all things considered. Glad Soule is the one to deal with it.
- I'll give Doc Strange a try just 'cause I'm all in on Good Loki.
- I want to read Gen X but that art is...uhm. Not my thing.
- The story they're telling with Iron Man is part of my problem with Legacy. Tony should already be back. Also, fuck Iron Doom, Riri better have a book when this is all over with.
- JaneThor was always temporary so I'm fine with her hanging up Mjolnir and Thor coming back. The only problem is I'm bummed out by how Thor used to be surrounded by strong women like Sif and the leaders of Asgardia, and now its all just dudes.
- Ms. Marvel is still the best "Legacy" book, and I'm all in. G. Willow Wilson is just too good.
- I'm still not sure WTF we're doing with Royals, but I like Al Ewing and all his other books are basically gone. :(
- Miles Morales' book picking up the numbering of a Peter Parker comic is unconscionably stupid. This is why DC only did Action and Detective.
- Hopefully Gwenpool keeps Chris Hastings and Guruhiru. Best meta book on the stands atm.
- If U.S. Avengers brings back Cannonball so he and Sunspot can be bros again before the book gets canceled, that's fine with me.
- A giant event for X-Men wasn't what I wanted but maybe it'll give them some form of direction. Hopefully.

Anyway, none of the changes seem big enough to warrant the one shot, but eh. I'm still interested so they're doing something right I guess.

Top Bottom