• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Studios announces next 4 films

Status
Not open for further replies.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
marvel needs to make a movie about a villain. sit around and build the plot of mysterio or rhino.

or better yet, you can't tell me you wouldn't watch a Kingpin movie. they could cast elliot gould as kingpin. it'd rule.

Banned
borghe said:
ignatz really summed it up best. Marvel can develop projects internally, greenlight stuff through, and has direct control over who works on the movies. Because Warner owns DC wholly and owns Warner Brothers wholly, they can completely go above and beyond DC (which they have done, often) and do whatever they want. Even worse, Warner is much more conservative. Whereas Marvel has typically shopped out their properties to whoever has bought them, this allowed individual studios to greenlight movies that they felt they had a perfect fit with. Why didn't Paramount take the X-Men? Why didn't Universal take Spider-Man? With Warner, they are only going to put movies through that they're comfortable working on, which as we've established has nothing to do with how comfortable DC editorial staff might be on it, as the editorial staff rarely has any direct input on the movie.

I know I'm really painting Marvel Studios as awesome here and DC/Warner as a stick in the mud, and really that sums it up. Of course one doesn't instantly translate into bad movies nor the other one good movies.. nor does one guarantee a movie avoids development hell. But it DOES mean it's easier for Marvel to at least get projects further off the ground than trying to pitch an idea to Warner (either internally or externally). Hopefully all of the comic movies this summer continue this trend of big bucks, and hopefully Warner looks at that as a reason to evaluate more of DC's properties a bit more seriously for conversion to the big screen.

Hopefully.

100% truth. There is almost no reason to hope for some DC properties.

SupahBlah said:
constantine_bigboxart.jpg

I know they made fun of it in the comic but I don't know how you can take a 54 year old (55 in 4 days) blonde hair, Liverpudlian based in London and turn him into Keanu Reeves (the character is also American) and based in Los Angeles. Also change the complete belief of the character from being a strict humanist not caring for either side into begging to be let into Heaven. They also made him a catholic and turned his magic into basic exorcism.

Its best not to mention the film actually.

Moore obviously removed his name from the credits. :lol

Okay thats a bad example of what they could do with constantine. So much potential. Shit it wouldve been great if they just did the cancer story.

MisterHero

Just because DC is owned by WB doesn't mean everything is fine.

Superman is a legal mess for as long as the character's existed (he was bought from Siegel/Shuster for $300!) and DC won't concede (monetarily at least) that the families are entitled to anything. It's the alterior motive to kill Superboy and Golden Age Superman in Infinite Crisis, methinks.

And Superboy is probably the reason the Superman Returns sequel is on hold (aside from being a very average film for how expensive it was to make).

God, Constantine was a fucking mess. Only two action scenes in the entire film, and they didn't use any of the weapons that were alluded to earlier in the film (like that dragon-fire weapon).

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Asbel said:
It's last said that his rings are alien tech but it could even be alien magic. There are many ways to use the Mandarin from the comics alone since he's evolved so much. There's the Mandarin that just wanted to rule China, the Mandarin that wanted to rid all technology, the Mandarin who wanted to evolve the human race with extremis, corporate Mandarin or even the Mandarin who just wants to fuck with Stark. And he is the mastermind who brings giants like Finny and Ultimo against Iron Man. I don't think it was a coincidence that they made a few mentions of Genghis Khan in the movie and the Mandarin is a direct descendant of Khan.

Did anyone else catch that the terrorist group was called ten rings? and that the one big dude kept playing with the huge ass yellow stone on this finger?

SupahBlah

Banned
Green Shinobi said:
God, Constantine was a fucking mess. Only two action scenes in the entire film, and they didn't use any of the weapons that were alluded to earlier in the film (like that dragon-fire weapon).

Well the books don't have much action, Constantine usually refrains from fighting he usually tricks people.

But everyone around him usually turns into a ghost. :lol

MisterHero said:
And Superboy is probably the reason the Superman Returns sequel is on hold (aside from being a very average film for how expensive it was to make).

Nah, there's no reason to think that that would at all be an issue.

MisterHero

Father_Brain said:
Nah, there's no reason to think that that would at all be an issue.
It would be cool if Jason did become a "Superboy" though before Lex goes "all Wrath of Kahn" and kills him.

Also, Superman has a "son" in the comics now, so I don't even think they'll kill him anytime soon.

I love all the bitching about Captain America in this thread.

Sorry slack jawed Commie queen GAF, Captain America is not the fucking Bush/Cheney administration. Handled properly the movie would portray this.

The character is very complex, and not just a cutout that follows every fucking stupid political order handed down from the commander in chief.

Come on Marvel, give me Aaron Eckhart for Cap! The man has the god damn chin for the job. :D

The Take Out Bandit said:

Sorry slack jawed Commie queen GAF, Captain America is not the fucking Bush/Cheney administration. Handled properly the movie would portray this.

The character is very complex, and not just a cutout that follows every fucking stupid political order handed down from the commander in chief.

QFMFT.

Anyone who pretends to know ANYTHING about comics should know that Cap's actions in the Civil War would paint him as an enemy to the Bush/Cheney admin. He's one of the most respectable characters in the Marvel U, and a fucking inspiration to many. Respect.

MisterHero

Come on Marvel, give me Aaron Eckhart for Cap! The man has the god damn chin for the job. :D
Yes Captain America doesn't wage war on other countries, he wages wars on American soil now, where there are innocent americans, who doesn't believe in killing so he leaves it to the Punisher. :lol

Banned
Uno Ill Nino said:
QFMFT.

Anyone who pretends to know ANYTHING about comics should know that Cap's actions in the Civil War would paint him as an enemy to the Bush/Cheney admin. He's one of the most respectable characters in the Marvel U, and a fucking inspiration to many. Respect.
How many people have read Civil War?

And how would his position in Civil War paint him as anti-Bush?

How many people have read Civil War?

05/06 Civil War #1 of 7 - 361,516
06/06 Civil War #2 of 7 - 340,879 ( -5.7%)
07/06 Civil War #3 of 7 - 337,090 ( -1.1%)
08/06 —
09/06 Civil War #4 of 7 - 291,024 (-13.7%)
10/06 —
11/06 Civil War #5 of 7 - 283,883 ( -2.5%)
12/06 —
01/07 Civil War #6 of 7 - 263,860 ( -7.1%)
02/07 Civil War #7 of 7 - 274,503 ( +4.0%)

Quite a few.

That's not counting trades and collections.

But I wouldn't suggest anybody read Civil War. :X

I think John Ney Reiber was on a good road before Marvel so ungraciously booted him from the book for not being punchy enough. :\

Thai

Bane was better.
I think the thing they're doing with Thor is that they'll do the whole Fantasy Epic thing in Asgard and then at the end of the story, he gets sent to Earth and we'll get a whole ""WTF?" scenario with him and modern USA.

Though, you'd think being a Norse god and shit, that he'd spend more time in whichever european country that spawned him than in New York.

ZeoVGM

Banned
SupahBlah said:
constantine_bigboxart.jpg

I know they made fun of it in the comic but I don't know how you can take a 54 year old (55 in 4 days) blonde hair, Liverpudlian based in London and turn him into Keanu Reeves (the character is also American) and based in Los Angeles. Also change the complete belief of the character from being a strict humanist not caring for either side into begging to be let into Heaven. They also made him a catholic and turned his magic into basic exorcism.

Its best not to mention the film actually.

Moore obviously removed his name from the credits. :lol

Constantine was a horrible adaption.

But it was an awesome movie.

Raguel

MisterHero said:
Yes Captain America doesn't wage war on other countries, he wages wars on American soil now, where there are innocent americans, who doesn't believe in killing so he leaves it to the Punisher. :lol
Did you read the same Civil War that everybody else read? Cap beated the shit out of punisher for killing some c-list villians, of all things. He was quite adamant in not hurting innocents. Hell, he surrendered because he realize they were getting hurt. Cap is a property that has great great potential if they handle it right. I still think they should introduce Cap in the Avengers movie like what they did in The Ultimates. only make him less of an ass. Also, since an Avengers movie is def in the works, i think they should allude to it in every movie. Like, during of the next Iron Man, Hulk, and Thor movie, they allude to a great threat that is on the horizon. Give hints in those movies about trouble happening and then start off the Avengers movie with finding Cap just in time for the shit to hit the fan.

MisterHero

Raguel said:
Did you read the same Civil War that everybody else read? Cap beated the shit out of punisher for killing some c-list villians, of all things. He was quite adamant in not hurting innocents. Hell, he surrendered because he realize they were getting hurt. Cap is a property that has great great potential if they handle it right. I still think they should introduce Cap in the Avengers movie like what they did in The Ultimates. only make him less of an ass. Also, since an Avengers movie is def in the works, i think they should allude to it in every movie. Like, during of the next Iron Man, Hulk, and Thor movie, they allude to a great threat that is on the horizon. Give hints in those movies about trouble happening and then start off the Avengers movie with finding Cap just in time for the shit to hit the fan.
Yes, he eventually realized what a dick he was being.

In the meantime Iron Man is always labeled as a dick. While it was called for (after what he did to Spider-man and his trust), Cap deserves some shit too.

Docpan

Superhero movies just keep getting better and better.

Sticking to the source material = huge success.

They've finally fucking learned.

MisterHero said:
Yes, he eventually realized what a dick he was being.

In the meantime Iron Man is always labeled as a dick. While it was called for (after what he did to Spider-man and his trust), Cap deserves some shit too.

not really, he was practicing civil disobedience. When he first escaped, he was being held against his will. What did Cap do that was so bad?

Raguel

BobbyRobby said:
not really, he was practicing civil disobedience. When he first escaped, he was being held against his will. What did Cap do that was so bad?
Nothing that i remembered in Civil War or the cap series. Maybe in the Ultimate series.

MisterHero

Raguel said:
Nothing that i remembered in Civil War or the cap series. Maybe in the Ultimate series.
Being a symbol of political righteousness, all the while:
-going against Tony Stark, who was:
-incarcerating superpowered characters in the Negative Zone who were at risk to kill
-trying to cooperate with the government

unrelated to Stark:
-waging war on American soil
-allowing the Punisher on his team, who DOES kill
-hiding his forces in the public among innocent civilians

Sure this might be fine for a story on its own, but Civil War can also be seen as a commentary on the real-life America, which is "wrong" for waging a war in another country, "depriving citizens of their privacy", hiring unregulated mercenaries for additional manpower, etc.

It pissed me off that when Iron Man got Spider-man to trust him and speak to Congress on his behalf that the government was being depicted as a bureucracy and that Iron Man was then revealed to be an opportunist, as if everyone on Iron Man's side was wrong and that Captain America was right.

Captain America was being a hypocrite.

I dont care how much it costs, they need to get the armor room in. You know, in the cartoons intro they show all the suits.

I would go crazy if they could pull something like that off in a movie.

WrikaWrek

Banned
I thought the constantine movie was badass. I never even looked at the comics though.

And Captain America just sucks man, i thought the Ultimate Avengers were awesome but it wasn't because of Caps. The black ops division (Quicksilver, Hawkeye), Iron Man and Thor made it awesome to me.

I loved it when Iron Man kicked the shit out of Captain America in civil war.

I mean the dude is called Captain America and has a U.S.A Flag as a shield. Cmon

WrikaWrek

Banned
karasu said:
?? The dude is called Iron Man and flies around in a suit of Iron.

America is a continent not a country. As a super hero he isn't interesting in the slightest, at least to me, if only because he is like a walking flag trying too hard to be the priest of U.S religion composed of fancy values that just make me wanna throw up by how forced it all looks.

There's a nice concept, the super soldier serum, the WWII involvement, and how he adjusts to modern era. The Ultimates handled his concept well, and his persona was challenged more than once by his enemies and team mates.

In the end, it just isn't appealing in this day and age, walking flags suck. Only way he works is in an Ultimates Movie.

Rumor: Matthew McConaughey Possibly Captain America

http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/05/06/rumor-matthew-mcconaughey-possibly-captain-america-blasphemy/

Lol now that would be hilarious.

whytemyke said:
marvel needs to make a movie about a villain. sit around and build the plot of mysterio or rhino.

or better yet, you can't tell me you wouldn't watch a Kingpin movie. they could cast elliot gould as kingpin. it'd rule.

....they are... a Magneto movie is in the works.

WrikaWrek said:
America is a continent not a country. As a super hero he isn't interesting in the slightest, at least to me, if only because he is like a walking flag trying too hard to be the priest of U.S religion composed of fancy values that just make me wanna throw up by how forced it all looks.

There's a nice concept, the super soldier serum, the WWII involvement, and how he adjusts to modern era. The Ultimates handled his concept well, and his persona was challenged more than once by his enemies and team mates.

In the end, it just isn't appealing in this day and age, walking flags suck. Only way he works is in an Ultimates Movie.

It's painfully obvious you know nothing about the character. Cap is a pretty complex and downright JADED character. He loves his country, but not what it's become. He's a modern day John Wayne thats not afraid to take a life to save thousands.

You REALLY need to read some of theBruaker stuff and educate yourself.

karasu

WrikaWrek said:

Rumor: Matthew McConaughey Possibly Captain America

http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/05/06/rumor-matthew-mcconaughey-possibly-captain-america-blasphemy/

fuck The Ultimates. Go with Brubaker.

Xenon

Funny, first thing I thought of when I saw
Nick Fury
at the end of the movie. Patriotism is a dirty word nowadays, Captain America embodies it. If they think about global sales, a blond hair blue eyed white male draped in the American flag would be better received as the villain. :lol

I agree that the ultimates story line is the way to go. Since most of their movies seem to be pulling from those books, its prob what they are going to do. I also like that the most of the main cast for the avenger movie is being setup in different films. All you have left is the wasp, giant man, and hawkeye all of whom can be developed in the story. Just please do not have the aliens. I would like to see horny Hulk.

GCQuinton

As far as villains go, I'd love to see a movie on Dr. Doom if it was done seriously. Magneto's in limbo, so I doubt we'll ever even see that soon.

ZeoVGM

Banned
MisterHero said:
Being a symbol of political righteousness, all the while:
-going against Tony Stark, who was:
-incarcerating superpowered characters in the Negative Zone who were at risk to kill
-trying to cooperate with the government

unrelated to Stark:
-waging war on American soil
-allowing the Punisher on his team, who DOES kill
-hiding his forces in the public among innocent civilians

Sure this might be fine for a story on its own, but Civil War can also be seen as a commentary on the real-life America, which is "wrong" for waging a war in another country, "depriving citizens of their privacy", hiring unregulated mercenaries for additional manpower, etc.

It pissed me off that when Iron Man got Spider-man to trust him and speak to Congress on his behalf that the government was being depicted as a bureucracy and that Iron Man was then revealed to be an opportunist, as if everyone on Iron Man's side was wrong and that Captain America was right.

Captain America was being a hypocrite.

I find it pretty cool that people are still having arguments over the two sides during Civil War.

GCQuinton said:
As far as villains go, I'd love to see a movie on Dr. Doom if it was done seriously. Magneto's in limbo, so I doubt we'll ever even see that soon.

If Wolverine is a hit, Magneto will probably be put on the fast track.

GCQuinton

Matthew Vaughn has left the director's chair of the Marvel comic book adaptation Thor, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

The Stardust director has reportedly departed the project after his holding deal expired in December.

Kevin Feige, president of Marvel Studios, described Thor as "very much a Marvel superhero story but against the backdrop of nothing you've seen before".

Marvel recently announced a June 4, 2010 release date for the project, along with plans to make Captain America, The Avengers and a sequel to Iron Man.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/a95577/matthew-vaughn-exits-marvels-thor.html

Uncle

Asbel said:
So who are the top 5 most powerful beings in this picture?

I'm not very good at this, but I'd guess that from the ones I can make out The Living Tribunal would be number one and then Eternity, Infinity and Galactus would be somewhere at the top behind it.

sonatinas

Uncle said:
I'm not very good at this, but I'd guess that from the ones I can make out The Living Tribunal would be number one and then Eternity, Infinity and Galactus would be somewhere at the top behind it.

Don't forget Sentry. He's next to Eternity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom