• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Studios SDCC Panel Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny enough, werent there a bunch of debates and people shitting on Marvel, on GAF a few months ago about how there was no diversity? Well I guess those same GAFer's are going to have to find something else to complain about.

The debate shifted a little bit in the past couple years to "Sure there's diversity, but it's relegated to supporting characters, and not the leads". And then once BP and CM come out, the debate will shift again.

Funny enough, werent there a bunch of debates and people shitting on Marvel, on GAF a few months ago about how there was no diversity? Well I guess those same GAFer's are going to have to find something else to complain about.

Not enough asian actors. Where's all the Latinos?

and for Black Panther... wheres all the white women?

"WHY IS EVERY MARVEL MOVE THE SAME???"
troll.png

Mariolee

Same actress, different character.

Pretty sure it was confirmed she's not playing the same character in Cage. We don't have any idea how big her role is in the show.

I'm really hoping taht with the way Marvel TV is failing on ABC, Feige gets aggressive and takes over the TV department from Perlmutter as well.

If he can just bring it all under a single roof again, I think we will finally have what we were originally promised and still expect.

But she was a completely unrelated character and cast simultaneously and unknowingly in both projects, right?

shit like this wouldn't happen if it was 1 Marvel. they need that synergy.

It was rumored and reported by Screen Crush but never confirmed.

In fact, in Civil War I distinctly remember her mentioning she worked in the government with Human Resources and guess what she is playing in Luke Cage:

Last year, Alfre Woodard was added to the cast of Luke Cage as Mariah Dillard, aka “Black Mariah”, a local Harlem politician–and cousin to recently announced Cornell “Cottonmouth” Stokes (Mahershala Ali)

Still could be two different characters, but I don't see why when they could easily make them one and the same.

I'm really hoping taht with the way Marvel TV is failing on ABC, Feige gets aggressive and takes over the TV department from Perlmutter as well.

If he can just bring it all under a single roof again, I think we will finally have what we were originally promised and still expect.
Doubt Feige cares about the TV division much. He had plenty of opportunities to bring synergies before and passed.

The big money is in movies as well as the broadest audiences.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

I'm loving their casts, but they started making their own movies almost a decade ago. Let's not act like they were swift in adding a little color to things. We got Ant-Man and Guardians of the Galaxy movies before Black Panther...put that in perspective.

Synergy has become overrated in the mcu, AoS is breathing it's dying breath and the netflix stuff is on a few blocks in NY while the movies are all over the globe.

I'm loving their casts, but they started making their own movies almost a decade ago. Let's not act like they were swift in adding a little color to things. We got Ant-Man and Guardians of the Galaxy movies before Black Panther...put that in perspective.

From everything we've heard behind the scenes, that's Ike's fault, not Kevin's.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
From everything we've heard behind the scenes, that's Ike's fault, not Kevin's.

Okay? That might be the case but the average viewer doesn't care about the internal politics of a studio. They care about what's being put on the screen. It's the same thing with DC not having a Wonder Woman until now.

Okay? That might be the case but the average viewer doesn't care about the internal politics of a studio. They care about what's being put on the screen. It's the same thing with DC not having a Wonder Woman until now.

The "average viewer" has been going to these movies and not caring enough about the lack of diversity to make it a factor in their viewing preferences. The type of moviegoer that cares enough to ask this question, for the most part, cares enough about the answer to at least do some research to figure it out (which leads to you stories like Shane Black's about Iron Man 3).

Platy

The bar is so low for diversity that we can praise someone for diversity AND ask for more diversity at the same time

Grizzlyjin

The "average viewer" has been going to these movies and not caring enough about the lack of diversity to make it a factor in their viewing preferences. The type of moviegoer that cares enough to ask this question, for the most part, cares enough about the answer to at least do some research to figure it out (which leads to you stories like Shane Black's about Iron Man 3).

So what's your point? That people should be placated by the casts of Black Panther and Spider-Man Homecoming? The former is big enough where he should have gotten a movie ages ago, and the latter is the least you can do if you're setting a movie in New York City.

Yeah, people have been going because what choice do they have? No other studio is releasing action movies with diverse casts, other than Universal with the Fast & Furious movies. Surprise, you start seeing this when those movies do well and the international market becomes increasingly important for films to do well.

If people didn't complain and voice how much they wanted these things, the studio wouldn't be doing them. They would play it safe everytime like they've been doing.

So what's your point? That people should be placated by the casts of Black Panther and Spider-Man Homecoming? The former is big enough where he should have gotten a movie ages ago, and the latter is the least you can do if you're setting a movie in New York City.

Yeah, people have been going because what choice do they have? No other studio is releasing action movies with diverse casts, other than Universal with the Fast & Furious movies. Surprise, you start seeing this when those movies do well and the international market becomes increasingly important for films to do well.

If people didn't complain and voice how much they wanted these things, the studio wouldn't be doing them. They would play it safe everytime like they've been doing.

My point is that since the split, things have gotten better. That much is obvious. And that while things aren't perfect right now, they're obviously trending in the right direction, and that it looks like that isn't just a coincidence, that there's a behind the scenes reason for it as well.

Grizzlyjin

My point is that since the split, things have gotten better. That much is obvious. And that while things aren't perfect right now, they're obviously trending in the right direction, and that it looks like that isn't just a coincidence, that there's a behind the scenes reason for it as well.

That's fair. It does seem like Marvel is leading the pack, which will probably cause DC to react as well.

I'm just hoping Captain Marvel 2 is some MarvelxMarvel movie where they introduce Ms Marvel.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs

In fact, in Civil War I distinctly remember her mentioning she worked in the government with Human Resources and guess what she is playing in Luke Cage:

Still could be two different characters, but I don't see why when they could easily make them one and the same.

In Civil War, Woodard's character's name is Miriam, which is a clear nod to Miriam Sharpe from the Civil War comic.

Zero-ELEC

Banned

Nope confirmed to be two different characters: Mariah Dillard in Luke Cage and Miriam Sharpe in Captain America: Civil War. One's a local politician in Harlem, the other works in HR in the US Department of State.

The only piece of film-side media that references television-side media is the WHiH news webseries, and that's just web original advertisement.

Last year, Alfre Woodard was added to the cast of Luke Cage as Mariah Dillard, aka “Black Mariah”, a local Harlem politician–and cousin to recently announced Cornell “Cottonmouth” Stokes (Mahershala Ali)
In Civil War, Woodard's character's name is Miriam, which is a clear nod to Miriam Sharpe from the Civil War comic.

It is kinda funny how both roles names are so close, only being off by 2 letters.
But I do remember there being an interview stating that the roles were completely separate and unrelated in anyway.

and I found the link
I have confirmed with the film’s writers, Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely, that Alfre Woodard is NOT playing her Luke Cage character in Captain America: Civil War. When I asked them over the phone they both responded with a definitive “no” before explaining. “She was cast initially on Robert [Downey, Jr.]’s suggestion to play the character of Miriam. It was only after that we found out she was going to be in Luke Cage…She absolutely is not the same person.” I have also confirmed that Woodard is credited as “Miriam” in the film’s credits, based on the character Miriam Sharpe from the comics, who confronted Tony Stark at her son’s funeral.
http://screencrush.com/captain-america-civil-war-alfre-woodard/

Or they wanted diversity in the films and are happy to finally see some? Dang, not everything has to be ammo for weird fanboy wars.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Not enough asian actors. Where's all the Latinos?

and for Black Panther... wheres all the white women?
tumblr_o5l0k0hanh1vo32kkp0.gif

And AoS.
Technically GotG and Daredevil too due to Saldana and Dawson.

Well, at least only 2 of the 5 Guardians are white.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom