• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster Discussion Thread

tribal24

Banned
I would have said none of the characters, but now that people mention X-23, gameplay-wise, I think I would get rid of her. She was never really that fleshed out or unique aside from some cool supers (particularly her Level 3).

Taskmaster always even seemed hobbled together a bit, and I even mained him for a while.

Akuma is a staple and all, and again, I mained him too, but if someone had to go, I would just integrate his moveset into Ryu and not much would be lost, especially after Ryu could combo out of that overhead in UMvC3.

So yeah, on the basis of gameplay contributions, I wouldn't be too upset at losing the following, especially if you get much more unique characters in their place:

X-23
Taskmaster
Akuma

Taskmaster has to make it lol! my favorite character out the bunch. I can do away with Black Panther getting something similar to X-23 moves. Akuma being a ryu special like MVC 1 is ok. Zero has to go again its Megaman Time to shine. Iron Fist i can see go and Daredevil replacing him.

shaowebb

Taskmaster has to make it lol! my favorite character out the bunch. I can do away with Black Panther getting something similar to X-23 moves. Akuma being a ryu special like MVC 1 is ok. Zero has to go again its Megaman Time to shine. Iron Fist i can see go and Daredevil replacing him.
If Daredevil makes it in I'd almost guarantee he is more like Yatterman 1 than Iron fist due to the tethered sticks and slinging those around for disjointed long range normals.

Oddly enough I remember something about capcom umvc3 having one of its designers mention they were a fan of Iron fist in comics. Doubt that'll help him return in mvci but oddly enough Iron fist would work in mvci with it's tags and stones. Time or spacevstone would be stellar for Ironfist.

I would have said none of the characters, but now that people mention X-23, gameplay-wise, I think I would get rid of her. She was never really that fleshed out or unique aside from some cool supers (particularly her Level 3).

Taskmaster always even seemed hobbled together a bit, and I even mained him for a while.

Akuma is a staple and all, and again, I mained him too, but if someone had to go, I would just integrate his moveset into Ryu and not much would be lost, especially after Ryu could combo out of that overhead in UMvC3.

So yeah, on the basis of gameplay contributions, I wouldn't be too upset at losing the following, especially if you get much more unique characters in their place:

X-23
Taskmaster
Akuma

I'm okay with losing Akuma if we get a different version of him, like Cyber-Akuma. Complete with a different playstyle/mechanics.

My thoughts on the MvC3 roster... for what they are worth!

Captain America - Confirmed Return
Deadpool - Likely to Return
Doctor Doom - May Return, DLC
Dormammu - ??? I wouldn't mind him...
Hulk - Confirmed Return
Iron Man - Confirmed Return
Magneto - May Return, DLC
MODOK - Won't Return
Phoenix - Won't Return
Sentinel - Won't Return
She-Hulk - Less Likely to Return
Shuma-Gorath - Less Likely to Return
Spider-Man - Will Return
Storm - May Return, DLC
Super-Skrull - Won't Return
Taskmaster - Won't Return
Thor - Confirmed Return
Wolverine - Likely to Return
X-23 - Won't Return
Akuma - I would prefer MvC1 Ryu and add Bison instead
Albert Wesker - Likely to Return
Amaterasu - May Return, I hope so!
Arthur - Less Likely to Return
Chris Redfield - Confirmed Return
Chun-Li - Confirmed Return
Crimson Viper - Won't Return
Dante - Will Return
Felicia - Probably coming back, hopefully more MvC2 Felicia
Hsien-Ko - Won't Return
Jill Valentine - Won't Return as RE5
Mike Haggar - Less Likely to Return
Morrigan Aensland - Confirmed to be Returning
Nathan Spencer - Likely to Return
Ryu - Confirmed Returning
Trish - Less likely to Return
Tron Bonne - Hopefully not till later...
Viewtiful Joe - Hopefully not till later...
Zero - Likely to Return

Ghost Rider - May Return
Firebrand - Not returning
Hawkeye - Confirmed
Strider Hiryu - Confirmed
Doctor Strange - Will Return
Nemesis - Maybe, I hope. STAAARS
Iron Fist - Hopefully not.
Vergil - Returning
Nova - Probably not...
Phoenix Wright - Likely to return.
Rocket Raccoon - Confirmed
Frank West - Likely, but I don't know why!

shaowebb

I'm telling you guys if Iron fist makes it back on it's a different game. All theories of Balance changes aside this game has projectile reflect advancing guard, free tags to put him into combos to tack on his damage, breakers, and stones that lend air dashes ,teleports, pull folks in or lock them in a cube for shit.

Ironfist' s big damage rekka and crumples WORK in mvci unlike in the assist filled world of umvc3. He'd be good on teams. I refuse to marry him again if hes in but I will definitely hope hes back. He works in this games structure because mobility is easily augmented and because any partner could use a hot tag to his damage and crumples.

Hazzuh

The X-Men (yes, including Sentinel)
Dr. Doom
any more Mega Man characters
any more Street Fighter characters
Venom
Wesker

q7nqBUb.gif

Zero-ELEC

Banned

X-23
Taskmaster
Akuma
I feel like X-23 was pretty unique, tbh. I'd be safe of she didn't appear.

Hazzuh

I'd be happy with any Darkstalkers characters tbh but if it was up to me I'd choose Jedah or Pyron
or Sasquatch.

TreIII

I'd love a different Darkstalkers rep. Maybe Lord Raptor or Talbain.

Like I and others said earlier, I can already see Lei-Lei/Hsien-ko and Felicia being in danger. One would definitely need a redesign or other outfits to be "esports acceptable", and the other is Hsien-ko. (Sorry, those who love her, regardless.)

Plus, besides Morrigan's spot being assured, I always thought that they could stand to swap out the other members of the "Vampire cutie trio" and go with other characters of the series. Pyron, so that we could have someone who gives the "Cosmic" side of the Marvel-verse a run for their money. Jedah, if they could tone him down in an acceptable manner. Talbain/Gallon, because he's one of the other residents of "most wanted list" that X and Gene were both on. Zabel/Raptor, because, well...who wouldn't want to see him to Slam 'n Jam some STINKIN MUTANTS?! C8

AdaWong

How is Vergil more likely than Trish lol?

DMC characters likeliness:
Dante >>>>>>>>>>>> Trish >> Vergil >> Lady

Btw, someone noticed this on another forum. Not sure if it was mentioned here.

When the character's health hits danger, their partner yells something to them.

https://youtu.be/C2qwkgDtr20?t=66

Sounds like Hulk said "Right now! Hulk do it!" Can't really tell.

https://youtu.be/C2qwkgDtr20?t=132

You can hear Thor say "God of Thunder", but I'm not sure what he says before it.

https://youtu.be/C2qwkgDtr20?t=202

Chun-Li says something. Not sure what.

https://youtu.be/C2qwkgDtr20?t=255

Sounds like Chris is telling Hawkeye to switch because he's taking too much damage.

https://youtu.be/C2qwkgDtr20?t=280

Thor says something else to Chun when she's on danger.

Pretty interesting stuff. I'm loving the idea of the team communicating with each other during battle.

Like I and others said earlier, I can already see Lei-Lei/Hsien-ko and Felicia being in danger. One would definitely need a redesign or other outfits to be "esports acceptable", and the other is Hsien-ko. (Sorry, those who love her, regardless.)

Plus, besides Morrigan's spot being assured, I always thought that they could stand to swap out the other members of the "Vampire cutie trio" and go with other characters of the series. Pyron, so that we could have someone who gives the "Cosmic" side of the Marvel-verse a run for their money. Jedah, if they could tone him down in an acceptable manner. Talbain/Gallon, because he's one of the other residents of "most wanted list" that X and Gene were both on. Zabel/Raptor, because, well...who wouldn't want to see him to Slam 'n Jam some STINKIN MUTANTS?! C8

Darkstalkers has a ton of memorable characters that could make the transition easily. I'd even be okay with Anarkis.

Which of the new SFV characters would be best marvelized?

Necalli is basically Wolverine with a command grab.
FANG's arcing fireballs would work well in a game with super jumps, and he already has an airdash lol
Laura would probably have to be pretty juiced up on the whole electricity thing to be interesting.
Rashid makes a ton of sense with all his wind machine powers.
Kolin's ice powers have a ton of creative potential
Ed could basically be Magneto with the psycho power.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";235048150]Which of the new SFV characters would be best marvelized?

Necalli is basically Wolverine with a command grab.
FANG's arcing fireballs would work well in a game with super jumps, and he already has an airdash lol
Laura would probably have to be pretty juiced up on the whole electricity thing to be interesting.
Rashid makes a ton of sense with all his wind machine powers.
Kolin's ice powers have a ton of creative potential
Ed could basically be Magneto with the psycho power.[/QUOTE]

V-Trigger Bison.

Dahbomb

Because Vergil is more iconic, fills the villain role and is way, way more popular than Trish. And Vergil sells expansions/DLCs.

Trish didn't break any top 10 fan polls, Vergil consistently got top 5's.

This is like comparing Wesker to Sheva in terms of popularity.

Village

Verrgil is one of the most iconic Rival characters in the history of all video games, in one of the greatest genre' defining character action games in the history of video games. Not a nothing Oedipus complex people barley remember and when included in marvel vs capcom 3 wasn't consitaly questioned as to why she wasn't replaced by nero, lady, Virgil ( in vanilla) .

lolwat.

EDIT: Actually I just remembered Trish was in the base game in MVC3 and Vergil was added as DLC afterwards. Still didn't make sense back then.

The X-Men (yes, including Sentinel)
Dr. Doom
any more Mega Man characters

any more Street Fighter characters
Venom
Wesker

scrubs-evil-eye-o.gif

Dahbomb

The devs of Marvel 3 particularly Nitsuma were big DMC fans as well. You could also tell with the effort they put into them all and how faithful they were to the games (in Vergil's case... TOO faithful!).

I don't think we will be getting 3 DMC characters this time around and that's fine. But obviously Dante is a lock.

I'm glad they got the DMC characters in and made them as awesome as they did.

I had never played a DMC game beforehand. My only experience was the DMC anime. MVC3 convinced me to get the DMC HD Collection and I became a fan since.

Seyavesh

it's cool b/c that's his power anyways. he has a ton of unique shit and copycat stuff which really expresses his fighting style of just using moves from diff. chars in his own way

but yeah he also has a bunch of anims from other chars which i think most folks don't notice besides shit like his cr.m being ryu's
see:
http://imgur.com/a/IkVSr

N4elew1.gif

also here's one i forgot to put into that gallery (they're mirrored)
TT11N3P.jpg

PSqueak

Banned
Out of the Darkstalkers cast I want Huitzil/Phobos so bad it hurts. Him and Ultron would be such a great robot apocalypse.

Don't think Ultron would be kin on teaming up with a robot line that only wants to destroy half of humanity and would actually fight to protect the other half.

Dahbomb

I'm glad they got the DMC characters in and made them as awesome as they did.

I had never played a DMC game beforehand. My only experience was the DMC anime. MVC3 convinced me to get the DMC HD Collection and I became a fan since.
I have seen and heard this happen a lot that I am beginning to think WAY more people know about Vergil after UMVC3. Probably Trish too but definitely Vergil.

And yeah Taskmaster was cool but unlikely he's making it in this time. I was surprised he made it in over Hawkeye originally.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
lolwat.

EDIT: Actually I just remembered Trish was in the base game in MVC3 and Vergil was added as DLC afterwards.

This was before DMC4SE and the DMC HD Collection, and arguably Trish had more overall history, identification, and was current with the series as a whole. Vergil hadn't been a thing in games for upwards of 5 years, which is why his inclusion was such a (pleasant) surprise.

Vergil was especially popular with Japanese audiences.

Veedot

Im a horribly bias X23 fan so I don't want to see her go. But from a gameplay perspective and lack of fan demand I can see her being removed. And when people mention characters taking her moves that just physically hurts me lol

I also still hate the idea of sentinel as a character, mainly because hes a mindless robot and I never want him to return. Im still salty he got in MVC3 just from MVC2 fan demand

I didn't even know Tasky could reflect projectiles until like a few yrs in.....

I just happened to be watching DragonGod fight Chris G, and he started smacking Soul Fist away.

Thought it was pretty cool how Tasky had Ryu's low forward. Straight copied it.

J-Tier

I liked that Taskmaster was a mishmashed character. Probably made him a little easier to develop too since some animation assets could be reused.
Im a horribly bias X23 fan so I don't want to see her go. But from a gameplay perspective and lack of fan demand I can see her being removed. And when people mention characters taking her moves that just physically hurts me lol

I also still hate the idea of sentinel as a character, mainly because hes a mindless robot and I never want him to return. Im still salty he got in MVC3 just from MVC2 fan demand
I don't understand people wanting (or asserting) completely new characters to adopt the moveset of an already establish character.

I really would like to know more about flight mode in Infinite.

I have a feeling it's going to last longer than it did in MVC3, but not as long as it did in games prior to that.

How would everyone want the flight to be implemented this time around?

Dahbomb

I have a feeling it's going to last longer than it did in MVC3, but not as long as it did in games prior to that.

I want the flight speed to be faster so it feels like you are playing a flying character.

Seyavesh

likely doesn't exist or is unusably bad

small screenspace and no plinkdash or zigzag dash means it's easy to chase down someone in flight mode and convert into something. think marvel 2 without a sj screen

Lungless

Neo Member
Oh there you guys are. I didn't notice that the new thread closed until earlier.

Anyway, Ultron might be a main for sure. Though I'm a little bummed that the 4 button thing is back. I've always preferred 3 buttons.

Honestly, the Capcom side of things is what i'm most excited about. Roster direction for Marvel side is fairly obvious, really. Capcom side has soooo much potential. Not just that, but I feel like the Marvel characters always get top billing & use in most Marvel games - would love to see some Capcom characters tear it up.

TreIII

We need Demitri.

Would be worth it for the Gender Bendered Marvel characters. xD

YES! I'd want Demitri for the gender-bent characters. If he doesn't have Midnight Bliss, then he shouldn't be in it.

The genderbending is likely the very reason he won't ever appear in this series. Apparently, Marvel has a big problem with the idea of someone R63-ing their chars in a game like this. Doubtful that things have changed that much since MvC3.

Too bad, too, because it would be a funny way to make a few nice in-jokes here and there to their own source material. Even if it was to the tune of turning Spider-man into the likeness of his daughter from another timeline, Spider-girl, for a few seconds.

Top Bottom