• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster Discussion Thread

jett

D-Member
DMC3 Dante was the best Dante. DMC4 Dante wasn't bad but 3 was just, that's peak Dante.

I think I need to replay SE because that game's a classic. Sad how they fucked up Lady.

Cowboy Dante > Manbra Dante

515713_0.png

I think they used this forgotten Dante:

21v97NK.jpg

Sweet god, this is horrific. Wasn't there a video of it?

elLH9DF.jpg

He didn't actually look too terrible.

So then who is the last keeper? That is also likely from Marvel's side? We have Death and Dormammu left. I'm inclined to say it's Dormammu given that Frank Tieri worked on MvC3s story mode and they were really setting him up to be the big bad. Death holding an Infinity Stone from Thanos makes less sense, I think Death is just there to push Thanos' story forward, maybe convince him to unite with the heroes against Ultron Omega in the end. Also, Dormammu doesn't need any damn minions
but the Mindless Ones would be cool
. But seriously, go back to those MvC3 episodes, he was raining hell alone.

I know you mention him as a possibility later, but I think it would be Jedah. If he needs minions, Red Arremer is probably the answer. If you go by the Zip leak, which is evidently using western names, its not called Firebrand here, but rather just Red Arremer, which is just the generic name for the demon. If it is Dormammu, then its still probably the Red Arremer who would be his minions.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
At any rate, I agree with Ryce, this has made things pretty exciting as far as what the true final roster will be because of this recent injection of uncertainty into it all.

Congrats to those excited, but I personally can't find any enthusiasm over the fact that out of the possible 32 base characters only 4 are women. And then going by your guys' guesses the initial DLC will be nothing but more guys? No. I'm not okay with that. I ignored Ultimate because they pulled the same garbage there.

cordy

Banned
I will say the roster is giving me higher hopes. I hope it continues to look better visually. My issue with this game has never been the gameplay, it's always been the roster, single-player options and how it visually looks. If they can improve those then I'm in.

I just can't play a fighting game purely because of "well the game plays great" because I can always go to other fighters for that.

I know you mention him as a possibility later, but I think it would be Jedah. If he needs minions, Red Arremer is probably the answer. If you go by the Zip leak, which is evidently using western names, its not called Firebrand here, but rather just Red Arremer, which is just the generic name for the demon. If it is Dormammu, then its still probably the Red Arremer who would be his minions.

The thing is, the character isn't called Firebrand in Japan. Firebrand doesn't exist as a name there. That was solely introduced for the localization.

In Japan, Firebrand's name is Red Arremer. And so is his demon tribe. It's kind of a situation like with Toad or Yoshi, where the name is different depending on if you refer to Toad/Yoshi the character, or Toad/Yoshi the species.

If you watch Japanese footage for UMvC3, you'll see that Firebrand's name is indeed Red Arremer there. I think that might also explain why Firebrand doesn't have any moves based on the Gargoyle's Quest trilogy in his moveset, only generic GnG enemy-based ones.

The fact that Firebrand's name in the zip leak is Red Arremer thus might mean absolutely nothing.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Im pretty sure it was from their Day One at E3 video when Jason was around. It was either there or from their Sealed Envelope Podcast. Dont remember which, I was just listening to it while at work last night. Id post a link if I can find it.
Just went through the Sealed Envelope and yeah, they're just talking about the Rikurikumore posts on reddit.

Definitely a possibility, although I think Red Arremer is the Japanese name for Firebrand and might have been named that way in MvC3 files too.

Congrats to those excited, but I personally can't find any enthusiasm over the fact that out of the possible 32 base characters only 4 are women. And then going by your guys' guesses the initial DLC will be nothing but more guys? No. I'm not okay with that. I ignored Ultimate because they pulled the same garbage there.

Seems like if anything is for certain, the OT will be called MvC4Women.

Few things to note:

The story revolves around the characters having to find the remaining 4 stones before Ultron-Sigma does. And we explicitly know the story will feature characters that will not be playable (obvious, but they probably mean ones that are not minions). Assuming both Meio and Dahran are not playable, and each of them are guarding infinity stones at Valkanda and Knowmoon respectively, that probably leaves two more locations and two more bosses for the remaining two Infinity Stones, right? But, curiously, there is only one additional kind of minion listed to accompany those bosses, which are the Symbiote Soldiers. I haven't counted Ultron Drones (or XGard) because we know from the story demo and trailers that that's way before Thanos tells them where the remaining 2 (or 4) stones are.

This is kind of where I'm wedged (I'm about to go on a tangent with story mode speculation so you've been warned) because I don't see Meio or Dahran being playable, but I do see characters that could be related to "Symbiote Soldier" or "Symbiote Huge" being playable characters. Venom, for one, but Venom might not necessarily be the boss, some Capcom character, say, like Nemesis, could have infused the symbiote sample with the T-Virus to create some powerful soldiers (and himself into "Symbiote Huge"). Or you know, it could refer to The Winter Soldier who is possessed or in control of a symbiote. I'm inclined to say it's The Winter Soldier, given that Dahren and Meio are both Capcom characters. And even though Sigma and Black Panther are not playable, who says you don't fight them either at some point (BP is definitely always up for a fight and working in his own interests, furthermore Thanos does say in the trailer that Valkanda needs it) and then both end up as DLC with complete movesets (like Winter Soldier)?

So then who is the last keeper? That is also likely from Marvel's side? We have Death and Dormammu left. I'm inclined to say it's Dormammu given that Frank Tieri worked on MvC3s story mode and they were really setting him up to be the big bad. Death holding an Infinity Stone from Thanos makes less sense, I think Death is just there to push Thanos' story forward, maybe convince him to unite with the heroes against Ultron Omega in the end. Also, Dormammu doesn't need any damn minions
but the Mindless Ones would be cool
. But seriously, go back to those MvC3 episodes, he was raining hell alone.

To recap, 4 stones, 4 main locations focused around a keeper or at least a few characters that are focused on in that leg of the story and may or may not be the heroes (i.e. Venom). Working off of Ryce's speculation, some candidates:

Knowmoon: Meio, Zero, Strider?
Valkanda: Dahren, BP, Hunter
Symbiote-related Convergence: The Winter Soldier, Venom, Spider-man, Nemesis? Chris?
???: Dormammu, Dr. Strange, Jedah?, Ghost Rider?

hmm...if I'm reading these right...
I think something merged with Either Metro City or a resident evil stage symbiotized (maybe merged with Hells Kitchen?) would make sense here for the 3rd location. That's where Haggar could come in, probably most of the human characters too...

Dark Makai sounds like a plausible 4th location of the gem (Dark Dimension + Makai Realm) with the Arremers and Firebrand sharing a single model, but doubling as playable characters and grunt enemies?

Looks nothing like him.

Textures generally don't look very close to the character they're put on, and this is also a super close up on a photo taken off a monitor, so much so that the pixels of the monitor are obscuring the texture's clarity. And distorting the colours.
It's definitely Hulk though.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Random gameplay video. Gamma Charge puts characters into a spin? I guess this is so Hulk can dash back and keep it going. Love the look of the new Gamma Wave.

Compilation of Taunts from the Story Demo.

Textures generally don't look very close to the character they're put on, and this is also a super close up on a photo taken off a monitor, so much so that the pixels of the monitor are obscuring the texture's clarity. And distorting the colours.
It's definitely Hulk though.
My main thing is that pink/reddish stuff. I guess those are his boxers and are purple when not distorted?

Have they officially confirmed that this won't have cross-play on PC? I really don't want to pay for PS+ if I can avoid it. Also, is the PC version on release parity with console? It's on CDKeys (is that site legit?) for $34, but they're saying they won't deliver the key until "on or before September 30th."

Anybody notice how Ryu has follow ups to his light normals? Maybe they work like MvC2 mediums?

As for story speculation, I'm pretty sure as somebody before said, Thanos will betray the heroes and that will play into the final boss fight. Like I said in that post below, I think Ultron-Omega with all of the stones may be the penultimate boss, but then Thanos steals the stones to court Death and the final boss is either Gauntlet Thanos or Death herself.

I suspect that Jedah, Dormammu, Meio, Sigma, Ultron, and the heroes will each start with one stone, and by defeating/racing the others you get each of the stones to use in combat.

IIRC IntelliHeath or a junior member posted a pretty good educated guess at what the base and DLC would be like maybe 10 pages back.
That would be me.

The thing is, the character isn't called Firebrand in Japan. Firebrand doesn't exist as a name there. That was solely introduced for the localization.

In Japan, Firebrand's name is Red Arremer. And so is his demon tribe. It's kind of a situation like with Toad or Yoshi, where the name is different depending on if you refer to Toad/Yoshi the character, or Toad/Yoshi the species.

If you watch Japanese footage for UMvC3, you'll see that Firebrand's name is indeed Red Arremer there. I think that might also explain why Firebrand doesn't have any moves based on the Gargoyle's Quest trilogy in his moveset, only generic GnG enemy-based ones.

The fact that Firebrand's name in the zip leak is Red Arremer thus might mean absolutely nothing.

I knew that he's not called Firebrand in Japan, and just Red Arremer, but the names listed in the zip file are the western names, hence MegaMan X rather than RockMan X. Dahren Mohran may also sort of count as having the western name, though that's kind of fuzzy. But, given UMvC3, the western name should be Firebrand, but its listed as just Red Arremer instead, so its possible he's meant to be viewed more as a generic enemy in MvCI.

Seyavesh

I knew that he's not called Firebrand in Japan, and just Red Arremer, but the names listed in the zip file are the western names, hence MegaMan X rather than RockMan X. Dahren Mohran may also sort of count as having the western name, though that's kind of fuzzy. But, given UMvC3, the western name should be Firebrand, but its listed as just Red Arremer instead, so its possible he's meant to be viewed more as a generic enemy in MvCI.
firebrand is listed as RedArremer in the umvc3 files as well so yeap. i'm actually betting every single new char is going to have their "americanized" names filewise or something while all returning chars maintain the same shit as mvc3

rayray found plinks. check his thor movement. and he's.....smiling and having fun?
https://twitter.com/RayRay19wun/status/874494426487410688
that's from the demo release day stream, where he said the game felt like a flash game in terms of overall feel, haha. i'm very curious to see what his impressions are for the CEO/E3 build because of how critical he was of the demo

MoxManiac

Anybody notice how Ryu has follow ups to his light normals? Maybe they work like MvC2 mediums?

As for story speculation, I'm pretty sure as somebody before said, Thanos will betray the heroes and that will play into the final boss fight. Like I said in that post below, I think Ultron-Omega with all of the stones may be the penultimate boss, but then Thanos steals the stones to court Death and the final boss is either Gauntlet Thanos or Death herself.

I suspect that Jedah, Dormammu, Meio, Sigma, Ultron, and the heroes will each start with one stone, and by defeating/racing the others you get each of the stones to use in combat.

That would be me.

Ryce recently reconfirmed AntMan in the base roster so that speculated roster is off by at least one.

Edit: nevermind

Just watched some gameplay footage.
Game looks fun and feels like Mahvel, the overall presentation is kinda underwhelming though.

I hope they can improve some of the models before launch.

Lulubop

firebrand is listed as RedArremer in the umvc3 files as well so yeap. i'm actually betting every single new char is going to have their "americanized" names filewise or something while all returning chars maintain the same shit as mvc3

that's from the demo release day stream, where he said the game felt like a flash game in terms of overall feel, haha. i'm very curious to see what his impressions are for the CEO/E3 build because of how critical he was of the demo

Flux said that this version feels much better than the demo. I do wanna see what rayray has to say. When it comes to movement he understands the game on a level most don't.

Rayray was already saying the movement is great in story mode demo.
Yah he said he liked the movement (some of it), but didn't like the overlapping inputs due to input leniency. He felt MvC3 had less of that so cleaner inputs could produce the results you want. I mean it could mean you have to think differently about your timings on inputs, or hopefully newer version fixed some of those issues...

Does the VS build load faster than the story demo build?

Yes, but then again, the Story Build was in Story Mode, so I'm flatly assuming it's due to all the fancy effects and the like. SFV's story mode had longer loading times than usual IIRC. It also might be why it feels better in VS, since I believe there were framerate drops in the story mode due to the stages being unoptimized. Or maybe it was a server thing. I'm not sure.

Point is, it's like six seconds from seeing the quad squad on screen to getting in a match.

Can someone give me a rundown on the regular ability and the super/metered version of the gems that we've seen so far?

I feel like I'm starting to mix them up.

Seyavesh

Rayray was already saying the movement is great in story mode demo.

when did he say that? last i saw he really disliked how the movement felt b/c of what quote said- the input leniency would keep giving him shit he didn't want so he didn't have really fine control of his movement. even on wavedashes he'd get down, down moves on shit despite doing df, d or whatever. he was super bummed out about the game at the end of the stream

https://clips.twitch.tv/MistyFineSaladTooSpicy

speaking of which, where the hell is all the CEO impressions/footage?

Can someone give me a rundown on the regular ability and the super/metered version of the gems that we've seen so far?

I feel like I'm starting to mix them up.
Power- gives a wall bounce attack, when active damage output is increased

Time- gives an invincible dash, when active speed of character is increased

Space - pulls enemies towards you, when active encases opponent in the shame cube and locks them down for duration

Reality- gives a homing projectile attack, when active gives player access to the four elements

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
when did he say that? last i saw he really disliked how the movement felt b/c of what quote said- the input leniency would keep giving him shit he didn't want so he didn't have really fine control of his movement. even on wavedashes he'd get down, down moves on shit despite doing df, d or whatever. he was super bummed out about the game at the end of the stream

https://clips.twitch.tv/MistyFineSaladTooSpicy

speaking of which, where the hell is all the CEO impressions/footage?

I guess they would upload after CEO is over.

Power- gives a wall bounce attack, when active damage output is increased

Time- gives an invincible dash, when active speed of character is increased

Space - pulls enemies towards you, when active encases opponent in the shame cube and locks them down for duration

Reality- gives a homing projectile attack, when active gives player access to the four elements
Ahh great, thanks!

There are supposed to be 6 gems in total, yes?

Top Bottom