• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster Discussion Thread

MVC:I is basically a death by a thousand cuts situation. From the roster situation and choices to the graphics and art style to the marketing. All of those having problems added up. It's just crazy how fast all of this happened. The game was only just revealed in December and pretty much everyone was still excited up until the roster leak just prior to E3. It's been downhill ever since.
Yep the roster leak killed it. Leakers didn't even preface it with "not final" or "what we know so far" so characters were left off are all assumed to be DLC or nonplayable. It started such a bizarre harsh reaction that Capcom couldn't control so instead of a video showing Firebrand and him having cool moves or insane effects or whatever, we have a negative perception of all characters that aren't our favorites that's been brewing for months so comments are instead filled with "lol you put in Arthur over Nina BoF3" and thus the negativity spreads.

Really shitty situation but I'm buying the game regardless.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I think back to the PSX announcement and how happy I was to see a game that I wasn't expecting to be made. The opening with X, Ryu, Iron Man, and Captain Marvel was glorious to see because it confirmed that the Vs series was continuing. Most people like to get on Max for his reaction vids, but it was real hype in his reaction to this game.

Now fast forward all the way to now and the game has lost nearly all of its momentum. Cot damn it, Capcom. I remember when you were an amazing company that wanted to make the best product for your fans. Marvel ain't off the hook, either, because they made this game into an MCU (characters and artstyle) promotion tool with those choices.

I'm still excited about the game itself since people have been very positive on gameplay. Also there is a hope that the roster may not be complete after all so it's plausible that we might get something out of this. I wouldn't temper my expectation UNTIL I see an evidence of any character outside of Ryce's list.

But I wouldn't deny that my hype got hit with those missteps, etc.

MrCarter

Thanks. 1.6M is pretty extremely low for Street Fighter franchise in general. It's definitely not good.

It didn't help the game only released on PS4 and PC either. Will be interesting to see how well it does if/when a SSFV is released but I assume the perception would have set in by then.

The best thing they can do now is cultivate the dedicated audience they have now by improving the quality of the product and perhaps even go F2P in a few years to grow it further.

Neonep

Also another thing is that, I wonder if there will be a way to unlock DLC by grinding a bit in this game. I got all 6 characters in season one of DLC for SFV and didn't have to spend a penny.

MrCarter

Also another thing is that, I wonder if there will be a way to unlock DLC by grinding a bit in this game. I got all 6 characters in season one of DLC for SFV and didn't have to spend a penny.

I doubt it. If you could then I'm surprised why they haven't announced it yet, considering all the negative and toxic attention the game is getting right now.

Neonep

It didn't help the game only released on PS4 and PC either. Will be interesting to see how well it does if/when a SSFV is released but I assume the perception would have set in by then.

The best thing they can do now is cultivate the dedicated audience they have now by improving the quality of the product and perhaps even go F2P in a few years to grow it further.

It's not even that, it's just that they should take their time with these games and not rush them out. If SFV had some extra months to put something in and just work on it that would have been much better at launch, same seems to be for MVC:I. If this game was coming out in February people would still be pretty hopeful and we all know that a lot can be done in just 2 months of additional development. Didn't that happen with the Last Of Us where they delayed the game just a few weeks and the Naughty Dog said that it made a worked of difference.

While I don't expect it AT ALL, I really hope they add the ability to play against a character that you don't own in Training mode/single player versus.

Similar to what KI does when you don't own a particular character.

While I don't expect it AT ALL, I really hope they add the ability to play against a character that you don't own in Training mode/single player versus.

Similar to what KI does when you don't own a particular character.

Injustice has a great thing where they let you play the newest DLC character in a multiverse for a few days to test them out in order to get you to like them enough to buy it. I don't expect Capcom to be savvy enough to do so.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
MVC:I is basically a death by a thousand cuts situation. From the roster situation and choices to the graphics and art style to the marketing. All of those having problems added up. It's just crazy how fast all of this happened. The game was only just revealed in December and pretty much everyone was still excited up until the roster leak just prior to E3. It's been downhill ever since.

I think the biggest problem they have is actually the amount of competition there is for this relatively niche genre.

So far this year we've had For Honor, Injustice 2, Tekken 7, and ARMS, and in early 2018 we have Dragon Ball FighterZ.

I'm sure there's an audience that's happy to buy 3-5 fighting games a year, but I'm not convinced that there's an endless appetite to keep buying these games, or that Marvel rises to the top of the stack. A lot of the Spring games will be $20-$30 by the time Marvel comes out as well.

By comparison, Destiny 2 has also had a lot of negative news since its reveal, but the last game in that genre was March 2016's The Division, and the next known one after it is Fall 2018's Anthem, so people are very likely to pick it up if they want this type of game even if they have a lot of issues with it.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
In light of the interviews,

"It's something I really can't comment on right now," Ong said. "We haven't officially released the roster. Let's just say we think our fans will be pleased with what's being announced. And what we talked about earlier with games-as-a-service, we certainly expect Marvel vs. Capcom to be that. There's going to be content released over time. We're not seeing this as a one-off that ships this fall; it's a service that goes on for years. Therefore, if you look at it, content and new characters are going to be dropped over time, and I think fans will be happy with what's going to be dropped, not just in September but going on from there."

What we can announce at this point in time is just the 2017 character pass, which we've talked about. We've already come out and said, "We're gonna support this game with six new characters in 2017." So they're all gonna come out this year. So those are six characters and six premium costumes. Beyond that we don't have any announcements at this time. But it is called Infinite for a reason.

I know from the beginning when they broke the news about Character Pass 2017 so we just knew that the game is going to be like Street Fighter V in term of getting updates bimonthly or so.

When I took a look at the roster, it actually make sense why we are getting those characters such as Spencer, Arthur, Firebrand, Nemesis, Winter Solider, etc, other than obvious and popular characters and like Hulk, Ryu, Mega Man, Thor, Captain America, etc. I would imagine that not many fans would pick up Spencer, Nemesis, Firebrand and Winter Solider if they were downloadable contents since they aren't quite high demanding by the fans.

It actually make sense why they held back numbers of popular veterans and requested newcomers. It's obvious they are going to sell them to us as downloadable contents. I think Capcom want to save handful of popular veterans so it would be easier for them to work on the development and schedule for Character Pass 2018. I do think having veterans part of character pass would ease the development so they could focus more on newcomers. (I might be wrong on that matters)

I know some people think it's scummy for them to held back popular characters like Sigma and Black Panther as DLC, and I don't disagree with that.

Is Winter Soldier likely not on the base roster? He's also not really unpopular or anything. Just not someone anyone was really asking for.

Jawmuncher

In light of the interviews,

I know from the beginning when they broke the news about Character Pass 2017 so we just knew that the game is going to be like Street Fighter V in term of getting updates bimonthly or so.

When I took a look at the roster, it actually make sense why we are getting those characters such as Spencer, Arthur, Firebrand, Nemesis, Winter Solider, etc, other than obvious and popular characters and like Hulk, Ryu, Mega Man, Thor, Captain America, etc. I would imagine that not many fans would pick up Spencer, Nemesis, Firebrand and Winter Solider if they were downloadable contents since they aren't quite high demanding by the fans.

It actually make sense why they held back numbers of popular veterans and requested newcomers. It's obvious they are going to sell them to us as downloadable contents. I think Capcom want to save handful of popular veterans so it would be easier for them to work on the development and schedule for Character Pass 2018. I do think having veterans part of character pass would ease the development so they could focus more on newcomers. (I might be wrong on that matters)

I know some people think it's scummy for them to held back popular characters like Sigma and Black Panther as DLC, and I don't disagree with that.

Yeah it's obvious why they'd hold some fan favorites back. Every fighting game does it outside the absolute staples that must be present (Ryu and Chun in SF or Scorpion and Sub-Zero in MK). The issue is that the did a pretty bad job of balancing it. I don't think any minds the fact of some of these returning characters. The fact is a lot of the roster from the leak are not fan favorites and are instead repeats of the last game. More newcomers is an easier way for people to look pass sucb inclusions. But the weak and small amount of newcomers we have is what makes the current roster really stick out.

I don't think there'd be as much complaining on the roster from the hardcore if a lot of those fan favorites from MVC3 which didn't make it in made it in now. Feels like capcom went "Oh people wanted X, we added him and that covers our bases now".

JAXXX

Do you have any comparisons between the faces, out of curiosity? Would be cool to see those updates.
This...
wonderw.jpg

to this...

ww32qtbjscdihkernlux.gif

d4aTsTMrgR7Nd8IM.gif

to
26FL4r4GPROiT41c4.gif

Wonder Woman looks and sounds lovely in IJ2. Love how she plays too.

Shame she has an RNG based trait (and is an absolute bitch in her dialogue/the story)

RocBase

Yep the roster leak killed it. Leakers didn't even preface it with "not final" or "what we know so far" so characters were left off are all assumed to be DLC or nonplayable. It started such a bizarre harsh reaction that Capcom couldn't control so instead of a video showing Firebrand and him having cool moves or insane effects or whatever, we have a negative perception of all characters that aren't our favorites that's been brewing for months so comments are instead filled with "lol you put in Arthur over Nina BoF3" and thus the negativity spreads.

Really shitty situation but I'm buying the game regardless.

I mean to Ryce's credit it's not as if he chose the roster and setup the aggressive DLC practice. Ultimate's new characters leaked what, a day after it was announced? And while there was the usual "who the fuck is rocket" "wasted slot!!!" etc, for the most part the reception was pretty positive overall - especially the Capcom side.

Jawmuncher

I mean to Ryce's credit it's not as if he chose the roster and setup the aggressive DLC practice. Ultimate's new characters leaked what, a day after it was announced? And while there was the usual "who the fuck is rocket" "wasted slot!!!" etc, for the most part the reception was pretty positive overall - especially the Capcom side.

Yeah Ultimate did a good job of adding some fan favorites and diversifying it up.

Vergil, Phoenix, Ghost Rider, Dr Strange, Frank West, and Strider were all highly requested characters. Then the other marvel additions and capcom were pretty well diversified outside the lack of any female characters in that update (Still say Nina should've been chose over Firebrand but oh well)

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Yeah Ultimate did a good job of adding some fan favorites and diversifying it up.

Vergil, Phoenix, Ghost Rider, Dr Strange, Frank West, and Strider were all highly requested characters. Then the other marvel additions and capcom were pretty well diversified outside the lack of any female characters in that update (Still say Nina should've been chose over Firebrand but oh well)

Hilariously enough, if the rumor is correct, we could have Frank West, Strider, Nemesis, Firebrand, Dr. Strange, Ghost Rider, Nova, Rocket Raccoon, and Hawkeye in Marvel Vs. Capcom Infinite. It's like 9 out of 12.

P.S. I definitely agree with you about Nina. :(

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Sorry about double post.

Yeah it's obvious why they'd hold some fan favorites back. Every fighting game does it outside the absolute staples that must be present (Ryu and Chun in SF or Scorpion and Sub-Zero in MK). The issue is that the did a pretty bad job of balancing it. I don't think any minds the fact of some of these returning characters. The fact is a lot of the roster from the leak are not fan favorites and are instead repeats of the last game. More newcomers is an easier way for people to look pass sucb inclusions. But the weak and small amount of newcomers we have is what makes the current roster really stick out.

I don't think there'd be as much complaining on the roster from the hardcore if a lot of those fan favorites from MVC3 which didn't make it in made it in now. Feels like capcom went "Oh people wanted X, we added him and that covers our bases now".

That's actually good point. At least they finally gave the fans what they wanted during Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 which are Jedah, Monster Hunter, Captain Marvel (Ms. Marvel), Venom (maybe) and Mega Man X. They were most common requests during UMVC3 hype train. I can see why people felt that it's not enough fan favorite or newcomers to pick up the game.

Is Winter Soldier likely not on the base roster? He's also not really unpopular or anything. Just not someone anyone was really asking for.

I don't think many people were asking for him since he didn't really have many tools to go with since there are many characters out there that would be so similar to him but even much better. He was like literally bottom of barrel for many fans.

I don't think he meant that way. I think he meant that Ryce implied the list is final when there is a chance that it might not be final numbers after all. I wouldn't jump into conclusion on that matters until we get any characters announcement outside of Ryce's leaked list.

Neonep

Winter Soldier seems like a perfect choice for DLC.

So you guys think we'll see the final trailer at D23 and every trailer after that will be DLC?

Ryce

So you guys think we'll see the final trailer at D23 and every trailer after that will be DLC?
D23 is two months before the game comes out, so that's definitely not going to be the final trailer.

Evo or D23 - a gameplay trailer with Gamora and a new character, maybe
Comic-Con - a handful of characters and the Mind Stone
Gamescom - a handful of characters and the Soul Stone

I don't think we'll get in-game DLC footage until after launch.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Winter Soldier seems like a perfect choice for DLC.

Why would you think we are going to get final trailer in early July when we have SDCC at nearly end of the month?

It's really discouraging seeing my fav fighting game series reduced to a laughing matter.

I felt the same when SFV was getting slammed everywhere, but this just seems worse.

What happened? Why did it even get to this level?
It's their own fault at this point. Capcom should have taken more time with the game.

A bigger roster (32 characters would have been okay) and better art style/direction would be nice...

Neoxon

It's their own fault at this point. Capcom should have taken more time with the game.

A bigger roster (32 characters would have been okay) and better art style/direction would be nice...
We actually have reason to believe that the base roster may be around 32-34 characters on Day 1 thanks to the .zip leak.

Dahbomb

LMAO @ people being now happy with 32 characters... (not aimed at anyone here, just in general)

Lowered expectations all up in this bitch.

That's STILL LOWER than vanilla Marvel 3 a game that made its characters from scratch. Most of the roster of Marvel Infinite even with the rumored 32 characters is still copy/pasta.

Do not applaud Capcom for that shit for a single second. Do not celebrate them for delivering below the expectation set by the series before it.

Neoxon

LMAO @ people being now happy with 32 characters... (not aimed at anyone here, just in general)

Lowered expectations all up in this bitch.

That's STILL LOWER than vanilla Marvel 3 a game that made its characters from scratch. Most of the roster of Marvel Infinite even with the rumored 32 characters is still copy/pasta.

Do not applaud Capcom for that shit for a single second. Do not celebrate them for delivering below the expectation set by the series before it.
I'm not celebrating it, the base roster count should be higher given the amount of reused assets in the game. But at the very least, it's not as bad as the Ryce leak led us to believe (though it is close).

Dahbomb

It wasn't aimed at anyone here, just what I heard from other people.

Like people are actually relieved that we are getting 4 more characters. I guess they must be Dormammu and Haggar fans.

No shit... 4 is better than 0.

RocBase

I don't think he meant that way. I think he meant that Ryce implied the list is final when there is a chance that it might not be final numbers after all. I wouldn't jump into conclusion on that matters until we get any characters announcement outside of Ryce's leaked list.

Oh no I get that, what I was trying to say is I'm not really sure whether Ryce signalling it as incomplete would have made much of a difference to the reception. Of the 28 that was leaked, people were already having issue with the selection. Capcom's own continued practice of hurting themselves weren't helping matters either.

If it had more new characters and say, some of the Xmen (I know I know, long shot), I genuinely believe we'd be seeing a whole lot less salt. It doesn't help that they're already prominently advertising some of the new characters as DLC, characters that people expected to be playable in the base roster. The game also just looks very lazy and careless that you can't help BUT see how blatant of a cashgrab they're setting this up to be.

It just reflects badly.

SaikyoBro

It wasn't aimed at anyone here, just what I heard from other people.

Like people are actually relieved that we are getting 4 more characters. I guess they must be Dormammu and Haggar fans.

No shit... 4 is better than 0.

It's definitely good news in my book assuming it's true. Haggar Frank Dorm and (to a lesser extent) Ghost Rider are all really stupid exclusions and not having to inevitably blow $20 to get them down the line would be really good news.

Obviously 32 characters isn't enough, the lineup has a blatant lack of diversity and the number of newcomers is inexcusably small, but I say we take any small victories we can at this point.

I'm actually looking forward to explore the game as much as possible when it's out, but as an MVC fan, I am really disappointed with Capcom's handling of the game. Marvel is no better, either.

Hopefully the remaining information can salvage what's left of this game's rep.

Btw, I'm already getting tired of the "infinite possibilities" nonsense in regards to the DLC future of the roster. The friggin roster isn't even announced yet.

Mugy

Cause MCU Vision would be dead due to not having the gem? (I'm actually serious on this one.)

Back in the day i seriously though that Marvel and Capcom would replace X-men characters with other characters, something like:

Black Phanter = Wolverine
Vision = Magneto

Now i just gotta ask again; what the hell happened

Neoxon

Wait, so Zero is part of the main roster? Wasnt he not part of the leak?
Yes, Zero's in the base roster. There was one unspecified slot in Ryce's leak, though we heard from others that Frank was in the game, so we assumed the last slot was for him. Now with Zero being revealed & with two other leaks proving to be accurate, we have reason to believe that the Ryce leak wasn't necessarily the entire base roster.

To be fair, even when all we knew about the game was 2v2 and stones, I fully expected a 32-36 character roster (34 was my guess), so the current number of 32 isn't too bad for me.

Evo or D23 - a gameplay trailer with Gamora and a new character, maybe
Comic-Con - a handful of characters and the Mind Stone
Gamescom - a handful of characters and the Soul Stone
Somebody call Eventhubs!

Ryce

This is pure speculation, but my most optimistic-yet-plausible assessment of the .zip leak would be...

Playable Characters (13 veterans & 4 newcomers per side)

Arthur
Chris
Chun-Li
Dante
Firebrand
Frank West
Haggar
Morrigan
Nemesis T-Type
Ryu
Spencer
Strider Hiryu
Zero
Grandmaster Meio
Hunter
Jedah
X

Captain America
Doctor Strange
Dormammu
Ghost Rider
Hawkeye
Hulk
Iron Man
Nova
Rocket Raccoon
Spider-Man
Thanos
Thor
Venom
Captain Marvel
Gamora
Ultron
Winter Soldier

DLC (also appearing in story mode)
Sigma
Black Panther

Story Enemies
Symbiote Soldier (Capcom grunt with Marvel infection)
Xgardian (Marvel grunt with Capcom infection)
Ultron Sigma (Marvel/Capcom fusion)

Huge Story Bosses
Dah'ren Mohran (Capcom)
Symbiote Huge (Marvel)
Ultron Omega (Marvel/Capcom fusion)

Assist Characters
”RRaccoon_2" (Groot)
Ultron Drone (doubles as a story mode enemy)

Cutscene Models
Death
Restrained Thanos

This is also speculation (I don't know anything about the marketing plans), but based on the .zip leak, this is how I'd expect/want the reveals to pan out:

Evo or D23 - Gameplay trailer featuring Gamora, who was revealed in the previous story trailer, and Grandmaster Meio, who was merely teased.

Comic-Con - Story mode trailer focusing on the Mind Stone, a Symbiote-infected Resident Evil locale with Symbiote soldiers, a quick glimpse of the giant Symbiote boss, and the official reveals of Hunter, Frank West, Haggar, Nemesis, Spider-Man, and Venom.

Gamescom - Story mode trailer focusing on the Soul Stone, a fused Darkstalkers/Doctor Strange ”demon dimension," and the official reveals of Jedah, Firebrand, Winter Soldier, Dormammu, and Ghost Rider. The gameplay trailer would show the Soul Stone's resurrection mechanic being used on Winter Soldier.

Arthur
Chris
Chun-Li
Dante
Firebrand
Frank West
Haggar
Morrigan
Nemesis T-Type
Ryu
Spencer
Strider Hiryu
Zero
Grandmaster Meio
Hunter
Jedah
X

Captain America
Doctor Strange
Dormammu
Ghost Rider
Hawkeye
Hulk
Iron Man
Nova
Rocket Raccoon
Spider-Man
Thanos
Thor
Venom
Captain Marvel
Gamora
Ultron
Winter Soldier

I'd actually be pretty fine with this.
The gameplay trailer would show the Soul Stone’s resurrection mechanic being used on Winter Soldier.
That's... oddly specific.

Honestly, that roster is better for me than UMvC3's was. Crazy.

Ryce, do you know what the Mind and Soul Gems will do? I know you wrote resurrection for Soul's Surge, but I wonder if you can fill in the "V-Skills" for both and Mind's Surge.

Top Bottom