• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster Discussion Thread

Ryce

I can't believe Loki's not included, especially with Asgard featuring so prominently in the story. He's the main villain of the highest grossing MCU film and would make for an inherently unique fighter with his scepter and illusory magic.

Neoxon

I did say very least. I wasn't the one to come up with this viability so I'm confused what that actually means. I just listed two I think would make sense, people would recognize, and would play well.

• Quake Agents of Shield
  • Medusa Inhumans
  • Crystal Inhumans
  • Black Widow Avengers
  • Wasp Avengers
  • Dagger Cloak and Dagger
  • Valkyrie Thor
  • Scarlet Witch Avengers
  • Nico Minoru Runaways
  • Squirrel Girl Runaways
  • Hela Thor
  • Jessica Jones Defenders
  • Nebula Guardians of the Galaxy
  • Sif Thor
  • Elektra Defenders
  • Mockingbird Agents of Shield

others I didn't mention: Misty Knight, Colleen Wing, Slingshot, Debrii, Molly Hayes, Karolina Dean, Agent 13/Carter
Trust me, I'd be championing Scarlet Witch as hard as I do for Star-Lord if she wasn't impacted by the ban.

Neonep

The absence of Black Widow is flabbergasting IMO. Along with the lack of movie develoment they're practically trolling us now.
Nobody wants a Black Widow movie. That would be a massive waste of resources for Marvel. Out of all the Avengers she is the most boring and least interesting. Also Scarlet Johansson has been in movies like what we would see like Lucy. Nobody wants that.

Neonep

I can't believe Loki's not included, especially with Asgard featuring so prominently in the story. He's the main villain of the highest grossing MCU film and would make for an inherently unique fighter with his scepter and illusory magic.
Yeah I don't understand that. Same can be said for Daredevil and/or Iron Fist. The MCU is tied to the Netflix series which have been incredible successful and the Defenders is coming out a month before the game drops. That's a missed opportunity.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
It's odd that you don't really think Medusa or Dagger not being viable? Wasp? I'm not sure about her since we might have Ant-Man. I figured that Wasp might be part of his level 3. I'm all for Quake tho. To be frank with you, I think we are going to have characters outside of MCU in Character Pass 2018 so it's likely that we would able to see the characters outside of MCU getting in.

I don't really care about some characters from MCU since most of them would be more likely to become bland and uninteresting characters depend on their abilities and powers. I meant we should have

Black Widow
Ms. Marvel (Kamala)
She-Hulk
Medusa
Cloak and Dagger
Scarlet Witch
Storm
Songbird (a director is interested to do Thunderbolt after GOTG so it's possibly they could include her in for future advisement)
Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur ( I know it's extremely unlikely tho)

along with Gamora and Captain Marvel.

While I'd be fine with most, I'd be ecstatic if Songbird made it in. Maybe by some miracle we'll get a female Runaways rep considering their show will start airing next year.

At the very least, She-Hulk should have come back. She's been one of Marvel's most prominent women for a long time, and female powerhouses are a rarity in Capcom fighting games. I think she added a lot to MvC3's roster.

Molly Hayes would be legit.

This is another one I assumed would be a given. Between Loki, BP, and BW, I was willing to bet that all of them would've been on the base roster.

Damn, we were way off about a lot.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
With the heavy MCU focus, the Marvel side probably wouldn't really have had many other viable female fighters that were also interesting. Hela is the best I think they could have done really, since I don't think Black Widow really adds much.

People keep saying this but that's super false? If you're going movies only characters you still have Sif, Black Widow, Hela, Frigga, Rescue, Scarlett Witch, Peggy Carter, Agent 13, Wasp (two wasps, in fact), Red She-Hulk, Maria Hill, Ellen Brandt, Nebula, Irani Rael, Bereet, Cassie Lang (Stature/Sting), F!Thor, Ayo, Ancient One, Tina Minoru, Ayesha, Mainframe, Aleta, Silk, Spinnerete, Valkyre, Malice, Okoye, Shuri/Black Panther, Nightshade and Proxima Midnight.

If you went to tv shows you'd have Quake, Mockingbird, Elektra, Jessica Jones, Slinghsot, Madame Hydra, Nico Minoru, Madame Masque and so many others

That's not even counting characters that aren't in the MCU but not affiliated with the Fox "ban" like She-Hulk, Ms. Marvel, Spider-Woman, Songbird, Moon Girl + Devil Dinosaur, Spider-Woman (Gwenn), America, Hawkeye (the cool one) and a bunch more I could think of.

Even if the excuse is "MCU!" that's just not true.

I mean, I could come up with 28 female characters from the MCU (not literally based on their MCU counterparts, mind you) with moveset potential and could be recognizable but what would make them viable?

At the very least, Quake and Wasp should be viable choices.

what even is viable if it's not moveset potential

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This is pure speculation, but my most optimistic-yet-plausible assessment of the .zip leak would be…

Playable Characters (13 veterans & 4 newcomers per side)

Arthur
Chris
Chun-Li
Dante
Firebrand
Frank West
Haggar
Morrigan
Nemesis T-Type
Ryu
Spencer
Strider Hiryu
Zero
Grandmaster Meio
Hunter
Jedah
X

Captain America
Doctor Strange
Dormammu
Ghost Rider
Hawkeye
Hulk
Iron Man
Nova
Rocket Raccoon
Spider-Man
Thanos
Thor
Venom
Captain Marvel
Gamora
Ultron
Winter Soldier

DLC (also appearing in story mode)
Sigma
Black Panther

Story Enemies
Symbiote Soldier (Capcom grunt with Marvel infection)
Xgardian (Marvel grunt with Capcom infection)
Ultron Sigma (Marvel/Capcom fusion)

Huge Story Bosses
Dah’ren Mohran (Capcom)
Symbiote Huge (Marvel)
Ultron Omega (Marvel/Capcom fusion)

Assist Characters
“RRaccoon_2” (Groot)
Ultron Drone (doubles as a story mode enemy)

Cutscene Models
Death
Restrained Thanos

This is also speculation (I don’t know anything about the marketing plans), but based on the .zip leak, this is how I’d expect/want the reveals to pan out:

Evo or D23 - Gameplay trailer featuring Gamora, who was revealed in the previous story trailer, and Grandmaster Meio, who was merely teased.

Comic-Con - Story mode trailer focusing on the Mind Stone, a Symbiote-infected Resident Evil locale with Symbiote soldiers, a quick glimpse of the giant Symbiote boss, and the official reveals of Hunter, Frank West, Haggar, Nemesis, Spider-Man, and Venom.

Gamescom - Story mode trailer focusing on the Soul Stone, a fused Darkstalkers/Doctor Strange “demon dimension,” and the official reveals of Jedah, Firebrand, Winter Soldier, Dormammu, and Ghost Rider. The gameplay trailer would show the Soul Stone’s resurrection mechanic being used on Winter Soldier.
Yeah I still think my list is a bit more plausible. I doubt Meio is playable or base or they would have revealed him in the last batch like Thanos. And Gamora got a render, Meio or Dahren didn't. Nothing really going for him being playable.

Also those reveals don't really match up with the pattern of reveals we've seen thus far, but I can see them spreading them out because the second batch was after months of nothing. Also waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too light for D23/EVO, especially to show an old build they had at E3. IMO:

Early or Pre-D23: Story trailer featuring Spider-Man/RE convergence and characters as you described. It's the most appropriate venue (vs. EVO) for Story trailer and a Story (or cinematic one) has always preceded the gameplay. New characters playable at show. They reveal half of the remaining new characters (I'm iffy on this because I think the number of characters left to reveal is like 1.5 reveals worth, going off of how many they have revealed in the past, but there's so many events we know they'll have a presence at).

EVO: Same playable build from D23 at EVO. Sunday night features either new gameplay trailer (or this comes out during E3) or a modes trailer with tease of one or two of the last few characters left to reveal, probably FGC-relevant ones like Jedah, and beta announcement if we're super lucky (but IMO unlikely, would have likely been a pre-order incentive long ago). Would be neat if they showed more of the characters that didn't match up with the original 28 leak at EVO finals to get the crowd back but these things and trailers are made far in advance of this stuff. We also don't know yet if there's a Marvel panel at EVO or not.

SDCC: Only a week later so I don't expect much, and we don't know if it will be part of a Marvel Games panel or not, but I doubt it. Likely same build as D23/EVO with a trailer. They might save either the gameplay trailer or a modes trailer (likely modes) for SDCC, but I don't expect anything big.

Gamescom: As you described. They've been pretty proactive when it comes to DLC announcements, I wonder if they'll announce the rest by this time or keep the remaining 4 to be revealed after launch, but I'd rather know sooner.

I am somewhat disheartened by the idea that the majority of the DLC characters already being in the game in some form, though. If DLC is supposed to extend a game, and you label it as all-new, it should feel a bit more like that.

Ryce

SDCC: Only a week later so I don't expect much, and we don't know if it will be part of a Marvel Games panel or not, but I doubt it. Likely same build as D23/EVO with a trailer. They might save either the gameplay trailer or a modes trailer (likely modes) for SDCC, but I don't expect anything big.
SDCC is the biggest comic book related event between the game's reveal last December and its release this September. I don't think the event will pass without character reveals -- it's a really, really big deal. Six MvC3 characters were revealed at SDCC in 2010, and Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 itself was revealed at SDCC 2011.

Every gameplay trailer but 1 has teased a DLC character at the end of the trailer, so should we expect that pattern to continue?

Gameplay trailer 1: tease at Ultron Sigma
Gameplay trailer 2: Sigma DLC
Gameplay trailer 3: Black Panther DLC

Lulubop

SDCC is the biggest comic book related event between the game's reveal last December and its release this September. I don't think the event will pass without character reveals -- it's a really, really big deal. Six MvC3 characters were revealed at SDCC in 2010, and Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 itself was revealed at SDCC 2011.

Additionally SFxT was actually revealed at SDCC (Not at E3, not at EVO) as well, so it's big for Capcom too. I'm with you on this.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
At the very least, She-Hulk should have come back. She’s been one of Marvel’s most prominent women for a long time, and female powerhouses are a rarity in Capcom fighting games. I think she added a lot to MvC3's roster.

Tnf2obZ.gif

I don't have an answer for She-Hulk though.

I thought She-Hulk would have a good shot getting in MVCI because she's only Marvel character from UMVC3 that aren't under Fox Ban. I was so wrong on that matters despite that I already expected her being gone from the beginning.

Black Widow's another character most of us guaranteed would be in.

I'm pretty sure she would be in the game regardless.

Same here. Loki and Black Panther are two characters I actually thought would be in base roster and I was surprised that it's not in case. I guess they are quite popular so they figure that they would be better off as DLC since people would buy them.

Lulubop

Could D23 show the Marvel half of a single gameplay trailer, then Evo show the Capcom half of a gameplay trailer?

Evo is never really a big reveal event for these things, I'm not sure why people expect it to be. If you think they'll show something at EVO and nothing at SDCC, you're bugging.

Considering they put Panther in the DLC crew I'm thinking Loki's in there too

Trying to avoid trade-ins n boost sales by putting the popular peeps in there, unlike SFV which keeps putting in wack nerds

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Yeah I don't understand that. Same can be said for Daredevil and/or Iron Fist. The MCU is tied to the Netflix series which have been incredible successful and the Defenders is coming out a month before the game drops. That's a missed opportunity.

Oddly enough Defenders is getting the MVCI cover so I suspect we might get DareDevil or Iron Fist eventually.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I wonder how do y'all feel if we are going to get 36-40 characters, rather than 32-34? I know I would be escalated if we did.

I suppose there's nothing stopping them from releasing tons of stuff in July for these events.

They still have to review other contents in Marvel Vs. Capcoom: Infinite even I think it might be better off being reveals in August tho.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Well Ryce put it well.

It's obvious at the point.

D23 - MVCI information
EVO - SFV information
SDCC - 2nd batch of MVCI information

Just going off of ryce's leaked list + zero

Drop nova and red arremer for she hulk and c viper

How much happier are yall with the roster?

I wouldn't drop anyone, but I would add Nina and She-Hulk top of the roster then someone should be slightly happier.

J-Tier

I wouldn't drop anyone, but I would add Nina and She-Hulk top of the roster then someone should be slightly happier.
Yeah, this is my stance. Why even bring up the idea of replacing, when you could just add. It would make me less happy to replace Nova and Red Arremer as well at this point, regardless of who takes their place.

Getting Nina at all will win me over.

Armigr

C. Viper is like an excitement vaccuum to me so in this exact situation I would actually be less happy.

Now, if you were to replace Viper with Tron Bonne, Ammy or Trish (or a newcomer, heaven forbid!)? Then we'd be in business.

Nova is also one of the few interesting fringe picks on the Marvel side, so I'm not even sure if I want him gone. ��

EDIT: Hey wait a minute, Red Arremer is Firebrand! I don't want him gone either! ��

Dick Rider is popular so he's not going anywhere

I would probably take any other character on earth instead of Firebrand, he's goddamn useless

Lulubop

It's obvious at the point.

D23 - MVCI information
EVO - SFV information
SDCC - 2nd batch of MVCI information

Well I think SDCC is going to the next big info drop. Firebrand is one of my favorite characters and Nova looks great

DR2K

Banned
Trust me, I'd be championing Scarlet Witch as hard as I do for Star-Lord if she wasn't impacted by the ban.

That ban is arbitrary. Marvel has complete control of their properties in media besides movie. Even though there's a special exception with the Maximoff twins.

*gasp*

I mained him in UMvC3

Main someone else~! :p

I would also take any other character on earth instead of Firebrand, he's goddamn useless

o/

How can he be that useless since he have unblockable tech and I think he made to top 16 few times?

Doesn't matter I don't like em and it seems like roster space for this game is inexplicably tight, he goes, Arthur goes

tbh the Marvel side while super light on females is OK. The Capcom side is basura

Neoxon

That ban is arbitrary. Marvel has complete control of their properties in media besides movie. Even though there's a special exception with the Maximoff twins.
Yeah, Marvel just chooses not to allow them. That's the main problem here.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Additionally SFxT was actually revealed at SDCC (Not at E3, not at EVO) as well, so it's big for Capcom too. I'm with you on this.
Not that I don't think this could be the case (especially because of MvCI's casual focus), but Marvel/Disney as of recent has shifted a lot of it's attention to D23 for new reveals. I agree there might not be a pre-GF trailer necessarily at EVO (doesn't happen every time), but something substantial has to hit at or around that time and it wouldn't make much sense to drag the E3 build to two simultaneous events.

Also, different times. MvC3 had it's own goddamn panel at SDCC, now what few Capcom panels we do get are relegated to reveals of new costumes and stages for SFV. The company is a fraction of it's former size and we see that all in the marketing too. Plus, MvC3 was much further out from launch and had that many more characters left to reveal so they could focus more at SDCC. Not really the case now.

I imagine a new Story trailer would go over real sweet at the SDCC booths though. If anything, I think we might get the full cast at least announced in July and there be nothing but a character-complete VS build at Gamescom.

EDIT: I don't think we'll see a SFV Season 3 at EVO because they're not even done Season 2, right?

DR2K

Banned

I'd replace Viper with Trish as there's only onc DMC rep and 2 SF reps. I also think Viper is going to get added into SFV so they're keeping SF reps at a minimum.

She Hulk called MVC4 in MVC3, she deserves to be in. Game is sorely lacking grapplers from what I can see thus far as well.

Mugy

Im just still surprised we arent getting:

Daredevil
Vision
Black Bolt
Loki
Scarlet Witch
Asura
Leon Kennedy (Chris again?)
Gene

All at launch. Its just unreal, those were at least the most requested characters for UMVC3 back in the day, im absolutely sure.

JayEH

Daredevil
Vision
Black Bolt
Loki
Scarlet Witch
Asura
Gene

All at launch. Its just unreal, those were at least the most requested characters for UMVC3 back in the day, im absolutely sure.

Seems like perfect candidates for DLC then :p

I'd forgotten all about it but I'm still salty about Rashid also not making it in.

He's a Middle-Eastern character (helps with the diversity), is a SFV rep, is a generally cool character and has a moveset that seems like it could be modified to fit Mahvel very easily.

Neoxon

Daredevil
Vision
Black Bolt
Loki
Scarlet Witch
Asura
Gene

Scarlet Witch has a legit excuse for not being there at launch. The others, not so much.

Top Bottom