• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster |DT2| oh dear...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Capcom is clearly inept on its own when it comes to post launch plans; see SFV. I actually do enjoy playing it but there's no denying the full package is lacking, to be diplomatic.

I'm hoping Mickey Mouse cracks the whip and forces them to actually do shit on time, and TALK about what's coming down the pipe then live up to it. None of this OCTOBER UPDATE shit when it comes at October 31, 11:59:59 PM.

I'm hoping we get 60 at the end of the day just for a nice round number and to top Smash 4 which has a great roster. If they're really going to release characters as fast as they say, could get there in no time and continue reinvigorating. Honestly, once they're at 40 plus I'm more for continual patches at that point than more characters most likely.

Neoxon

Capcom is clearly inept on its own when it comes to post launch plans; see SFV. I actually do enjoy playing it but there's no denying the full package is lacking, to be diplomatic.

I'm hoping Mickey Mouse cracks the whip and forces them to actually do shit on time, and TALK about what's coming down the pipe then live up to it. None of this OCTOBER UPDATE shit when it comes at October 31, 11:59:59 PM.
I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel Entertainment cracks 'dat whip for DLC release dates.

Am I alone in this or does this game seem very lackluster? Among my list of complaints - Arthur is returning? Really? Why?

It seems like this Marvel vs. Capcom entry is stagnated like an annual Madden entry would be.

Anth0ny

Just curious with people's thoughts here.

What is your expectation for final numbers for the roster in few years? Since they said they had a plan for years.

I'm incapable of being positive, so...

I think the game is going to fucking bomb this September, get completely shit on by fans and critics alike, they'll put out DLC but it'll be too little too late.

they'll give up on supporting the game after a year when it no longer makes sense financially to support a dead game.

I think the game is going to fucking bomb this September, get completely shit on by fans and critics alike, they'll put out DLC but it'll be too little too late.

they'll give up on supporting the game after a year when it no longer makes sense financially to support a dead game.

I agree with you. I honestly think the Marvel vs. Capcom series peaked with Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 and it's been a slow and steady decline ever since.

JayEH

I think this is the more likely scenario as well.

Lulubop

This is what I been thinking too. If they gameplay is their than it'll be played but this shit is gonna tank unless by some miracle they somehow tighten the graphics on level 3 and have a bigger launch roster than expected.

It's a big worry for me, I'm actually excited for this game. Love the roster and gameplay so far, but I wanted this to be supported.

Sad thing is the game looks fun to play, and the roster isn't that bad to me, but the level of negative mind share this game appears to be receiving is astounding.

Is it just me, or did Marvel vs. Capcom 3 Ultimate look better than this? What engine are they using - a PS3 one?

Also the background stages so far are ridiculously lame.

I would be shocked if this doesn't happen. They completely dropped the ball here.

Let's get real, a DB fighter beat a Capcom one at E3 for fucks sake.

It's over.

Anth0ny

This is what I been thinking too. If they gameplay is their than it'll be played but this shit is gonna tank unless by some miracle they somehow tighten the graphics on level 3 and have a bigger launch roster than expected.

It's a big worry for me, I'm actually excited for this game. Love the roster and gameplay so far, but I wanted this to be supported.

Me too. I want nothing more than this game to be successful, supported for years and years, problems fixed... but it feels like DmC and Street Fighter V mixed together right now. Negative word of mouth/painful art direction/devs kinda shitting on the fans + clearly rushed cashgrab focusing on DLC.

Giga Man

Am I alone in this or does this game seem very lackluster? Among my list of complaints - Arthur is returning? Really? Why?
Why not? I can't wrap my head around wanting characters to no longer appear in a future fighting game. Fighting games should keep adding more characters and refine old ones.

JayEH

It's ok after this game bombs the Capcom CEO will again assure us that next time they will delay a game for quality.

Dahbomb

Me too. I want nothing more than this game to be successful, supported for years and years, problems fixed... but it feels like DmC and Street Fighter V mixed together right now. Negative word of mouth/painful art direction/devs kinda shitting on the fans + clearly rushed cashgrab focusing on DLC.
Marvel Infinite wished it was as successful as DmC.

DmC sold well and reviewed well at the very least.

And yeah I am with you. If this game bombs then say goodbye to that infinitely large roster they have been talking about. Either that or they try to do an Ultimate Uncanny edition where they start giving away X Men + fan favorite Capcom characters on the cheap. But Capcom would just rather let the game die then try to practice non greedy methods of game distribution.

Why not? I can't wrap my head around wanting characters to no longer appear in a future fighting game. Fighting games should keep adding more characters and refine old ones.

True, but he looks terribly out of place and I can think of many other Capcom characters that haven't been used either ever, or in a while that could have filled his place in the roster - Vergil and Leon, for example.

Now granted, if they do end up giving us a 60+ character roster, it won't matter...but that's going to be a while.

I'll just wait for the inevitable Ultimate Edition version that has all of the characters and see if it's worthy of a purchase then.

Dahbomb

Why would you want Leon when Chris is in the game? What could Leon possibly add to the game?

Just let Leon be an alt skin to Chris and be done with it. There are already dudes and gals who can shoot guns in the game.

Hell Wesker's son can probably add more to the game than Leon.

Jawmuncher

Jake would be cool as shit. In terms of newcomers for RE, he'd definitely have the most to offer. Like father like son.

JayEH

Why would you want Leon when Chris is in the game? What could Leon possibly add to the game?

Just let Leon be an alt skin to Chris and be done with it. There are already dudes and gals who can shoot guns in the game.

Because Leon is cool.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Did they gave up with Street Fighter V? I meant they didn't match up with their sales expectation. I'm the pessimist but I'm not sure how the license works but did they signed up for the license with Marvel for like few years so I can't really see them sitting on the license and let it expires? At same time, they exactly did same thing with Tatsunako license tho. Who knows.

I'm trying to be optimistic about this game.

I'll just say this: I doubt it'll do 2 million.

I'm really upset about that. When I think back to the countless topics we've had about a new Marvel not happening...to actually seeing that it was a reality, I feel like this will all end up being such a huge waste. This game, despite being in SFV's shadow, had a chance to start fresh and do big things. It's obviously still possible, but the amount of backlash this game has received is demoralizing and gives it a huge mountain to climb.

Sometimes it feels like the fans care more about this series than Capcom does. I know that Capcom obviously wants their game to do well, but they've been doing everything in their power to turn people off from getting it. The only thing it has going for it is gameplay, which ain't enough to move 2 million copies.

Everything about this game (sans gameplay) seems so flat. Seeing that E3 trailer and the overall presentation makes me wonder how anyone could've believed that was acceptable. Marvel has been talking about their commitment to quality in their licensed games, but I can't tell.

I would love (and be totally surprised) if this game was supported for 4+ years and got ass tons of DLC characters and the roster ended up 50+

That being said, I am not holding my breath. If this game got 2-3 seasons of DLC putting it somewhere in the 40 character range I would be content.

Worst case is 28 base roster + 6 character S1 + 6 character S2 before they realize the game undersold expectations and they stop supporting it with new characters leaving us with 40.

Best case is 34 base roster + 3 seasons of DLC leaving us around 52 characters. Unlikely IMO, but I guess it could happen.

If this game succeeds it will do so despite itself. I think it's still gonna be fun regardless, but they did everything they could do to make sure it flopped

Edit: basically what Doc said

Anth0ny

Did they gave up with Street Fighter V? I meant they didn't match up with their sales expectation. I'm the pessimist but I'm not sure how the license works but did they signed up for the license with Marvel for like few years so I can't really see them sitting on the license and let it expires? At same time, they exactly did same thing with Tatsunako license tho. Who knows.

I'm trying to be optimistic about this game.

I honestly don't know what the details are with the contract between Capcom and Marvel. I'm hoping that yes, no matter how poorly Marvel Infinite does, Capcom can roll out their 5 year DLC plan or whatever and hopefully rectify a potentially poor launch.

But the vibe I get from Marvel is that they're so protective of their properties that they may not want to associate them with a failed game. I mean what the fuck happened with Marvel 3? That relationship lasted for less than a year. We got Ultimate and that was IT.

Also, as much as it pains me to say it... I'd be willing to bite the "Early access" bullet for Marvel Infinite. As in, paying full price for a clearly rushed game that looks like garbage and is severely lacking in content at launch.... But with that money Capcom should get to work on fixing those problems and releasing what is essentially an "Ultimate" version of the game to tie in with the release of Avengers Infinity War in May 2018. Fix the fucking models. 40+ characters. Capitalize on Marvel fever that will take over the world around that time, THEN go forward with your DLC plans. Because barring a miracle, I don't see how the product they're releasing in September will be able to accomplish that.

Neonep

I'm pretty sure I'll be getting this game but it won't sell well. With SFV I was rooting for it so hard and Capcom fucked up but shit, that was something nobody saw until reviews came. MVC:I is a different story. They didn't learn from the mistake of SFV so that is on them.

The marketing and presentation of this game has been absolute trash since PSX.

With the way the Marvel Games guy put it, this game is meant to be supported for yrs.

But yeah, this game would definitely need worthwhile sells to justify updates.

Right now, more than anything, this game needs an X-Factor. Something that is strong enough for Capcom to make a quick comeback. The reception is atrocious, but I feel like some characters, features, and graphical touch-ups could make a considerable difference.

Will Capcom do that? Only time will tell. Based on what Combo said, they're aware of the feedback they're receiving right now. Either Capcom is cooking up something to counter this, or, they simply don't give a flying fuck right about now. Maybe somewhere in the middle.

I just want this game to do well and not continue being the laughing stock that it currently is. This is fucking Marvel! Marvel!! Marvel!!! This ain't supposed to be happening to our game.

tribal24

Banned
With the way the Marvel Games guy put it, this game is meant to be supported for yrs.

But yeah, this game would definitely need worthwhile sells to justify updates.

Right now, more than anything, this game needs an X-Factor. Something that is strong enough for Capcom to make a quick comeback. The reception is atrocious, but I feel like some characters, features, and graphical touch-ups could make a considerable difference.

Will Capcom do that? Only time will tell. Based on what Combo said, they're aware of the feedback they're receiving right now. Either Capcom is cooking up something to counter this, or, they simply don't give a flying fuck right about now. Maybe somewhere in the middle.

I just want this game to do well and not continue being the laughing stock that it currently is. This is fucking Marvel! Marvel!! Marvel!!! This ain't supposed to be happening to our game.

Agreed it needs something, i'll say it again if Capcom gives out free characters in-between paid DLC i think that will break the ice.

Because Leon S. Kennedy is cooler than Chris Redfield.

Because Leon is cool.

Yessir!

I'm expecting this to bomb as well. The word of mouth is just too bad for this game currently.

Capcom needs to delay this.

They need to just delay this until all the DLC would become the inevitable Ultimate Edition and just release that - so everyone is satisfied with the full roster.

Oh and also, they need to get some more interesting and relevant background stages.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I honestly don't know what the details are with the contract between Capcom and Marvel. I'm hoping that yes, no matter how poorly Marvel Infinite does, Capcom can roll out their 5 year DLC plan or whatever and hopefully rectify a potentially poor launch.

But the vibe I get from Marvel is that they're so protective of their properties that they may not want to associate them with a failed game. I mean what the fuck happened with Marvel 3? That relationship lasted for less than a year. We got Ultimate and that was IT.

I remember someone here mentioned that they negotiated a license agreement with Marvel terribly for MvC3 series. I could be wrong on that matter.

You have to remember the way Marvel and Capcom spoke about their plans for Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite and how they would keep the game update over the years. I have a weird feeling that they are expecting some backlashes for not having X-Men and expect some people to pick up the games when their favorite characters get in the game.

I know the reception for this game is getting pretty bad and getting shitload of negativity. I do agree with some people's opinions on why they dropped their ball with the game but I don't think we should count it out until we see the product once they announce everything for this game (before the release date)

I meant they haven't spoke anything about single players contents and multiplayer contents yet so I wonder if they have anything to share for those features. We aren't even sure Ryce's leak is complete or not, etc.

It's okay to voice the opinions if we aren't happy with the results since I always think making the noise would help the fans to projecting their feelings toward to the company, and it's completely up to the companies to listen to them. I know it's often to not in case. Hopefully they would come up something to demonstrate that they are listening.

Also, as much as it pains me to say it... I'd be willing to bite the "Early access" bullet for Marvel Infinite. As in, paying full price for a clearly rushed game that looks like garbage and is severely lacking in content at launch....

Again you are jumping into conclusion since they haven't officially announce any single player contents, other than story mode. Just wait for their official announcement before you decide to buy or not.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
So I read the new OP and sounds like 34 character roster is a possibility. 6 DLC characters bringing it up to 40 characters by the end of the year sounds like a good number.

C.Viper got cut so Captain Commando for the unknown Capcom character? Wishful thinking.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I know I'm joking because the Capcom CEO said after SFV bombed that will delay games if they needed to and here we are.

I remember that now. I guess they might not learn their lessons after all, unless they are on strict schedule to follow with.

I know I'm joking because the Capcom CEO said after SFV bombed that will delay games if they needed to and here we are.

This game needs a delay to the point where they can finish every character that would end up being DLC just to flesh out the roster and stages. Also the graphics need tweaking to meet the demand of what is considered a modern next-gen game and not something that looks like a PS3 or Xbox One title.

I'm actually playing Marvel vs. Capcom 3 Ultimate on PS3 as I type this and honestly, it looks much more impressive than what I've seen of Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite.

The roster is better in MVC3U also - I just don't know what else to say.

Lol nothing - it's a fact.

mXyupD1.gif

There is no denying that Leon is depicted much more cooler and over the top than Chris.. I mean just check out RE Vendetta.

Chris does some cool stuff on his own but Leon just ups the ante and goes cuuuuraazzy.

Its like Dante himself decided to fight against zombies. Not to mention the charisma, cheese, wit and attitude of Leon is light years higher than Chris.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I just had a though so I'm going to drop it here and see what people think about it.

What if Winter Solider is a NPC, just like Death?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom