• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite |OT| Marvel vs. Capcom: 4 Female Characters

Neoxon

Marvel doesn't foot the bill. Capcom pays them a licensing fee and Marvel probably adds some guidelines along with it.
Marvel also likely gets a cut of all profits, which could make things problematic in terms of long-term DLC profits. At least with SFV, Capcom gets 100% of the cash, making it easier to profit off of DLC.

SSReborn

Question with regard to tagging is it possible to control where your teammate tags in to or at least stop them from coming all the way to where your current character is on the screen?

I'm trying to perfect a combo and I am able to adjust the second characters location without it dropping after the tag but just wanted to know if there was a simpler way.

Skilletor

I mean if you take away the odd faces, the graphics, and the roster. There wouldn't have even been any fuel for the fire. The switch from 3v3 to 2v2 woudln't affect purchases as much as those other things. Both this and SFV just needed to be stronger out of the gate. At this point it's the main factor Capcom is missing with finding major success if you ask me.

Nah, people were shitting on the game just because it was 2v2, and continued to shit on it no matter how much we saw.

Tons of people have been hating on the game because it wasn't like MvC2 or 3. This is without the roster or the graphics.

There are valid criticisms about the game but its insane if you aren't aware of the blatant nonstop shitting and trolling this game receives. Like it goes way past the point of just being valid criticisms.

Jawmuncher

Nah, people were shitting on the game just because it was 2v2, and continued to shit on it no matter how much we saw.

Tons of people have been hating on the game because it wasn't like MvC2 or 3. This is without the roster or the graphics.

I mean yeah that's true. But I think with the more casual side of things it wouldn't have been much of a factor. That large boost in sales out the gate would have been more from people interested in the story, graphics, characters. Than it needing to play like MVC3. Though I will say changing the gameplay definitely didn't help matters. Though they at least didn't call it MVC4. That I think would've played a bigger factor in terms of gameplay criticism.

Marvel also likely gets a cut of all profits, which could make things problematic in terms of long-term DLC profits. At least with SFV, Capcom gets 100% of the cash, making it easier to profit off of DLC.

I don't think they make a cut. I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure the licensing fee is what they get, just like they don't make money from Sony's of Fox's movies but still receive a licensing fee from them.

Dueck

Banned
Marvel doesn't foot the bill. Capcom pays them a licensing fee and Marvel probably adds some guidelines along with it.
Yeah, this is a straight-up licensing deal. This series always has been (which is why these kinds of games eventually get pulled from digital stores).

I don't know what kind of deal they inked, but it's probably a flat fee with royalties on top, meaning that Capcom could stand to lose a ton of money between all of the usual development/publishing costs on top of whatever Disney is asking for. It's not likely to ruin them, but expect every fighting game we get for the next 5+ years to be a port, upgrade, or collection.

What's unfortunate is that much of what makes Infinite unpopular is probably Disney's fault. Capcom had to abide by roster demands aimed at propping up the stupid MCU and may have invested a lot in licensing to the point they needed a quicker return on their investment.

Sigmaah

I think we're gonna deff get a season 2. Ppl said sf5 bombed etc and that game still getting dlc.

Yes it is street fighter but if we're going off of not meeting sale predictions and shit. I think mvci is safe (for now).

Neoxon

I think we're gonna deff get a season 2. Ppl said sf5 bombed etc and that game still getting dlc.

Yes it is street fighter but if we're going off of not meeting sale predictions and shit. I think mvci is safe (for now).
The concern now is to the degree of which MvCI is underperforming. Even with SFV, it at least cleared a million. Capcom expected 2 million in 6 months for this game, & we don't even know how much they expected for Month 1.

Durden77

Well we haven't seen US #s yet, if we ever will. The US will undoubtedly be it's strongest territory.

I think it will take a while to get going, but I still have faith this game will be successful enough over time. The game itself is too good. Think people may be overreacting a bit, but that's the story of this game.

In the UK Sept is dominated by FIFA. After that it's just a waiting game for games to be reduced before Christmas. I want the new WWE and Assassin's Creed games but I know Game will discount them before X-mas. Destiny 2 is already £31 at the moment, there's no rush to get anything especially with upcoming DLC.

Jawmuncher

MVC:I can still manage a million if it's shipped being counted.
Pretty sure some of SFV's sales in that 1 million were just that at first.

Chavelo

mshckd.gif

Actually pretty sad hearing about how sales are turning out. Not shocked but still sad. I wonder what Capcom could do to turn this ship around. I actually pray for a rerelease with several changes and actual advertising budget

Is Marvel's interference bothering you? Or is it Capcom's plans forward?

Both, honestly. I want to support the series, but after seeing all of Capcom's earlier work on Dreamcast/Saturn, and seeing how Marvel is/was? pushing the XMen away. It makes it tough to be passionate about Marvel games as a 1990's XMen fan.

I'll step aside though and just watch how this plays out, it's too soon to see where this will end up, game is still in its infancy.

『Inaba Resident』;249953127 said:
There are valid criticisms about the game but its insane if you aren't aware of the blatant nonstop shitting and trolling this game receives. Like it goes way past the point of just being valid criticisms.

There's an argument to be made that internet trolling of the game had an impact.

But when the XB1 version sells a few hundred copies in the UK, the problem is less the memes and trolling and just straight up incompetence from Capcom.

A game not even in the top 40 in the week it releases on a platform basically means people didn't even know the game came out.

Think about that for a second. A few hundred copies of Marvel on XB1 in the entirety of the UK. That's not just the result of memes and trolling. And the PS4 version didn't far that hot to begin with. A couple thousand copies at best.

I-hate-u

"Some guidelines"?

Capcom is pandering HARD to Marvel, almost as if they have no faith in their own IP to push the brand. There's no way Marvel is not playing a controlling role on this one.

What's more hilarious is the random "Fuck Disney and the MCU" this has caused. Y'all ain't boycotting shit. lol
Both, honestly. I want to support the series, but after seeing all of Capcom's earlier work on Dreamcast/Saturn, and seeing how Marvel is/was? pushing the XMen away. It makes it tough to be passionate about Marvel games as a 1990's XMen fan.

I'll step aside though and just watch how this plays out, it's too soon to see where this will end up, game is still in its infancy.
Do you watch MCU movies, despite there being no X-Men? This is Marvel 2017. The company has changed.

"Some guidelines"?

Capcom is pandering HARD to Marvel, almost as if they have no faith in their own IP to push the brand. There's no way Marvel is not playing a controlling role on this one.

This is very frighting thing to read and contemplate after what happened to Scale Bound.

There's an argument to be made that internet trolling of the game had an impact.

But when the XB1 version sells a few hundred copies in the UK, the problem is less the memes and trolling and just straight up incompetence from Capcom.

A game not even in the top 40 in the week it releases on a platform basically means people didn't even know the game came out.

Think about that for a second. A few hundred copies of Marvel on XB1 in the entirety of the UK. That's not just the result of memes and trolling. And the PS4 version didn't far that hot to begin with. A couple thousand copies at best.

I never said memes and trolling were solely responsible.

What else is there to say on the cluster fuck that was this games pr? Self inflicted wound, one hundred percent.

Game is great. I'm enjoying it a lot. But it's not surprising, file this under no shit news. I can do a break down but that would be more effort than they put into presentation and marketing beforehand.

It'll survive because of the sunk cost. I'm thinking two seasons. Maybe a repackage. Maybe actually do games as a service and take it waaaay down following the model of other marvel games. This shit ain't gonna work like injustice, that ship has sailed.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
『Inaba Resident』;249953127 said:
Basically, and I think going in on stuff like menus is an example of that. People turned what is a pretty insignificant point into this emblematic thing about the whole presentation of the game, just streeeeeetching it to having meaning through this deep analysis of every crevasse of the game to find other things to be upset about. It's a fucking menu and most games have similarly or equally shitty menus, great games otherwise have shitty menus. It's such an incredibly dumb and meaningless point that's now another layer of dissatisfaction because we need to make sense of it all.

And then this sentiment ripples through the community.

And then this ripples through the reviews (the IGN video review sounds like it was written by someone on /b/) and sales.

Again, like you said, there are legitimate complaints about this game and a hell of a lot about them that can give anyone good reason to skip the game or feel a type of way towards Capcom. But that extra stupid shit has been given so much disproportionate meaning when people have open license to demonstrate how unsatisfied they are.

Sesha

Even with 2v2 and no X-Men/F4, Capcom didn't do anything to endear people to the game. The game had obvious problems apparent in almost everything we saw of it, and the marketing and PR gave off the vibes that Capcom didn't care and neither should we.

ZeroCDR

The game could still do pretty well over the holidays, and hopefully see a nice boost if the X-Men DLC is a thing. I suggest they announce that sooner rather than later, that it's at least happening. No matter what I think we're at least getting Season 2.

UMvC3 managed to pick up the slack despite being sent out to die way back when, I don't see why Infinite won't either especially if it continues to perform well in tournaments (and receive actual patches and content updates!). I'm really not worried about that after SCR.

Jawmuncher

1.4 million, actually.

Regardless sold through isn't the be all end all if they managed to ship decently. Though retailers might've went "SFV gave us a lot of excess stock we're not gonna order much of MVC". DR4 hasn't even managed 1 million shipped yet so there's precedence for it.

Neoxon

The game could still do pretty well over the holidays, and hopefully see a nice boost if the X-Men DLC is a thing. I suggest they announce that sooner rather than later, that it's at least happening. No matter what I think we're at least getting Season 2.

UMvC3 managed to pick up the slack despite being sent out to die way back when, I don't see why Infinite won't either especially if it continues to perform well in tournaments (and receive actual patches and content updates!). I'm really not worried about that after SCR.
UMvC3 had legs, yes. And sales similar to UMvC3 is entirely possible for MvCI. But as of right now, the problem is that there's just far too much negativity attached to the game that neither Marvel or Capcom bothered to combat.

Basically, and I think going in on stuff like menus is an example of that. People turned what is a pretty insignificant point into this emblematic thing about the whole presentation of the game, just streeeeeetching it to having meaning through this deep analysis of every crevasse of the game to find other things to be upset about. It's a fucking menu and most games have similarly or equally shitty menus, great games otherwise have shitty menus. It's such an incredibly dumb and menaingless point that's now another layer of dissatisfaction because we need to make sense of it all.

And then this ripples through the reviews (the IGN video review sounds like it was written by someone on /b/) and sales.

Again, like you said, there are legitimate complaints about this game and a hell of a lot about them that can give anyone good reason to skip the game or feel a type of way towards Capcom. But that extra stupid shit has been given so much disproportionate meaning when people have open license to demonstrate how unsatisfied they are.

The Capcom hate machine continues to churn out bullshit on the internet. It's really been a problem since sf5 but even before that.

A bunch of trolls with nothing better to do than condition the casual players into thinking Capcom has failed again and produced a shitty product nobody likes.

Some of these people are still salty about old dlc issues from 2007 or something. Imagine being that unproductive and that idle that you can hold a grudge that long.

I-hate-u

I am sorry, but please don't blame anyone but Capcom for this. It's up to them to impress the fans and prove to them the can provide a product worth the $60 entry price.

The trolling is not unwarranted and had they showcased a competent looking product like MvC3, there would be no hate. Case in point, SFV had a positive pre-release hype because it's visuals and rosters were solid. It went downhill only after releases, but that's beside the point.

ZeroCDR

UMvC3 had legs, yes. And sales similar to UMvC3 is entirely possible for MvCI. But as of right now, the problem is that there's just far too much negativity attached to the game that neither Marvel or Capcom bothered to combat.

UMvC3 definitely had its share of negativity and absolutely no post launch support, it was a slap in the face of every owner of vanilla MvC3. The scene carried the game, I'll remain optimistic about MvC:I until the actual scene reflects that negativity.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Of course they'd bail out. But it'd have to be such a significant amount for that to happen. Like, more than just a bad launch, but no legs, horrible esports turnout and deft lack of partnerships to rake in any cash. And that would also mean they'd have to exhaust their options as well.

Do you think they are going to try to attempt their last chance with a Hail Mary throw? Like Uncanny Marvel Vs. Capcom Infinite with certain fan favorite characters that people have been asking for like X-Men, Wesker, Vergil, etc, etc. Or would they completely give up without trying?

Jawmuncher

The Capcom hate machine continues to churn out bullshit on the internet. It's really been a problem since sf5 but even before that.

A bunch of trolls with nothing better to do than condition the casual players into thinking Capcom has failed again and produced a shitty product nobody likes.

Some of these people are still salty about old dlc issues from 2007 or something. Imagine being that unproductive and that idle that you can hold a grudge that long.

I still say a good chunk of such haters is people expecting more from capcom
All the games that had the biggest amount of vitriol against them (SFV, MVC:I, DR4) do/did have problems. You don't see much like that with RE7 outside fans who aren't keen on the style. MH:W is positive currently after the 4chan stuff was debunked.

Neoxon

I am sorry, but please don't blame anyone but Capcom for this. It's up to them to impress the fans and prove to them the can provide a product worth the $60 entry price.

The trolling is not unwarranted and had they showcased a competent looking product like MvC3, there would be no hate. Case in point, SFV had a positive pre-release hype because it's visuals and rosters were solid.
We mainly blame Marvel for their side of the roster, the themes being changed, & maybe the art style (in comparison to the other recent Marvel games, Lego aside). The blame is on Capcom for everything else, including the execution of said art style (not so much the reason for the change)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
People being stuck in like 2007 about the hows and whys for DLC is probably my biggest gripe with discussion about games online. It's debilitating, really.

I still say a good chunk of such haters is people expecting more from capcom
All the games that had the biggest amount of vitriol against them (SFV, MVC:I, DR4) do/did have problems. You don't see much like that with RE7 outside fans who aren't keen on the style. MH:W is positive currently after the 4chan stuff was debunked.
Didn't RE7 underperform still?

Lutherian

I was happy to see Firebrand in MvC. But damn, why from Gargoyle's Quest and why with this terrible voice ? Demon's Crest wasn't good enough ?

At least his moveset seems cool (and close to Ghouls'n Ghost / Ghosts'n Goblins (& Knuckles).

I-hate-u

We mainly blame Marvel for their side of the roster, the themes being changed, & maybe the art style (in comparison to the other recent Marvel games, Lego aside). The blame is on Capcom for everything else, including the execution of said art style (not so much the reason for the change)

I meant it more for the people blaming the trolling from the fans.

jett

D-Member
Basically, and I think going in on stuff like menus is an example of that. People turned what is a pretty insignificant point into this emblematic thing about the whole presentation of the game, just streeeeeetching it to having meaning through this deep analysis of every crevasse of the game to find other things to be upset about. It's a fucking menu and most games have similarly or equally shitty menus, great games otherwise have shitty menus. It's such an incredibly dumb and meaningless point that's now another layer of dissatisfaction because we need to make sense of it all.

Agreed with all of this.

DrArchon

The trolling is not unwarranted and had they showcased a competent looking product like MvC3, there would be no hate. Case in point, SFV had a positive pre-release hype because it's visuals and rosters were solid. It went downhill only after releases, but that's beside the point.

Yeah, and I don't see a ton of trolling for Monster Hunter World now that people know that Capcom isn't "dumbing down" the game for western audiences.

If Capcom put out a product that looked great all up through pre-release and people were stilling complaining about it, that'd be one thing, but MvCI had TONS of problems during pre-release, from the visuals to that awful E3 demo to their asinine comments about functions and people not remembering the X-Men.

What's more hilarious is the random "Fuck Disney and the MCU" this has caused. Y'all ain't boycotting shit. lol

Do you watch MCU movies, despite there being no X-Men? This is Marvel 2017. The company has changed.

I love most of the MCU movies! Loved Deadpool(technically Fox), saw Guardians 2, not a huge fan 2 TBH.

Well, technically we did get a recent Xmen movie; Logan which I adore a lot. It's the best Wolverine film we will ever get. Though, that is technically Fox too.

Top Bottom