• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite |OT| Marvel vs. Capcom: 4 Female Characters

Jawmuncher

People being stuck in like 2007 about the hows and whys for DLC is probably my biggest gripe with discussion about games online. It's debilitating, really.

Didn't RE7 underperform still?

it did. But I was talking more about the internet hate brigade. RE7 really didn't have one. At least to not as such an extent as the games listed earlier.

That's not true man, DMC4SE over performed!

DMC4 and USF2.
Apparently the only games that overperform for them are those they don't even bother to put forecasts for and are budget titles. it's why they've been so port heavy lately as well with RE and other titles.

ZeroCDR

DMC4 and USF2.
Apparently the only games that overperform for them are those they don't even bother to put forecasts for and are budget titles. it's why they've been so port heavy lately as well with RE and other titles.

The one time I want Capcom to lazy-port RE4 yet again and they pick Revelations for Switch. Hopefully it will be soon enough lol.

Do you think they are going to try to attempt their last chance with a Hail Mary throw? Like Uncanny Marvel Vs. Capcom Infinite with certain fan favorite characters that people have been asking for like X-Men, Wesker, Vergil, etc, etc. Or would they completely give up without trying?

The fan favorites would come before that. It's better to capitalize on that sooner rather than later, especially while the esports wave, if they happen to do so, is hot.

I-hate-u

People being stuck in like 2007 about the hows and whys for DLC is probably my biggest gripe with discussion about games online. It's debilitating, really.

Complaining about DLC is absolutely a valid point when the base roster is so anemic and pathetic, and when the upcoming paid characters are much more enticing than what's shipped with the game.

Also talking about the DLC so soon before the game is even out never be acceptable in my eyes. That just sends bad vibes.

Dahbomb

How's the tier list so far? or still too soon?
I posted mine a while back:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=249926568&postcount=5902

Most pros seem to think that Dante, Captain Marvel, Dormammu, Ultron and Nova are ahead of the pack and extremely strong/top tier. Dante + Dormammu + Soul seems to be the theoretical best team in the game right now.

Dante, Captain Marvel and Dorm in particular have abusable mechanics in the game that put them on top.

Rest of the cast is mostly fine, doesn't get too bad until you get to the bottom 5.

But the game still needs a bug patch asap.

Negaduck

Loving firebrand so much in this game. Here is a little firebrand sketch I did during some cool down after labbing it up.

RuMrAhD.jpg

Jawmuncher

Complaining about DLC is absolutely a valid point when the base roster is so anemic and pathetic, and when the upcoming paid characters are much more enticing than what's shipped with the game.

Also talking about the DLC so soon before the game is even out never be acceptable in my eyes. That just sends bad vibes.

Yeah i think that's the main issue with the DLC. The game needed more newcomers on the base. Yet here they are all a part of the character pass. Black Panther, MonHun, Sigma, and Black Widow should've been on the base roster.

Loving firebrand so much in this game. Here is a little firebrand sketch I did during some cool down after labbing it up.

Damn that's nice

Yo that FB sketch is OD.

Pretty much every fighting game company has done so. Injustice 2 did it, Tekken did it, SFV did it, DBFZ will probably do it, Gundam Versus did it, and so on. Just the nature of video games in general these days.

As Jaw said, some of those characters should have been in the base roster due to how lackluster the current one is, although the general nature of DLC-Before-Launch is still a PR nightmare.

I posted mine a while back:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=249926568&postcount=5902

Most pros seem to think that Dante, Captain Marvel, Dormammu, Ultron and Nova are ahead of the pack and extremely strong/top tier. Dante + Dormammu + Soul seems to be the theoretical best team in the game right now.

Dante, Captain Marvel and Dorm in particular have abusable mechanics in the game that put them on top.

Rest of the cast is mostly fine, doesn't get too bad until you get to the bottom 5.

But the game still needs a bug patch asap.

Curious why you would put iron Man so high?

Basically, and I think going in on stuff like menus is an example of that. People turned what is a pretty insignificant point into this emblematic thing about the whole presentation of the game, just streeeeeetching it to having meaning through this deep analysis of every crevasse of the game to find other things to be upset about. It's a fucking menu and most games have similarly or equally shitty menus, great games otherwise have shitty menus. It's such an incredibly dumb and meaningless point that's now another layer of dissatisfaction because we need to make sense of it all.

And then this sentiment ripples through the community.

And then this ripples through the reviews (the IGN video review sounds like it was written by someone on /b/) and sales.

Again, like you said, there are legitimate complaints about this game and a hell of a lot about them that can give anyone good reason to skip the game or feel a type of way towards Capcom. But that extra stupid shit has been given so much disproportionate meaning when people have open license to demonstrate how unsatisfied they are.

Definitely. Someone in the other thread said that the auto-combo function turned them and others off of the game. Like WTF.

There are legitimate things to complain about with this game (nothing truly significant IMO) but it's popular to hate on it for any reason you can come up with it seems.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Yo that FB sketch is OD.

Pretty much every fighting game company has done so. Injustice 2 did it, Tekken did it, SFV did it, DBFZ will probably do it, Gundam Versus did it, and so on. Just the nature of video games in general these days.

As Jaw said, some of those characters should have been in the base roster due to how lackluster the current one is, although the general nature of DLC-Before-Launch is still a PR nightmare.
you're missing a pivotal clause:
when the base roster is so anemic
does this really compare favorably with T7 when people seemed content/pleased with that game's roster? no mutants is a huge blemish on a marvel sequel.

/edit second para added after quote

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
wrecked by a Dante/Rocket, Rocket's too tiny for GR's chains ;_;

I mean not wrecked, its not like I was perfected or anything, but still lost 2-0 and never felt like the other guy was too worried :/

I tried a little Rocket in training, how are people putting the electric mine in combos, I dont get it.

I-hate-u

Sick DB art duck

Yo that FB sketch is OD.

It's still not acceptable but at least those other games make up for it in other ways.

Dahbomb

Curious why you would put iron Man so high?
Iron Man still has the same tier of mobility as Nova and Ultron, he is just trading longer limbs for beefier ones (so harder for him to cross up). Because of the lower height restriction on dashes, Iron Man is also capable of dirty mix up and pressure. His damage is also above average in this game right now, Proton Cannon seems to do quite a bit more damage than say Ultron's beam super.

Nova and Ultron are just a bit better than him hence why they are probably S tier and Iron Man is just below them in A tier. There were a couple of tournaments that most people didn't see that happened over the weekend where two Iron Mans were in grand finals (alongside a Spider Man). So even in this early stage of the game, there are some people who are picking up IM.

But I still expect very few IMs in general mostly because he is easily replaceable with Ultron.

The lack of complaining about tekken 7's overpriced and underdelivered season pass speaks volumes.

I'm just fucking exhausted by reading trolls that would only buy the game if it was $10 and even then wouldn't put in the time to learn or appreciate it.

I'm just going to support the game I like and let that do it's job. Fuck all this negativity.

BadWolf

Definitely. Someone in the other thread said that the auto-combo function turned them and others off of the game. Like WTF.

There are legitimate things to complain about with this game (nothing truly significant IMO) but it's popular to hate on it for any reason you can come up with it seems.

Nah, plenty of people complained about KOFXIV including auto-combos as well.

The mechanic just rubs some people the wrong way it seems.

FluxWaveZ

Nah, plenty of people complained about KOFXIV including auto-combos as well.

The mechanic just rubs some people the wrong way it seems.

People complained about it in Persona 4 Arena prior to release, but shortly after no one cared about it. It's a cool mechanic.

Dahbomb

People complaining about auto combos in FGs on the Internet are macho "git gud" type folks who aren't actually good and would get stuffed in these FGs if they actually tried them. If they knew any better then they wouldn't be talking like that.

Either that or they are the types who want to have their hands held but don't want to actually have a giant sign on their head that their hands are being held because it hurts their little egos. Hence why they won't try to play auto combos online but get salty when they lose to other auto combo players because they think they are winning because their hands are being held. It's scrub mentality at its finest. Reminds me of the dudes who got wrecked in DMC3 when it first came out but also refused to lower the game to easy mode when given the option because it hurt their ego.

Spman2099

People complained about it in Persona 4 Arena prior to release, but shortly after no one cared about it. It's a cool mechanic.

I can remember people complaining about how the game "was nothing but auto combos" well after release. Which is stupid, as those auto-combos were SUPER unoptimized. I think they are fine, though allowing people to turn them off in the options menu is clearly the right move. People do have a super strong hate-on for them.

vg260

but...why? I honestly don't get it so if someone could explain it to me that would be appreciated.

People don't like losing, especially if in their mind the player is of lower skill. They feel they're somehow being cheated if a "lesser" player is given help to compete.

Dahbomb

http://www.capcom-unity.com/strumsl...-stage-and-music-packs-available-september-26

Few members and I had a conversation about old themes from MVC would be available to MVCI via DLC like few weeks ago. And they just announced that SFV is going to get music packs tomorrow so it's not out of question that we might get old theme music pack for MVCI.

I will pay real money to replace Dante's theme with the OG Devils Never Cry song. That's how bad it is in the actual game.

I guess that was their plan all along LMAO!

I will pay real money to replace Dante's theme with the OG Devils Never Cry song. That's how bad it is in the actual game.

I guess that was their plan all along LMAO!
I like Strider's remix, but man Dante's was a complete misfire. I cannot almost play him because his theme is so bad.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Figures that the first fighting game I truly get into bombs.

Sigh. I guess reaching rank 10 will never happen.

I dont think ill ever get past rank 13 :D

but then again I didnt think that before either so lol

Nyoro SF

I'm not surprised at all by the performance. Compare Marvel 3's marketing to this and it's not just night and day, it's like different ends of the universe. Capcom USA either has a gag order on them or something because we basically had no word at all from them after the "functions" meme. Capcom Japan has gotten really overzealous as of late and it's hampering the company.

Combine that with my friends messaging me on Steam that they're interested but they saw the MH trailer and realized that Capcom is going for the DLC fleecing route and that they'd rather wait for big discounts. From messaging to presentation they really messed up on both sides of the pond.

(Also Tekken 7 didn't get a free pass with the season pass, it has a hugely negative reaction on Steam reviews and on the forums).

(Also autocombos have been in many games without issue and are always methods of helping new players get used to the pace of fighting games while not allowing them to be the 100% optimal way of getting damage and setups)

Negaduck

Thanks everyone, really appreciate the kind words!

Yeah I'm so hooked on this game. I'm trying to find as much stuff as I can, just labbing it up. Got some really nice shit with firebrand. Can't wait to keep leveling him up.

FSLink

Banned
People complaining about auto combos in FGs on the Internet are macho "git gud" type folks who aren't actually good and would get stuffed in these FGs if they actually tried them. If they knew any better then they wouldn't be talking like that.

Either that or they are the types who want to have their hands held but don't want to actually have a giant sign on their head that their hands are being held because it hurts their little egos. Hence why they won't try to play auto combos online but get salty when they lose to other auto combo players because they think they are winning because their hands are being held. It's scrub mentality at its finest. Reminds me of the dudes who got wrecked in DMC3 when it first came out but also refused o lower the game to easy mode when given the option because it hurt their ego.

Yup. Scrub mentality at its finest.

Also I'm gonna post my own week 1 tier list later on today.

Coda

I hope this doesn't die before we get Asura or Gene... the game is fun!

So many fans have been shouting at the rooftops for these two and Capcom should appease the action fan peeps in the community. I feel like Capcom would make silly reasons for not having both in like Gene is too similar to Dante, and Asura is like Ultron lol.

Either way Gene would easily be my main if he is announced.

On another note: Finally hit rank 12 online. Gonna bow out for now until I level my game up but it seems like from rank 12 down is all killers. Also fuck auto combo sometimes, I know once I level my game up it won't matter but it shouldn't be allowed in ranked match.

Y'all need to stop worrying about initial sales. Game is high octane good shit at tournies and Capcom will recoup costs through dlc easy. I think people underestimate just how much revenue a slow drip of premium costumes can get you. They aren't going to drop the game after going through all the trouble of securing a marvel licence. Don't let the trolls get to you, they'll move onto another game to bash in a week or two.

(Also Tekken 7 didn't get a free pass with the season pass, it has a hugely negative reaction on Steam reviews and on the forums).

Not huge enough to destroy the game's image and reputation. It also helps that T7 continues to have great PR thanks to Harada winning hearts and minds.

FluxWaveZ

I can remember people complaining about how the game "was nothing but auto combos" well after release. Which is stupid, as those auto-combos were SUPER unoptimized. I think they are fine, though allowing people to turn them off in the options menu is clearly the right move. People do have a super strong hate-on for them.

True, there was still the typical crowd who complained about them. As the others, though, the arguments were pretty dumb.

You couldnt turn it off in that game though right?

Indeed, auto-combos were a core mechanic. They built more meter than other combo routes and had unique attacks integrated into them. But they were absolutely fine because, as said above, they were very unoptimized combos.

None of this is surprising. It sucks, but the writing was on the wall. All I can do is hope the game continues to be supported beyond 2017. Disappointed with Capcom and Marvel. Game is great. The problem is the game has been stripped (Art, OST, X-Men, cool Capcom characters, etc) of the things that made people flock to it in thr first place.

Combine that with the hate-train and this disaster was expected. After months of silence, they announced Sigma....as DLC in the first story trailer. Everything continued to go downhill from there.

Dunno what the plan is, but I hope they have something if it's as bad as it looks.

vg260

Y'all need to stop worrying about initial sales. Game is high octane good shit at tournies and Capcom will recoup costs through dlc easy. I think people underestimate just how much revenue a slow drip of premium costumes can get you. They aren't going to drop the game after going through all the trouble of securing a marvel licence. Don't let the trolls get to you, they'll move onto another game to bash in a week or two.

You don't think Capcom counted on both 2 million sales AND the slow drip of premium costumes?

Failing to come close to their sales expectations is a huge hit no matter what. They may still stick with the game as planned, but there's no way to sugar coat the base game flopping. It has significant implications.

Negaduck

I hope they don't patch the game for at least 3 to 6 months. I want to be able to see players adapt and learn and just get better at dealing with cheap stuff (dante/dorm or just thorns).

Adaptation is the best part of fighting games. I'd hate for Capcom to release a patch early to nerf things. Would hate to get another Sentinel situation with Capcom nerfing things unnecessarily. Imo.

I don't like talking tiers or balancing for at least 6m to a year in a game's life.

Just let the game live and evolve. That's what I would love.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Autocombos are pretty insulting to even people at the lowest skill levels, I feel. Even as a kid I'd be like, there's gotta be more to this, why am I wasting my time on this shit that does the same thin gover and over again.

MvC3s basic mode had it right. It doesn't need to be dumbed down any further. I'm not even sure if we need noob modes so much as we need more ways to play.

Top Bottom