• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite |OT| Marvel vs. Capcom: 4 Female Characters

Yeah, that's what I mean..maybe we're saying the same thing then.

Yeah, there's no real way to win in terms of presenting DLC. Companies need to get it out soon after the game launch when interest is highest.

I generally get how you have to do it, but when the base game feels lacking like it does in this case, I just wish they would have reallocated to make the base game more attractive, because that makes a big difference in perception.

The package coming out as it did really hurt future endeavors with this game. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. I still think the game is salvage and they still have ways to fix this mess, but it's going to take some work.

jett

D-Member
Well, it worked with DOA5 which also had pretty horrible sales and transitioned to an F2P model which allowed it to recover and start making a profit. I don't see how that wouldn't be the case with Marvel which has major IPs attached to it (but fewer waifus to sell bikinis which probably balances it out)

DOA greatly appeals to a really specific sub-section of gamers i.e. irredeemable creeps that will actually pay money for all sorts of dumb sexy outfits. I don't see how Marvel appeals to this. Or anyone.

PSqueak

Banned
That, and vibranium daggers, Wakandan technology like his teleportation device, cloaking, hard light shield and more, and necromancy. He's also got some shock tech built into his gauntlets that can stun and daze an opponent.

We got enough teleport characters already. Tho all the other stuff sounds nice.

I doubt he won't have some sort of vibranium projectile, that shit made it even to disney infinity!

Jawmuncher

They're going to keep the game full price until after the holidays. There's literally no financial reason for them to lower the price before then.

I'll expect 50% discounts all over the place after that though.

I'll be VERY surprised if they don't have some sort of Black Friday price slash.

Dahbomb

The sad thing is that they will still make good bank for this. Every tournament HAS to run MVCI with the season pass. This is why they keep getting away with it.

I doubt he won't have some sort of vibranium projectile, that shit made it even to disney infinity!

It's basically a part of Black Panther in all media. In Future Fight he has both vibranium daggers and spear. I'm sure he's at least got something like it.

JeTmAn81

Standard Edition PS4 - $45 incl. tax
Character Pass - $7 + tax

Thanks to Amazon discounts (preorder discount, Amazon music free $10 deal x 2, etc.) I'm sitting at $52 for the equivalent to the Deluxe package so I'm one of probably about five people satisfied with the value of this game so far. Maybe I'll even buy that premium Hulk costume I missed out on with the Deluxe.

patchday

They gave my boi X5 as an alt.

Real tears my niggas cause I love that costume for sigma.

I will be cracking out with him and BP because of that BP alt. He looks crazy.

Deff taking either a half day or full day off on the 17th that's for sure.

Wish I could but I live to gave my job 3 weeks notice. Maybe I'll take it off anyways :)

Anyone defending the $8 price point should rightfully be labeled as a shill.

Capcom really deserves this flop tbh. The greed is overwhelming.

I'm kind of a shill that sympathesizes with companies all the time but even I am aghast at $8 so you know that's bad

$8 is nuts per character. I'm happy I got the discounted Deluxe Edition when I did but with pricing like that it definitely won't be bringing in any new players looking to play the DLC.

Yep thank goodness. Its the only way I know of to get discounts on DLC (besides wait for Ultimate in a few months)

But yeah they really want this game to fail hard or just using it to support Monster Hunter World development

Sesha

You joke but as somebody who wants to live to see another Vampire game, that shit hurts.

Presenting Darkstalkers 4, a townbuilding mobile/browser RPG with art and designs that look nothing like the original aesthetic. Also, here's another original mobile RPG with designs by Bengus. Please be excited.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
its funny that the monkey's paw continues to haunt this game, as here we are with a trailer for 2 more characters and a release date for 3, but instead we are talking about prices lol.

Dont get me wrong, im not saying we shouldnt, and its most deffo their faul, its just funny / sad how fucked this game continues to be.

Oh btw Dahbomb, check out the Heroes thread :3

DOA greatly appeals to a really specific sub-section of gamers i.e. irredeemable creeps that will actually pay money for all sorts of dumb sexy outfits. I don't see how Marvel appeals to this. Or anyone.

Marvel's got a very popular IP. People will check out a game just because it has characters they recognize if the barrier to entry is low (or free). Worked for me with Marvel Heroes and I ended up dropping like 10 bucks on that even though I really didn't care to play much of another diablo clone. Check out how many costumes Iron Man has in that game and tell me they don't make good money on that.

The sad thing is that they will still make good bank for this. Every tournament HAS to run MVCI with the season pass. This is why they keep getting away with it.
I highly doubt the few hundred or so tournaments that spend $30 a year to run the game are really doing much financial heavy lifting.

Presenting Darkstalkers 4, a townbuilding mobile/browser RPG with art and designs that look nothing like the original aesthetic. Also, here's another original mobile RPG with designs by Bengus. Please be excited.

Fuck you.

Sesha

We have plenty of short-mid range rushdown characters with claws/punching too.

Fuck you.

Breath-of-Fire-6-620x350.jpg

Now now, be nice.

Skittles

How do you know they weren't started until after the base roster was done? Seems like an inefficient way to develop content. Surely some aspects were being worked on while the main game was still in development, even if just staggered behind the other characters.
Because it'd be very bad game development to start work on something thats not going to be on disc. The last 6 months or so of development are focused solely on optimzation, bug fixing, and manufacturing(occurs after it goes gold and lasts about a month).

Jawmuncher

I can't imagine how badly Darkstalkers would've bombed if it had the presentation of MVC:I.

There'd have been no hope for that game. Even if it was as fun as MVC

TopNep

Neo Member
The DLC looks pretty cool. I'm not too interested in Black Panther and $8 for a character+costume is not a bad deal per say but still quite a bit of money. I'm going to be optimistic and look at it as the season pass being a great deal at $5 each for 6 characters and 6 costumes which is a better deal than most other fighting game DLCs that I've seen. I'll probably pick it up at some point, I'm just hoping that they do Venom justice since he's my most anticipated DLC character.

Honestly wish I could say the same. I was looking forward to Sigma, and still am, but it's lame that he's mainly just using his fucking lightsaber. I don't want Sigma to just be a heavier version of Zero.

I love his moveset, so many call backs. He's like X in this game where its like, yea, his set could be crazy but I'm still pretty happy with what I got. Sigma is in MvC, he could be Dan-tier and I'd be happy

Sesha

I'm glad y'all mega man fans ate

Must be nice.

I can't imagine how badly Darkstalkers would've bombed if it had the presentation of MVC:I.

There'd have been no hope for that game. Even if it was as fun as MVC

They should just make one on the cheap. MvC3 style, and 8-10 chars with Morrigan, Felicia, Hsien-Ko and Jedah recycled, with more potentially as DLC. No cinematic story mode or anything like that.

Shouta

I might actually buy the Season Pass for MvCi since I'm having fun and the 3 chars look dope.

That said though the game is pretty jank and could have used more time in the oven just like SFV. I think it's out in a better state than SFV but that's a pretty low bar to meet, heh.

Edit: Meant for FGC thread but lol, checked wrong thread, oh well.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
They didn't eat anything except their own shit given by how this game is performing.

As always MM fans talk the loudest but when it's time to walk the walk they bounce and complain about some other crap.

you just described every fan of everything, ever.

JeTmAn81

I might actually buy the Season Pass for MvCi since I'm having fun and the 3 chars look dope.

That said though the game is pretty jank and could have used more time in the oven just like SFV. I think it's out in a better state than SFV but that's a pretty low bar to meet, heh.

Edit: Meant for FGC thread but lol, checked wrong thread, oh well.

Nice to hear you're digging the game. I think it's a jolly good time.

Shouta

Nice to hear you're digging the game. I think it's a jolly good time.

I was labbing it up first day just like everyone. I can almost OTK a 10,000 health character with Thanos and X using a Power Stone.

I still need to find some fancier ground combos for X. I'm using him mostly as support for Thanos right now

Dahbomb

Most Capcom fans are good with buying their games.

MH fans buy and eat so much they are obese. MHW will do fine.

RE fans are splintered and complain but they still buy RE games.

There are few Sengoku Basara and Ace Attorney fans but they buy the games consistently.

DR fans used to be consistent but two mediocre hits in a row followed by usual Capcom BS resulted in DR fans bailing out too.

FG fans have been whipped too much and now they are rebelling. Rightfully so I would say, they are clearly tired of shoveling Capcom's shit.

Negaduck

For comparison, a big Mac meal (prices will vary slightly due to location.) is around $6. One meal. Can keep you full for a while.

One character in a fighting game, + additional costume that you could (depending on how much you like the character) for hundreds of hours.

Price doesn't seem to bad to me personally. I can budget accordingly if I needed to (I got the season pass this time. First fighting game I've gotten it for).

vg260

Because it'd be very bad game development to start work on something thats not going to be on disc. The last 6 months or so of development are focused solely on optimzation, bug fixing, and manufacturing(occurs after it goes gold and lasts about a month).

Sorry, but I can't agree with this.

Some work has to be done in parallel. What about the artists and modelers that have essentially finished the bulk of their tasks by that time?

For comparison, a big Mac meal (prices will vary slightly due to location.) is around $6. One meal. Can keep you full for a while.

One character in a fighting game, + additional costume that you could (depending on how much you like the character) for hundreds of hours.

Price doesn't seem to bad to me personally. I can budget accordingly if I needed to (I got the season pass this time. First fighting game I've gotten it for).

Maybe comparison to SF4, UMvC3, and even SFV DLC would be better than to a Big Mac meal.

JeTmAn81

Actually the interesting thing about fighting games is that everyone wants a bigger roster but it's very unlikely that you'll be able to put serious time into more than a handful of characters. So to an individual player most of the characters don't end up doing anything for them. You have to have that big cast to try to appeal to the broadest audience possible.

Top Bottom