• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite |OT| Marvel vs. Capcom: 4 Female Characters

ZeroCDR

well this night sure was completely disheartening. 3 days after the game's release, everyone is doing palm breaker loops, 100 hit combos with dante, fly/unfly ultron and dormammu combos, and im sitting here with magic series Hulk... my only wins were against people that must have just bought the game and apparently cant even DO a magic series, the rest I was just completely destroyed. And clearly my lab time is doing nothing for me so I dont know what to do, I really wanted to try with this one (hell I never even went in a training mode before in a fighting game), I thought the skill gap between ranks would be bigger and you would have some time facing people around your level, but im already fighting against what seem like LiJoe or Fchamp at rank 13.

This is all on me btw, dont take this as me bashing the game, far from it. But the truth is, right now I dont feel like playing anymore. I guess I'm one of those guys we joke about on streams that get blown up and we go "you just made that guy uninstall the game".

I really dont know why I keep buying fighting games tbh. At least I supported it I guess /shrug.

Just keep playing, heck I’m still struggling with moving on from MvC3’s control scheme. I’m not really doing much but magic series and quick tag extensions into hypers. I’m missing out on some meter gain, but I still do comparable damage to those doing minute long combos. As long as my fundamentals are strong I still come out with the win, stick with getting those hits in and do your best not to get hit back. Get to the complicated combos when it makes sense for you, it eventually works itself out in the lab.

FSLink

Banned
The entry level is low and cheese still has a chance to beat the most complex combos you know.
PqCLwCQ.jpg

Relevant.

JayEH

I suck with Morrigan/Dante but I'm going to keep it up because I like them as characters. I need a better function team though...Will probably start considering Thanos/Ultron/Gamora. I need sigma and hunter to drop so i have more Capcom options...don't like that I'm favoring Marvel here lol.

Do we need to get a GAF beginner league going??

That would be cool.

HotHamBoy

Ignorant? The first 3 games had different themes, but the reused assets in for MvC2 more than tripled the roster from MvC.

Roster wise, MvCI is MvC3 with 5 characters swapped for new ones. That is certainly something to complain about considering we will be paying on top of that for all the new characters in the future.

Don't get me wrong, I like the game A LOT because the most important thing is fun mechanics. However, there are some very serious complaints to be had about how it was rolled out.

Also, the fact that the new characters seem to be more polished in both visuals and fitting the new mechanics leaves a sour taste.

I think it's kind of bullshit that they are making us pay for new characters instead of putting them in the base game and selling some of the returning cast.

I also think it's fucking bullshit that Marvel always leaves Black Widow out. Iron Man, Cap, Hulk, Thor, Hawkeye? Always there. BW, the only female core Avenger from the MCU is always left out. Look at a bunch of the product displays, t-shirts, etc. Now she's DLC for MvC:I when she should have been in the fucking base game. Little girls like Black Widow, Marvel, stop being garbage.

124af7da-13a2-47fd-999b-3dd4e26baf96_1.15aa409f8a2af0f111a45ea554028aaf.jpeg

Dahbomb

well this night sure was completely disheartening. 3 days after the game's release, everyone is doing palm breaker loops, 100 hit combos with dante, fly/unfly ultron and dormammu combos, and im sitting here with magic series Hulk... my only wins were against people that must have just bought the game and apparently cant even DO a magic series, the rest I was just completely destroyed. And clearly my lab time is doing nothing for me so I dont know what to do, I really wanted to try with this one (hell I never even went in a training mode before in a fighting game), I thought the skill gap between ranks would be bigger and you would have some time facing people around your level, but im already fighting against what seem like LiJoe or Fchamp at rank 13.

This is all on me btw, dont take this as me bashing the game, far from it. But the truth is, right now I dont feel like playing anymore. I guess I'm one of those guys we joke about on streams that get blown up and we go "you just made that guy uninstall the game".

I really dont know why I keep buying fighting games tbh. At least I supported it I guess /shrug.
Most of the people playing this game right now have played VS games for like 2 decades. This game isn't a big hit for casuals so that means the people playing beyond the beginner league are old players.

You seem too focused on combos. You are falling into the beginner trap. Those guys aren't winning because they have better combos, they are winning because they are landing more hits.

So the way you need to improve is to better your movement, decision making and fine tune mix ups and set ups. The best advice I can give you is to watch your own replays, this game has that function. This will improve your game dramatically. If you can't find faults in your play then let someone else watch the matches.

Most of the people playing this game right now have played VS games for like 2 decades. This game isn't a big hit for casuals so that means the people playing beyond the beginner league are old players.

You seem too focused on combos. You are falling into the beginner trap. Those guys aren't winning because they have better combos, they are winning because they are landing more hits.

So the way you need to improve is to better your movement, decision making and fine tune mix ups and set ups. The best advice I can give you is to watch your own replays, this game has that function. This will improve your game dramatically. If you can't find faults in your play then let someone else watch the matches.

Heh, noice

Neoxon

I think it's kind of bullshit that they are making us pay for new characters instead of putting them in the base game and selling some of the returning cast.

I also think it's fucking bullshit that Marvel always leaves Black Widow out. Iron Man, Cap, Hulk, Thor, Hawkeye? Always there. BW, the only female core Avenger from the MCU is always left out. Look at a bunch of the product displays, t-shirts, etc. Now she's DLC for MvC:I when she should have been in the fucking base game. Little girls like Black Widow, Marvel, stop being garbage.
Marvel's currently pushing Captain Marvel as their token female hero, now. That may explain why Marvel doesn't push Black Widow as hard as they would for the others.

Zero-ELEC

Banned

Hey, man don't be discouraged. You've got good fundamentals and can actually do combo. That's a leg up on the competition. You've just gotta land more hits.

You're def better than me.

HotHamBoy

Marvel's currently pushing Captain Marvel as their token female hero, now. That may explain why Marvel doesn't push Black Widow as hard as they would for the others.

They've been doing this since Avengers 1 and it's an MCU thing.

Anyway, it's just a glaring omission to leave out the only remaining core member of the MCU Avengers when she happens to be female and the base game only has 4 women.

I mean, good that she's DLC but it's still a big letdown.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm still going with these predictions, with a new character releasing every two weeks post-launch:

October 3 - Monster Hunter (moveset rundown, alternate costume reveal, and release date this coming week on Capcom-Unity)
October 17 - Black Panther (trailer at NYCC)
October 31 - Sigma
November 14 - Venom
November 28 - Winter Soldier
December 12 - Black Widow (trailer at PSX)

I would be okay with this to keep the pace steady and exciting. I'm curious how they would do with 2018.

It sort of annoys me that you can't get much off of command throws in this game. I can't get much more than 1000 extra damage off of particular command throws, and it's not really worth to extend the damage by using meter.

I like how Haggar's does a boatload of damage but doesn't allow for a combo extension. I guess you just try and get pressure after you land one, instead of doing damaging combos.

Marvel

could never
What are the thoughts on Ultron?

As a newb to mvc he feels great to me, I'm going to really try and get to grips with this game through him. I paired hom with Iron Man because I stan Tony lol.

Feels good enough though.

What are the thoughts on Ultron?

As a newb to mvc he feels great to me, I'm going to really try and get to grips with this game through him. I paired hom with Iron Man because I stan Tony lol.

Feels good enough though.

He's looking to be at least in the top 3 most played by high level players at the moment along with Gamora. He seems really good at opening people up due to his air mobility and he has a beam super which are generally really good in this game since you can tag to your teammate and have them do stuff while they're stuck in hit/block stun

Marvel

could never
He's looking to be at least in the top 3 most played by high level players at the moment along with Gamora. He seems really good at opening people up due to his air mobility and he has a beam super which are generally really good in this game since you can tag to your teammate and have them do stuff while they're stuck in hit/block stun
Interesting.

I've not been watching any streams yet, will do tomorrow. He certainly is popular online and I myself love Ultron too. Feels like a really solid pick, like Ken, Batman or Sub-zero.

I tried Dante and noped out lol, too complicated atm.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I feel like the only character that I do... stuff with, be it carry my wins, or give some fight back in my losses, is definately Hulk.

I can go in with him with gamma charge, make it safe with the upwards one if needed, and even fall back on fools after the air one with a kick or something when ppl try to catch it. I feel I can actually put some pressure.

What I need to find is another one. GR isnt doing it for me, I keep playing him as a shitty keepaway and when everyone blocks my full screen shit, I dont know what to do with him.

I should try Gamora but she seems like such high execution :/

Jaeger

I can't continue the story mode. At what seems to be the final
Ultron Sigma
battle, when I try to load it up it throws a CE-34868-0 error and closes.

Anyone else having this issue? I already redownloaded the whole game.

brian!

Punk, Flash, and Cloud805 all had nasty resets. I don't even notice the resets mid combo when Flash and Cloud were playing Dante. Like I was saying earlier this game is filthy barely giving the opponent a chance to even play. Gotta love it

Cloud and punk look pretty fucking good atm, they feel a tier above

Ryce

I really can't get over Loki's absence from the game and the DLC pass.
  • Asgard plays a major role in the story.
  • Loki is the most popular and recognizable MCU villain, followed by Thanos and Ultron, who are both included.
  • While every character has potential, it's easy to imagine Loki as an MvC character with his scepter and illusion casting.
It's just such a surprising omission to me. Maybe next year?

FSLink

Banned
I should try Gamora but she seems like such high execution :/

Go with whatever you think you'd have fun with that'll work for your team.

High execution? Who cares, nobody gets there right away.

I literally picked up Zero in MvC3 to help get my execution up from just basic combos and it ended up paying off.

• Loki is the most popular and recognizable MCU villain, followed by Thanos and Ultron, who are both included.
  • While every character has potential, it's easy to imagine Loki as an MvC character with his scepter and illusion magic.

Yeah, not even like a cameo somewhere in a stage?

I'm also saddened that Scarlet Witch isn't in yet either. :(

kirblar

• While every character has potential, it's easy to imagine Loki as an MvC character with his scepter and illusion casting.
MvC:I Story Mode seems to clearly indicate more story content is coming, so yeah, hopefully we get him eventually.

NotLiquid

I hope some top pros pick up Spencer. He feels a lot more interesting or at least fun in this game with the tag mechanics and I'd be interested to see if some fun shenanigans can be accomplished with his frags. I'm already utilizing it in my regular combos.

JayEH

I can't continue the story mode. At what seems to be the final
Ultron Sigma
battle, when I try to load it up it throws a CE-34868-0 error and closes.

Anyone else having this issue? I already redownloaded the whole game.

It just breaks for that fight? No other modes?

MvC:I Story Mode seems to clearly indicate more story content is coming, so yeah, hopefully we get him eventually.

another story mode? no way

He's another that I was 100% sure would be in.

I hope he's DLC in 2018.

MechaX

Something that Aris said that really helped me starting Tekken is that you have to go into things with the mindset of being an enthusiast. Maybe that means having more fun discovering stuff, or enjoying sets regardless of getting bodied, etc. but you're going to have to find some mindset in which you can derive some satisfaction and enjoyment outside of win/lose. This is important because I would be willing to bet that the skill gap is going to be absolutely enormous in this game come in a month's time (i.e., what you're experiencing is probably only going to get worse).

Alternatively, something that helped me when I was playing Gundam was to find a group of friends to play it with while learning; less pressure, more casual, laidback environment so nerves/salt/tilt won't be as much of an issue, and you can improve at your pace with likeminded folks.

patchday

You rank 13 man get it together and wipe those tears away. You get no sympathy from me. I'm in beginner league till I learn to block and what attacks are safe in this game cause I got no frame data. Nrs spoiled me hard

sinkfla87

Don't give up or get discouraged man. I've been playing solely in training mode so I'm probably going to get wrecked and I can't do some of this crazy shit you see myself so far haha. I've been playing fighting games for 15+ years and it took me until about a few years back before I could actually hold my own against most people. I get discouraged when I get beaten a lot but then I just try to think of how to adapt and sometimes I do, sometimes I don't lol. If you wanna practice in online practice mode or play some sets and work on stuff I'm here man. The most important thing is having fun. People need to lose to improve, and when you improve and see those improvements yourself... Well that's where the real fun begins.

Top Bottom