• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite sells 1/10th of MvC3's debut in Japan, 1/6th Pokken DX

vg260

I just don’t know who this game is for.

The Marvel masses don’t care about Capcom characters, and they probably don’t care about fighting games in general. Johnny Casual isn’t going to drop $60 to play as Iron Man when he can do that on his iPhone for free.

The series is beloved by longtime Vs. fans for having Wolverine and the X-Men, Doctor Doom, iconic music, and stylized comic book visuals. All of that is absent from MvCI.

Fuck Marvel for neutering the art direction, sound design, and character roster, and fuck Capcom for not pulling their weight to make up for any of these handicaps. Sequels are expected to rival or surpass the games that came before them. MvC3 shipped with 36 characters, all created from scratch. Half of them were brand new to the series. MvCI has a paltry 30 character roster consisting of 24 mostly recycled MvC3 veterans. At the very least, the 2017 DLC characters should have been included on the base roster. I don’t think I’m speaking as an “entitled gamer” when I say that. This roster is seriously unacceptable.

The gameplay is great, but literally every other component (visuals, music, voice acting, roster…) is worse than MvC3. Even all the talk about accessibility was lip service — it’s far more complicated to play than the previous game. As a diehard MvC fan I am so incredibly disappointed in both Marvel and Capcom for letting this happen, and I am positive that they will take the wrong message from all of this. I really want to see this game improve over time, but I fear the worse. The suits are just going to say, “Welp, I guess people don’t like MvC!”, shift the blame, cut their losses, and move on.

Agreed.

Although I have a sliver of hope they actually pay attention to why, as there's no shortage of detailed feedback out there.

I-hate-u

yeah they should just do Capcom Fighters Megamix 2 because that worked out so well the first time :p

Umm, Capcom had a much better time pre-release with SFV than MvC:I and they were on their own.

I guarantee u if they made a Capcom Fighters as a spiritual successor to MvC3 it would fare much better. And by spiritual successor I mean it follows on the art style and gameplay system as MvC3.

DrArchon

Honestly why is Capcom even working with Marvel again, especially when they deny X-men and impose design restrictions to be in-line with freaking MCU (which sucks imo)? They should just make their own game with own roster and the fan-base would be all over it. They don't need Marvel to sell 2 millions of a proper Capcom All Stars.

Not like they'd have lost any hardcore players seeing as they're eating Infinite up even though it lost all of the X-Men and F4 characters.

But then again they presumably had full control over their side of the roster here and it was still shit so maybe Capcom vs Capcom wouldn't be so hot either.

DR2K

Banned
I don't get this logic. People should evaluate whether the game is worth $60 to them based on what they get out of it. Your logic proposes people can love games they don't think anyone should buy and hate games that they recommend all because enough boxes have been checked.

I blame this attitude on people's obsession with making game reviewing objective when, like with any art, it's subjective. Videogames aren't a pair of headphones.

The game has less content than the UMVC3 update. While looking worse.

I just don’t know who this game is for.

The Marvel masses don’t care about Capcom characters, and they probably don’t care about fighting games in general. Johnny Casual isn’t going to drop $60 to play as Iron Man when he can do that on his iPhone for free.

The series is beloved by longtime Vs. fans for having Wolverine and the X-Men, Doctor Doom, iconic music, and stylized comic book visuals. All of that is absent from MvCI.

Fuck Marvel for neutering the art direction, sound design, and character roster, and fuck Capcom for not pulling their weight to make up for any of these handicaps. Sequels are expected to rival or surpass the games that came before them. MvC3 shipped with 36 characters, all created from scratch. Half of them were brand new to the series. MvCI has a paltry 30 character roster consisting of 24 mostly recycled MvC3 veterans. At the very least, the 2017 DLC characters should have been included on the base roster. I don’t think I’m speaking as an “entitled gamer” when I say that. This roster is seriously unacceptable.

The gameplay is great, but literally every other component (visuals, music, voice acting, roster…) is worse than MvC3. Even all the talk about accessibility was lip service — it’s far more complicated to play than the previous game. As a diehard MvC fan I am so incredibly disappointed in both Marvel and Capcom for letting this happen, and I am positive that they will take the wrong message from all of this. I really want to see this game improve over time, but I fear the worse. The suits are just going to say, “Welp, I guess people don’t like MvC!”, shift the blame, cut their losses, and move on.
Vs fans will get it but that fanbase is getting smaller and smaller. This is, just like SFV, a game for the hardcore FGC player.

culex-knight

Neo Member
Vs fans will get it but that fanbase is getting smaller and smaller. This is, just like SFV, a game for the hardcore FGC player.

Probably more like a game for the hardcore MvC/Capcom player. I was really looking forward to a new Marvel game as a long time spectator of U/MvC3, but I can't really get behind purchasing MvCI as it stands, and probably will always will stand.

AAK

I just don't know who this game is for.

The Marvel masses don't care about Capcom characters, and they probably don't care about fighting games in general. Johnny Casual isn't going to drop $60 to play as Iron Man when he can do that on his iPhone for free.

Fuck Marvel for neutering the art direction, sound design, and character roster, and fuck Capcom for not pulling their weight to make up for any of these handicaps. Sequels are expected to rival or surpass the games that came before them. MvC3 shipped with 36 characters, all created from scratch. Half of them were brand new to the series. MvCI has a paltry 30 character roster consisting of 24 mostly recycled MvC3 veterans. At the very least, the 2017 DLC characters should have been included on the base roster. I don't think I'm speaking as an ”entitled gamer" when I say that. This roster is seriously unacceptable.

The gameplay is great, but literally every other component (visuals, music, voice acting, roster...) is worse than MvC3. Even all the talk about accessibility was lip service — it's far more complicated to play than the previous game. As a diehard MvC fan I am so incredibly disappointed in both Marvel and Capcom for letting this happen, and I am positive that they will take the wrong message from all of this. I really want to see this game improve over time, but I fear the worse. The suits are just going to say, ”Welp, I guess people don't like MvC!", shift the blame, cut their losses, and move on.

As a "diehard MvC fan" you didn't do the game any favors by leaking so many things.

As a "diehard MvC fan" you didn't do the game any favors by leaking so many things.

I wonder if drip feeding this roster would've been better. To be honest, I like the game and I got all my characters (don't give a damn about the X-Men and fuck Wolverine :3), but holding out hope and then dangling those DLC characters would've hurt for a lot of people too. There was plenty of time to get in front of it but I get that it's also extremely difficult in the context of NDAs, major franchises, a marketing plan that didn't exist and just game development in general.

Who knows what's happening in that timeline.

Edit: forgot that on top of this they weren't saying shit about the game up through when Ryce/Saikyo revealed it. Yeah, sorry, no. Zero percent Ryce/Saikyo's fault.

Ryce

My apologies. If people found out about the shitty roster in August as planned instead of May then maybe the game would have broken sales records.

Chavelo

lmao fuck off

Ryce helped out and made the disappointment easier to deal with.

Hell, he made me more hype for the game in the first two months of the leaks than Capcom did for the whole last year.

I-hate-u

Don't you ever put this on the fans, much less Ryce who actually injected hype into this game. Without him this game would have gotten even less attention than what it got.

My apologies. If people found out about the shitty roster in August as planned instead of May then maybe the game would have broken sales records.

I am sorry Ryce for his comment, and I personally thank you for letting us in on the information you were privy to.

Seyavesh

hmm yes people wouldve treated the game much more positively with dripfeed reveals of recycled characters

those 4 old chars really changed the whole ballgame mvci, that damn ryce guy ruines everything

MechaX

Probably more like a game for the hardcore MvC/Capcom player. I was really looking forward to a new Marvel game as a long time spectator of U/MvC3, but I can't really get behind purchasing MvCI as it stands, and probably will always will stand.

I want to say that the game was made for the diehard Marvel nuts, especially including the crime of the crop like Wong, Champ, and Chris G. If they can bring in spectators, that could have achieved some other purpose than direct sales, in theory anyway. Of course, Capcom bungled the plot so much that this isn't feasible; hell, their 2 mil projections point that they were honest to God expecting a blockbuster hit for a fighting game.

This is in no way a fair statement to make.

AAK

Lol go ahead and extrapolate my post into thinking I'm shifting all the blame to Ryce you juvenile idiots.

But yes I stand by my remark of allowing Capcom to reveal characters in visual form rather than through text added extra fuel to the fire.

I-hate-u

Lol go ahead and extrapolate my post into thinking I'm shifting all the blame to Ryce you juvenile idiots.

But yes I stand by my remark of allowing Capcom to reveal characters in visual form rather than through text added extra fuel to the fire.

They revealed characters through twitter man, what are you even saying????

DSC4465-XL.jpg

Ryce

With or without my leaking, the whole roster would have been anticlimactically revealed through bad comic book covers.

ec0ec0

This is what happens when you shit on presentation and general art direction in fighting games, MvC3 had the comic book look, capcom should have dialed that up to eleven on MvCI, look at GGXrd which brings that anime look to 3d, look at DBFZ which loks like you're playing a db episode

This was such an obvious call. I know, supposedly marvel wouldn't let them bla bla bla...

BadWolf

The leak wasn't the problem, the info was.

Whether it got revealed by Ryce or by Capcom later, the reception would have been the same.

Now we're blaming the fans for Capcom's fuck ups? LOL

No shit, I saw people in the SBF OT talking about how much of a shame it is that the gaming community is failing these new Capcom fighters, like it's our responsibility to buy these games in blind faith and not Capcom's to make a game that's actually worth buying.

No shit, I saw people in the SBF OT talking about how much of a shame it is that the gaming community is failing these new Capcom fighters, like it's our responsibility to buy these games in blind faith and not Capcom's to make a game that's actually worth buying.

Capcom made a subpar product and i refused to buy it. The gameplay is fun but thats not enough for me to drop $60 on it when everything else is terrible about it.

The leak wasn't the problem, the info was.

Whether it got revealed by Ryce or by Capcom later, the reception would have been the same.

Ding ding ding

Like people would've been happy to see fucking Haggar on a Venom cover. Bananas. And the mayor of earth is actually a great character.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

What? How is it his fault?

I appreciate Ryce getting the disappointment out of the way early on because people getting their hopes and dreams up for certain characters for months on end when they weren't coming at all would have been worse.

RRockman

Banned

No. This is stupid.

When Roy and Ryu were leaked for smash people were tripping out HARD. Some called it fake for sure, some died in hype but everyone had eyes on Sakurai. A good roster (dlc or base mind you) would create hype no matter how it is revealed. MVCI has nothing as good as Ryu in Smash dlc or otherwise.

What? How is it his fault?

I appreciate Ryce getting the disappointment out of the way early on because people getting their hopes and dreams up for certain characters for months on end when they weren't coming at all would have been worse.

Things were already looking suspicious from the first trailer but having false hope for new characters instead of rehashes would have been worse.

Jawmuncher

If anything the leaks helped the game in the case of there not being a bigger shitstorm around out. Had they held that Roster until the end like they originally planned. Shiet.
There would be more hate towards the game than there is right now.

Not to mention if the roster and reveals would have been hype.
No leak would've done damage to the characters being revealed.
There were no big character reveals for this game outside Jedah.

also wow really? calling people idiots?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Frankly I'd rather Marvel align themselves with Platinum and publish a balls to walls fighter with their own characters blended with that Platinum craziness we all love.
I'm not sure why WB didn't do this with wonder woman would have been an easy sell.

Maybe for WW 2
I wish

BiggNife

Ryce's leaks didn't change anything.

In fact I'm glad he was upfront about this stuff so we knew what to expect.

I dont think anyone is saying you're blaming everything on Ryce but you're saying he contributed to the game's negative image. Regardless of Ryce's leak, the reception would have been undeniably bad once the roster was revealed.

And calling people who disagree with you juvenile idiots really isn't helping your argument at all.

Jawmuncher

Man, if the comic book covers revealed the roster fans would've been twice as upset.

Yeah that's a good point to.
They had all the time in the world to turn things around and we still had character's revealed through comic covers on twitter and nothing more until later.

MrCarter

It's going to become the new standard for how all anime/comic based games should look, at last it they're going for the cartoony look (in contrast to In Justice's realistic art style)

Capcom will have to step things up significantly next time. I think it's been understated how much of a drop in art style quality their fighting games had in the transition to 3D. Their old CPS2 stuff all had an identifiable, unique and gorgeous look to them

As much as people are wetting their panties over DBZF it’s certainly not replacing MvCi in my opinion. DBZF has an anime look because it’s...anime, so obviously it fits the game far better. Capcom did perfectly fine in getting the “comic book” look in MvC3 and SFV looks vibrant, gorgeous and unique to look at and is animated beautifully so they still have the touch:

strangemagic.png

6047371_D_2_A13_472_B_9954_7_ED9_B5_DDB0_D4.jpg

However with MvCi the art director (if there even was one) has been asleep at the wheel for sure. It’s one of the first instances in a long time I’ve seen such inconsistency in artstyle for one of their fighters so hopefully they can learn from the SFV team and improve it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I really like Marvel vs. Capcom. Been playing the Capcom Marvel fighters since Children of the Atom. Lots of fond memories playing X-Men vs. Street Fighter and Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter in the arcades and on a friend's Japanese Sega Saturn with the RAM cartridge, and of course, thousands of hours were spent playing Marvel vs. Capcom and especially MVC2 on the Dreamcast. I didn't play nearly as much MVC3, but it was still a cool game.

Nothing about this new one has captured my interest, though. The art looks terrible and the roster isn't very interesting to me. I honestly don't know how you do a Marvel game without any X-Men. I'm sure they got pressured from Marvel to play up the current Marvel Cinematic Universe, but as someone who has zero interest in their moves, it definitely feels like this game is not for me.

I'm a big vs fan and I didn't get it. In fact this is the first vs game I have no intention of getting. And I imported xmen vs SF for the Saturn back in the day.

ec0ec0

Good, they don't deserve shit for doing a half ass job, if this mean the death of the franchise then so be it.

Basically.

Acording to some people, if the situation is so bad that it may mean the death of the franchise (for an undetermined amount of time), then it doesn't make sense to be glad that capcom is, f*cking finally, getting what they have deserved for many year now, after f*cking over fans with each new fighting game they released!?

If there's no place in the market for capcom releasing products, that are an awfull proposition for the general public, compared to what the competition have been doing since 2010 (and getting better and better at it while capcom keeps getting worse), then so be it.

but capcom still has the best gameplay you say? Well, to bad, good gameplay alone is not going to sell your fighting game in 2017.

FSLink

Banned
No. This is stupid.

When Roy and Ryu were leaked for smash people were tripping out HARD. Some called it fake for sure, some died in hype but everyone had eyes on Sakurai. A good roster (dlc or base mind you) would create hype no matter how it is revealed. MVCI has nothing as good as Ryu in Smash dlc or otherwise.
Yup and when UMvC3's roster was leaked there was excitement around how Phoenix Wright and the others (including relatively unknown characters at the time like Rocket Raccoon) would play. There was hardly any of that here outside of Jedah.

Jawmuncher

As much as people are wetting their panties over DBZF it's certainly not replacing MvCi in my opinion. DBZF has an anime look because it's...anime, so obviously it fits the game far better. Capcom did perfectly fine in getting the ”comic book" look in MvC3 and SFV looks vibrant, gorgeous and unique to look at and is animated beautifully so they still have the touch:

strangemagic.png

6047371_D_2_A13_472_B_9954_7_ED9_B5_DDB0_D4.jpg

However with MvCi the art director (if there even was one) has been asleep at the wheel for sure. It's one of the first instances in a long time I've seen such inconsistency in artstyle for one of their fighters so hopefully they can learn from the SFV team and improve it.

Yeah at this point the only thing hurting SFV from a graphical standpoint would be
Backgrounds - (Not a big deal they're backgrounds. They don't factor into the match and the newer stages look great anyway).
Clipping - Another not a big deal. Clipping happens and it's not like you can really notice with how fast the game is. Though they should work on the Character Select clipping if they haven't yet.
Kens Face at Character Select - Just wish they'd change it is all lol.

Yup and when UMvC3's roster was leaked there was excitement around how Phoenix Wright and the others (including relatively unknown characters at the time like Rocket Raccoon) would play. There was hardly any of that here outside of Jedah.

Another good point. A good roster even leaked will have people buzzing about how they'll look or play.
Only Jedah and Hunter really had any of that going for them.

MrCarter

Resident Evil 7? Their biggest game of the gen was neither a mistake nor a failure, it was a possible GOTY in a year stacked with excellent games, and a landmark title for VR. Plus a great return to form for survival horror RE.

Between Lawbreakers and MvCI, the blatant schadenfreude at poor commercial performances nowadays is absurd. Say what you will about the presentation, the marketing, and the roster, but Capcom put out a very competent fighter, mechanically sound, well-balanced, and well-received by the people who played it instead of snickered at it from the sidelines. It's not the best fighter I've ever played, but it's a great game and a worthy successor to the earlier entries in the franchise.

I truly believe these developers made the best game they could given the budget they had to work with, and the limitations imposed by Marvel executives. We should celebrate the fact that the game is surprisingly good, not the fact that it predictably bombed.

Pokken is also a fun game and I'm glad to see it's doing well. With a second entry and some mechanical refinements, it could become a great Nintendo fighting-game counterpart to Smash.

Good post. Sometimes we see sales figures and simply judge based on the numbers without looking at the context and bigger picture. Of course Capcom are the ones to blame for poor management, PR, marketing, word of mouth, roster and the visuals but I’m pretty sure they could have improved on it if they had the resources and support from Marvel. Do I think the game will have legs? Of course. VS titles never lit up the sales charts however it will most definitely last far longer competitively than Pokken or even DBFZ.

Degen

The developers couldn't put out the game that the fans wanted, and thanks to the leaks, we knew that all along.
Pre-launch advertising was almost non-existent. I got most of it from Twitch a few days before launch thanks to some retailers breaking street date.
The publisher is more focused on the eSports push than anything else, and that doesn't appeal to everybody.
The art style that made MVC3 look great despite its lack of detail is gone, so not only are MVCI's visuals bland in comparison, everything in particular that looks bad stands out.
The Capcom side copied/pasted some of the least-interesting characters from UMVC3 and added Megaman X and Jedah.
The Marvel side is purely the MCU, not because of licensing issues, but because Disney didn't wanna promote other people's movies.
The presenatation (everything from the life bars to the menus) looks like it was thrown together at the last minute.
Pay extra immediately for DLC with no release date, no timeline, and no identity until recently.
That "functions" comment from Peter Rosas tried to bury fan-favorite characters that aren't in MVCI but instead buried the game itself.

Who was this game aimed at, outside of the competitive scene?

Fiendcode

I'm a big vs fan and I didn't get it. In fact this is the first vs game I have no intention of getting. And I imported xmen vs SF for the Saturn back in the day.
Ditto. I think I bought every available Vs fighter on Saturn, Dreamcast, PS2, Wii and Xbox 360. I even rebought UMVC3 on Steam 6 months ago. But I'm not bothering with MVCI, no interest.

Neonep

I appreciated the leaks considering that Capcom announced the game at the top of December and went dark on the game until late April and then went dark before E3. That was a no-no for a game coming in September.

jett

D-Member
It's going to become the new standard for how all anime/comic based games should look, at last it they're going for the cartoony look (in contrast to In Justice's realistic art style)

Capcom will have to step things up significantly next time. I think it's been understated how much of a drop in art style quality their fighting games had in the transition to 3D. Their old CPS2 stuff all had an identifiable, unique and gorgeous look to them

I sure hope the new standard for fighters isn't disabling animation interpolation. It's every other developer that needs to step it up to be on SFV's level.

sghY50y.gif

O7PaIn2.gif

MboFWTC.gif

jLSCEkT.gif

I sure don't want every fighter to look like a budget anime.

Top Bottom