• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite sells 1/10th of MvC3's debut in Japan, 1/6th Pokken DX

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
They would have been better off porting an HD version of Tatsunoku vs Capcom to the Switch. Straight hustling backwards.

I hope Marvel is reading this thread.

giphy.gif

ec0ec0

I sure hope the new standard for fighters isn't disabling animation interpolation.
Lmao

It's amazing how, everyone who doesn't like guilty gear style animations, reduces dragon ball fighters visuals to that.

Capcom does not use that effect in their fighters, so they would have to make their game lo look as gorgeous as dragon ball fighters looks, but without guilty gear style animations. And, looking at marvel vs capcom infinite, they are as far from that as they could posibly be.

RRockman

Banned
It's going to become the new standard for how all anime/comic based games should look, at last it they're going for the cartoony look (in contrast to In Justice's realistic art style)

Capcom will have to step things up significantly next time. I think it's been understated how much of a drop in art style quality their fighting games had in the transition to 3D. Their old CPS2 stuff all had an identifiable, unique and gorgeous look to them

I sure hope the new standard for fighters isn't disabling animation interpolation. It's every other developer that needs to step it up to be on SFV's level.

sghY50y.gif

O7PaIn2.gif

MboFWTC.gif

jLSCEkT.gif

ArcSys can FOH with their budget anime look.

I dunno bruv, this post is starting to seem a little bit salty... if you prefer SFV's style that's fine. But SF style is significantly different from past mvc games and the lack of style this one has. That poster also specifically said that it sets the standard for anime/comic games too. Not regular fighters. And FYI, your edited post is still rude.

taoofjord

I would have picked it up if the graphics, art direction, and overall presentation were better. As is, the game looks aesthetically unappealing and bland.

As someone with multiple Capcom art books and an immense love of Capcom artists, this is a massive disappointment.

Toxi

Banned
Not every fighter has to have Xrd/Fighterz artstyle, but none should have fucking Infinite's.
Infinite's problem is that it doesn't really have a style. Hawkeye, Jedah, Dormammu, and Megaman don't look like they belong together in the same game. They don't have any unifying visual element.

The music has the same problem; outside the bland Marvel orchestral tracks, nothing feels coherent.

I'm not sure why WB didn't do this with wonder woman would have been an easy sell.

Maybe for WW 2
I wish

You know what I'd like to see? This game done right:

latest

All Marvel characters, open and fully destructible environments based on famous Marvel landmarks, over the top combat similar in style/ look to Bayonetta or Metal Gear Re-vengeance,

Canucked

latest

All Marvel characters, open and fully destructible environments based on famous Marvel landmarks, over the top combat similar in style/ look to Bayonetta or Metal Gear Re-vengeance

This wasn't all marvel characters. It was a versus knock off.

Infinite's problem is that it doesn't really have a style. Hawkeye, Jedah, Dormammu, and Megaman don't look like they belong together in the same game. They don't have any unifying visual element.
Yeah. That's how I would described it. A few of the characters feel like they don't belong in the same game. It looks rather awkward at times.

Unlike say, Smash where Bayonetta and Cloud look like they belong with the rest of Nintendos Cast.

FinKL

latest

All Marvel characters, open and fully destructible environments based on famous Marvel landmarks, over the top combat similar in style/ look to Bayonetta or Metal Gear Re-vengeance,

I remember this game, terribly unbalanced if I remember correctly. What kinda fun to play though.

This wasn't all marvel characters. It was a versus knock off.

I didn't say mean THAT game had all Marvel characters. I'm saying I'd like to see that STYLE of game but with a full Marvel roster with the aforementioned PLatinum style over the top animations, design, and combat system based off the type of stuff you see in Bayonetta or Re-vengeance.

I remember this game, terribly unbalanced if I remember correctly. What kinda fun to play though.

Yes, thats what I mean. I'd like to see it 'done right' in terms of gameplay mechanic, balancing, story mode but I liked the general premise behind it.

jett

D-Member
Lmao

It's amazing how, everyone who doesn't like guilty gear style animations, reduces dragon ball fighters visuals to that.

Capcom does not use that effect in their fighters, so they would have make their game lo look as gorgeous as dragon ball fighters looks, but wirhout guilty gear style animations. And, looking at infinite, they are as far from that as they could posibly be.

DBZF looks virtually identical to GG in how its animated. There's nothing to reduce. That's what they do. They disable animation interpolation and use only keyframes. They put a lot of detail and work into those key frames, but the end result is that the animation quality is variable, and usually does not look all that smooth. Just like your average anime tv show! It works for ArcSys and they absolutely achieve the look they want though. But no, I don't want every fighter to look like that. Comic, anime or otherwise.

Whatever MvCI looks like, I'd prefer it if it animated like SFV instead of GG/DBZF.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
He's right.

It's a shame that Infinite bombed. With this and SF5, it's not looking good for the future of Capcom fighters.

Forget the future, the present state of Capcom fighters isn't looking good.

That's why I specified that I'd like to see that style of game but with all the Marvel characters you know and love. The MCU characters and if they ever get over whatever issues are going on, the Xmen and FF rosters.
Who can make this and keep it as a serious fighter?

Cuz Koei Tecmo are the only ones I can think of.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

latest

The original trailer was incredible and nothing like what we received.

jett

D-Member
Not sure what you mean by 'serious', but I mentioned Platinum in my first post. I'd like to see them tackle the Marvel property and put their own style on it.

Platinum has never made a fighter in their entire lives.

And they aren't known for good graphics either, so I'm not sure what you expect out of them.

Oregano

I'd trust this Mofo to make a Marvel fighting game:

2616111-4432644463-photo.jpg

It'd never happen for obvious reasons though.

It's Kosuke Yabuki, director of Mario Kart 8 and producer of Arms

I assumed you want it to play like an arena fighter.

Are you saying that can't be viewed as a serious fighter depending on how it's done? What are the criteria for meeting the 'serious' fighter standard? Not trying to argue, just curious.

Platinum has never made a fighter in their entire lives.

And they aren't known for good graphics either, so I'm not sure what you expect out of them.

Really? Can't say I've looked at stuff like Vanquish, Revengance or Bayonetta and turned my nose up at those graphics, but to each their own.

Toxi

Banned
Yeah. That's how I would described it. A few of the characters feel like they don't belong in the same game. It looks rather awkward at times.

Unlike say, Smash where Bayonetta and Cloud look like they belong with the rest of Nintendos Cast.
I think Smash 4 actually does have a bit of this issue thanks to the glut of similarly proportioned anime-styled characters.

Like you can have a battle of Corrin, Palutena, Link, Shulk, Zero Suit Samus, Cloud, Lucina, and Diddy Kong. Clearly, one of these things doesn't belong. It looks less like a crossover of wildly different series and more like a normal fighting game roster with Diddy Kong.

I think more clearly visually differentiating the "anime" characters in Smash 4 would have made this less of a problem. Xenoblade looks so different graphically from Fire Emblem, yet Shulk in Smash doesn't look that different from the Fire Emblem crew.

Are you saying that can't be viewed as a serious fighter depending on how it's done? What are the criteria for meeting the 'serious' fighter standard. Not trying to argue, just curious.
I don't have criterias but if it played close to Dissidia that could be interesting.

Platy

Lol go ahead and extrapolate my post into thinking I'm shifting all the blame to Ryce you juvenile idiots.

But yes I stand by my remark of allowing Capcom to reveal characters in visual form rather than through text added extra fuel to the fire.

They revealed black widow, the only character that hasn't leaked in a CAPCOM UNITY text

MrCarter

We'd all be better off if Capcom pulled a Lucasfilm and liquidated its IP and catalogue to companies that actually give a damn.

lol this thread has turned to shit. A couple bad launches won’t make them shut down their entire company - that’s stupid talk. Especially after critically acclaimed titles like Resident Evil 7 which pioneered VR and the very positive reception of Monster Hunter World. They just need to manage their fighting game division properly.

No Linn Kurosawa. No Regina. No Batsu Ichimonji or Billstein. If you're going to come up short on the Marvel roster, there's no reason to not pick up the slack on the Capcom side. Uninspired casting all round.

I-hate-u

I'd trust this Mofo to make a Marvel fighting game:

2616111-4432644463-photo.jpg

It'd never happen for obvious reasons though.

It's Kosuke Yabuki, director of Mario Kart 8 and producer of Arms

Why not this guy?

Ryota_Niitsuma_at_TvC_launch_event.jpg

Actually never mind, he worked on TvC and MvC3, he is not credible enough
SMH CAPCOM YOU PISS ME OFFFFFF

Pompadour

Honestly why is Capcom even working with Marvel again, especially when they deny X-men and impose design restrictions to be in-line with freaking MCU (which sucks imo)? They should just make their own game with own roster and the fan-base would be all over it. They don't need Marvel to sell 2 millions of a proper Capcom All Stars.

Street Fighter is more popular than a Capcom All-Stars would be. Which is to say the game probably wouldn't sell well.

But if a Marvel game can bomb extremely hard, it might make financial sense to abandon Marvel altogether. That license can't be cheap.

If USF2 was a success for them, maybe they shoud have put Infinite on the Switch.

Multiple times already we've seen games perform better on Switch than the other systems.

But that's my stupid idea.

If USF2 was a success for them, maybe they shoud have put Infinite on the Switch.

Multiple times already we've seen games perform better on Switch than the other systems.

But that's my stupid idea.

They couldn't even be half-arsed to put something like Mega-man collection or Disney afternoon on Switch, which are as low-risk as possible and cater directly to Nintendo's core audience. FFS, aren't those compilations 100% comprised of NES games??

ksamedi

SFV and MarvelCapcom have one thing in common, they both look very unapplealing. The art style is just bad, it doest look fluid or fun to play either. This wouldnt sell on the Switch either.

Neonep

SFV and MarvelCapcom have one thing in common, they both look very unapplealing. The art style is just bad, it doest look fluid or fun to play either. This wouldnt sell on the Switch either.

The artstyle in MVC:I doesn't look good but SFV looks perfectly fine, the game is nowhere even close to being bad from a graphics standpoint.

nded

Both games are actually quite fluid, and while fun is subjective I enjoy playing both.

Shadoken

Tekken sold 45.6 mils and SF 38 mils, i don't care what some fanboys on a forum say Tekken is the bigger franchise and it did it in a shorter time.

If you are looking only at console then yes. But SF2 insane arcade revenue is probably more than the combined sales of all SF games. Just look up highest grossing arcade games ( its more than $4bn).

Tekken isnt anywhere close , coz arcades were mostly dead by the time it came out. And while its big in Japan , its nothing compared to the Arcade glory days. So yea maybe before you say fanboys on forums , maybe you should look up your facts.

Top Bottom