• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Masahiro Sakurai is making an appearance at the Fire Emblem 25th Anniversary Event.

Toxi

Banned
Smash is responsible for keeping Fire Emblem, F-Zero, and to a certain extent, Metroid off life support or out of the grave completely.
Considering the odds of a new F-Zero game are virtually zero, I wouldn't say Smash kept it out of the grave.
If it weren't for Samurai and crew this series would have probably gotten the same anniversary treatment that Metroid got
Also helps that Intelligent Systems actually cares about their series. :-(

Please, I need more sword users in Smash.

I really don't get people's problem with sword users. Swords are weapons commonly used in combat, like no shit there will be more than a handful in a fighting game. Lots of characters have kick attacks, too, let's get pissed about that.

I hope it's Roy and Dark Roy. Jerks.

Toxi

Banned
I really don't get people's problem with sword users. Swords are weapons commonly used in combat, like no shit there will be more than a handful in a fighting game. Lots of characters have kick attacks, too, let's get pissed about that.

I hope it's Roy and Dark Roy. Jerks.
I think three sword users who play identically is more of a concern.

Please Sakurai zag!

ryu_third_strike_hd_by_steamboy33-d4tcf9b.gif

TreIII

He's just there to announce FIGHTER EMBLEM

Done by Arc Sys using the GGXrd tech. Fight in stages recreating the best moments in the series' history including Ashnard's Castle Siege.

That'd be acceptable. I'd honestly prefer a 3D weapons-based fighter by Namco's Project Soul team, though.

But either way, I'm tired of settling for just seeing MCs in Smash. FE has long deserved its own fighting game.

Sakurai: "When Roy Koopa and Roy from Fire Emblem are in the same battle, one Roy is renamed Alfonso #1 and the other Roy is renamed Alfonso #2."

And if you're playing on the spirit tracks stage with a Link as well, Alfonso will be replaced with Ryu.

Piers

I'm fine if he doesn't announce anything. He left Twitter from how every interest he posts, people immediately ask if it's related to Smash.

Azure J

Please, I need more sword users in Smash.

There is no such thing as too many sword users.

When is the Smash fan base going to GET this my God... A creative move set for a character will shine through regardless of them using pointy metal and can in fact be enhanced that much more either visually/animation wise or through straight up interactions with said pointy metal. What is it about swords that make people default to thinking "oh that character's just going to swing it and that's dull"? Have you no appreciation for crazy over the top Devil May Cry fight sequences? Old samurai movies? Medieval combat? Vikings and pirates? Magicians manipulating objects via magic fu or casting with them as a medium? Puppet characters with living swords? Lightsabers and force powers?!

Shit I just came up with all this at a moment's notice. I think Nintendo is full of people who could do far more interesting things thematically or mechanically. Why people keep parroting that line like swords are the most boring thing ever fascinates me as much as it makes me truly wince thinking about how loud the group of people thinking this way can be.

CazTGG

"And now, we are proud to announce the newest Smash Bros. character: Shouzou Kaga."

So that's what he's been up to all this time...

Moonlight

Banned
Real talk, as much as I am pro-sword, it'd be nice if the next FE characters cooled it on the pointy implements on hilts. Robin was a really nice step in the right direction in that way, and it'd be nice to see a character representing the other two weapons the series includes in its' weapon triangle.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The problem here is that Fire Emblem is known for having a very neat triangle weapon system involving axes and spears that people really want to see in Smash, but so far everyone has only used swords.

The problem here is that Fire Emblem is known for having a very neat triangle weapon system involving axes and spears that people really want to see in Smash, but so far everyone has only used swords.

There aren't any popular lords or main characters that use those weapons. The most popular characters all use swords. Hector and Ephraim are not as popular as Marth, Ike or Roy and none of the side characters in the series really could be in Smash. So far only Robin and Lucina are non-lords and Lucina is a bonus clone character and Robin was the main character anyway, and more or less a "lord" in all but title.

If IS made a main character or lord that was as popular and well known as the characters in Smash, then we'd have them in Smash.

Watch Sakurai add Roy with new moves, just to counter all the crap said about him and his team when Project M released Roy and Mewtwo.

Am I the only one who would be totally okay with Roy if they made him his Awakening art? I love Awakening Roy and I could see a switched up moveset if he used that as a base for SSB4 Roy.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
There aren't any popular lords or main characters that use those weapons. The most popular characters all use swords. Hector and Ephraim are not as popular as Marth, Ike or Roy and none of the side characters in the series really could be in Smash. So far only Robin and Lucina are non-lords and Lucina is a bonus clone character and Robin was the main character anyway, and more or less a "lord" in all but title.

If IS made a main character or lord that was as popular and well known as the characters in Smash, then we'd have them in Smash.
This is the exact same situation we had with the original Dissidia. :( It won't happen unless they make a Fire Emblem fighting game, and even then I imagine the dumbfucks at IS would choose main lords only.

Do we know if Kamui uses anything else besides swords? At least he can transform into a dragon.

Am I the only one who would be totally okay with Roy if they made him his Awakening art? I love Awakening Roy and I could see a switched up moveset if he used that as a base for SSB4 Roy.

I also love Awakening Roy (and Awakening Lyn). I like them so much that I recoil at the older designs.

I feel similarly about most of the Hyrule Warriors designs. Link bores me to absolute death without the blue scarf and gloves.

Dryk

These character designs would look so cool with a nice lance. But no, their canon weapon has to be swords. Again. Get used to it guys. At least they'll be able to turn into dragons for their final smash.

Neoxon

These character designs would look so cool with a nice lance. But no, their canon weapon has to be swords. Again. Get used to it guys. At least they'll be able to turn into dragons for their final smash.
A bit too soon for Fire Emblem if representation.

Golnei

Depending on when the next Smash game releases, we could be another few games into the series by then. We'll have a completely different sword-wielding lord or tactician to choose from.

I actually think we might have a better chance of more unique characters as FE representatives going forwards, if Robin is any indication. If 'if' were under consideration for Smash 4 instead of Awakening, the equivalent choice to Robin would be the game's deuteragonist with a notably different weapon and style from the lord, Aqua.

Top Bottom