• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 PS3 details ("exclusive" interactive comic, all current DLC included)

No45 said:
Interesting perspective, when all it does is condense the ENTIRE game that's exclusive to the 360 into a digestible form so that this game makes some sense.

I thought Microsoft also had a requirement like this for late content?

I don't like exclusive content PERIOD. I can accept console exclusive games, but I've already spent around $100 on ME2 for the 360 and I don't regret it! I will continue to buy any DLC (excluding stupid weapon/clothing DLC) should they put out any more.

Seriously Bioware, let me give you my money. Just give me the opportunity.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Lothars said:
It wasn't that bad of a shooter, it was actually decent.

I would say 'tolerable' at best.

...but I think I did officially hate it after the Pinaccle Station DLC mission.

Red

Mr_Zombie said:
Instead it used EDI to explain everything.
Eh, not sure what part you're talking about. She only really talks about the Normandy and the functions of each room. The story proper just happens, and you're a part of it. There's not really that kind of "I AM A PROTHEAN COMPUTER CONVENIENTLY STILL ACTIVE AFTER MILLIONS OF YEARS AND HERE LET ME TELL YOU EVERYTHING, COMPLETE STRANGER" exposition. I mean, even the antagonist pulls a James Bond villain-esque evil plan breakdown as soon as you see him for the first time.

T'Zariah

Banned
Crunched said:
Eh, not sure what part you're talking about. She only really talks about the Normandy and the functions of each room. The story proper just happens, and you're a part of it. There's not really that kind of "I AM A PROTHEAN COMPUTER CONVENIENTLY STILL ACTIVE AFTER MILLIONS OF YEARS AND HERE LET ME TELL YOU EVERYTHING, COMPLETE STRANGER" exposition.
I still don't get how if the Reapers kill everything after 50,000 years....then how the hell did Earth managed to escape life being wiped out when it was over FOUR BILLION YEARS OLD!!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
duckroll said:
But the gameplay and level design of ME1 were always shit. The game's redeeming features come from the scenario and visuals. As long as all of that is replicated
and I can generate a save file based on my choices
I would pick an interactive comic over replaying ME.

Funny, because I hope for ME3 they make a comic for ME2 so I don't need to go through a 12 mission recruitathon and an average third person shooter again.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
firehawk12 said:
Funny, because I hope for ME3 they make a comic for ME2 so I don't need to go through a 12 mission recruitathon and an average third person shooter again.

maybe ME3 should just be a comic since we can't all agree on which game is better

Somtaaw

Banned
NightBlade88 said:
I still don't get how if the Reapers kill everything after 50,000 years....then how the hell did Earth managed to escape life being wiped out when it was over FOUR BILLION YEARS OLD!!
The reaper only wipe out spacefaring civilizations who envolve alongs the paterns they want.

NightBlade88 said:

Reapers only target advanced races, I think.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Snuggler said:
maybe ME3 should just be a comic since we can't all agree on which game is better

Probably. :lol

Maybe it's because I played ME2 on Insanity, but it was just a horridly designed stop and pop shooter where you had to exploit the broken AI in order to get past certain parts of the game. I never thought I would ever circle strafe and kite an enemy in 2010.

Add to the fact that the story was mostly bland and lacked the depth of the first game (speech victory? what speech victory?) and that's where I'm at.

Red

firehawk12 said:
Maybe they can toss a few sections where bullets twirl around randomly, enemies do nothing except run into walls, and your teammates stand motionless to appease the ME1 fans.
firehawk12 said:
Probably. :lol

Maybe it's because I played ME2 on Insanity, but it was just a horridly designed stop and pop shooter where you had to exploit the broken AI in order to get past certain parts of the game. I never thought I would ever circle strafe and kite an enemy in 2010.

Add to the fact that the story was mostly bland and lacked the depth of the first game (speech victory? what speech victory?) and that's where I'm at.
My first playthrough of ME2 was on insanity as an adept and my god it was so sadistically satisfying. I do admit there are too many stop-and-pop moments, but it's still better than the total clusterfuck that was ME1.

My problem with insanity in ME2 is that the adept's powers don't affect enemies until you've stripped their shields, which pointlessly extends a lot of firefights. Adepts were so OPed in the first game, I understand the need to scale them back, but goddamn there's no need to turn them into whimpering slabs of meat like how they were handled in the sequel.

Somtaaw said:
The reaper only wipe out spacefaring civilizations who envolve alongs the paterns they want.

Yeah this. They need to have discovered and learned how to use the mass relays before the repears would harvest the civilization.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Crunched said:
Maybe they can toss a few sections where bullets twirl around randomly, enemies do nothing except run into walls, and your teammates stand motionless to appease the ME1 fans.

My first playthrough of ME2 was on insanity as an adept and my god it was so sadistically satisfying. I do admit there are too many stop-and-pop moments, but it's still better than the total clusterfuck that was ME1.

Yeah, but I play these games because they're supposed to be RPGs, not shooters. It's like dinging Fallout New Vegas because of the bad shooting.

If I wanted to play a pure shooter with a bland story, I'd go play Gears again.

Red

firehawk12 said:
Yeah, but I play these games because they're supposed to be RPGs, not shooters. It's like dinging Fallout New Vegas because of the bad shooting.

If I wanted to play a pure shooter with a bland story, I'd go play Gears again.
I liked the RPG elements in 2 better than 1. There was less character customization, but the way it was consolidated amounted to much the same experience overall.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Crunched said:
I liked the RPG elements in 2 better than 1. There was less character customization, but the way it was consolidated amounted to much the same experience overall.
By doubling the cast they kind of showed the fallacy of having an open ended quest structure where the cast never interacts with each other. Take Grunt down with you during Mordin's mission and he doesn't say a word about the experiments or anything. Miranda is mostly silent during Jack's mission. And so on.

The first game had the two awesome choices on Virmire and a speech ending. In ME2, that's reduced to three loyalty checks in the game.

I don't know why we're even arguing this... other than the fact that I feel some sort of need to defend ME1. :lol

dralla

Crunched said:
How about the fifty literally identical warehouses? Or the dozen identical mines? Or miles and miles of absolutely nothing? Those were pretty well-designed, huh?
I'm talking about the story missions obviously. In ME2 99% of the missions devolved into corridor shooting. It never mixed all the elements into a single mission [until Shadow Broker]. Missions were longer and more methodically paced with a nice balance of action and RPG in ME1. So many wasted opportunities in ME2, like Jacks recruit mission. They could've done so much with being trapped in the prison, having to explore and talk to the inmates, Riddick style. But no, just shoot more stuff. The shooting in ME2 isn't bad but it's not good enough to carry the game.

Red

firehawk12 said:
By doubling the cast they kind of showed the fallacy of having an open ended quest structure where the cast never interacts with each other. Take Grunt down with you during Mordin's mission and he doesn't say a word about the experiments or anything. Miranda is mostly silent during Jack's mission. And so on.

The first game had the two awesome choices on Virmire and a speech ending. In ME2, that's reduced to three loyalty checks in the game.

I don't know why we're even arguing this... other than the fact that I feel some sort of need to defend ME1. :lol
The in-mission character interaction was definitely lacking, as was a choice as powerful as the one on Virmire. But you were simply given more opportunities for input in the second game. From interactive cutscenes to character loyalty quests, you were constantly thrown into situations you'd need to make a key decision in.

The problem isn't really that there isn't anything as significant as Virmire, either, because of the choices involving
Legion and the Collector ship.
What sticks out about the choice on Virmire is that it is immediate. ME2 doesn't give you that kind of instant consequence, despite how far-reaching the results may be. Whether or not that's a detriment is ultimately up to ME3 and how the story plays out.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Crunched said:
The in-mission character interaction was definitely lacking, as was a choice as powerful as the one on Virmire. But you were simply given more opportunities for input in the second game. From interactive cutscenes to character loyalty quests, you were constantly thrown into situations you'd need to make a key decision in.

The problem isn't really that there isn't anything as significant as Virmire, either, because of the choices involving
Legion and the Collector ship.
What sticks out about the choice on Virmire is that it is immediate. ME2 doesn't give you that kind of instant consequence, despite how far-reaching the results may be. Whether or not that's a detriment is ultimately up to ME3 and how the story plays out.

You really weren't thrown into decision making situations in ME2, because all the choices boiled down to Paragon vs Renegade. The choices on Virmire were purely plot choices independent of your alignment.

And look at how they handled the continuity from ME1? Now that they have to account for the fact that everyone in ME2
might die
, let alone the fact that some people won't even have the DLC, there's no way they're going to satisfactorily resolve all of that.

dralla said:
I'm talking about the story missions obviously. In ME2 99% of the missions devolved into corridor shooting. It never mixed all the elements into a single mission [until Shadow Broker]. Missions were longer and more methodically paced with a nice balance of action and RPG in ME1. So many wasted opportunities in ME2, like Jacks recruit mission. They could've done so much with being trapped in the prison, having to explore and talk to the inmates, Riddick style. But no, just shoot more stuff. The shooting in ME2 isn't bad but it's not good enough to carry the game.

It's really unfortunate that only 2 of the 12 possible loyalty missions didn't involve shooting in a space warehouse or a corridor of some sorts.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Oh my god why does this happen in every single Mass Effect thread? WHY? WWWHHHHHHYYYYYYYYY?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Crunched said:

Agreed. The problem is they didnt expand, just took the limited stuff they already had and made it suck less to work through.

Red

EatChildren said:
Oh my god why does this happen in every single Mass Effect thread? WHY? WWWHHHHHHYYYYYYYYY?
I'm sorry.
firehawk12 said:
You really weren't thrown into decision making situations in ME2, because all the choices boiled down to Paragon vs Renegade. The choices on Virmire were purely plot choices independent of your alignment.
Legion and the Collector ship
were sort of muddy in their moral consequence. Yes, the game rewards you in a specific way depending on your choices, but you ultimately can't be sure which one benefits the galaxy in the long run.

I would suggest having more grey areas in ME3, or doing away with a reward for "all paragon/all renegade" (including achievements), because that kind of encouragement tends to force players into artificial behaviors.

Mr_Zombie

Crunched said:
Eh, not sure what part you're talking about. She only really talks about the Normandy and the functions of each room. The story proper just happens, and you're a part of it.

Maybe I don't remember the game that well, but isn't she the one that explains everything about
the human repear
before the final boss fight? The same goes for almost every single information you gain during the game; most of the time you just send something for EDI to analyse and she then serves as an info kiosk. :/

EDIT: Sorry charlequin, haven't seen your post before I've posted mine.

Cels

LiK said:
Comic retelling? Meh

Lookin forward to the rest.

I doubt the DLC from 360 would be vouchers here.

EA Project Ten Dollar says SOMETHING has to be a voucher. I'm guessing Cerberus network is a PSN voucher which allows you to get all the DLC.

Jerk

Banned
EatChildren said:

The complaints are valid.

Look deep inside, you know it to be true

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Jerk 2.0 said:
The complaints are valid.

Look deep inside, you know it to be true

I dont care if they're valid. I do care that every single Mass Effect related thread devolves into the same tired debate with the same arguments that have been thrown back and forth a billion times over in the Mass Effect 2 OT.

If people want to keep ranting and raving, either create a new topic or go into the OT. The derailing is annoying.

IM ANGGRRRYYYYYY.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
EatChildren said:
Probably because ME2 was a knife in my back that will never go away.

duckroll

EatChildren said:
I dont care if they're valid. I do care that every single Mass Effect related thread devolves into the same tired debate with the same arguments that have been thrown back and forth a billion times over in the Mass Effect 2 OT.

If people want to keep ranting and raving, either create a new topic or go into the OT. The derailing is annoying.

IM ANGGRRRYYYYYY.

No one is derailing. Stop whining about what people can or cannot discuss in a thread. If you don't want to participate in the discussion you don't have to.

EatChildren

duckroll said:
No one is derailing. Stop whining about what people can or cannot discuss in a thread. If you don't want to participate in the discussion you don't have to.

Duly noted for future threads, duckroll.

Foil

Interactive comic? Really now? lol...

TTP said:
Same. Shitty frame rate is what has kept me away from this franchise. I have the feeling the PS3 version will just run worse.

I think a dodgy framerate and awful aliasing are givens for this PS3 port. Happens way too often for me to think otherwise. I have no faith in them getting this port on par with the 360 version, let alone doing anything to enhance the experience. Hopefully they prove me wrong, but I'm not holding my breath.

ME1 had framerate issues, but ME2 ran very well.

duckroll

Foil said:
Interactive comic? Really now? lol...

I dunno, I'm honestly really interested in this. I would honestly be willing to pay 2-3 bucks to have this on PC so I can generate ME1 clear saves the way I want without having to replay the game!

I think a dodgy framerate and awful aliasing are givens for this PS3 port. Happens way too often for me to think otherwise. I have no faith in them getting this port on par with the 360 version, let alone doing anything to enhance the experience. Hopefully they prove me wrong, but I'm not holding my breath.

ME1 had framerate issues, but ME2 ran very well.

Probably. It's a UE3 game originally designed for 360 and PC being ported to PS3. If it turns out good, it'll be an exception to the usual rule.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
duckroll said:
I dunno, I'm honestly really interested in this. I would honestly be willing to pay 2-3 bucks to have this on PC so I can generate ME1 clear saves the way I want without having to replay the game!

I agree here. Maybe it'll be part of an eventual GotY Edition.

duckroll

Also, to understand my desire for a fucking interactive comic, and my distaste for the overall quality of ME1, you gotta understand that I beat it on the 360, and then I bought the PC version for like 5 bucks and replayed it (including all the side quests) before ME2 so I have a specific clear save to import with all my tailor made roleplaying choices.

ME's world is really good, and the characters and scenario are above average for Bioware, but the gameplay and the repetitiveness of the side quests are HORRENDOUS. I honestly never want to replay ME1 again. :(

EatChildren

If there must be some PlayStation 3 exclusive bullshit then I hope its the comic. As much as I'd like to try it out, I'd prefer to get the new six hour mission pack over that.

Otherwise, as said earlier in the thread, I wouldn't be surprised if the PS3 build is basically the 'Game of the Year' build.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
duckroll said:
Also, to understand my desire for a fucking interactive comic, and my distaste for the overall quality of ME1, you gotta understand that I beat it on the 360, and then I bought the PC version for like 5 bucks and replayed it (including all the side quests) before ME2 so I have a specific clear save to import with all my tailor made roleplaying choices.

ME's world is really good, and the characters and scenario are above average for Bioware, but the gameplay and the repetitiveness of the side quests are HORRENDOUS. I honestly never want to replay ME1 again. :(

To be honest, they could make an interactive comic for ME1 and ME2 to prep for ME3 and I'd be perfectly fine with that. Both games suffer from their own specific problems.

Of course on the PC at least you can edit the ME1 export files to have the perfect import character for ME2.

duckroll

EatChildren said:
If there must be some PlayStation 3 exclusive bullshit then I hope its the comic. As much as I'd like to try it out, I'd prefer to get the new six hour mission pack over that.

Otherwise, as said earlier in the thread, I wouldn't be surprised if the PS3 build is basically the 'Game of the Year' build.

I honestly don't see anything in the PS3 version being exclusive at all in the long run. Maybe the comic, but even then I think Bioware will try to sell it later on. They love microtransactions. I agree though, if there is anything exclusive, let it be the comic. It would be silly to have significant game content exclusive to any platform in a multiplatform game, much more so in a year old port.

firehawk12 said:
To be honest, they could make an interactive comic for ME1 and ME2 to prep for ME3 and I'd be perfectly fine with that. Both games suffer from their own specific problems.

Of course on the PC at least you can edit the ME1 export files to have the perfect import character for ME2.

You can? Shit I need to learn how to do this! I would really much rather replay ME2 than ME1. While it is still flawed, at least the basic mechanics (the shooting mostly) are much more fun for me.

Peff

I think if they were going to have something that big (because even with the usual bloated amount of hours it should still be pretty long) as an exclusive extra for the PS3 version it would have been touted a lot more. Yet we find out two months from release and with a statement that doesn't mention exclusivity either. It's most likely going to come out on the three platforms.

EatChildren

duckroll said:
I honestly don't see anything in the PS3 version being exclusive at all in the long run. Maybe the comic, but even then I think Bioware will try to sell it later on. They love microtransactions. I agree though, if there is anything exclusive, let it be the comic. It would be silly to have significant game content exclusive to any platform in a multiplatform game, much more so in a year old port.

Alternatively, the 'six hour mission' could be exclusively bundled with the PS3 build, yet kept out of a GOTY version for the Xbox 360 and PC, instead sold seperately. That way the GOTY version there would still get the interactive comic, as well as the all the DLC technically released up until that point.

Assuming anything is exclusive at all, like you said.

duckroll

DeathNote said:
I can't buy or play this without playing the first. Personally. How is the windows port of 1?

The PC version of Mass Effect 1 is the best version of Mass Effect 1. But if you're going to play the PC version of ME1, you might as well play the PC version of ME2 as well. So...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
duckroll said:
You can? Shit I need to learn how to do this! I would really much rather replay ME2 than ME1. While it is still flawed, at least the basic mechanics (the shooting mostly) are much more fun for me.

Yeah, I seem to remember being able to go into a file and look at the flags that the game itself would check for. I'm not sure if it was just a viewer or a full blown editor though.

miladesn said:
http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Save_File_Transfer

Ctrl+F "editor", you'll find what you want and links.

Well there ya go. :lol

duckroll

Well, to clarify, I thought it would be an editor for a ME1 clear save. Ideally I would like to be able to replay ME2 from the start (by importing a clear save) but with the clear save having certain different variables.

Top Bottom