• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 PS3 details ("exclusive" interactive comic, all current DLC included)

Massa said:
That's not always true for UE3 anymore, I think Batman ran a little better on PS3 (at least the camera was better). For most games there's no difference and ME2 will have the benefit of coming out a year later (which may mean nothing, of course).

Also, Bioware's only PS3 release is considered by many to be better than the 360 version, so not sure what your "especially Bioware" comment is hinting at.

Yes it is and yes, Batman still ran better on the 360 with extra graphical effects. There's always a difference, sometimes its small (Batman) but often its large, even in recent games (Enslaved).

The only thing Dragon Age on PS3 had over the 360 version was anisotropic filtering, shame the framerate was nearly cut in half making it nigh on unplayable.

The PS3 version of ME2 will be the worst technically, and any content being exclusively tied to that version would be tragic.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Peff said:
I think if they were going to have something that big (because even with the usual bloated amount of hours it should still be pretty long) as an exclusive extra for the PS3 version it would have been touted a lot more. Yet we find out two months from release and with a statement that doesn't mention exclusivity either. It's most likely going to come out on the three platforms.

It has to be for all 3, it makes absolutely no sense for Sony to spend the kind of money they would need to for an exclusive that would only net them a few thousand sales at best. Theres no sales to steal, anyone with a 360 or capable PC that was interested in ME2 has it and only an extremely marginal amount of people who already have the game on one platform and also have a PS3 would be willing to fork over another 60 bucks to double dip and the get the DLC early.

It would be a complete waste of money for Sony and a huge loss of profit opportunity for Bioware cause theyd piss off so many people making it exclusive so 6 months or so down the road a lot of people wont even bother to get it since they were pissed at Bioware and probably lost interest in going back to the game. Their best move would be to release it for all 3 at once and promote the DLC on the back of reviews and press for the release of the PS3 version.

DeathNote said:
I can't buy or play this without playing the first. Personally. How is the windows port of 1?

It's mostly excellent. A few texture bugs here and there, and probably a couple other things I'm not thinking of.

It has a somewhat better inventory system, better squad control, and of course: 60fps 1080p.

Elevator times are still much longer than they need to be though.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
duckroll said:
The PC version of Mass Effect 1 is the best version of Mass Effect 1. But if you're going to play the PC version of ME1, you might as well play the PC version of ME2 as well. So...
Oh, it exists too? Excellent.

DeathNote said:
I can't buy or play this without playing the first. Personally. How is the windows port of 1?

If you've got a PC capable of playing Mass Effect 1 then you've got no reason to wait for an inferior port of ME2 on the PS3 unless there really is major exclusive content. ME2 has better performance than ME1 so if you can run the original, you can run the sequel and it'll probably cost you all of $20. I'd be shocked if it isn't part of the Steam holiday sale.

squicken

PC version doesn't support the 360 controller, so you'll have to choose between visuals and laying down on your comfy couch as you play.

Pooya

duckroll said:
Well, to clarify, I thought it would be an editor for a ME1 clear save. Ideally I would like to be able to replay ME2 from the start (by importing a clear save) but with the clear save having certain different variables.
Did you check that editor? there is nothing you can't edit with it, it basically changes the values and flags from imported ME1 save file in your ME2 save, you can make a new save file from scratch too :p.

http://www.abload.de/img/capturetq2o.jpg <- ME1 spoilers.
[IMG]http://www.abload.de/img/capture1qsis.jpg

duckroll

miladesn said:
Did you check that editor? there is nothing you can't edit with it, it basically changes the values and flags from imported ME1 save file in your ME2 save, you can make new a save file from scratch too :p.

Yes, I understand that, but I would prefer to start ME2 by importing a save rather than editing the ME2 save after starting a new game. That way the role playing experience is intact right from the start of ME2 (including the opening text crawl). I'm just weird like that. :(

Paracelsus

Enduin said:
It would be a complete waste of money for Sony and a huge loss of profit opportunity for Bioware cause theyd piss off so many people making it exclusive so 6 months or so down the road a lot of people wont even bother to get it since they were pissed at Bioware and probably lost interest in going back to the game. Their best move would be to release it for all 3 at once and promote the DLC on the back of reviews and press for the release of the PS3 version.

Sony? When it's a late port it's only in the publisher's interest to make the game appealing even being an old game at full price.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Paracelsus said:
Sony? When it's a late port it's only in the publisher's interest to make the game appealing even being an old game at full price.

All the more reason for there not to be an exclusive then. It just doesnt make sense. Theyd be doing more harm than good.

Pooya

duckroll said:
Yes, I understand that, but I would prefer to start ME2 by importing a save rather than editing the ME2 save after starting a new game. That way the role playing experience is intact right from the start of ME2 (including the opening text crawl). I'm just weird like that. :(
but I think you can do that too, New-> New Male/female -> set everything you want -> save, you don't need to open a pre-existing save file with this, I assume this save starts from the beginning, I have to try it first to make sure.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
duckroll said:

Edit an end game ME2 save and then re-import that one?

[Nintex]

ME2 PC was the first BioWare game I played from start to finish and it's awesome. So many great characters and locales I was addicted to this game for weeks. I'm still thinking about playing ME1 as well when the holiday rush is over. You PS3 owners got lucky with the extra mission.

JWong

Banned
duckroll said:
I found a site with a bunch of ME1 saves for PC. I plucked out the one that perfectly fits what I did.

Kritz

Banned
squicken said:
PC version doesn't support the 360 controller, so you'll have to choose between visuals and laying down on your comfy couch as you play.

:|

360 controller support is nothing more than downloading a config file and putting it into the correct directory.

Mr_Elysia

For any potential PS3 Mass Effect 2 adopters out there: If you're not going to play the first: At least do yourself a favour and find a watchable "Let's Play" of the original before you generate from the comic or however it will work. You can probably skip a lot of the fluff in combat and exploration (inventory management) but it would be tragic to miss things like the conversation on Virmire. Or the end of Noveria.

My advice to you is, if at all possible or interested, play the first yourself.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Mr_Elysia said:
My advice to you is, if at all possible or interested, play the first yourself.

Listen to the soundtrack as well, it's fuckin great and ME2 was a bit of a let down in that department.

jett

D-Member
duckroll said:
No one is derailing. Stop whining about what people can or cannot discuss in a thread. If you don't want to participate in the discussion you don't have to.

charlequin said:
This ain't the thread to bitch about ME's writing or argue about ME1 vs. ME2, brahs.

I am conflicted!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
you guys should just have a separate forum called 'The Suggestion Box' where we can drop off advice/suggestion/criticisms regarding moderation policy, then we won't have to do it in unrelated threads!

joking, no ban[/spoiler

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Mr_Elysia said:
Listen guys this isn't the thread for this.......

pUKYN.jpg

Don't tell me what I can't do!

There isn't really much else to talk about in regards to the PS3 version. We're just waitin on the details, bro.

Mr_Elysia

Snuggler said:
There isn't really much else to talk about in regards to the PS3 version. We're just waitin on the details, bro.

Yeah I really couldn't care less what people talk about it was just a tie-in to the argument at hand.

Seda

As a Mass Effect junkie who's purchased all of the DLC for ME2, prepared 3 100% completed characters from me1 through me2 for me3, i really really hope the 6 hour mission thing comes out as DLC.

I mean, I have a PS3, but would really be a dick move to keep that exclusive.

TheUsual

Gold Member
mckmas8808 said:
How long is the gameplay? I'm thinking of playing my first RPG in like 7 years. :lol

Took me about 35 on my first playthrough. Did two of them in a week and a half timespan. Haven't played a game back-to-back since RE4. ME2 was too much damn fun.

onken

Seda said:
As a Mass Effect junkie who's purchased all of the DLC for ME2, prepared 3 100% completed characters from me1 through me2 for me3, i really really hope the 6 hour mission thing comes out as DLC.

I mean, I have a PS3, but would really be a dick move to keep that exclusive.

Totally, I'd be fuming if it was the other way around (Case West :sadface:). I hate this exclusive DLC bullshit.

Kittonwy

Banned
Enduin said:
It has to be for all 3, it makes absolutely no sense for Sony to spend the kind of money they would need to for an exclusive that would only net them a few thousand sales at best. Theres no sales to steal, anyone with a 360 or capable PC that was interested in ME2 has it and only an extremely marginal amount of people who already have the game on one platform and also have a PS3 would be willing to fork over another 60 bucks to double dip and the get the DLC early.

Sony probably didn't have to do anything to get the "exclusive", the bottomline is that EA wants more people to buy ME games. And it's not even a big deal, it's just some shitty extra mission, ME2 isn't new anymore, if EA wants to expand the userbase for the IP, they need to sweeten the deal, which is what they're doing.

On the other hand they're not stupid enough that they would spend money on new content that they're not going to milk every cent out of, it's likely they're going to release the same shit on the 360 and PC just to take in a few more bucks down the line. No need to get so worked up about it.

duckroll

AAK said:
Shouldn't a mod change the thread title to start with RUMOR: .... ?

A German moderator on the Bioware boards posted that the information was from Casey Hudson in a Mass Effect 2 preview in the print edition of the latest issue of Play3, a German gaming magazine.

JWong

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
No, ME2 was a decent shooter.

ME's shooting was balls.
Yeah, I love ME2 shooting for sniping. It made me feel overpowered.

Huge improvement over ME1's dice roll shooting crap.

Jerk

Banned
duckroll said:
A German moderator on the Bioware boards posted that the information was from Casey Hudson in a Mass Effect 2 preview in the print edition of the latest issue of Play3, a German gaming magazine.

Clearly not legitimate enough.

Hydrargyrus

duckroll said:

But that was on the German bioware forums or only that he's a German moderator -in the english forums-?

HamPster PamPster said:
I wonder if the comic has a male and female version

Maybe they never show Shepard in the comic, that way they don't have to worry about if you're playing man or woman, default face or customized. First person like a visual novel, lol.

Zep

Banned
squicken said:

I must have been dreaming when playing 25+ hours with my PS3 controller..

iratA

brain_stew said:
Yes it is and yes, Batman still ran better on the 360 with extra graphical effects. There's always a difference, sometimes its small (Batman) but often its large, even in recent games (Enslaved).

The only thing Dragon Age on PS3 had over the 360 version was anisotropic filtering, shame the framerate was nearly cut in half making it nigh on unplayable.

The PS3 version of ME2 will be the worst technically, and any content being exclusively tied to that version would be tragic.

Some choice bits I like in here:

"Dragon Age PS3 was nigh on unplayable because of its framerate".
News to me, I finished it and the game and it was more than 'playable' from start to finish.

"The PS3 version of ME2 will be the worst technically".
Wow... crystal ball stuff here. Didn't know the future was so certain. Let me make a prediction... ME2 will be unplayable... right right?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Dragon Age PS3 framerate was rough but I played it until the end regardless. It was playable, but it would be unacceptable for Bioware to release anything else on the system that isn't a significant technical improvement. Rather than defending mediocracy, you should be demanding competence. I expect much a much better port with both ME2 and Dragon Age 2.

ME2 PS3 better be at least as solid as the 360 port, UE3 has a poor history with the system but it would be a major shame if they release a poorly optimized game on PS3 this long after it launched.

iratA

Snuggler said:
Dragon Age PS3 framerate was rough but I played it until the end regardless. It was playable, but it would be unacceptable for Bioware to release anything else on the system that isn't a significant technical improvement. Rather than defending mediocracy, you should be demanding competence. I expect much a much better port with both ME2 and Dragon Age 2.

ME2 PS3 better be at least as solid as the 360 port, UE3 has a poor history with the system but it would be a major shame if they release a poorly optimized game on PS3 this long after it launched.

I'm not defending mediocracy. Really I'm not. I feel that UE3 games on PS3 do by in large get the job done though. What I can't grasp is when people focus on the visuals to the exclusion of all else that the game offers. ME2 has recieved such critical acclaim and I'm just excited I'll finally get to play it on my system of choice. :D

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
iratA said:
I'm not defending mediocracy. Really I'm not. I feel that UE3 games on PS3 do by in large get the job done though. What I can't grasp is when people focus on the visuals to the exclusion of all else that the game offers. ME2 has recieved such critical acclaim and I'm just excited I'll finally get to play it on my system of choice. :D

I get what you mean, but I'm just saying that it could and should be much better. This far into the gen, there is no excuse for shoddy ports with lousy framerates. I'm pretty forgiving of tech problems and I'm glad that Bioware is finally on board with PS3 but I probably won't continue to buy their games on the system unless they can prove that they're capable of releasing a much better product than DA: Origins.

The core game was still good, but it was a poor port. I didn't look good, it didn't run good, we should be able to expect much better than that. Maybe it's just wishful thinking but I'd like to see us see solid ports on the PS3 rather than the guaranteed lesser versions that we're accustomed to.

iratA

More than anything I wish these devs would add the DLC stuff to the discs. Codes are a big turn off to me. Didn't get the Borderlands GOTY version because of it and as far as I know the Dragon Age Ultimate version uses codes and downloads for all of its extras.

That makes two ultimate/goty versions that I would of purchased if not for this. I know a heap of other people both personally and online who feel the same way also. For F#*k sake use the space on the Blu-ray.

Sotha Sil

iratA said:
More than anything I wish these devs would add the DLC stuff to the discs. Codes are a big turn off to me. Didn't get the Borderlands GOTY version because of it and as far as I know the Dragon Age Ultimate version uses codes and downloads for all of its extras.

That makes two ultimate/goty versions that I would of purchased if not for this. I know a heap of other people both personally and online who feel the same way also. For F#*k sake use the space on the Blu-ray.

A thousand times this.

Top Bottom