• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 PS3 details ("exclusive" interactive comic, all current DLC included)

Hydrargyrus

EatChildren said:
All info is in the Op.

Comic is 'exclusive', to the downloaded via the Cerberus Network for free (if you own the game new). I say 'exclusive' as its worded as 'initial release', which implies that the comic will be made available elsewhere later on.

There will also be 'exclusive' DLC packs, but these packs will contain content that was available for Xbox 360 and PC. For example, the Dr. Pepper promotion code items are no longer available, but were available. This content looks to be re-released in new packs, such as the 'Recon Operations Pack'.

So, in short, the comic is the only truly exclusive item, and even then it wont be exclusive forever.

Wait wait, is not the comic included on the disc??

I have to think the things with more time, but I believe that I won't buy the game, even knowing that I really want this game, only for the disappointment that I have now

I'm not trolling and at no given time I want to offend with my opinion

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Hydrargyrus said:
Wait wait, is not the comic included on the disc??

Jesse's post says;

This interactive comic's initial release will be exclusive to PS3 owners who would be otherwise unable to realize the full effect of choice in the Mass Effect universe and will be included on the Cerberus Network.

So yeah, I'd say the comic will require a download and wont be on the disk.

None of the Cerberus stuff is on the disk either.

Hydrargyrus

EatChildren said:
Jesse's post says;

So yeah, I'd say the comic will require a download and wont be on the disk.

None of the Cerberus stuff is on the disk either.

Thank you and sorry, I don't really know what cerberus network is... is for this I was asking for the disc content

duckroll

Hydrargyrus said:
Thank you and sorry, I don't really know what cerberus network is... is for this I was asking for the disc content

Cerberus Network is a unlock code included in all new copies of Mass Effect, with a one time activation on the user's account. It gives the user access to free DLC for Mass Effect.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Hydrargyrus said:

Every new copy of Mass Effect 2 for PC and Xbox 360 comes with a unique 'Cerberus Network' code. You can register that code with BioWare, and with it download a bunch of DLC packs for free (such as the character Zaeed and his mission, new shotgun, new armor, etc). Its only packaged in new copies of the game, and thus is a means of discouraging sales of used versions, as people who buy used would need to pay ~$15 to get a new Cerberus Network code.

The comic will be on the Cerberus Network, so you'll have to download it. It will be free if you buy the game new, but if you buy the game used you wont have access to the Cerberus Network, and thus wont be able to play/view the comic.

EDIT: What duckroll said, without the long-windedness.

dralla said:
I expect all PS3 players will avoid robot shepard and join the femshep army

2rypwrq.gif

dralla said:
I expect all PS3 players will avoid robot shepard and join the femshep army

If they want quality VA that is.

Sickboy007 said:

I will not.

EDIT: ok that gets the laugh out of me every time :lol

Hydrargyrus said:
I was believing that the cerberus network was something good, something like a library of the ME universe... :lol :lol

The library (codex) is in game. And it is good.

EatChildren

Hydrargyrus said:
I was believing that the cerberus network was something good, something like a library of the ME universe... :lol :lol

Well, there's an in-game Codex, which is pretty much that ;).

iratA

Firstly... Thanks to EatChildren for the that post from Bioware.

Ok so it sounds that bioware are using the Blu-ray to include some extras on the disc, which ticks one of my boxes for purchase. :D

Now all I need to know is what the hell is Kasumi, Overlord and Shadow Broker? Are they all extra side missions? Are they substantial add-ons to the experience or are they just costumes and such.

Hydrargyrus said:
So, only the comic is exclusive?
And the comic is confirmed, isn't it?

oh man... I'm very disappointed

Why?

You get to play one of the best games of this year with all of the (mostly) excellent DLC included in the package at no extra cost.

stupei

iratA said:
Firstly... Thanks to EatChildren for the that post from Bioware.

Ok so it sounds that bioware are using the Blu-ray to include some extras on the disc, which ticks one of my boxes for purchase. :D

Now all I need to know is what the hell is Kasumi, Overlord and Shadow Broker? Are they all extra side missions? Are they substantial add-ons to the experience or are they just costumes and such.

They're DLC sidequests. Kasumi and Overlord are both solid enough but Shadow Broker is absolutely great.

Though I'm not sure honestly if it would have as much of an impact for someone who hasn't played ME1. One aspect of its greatness is how many pitch perfect references there are to the first game. It also ties up some loose story threads in ME2 itself and seems to hint at what's to come in ME3, so it adds a lot to the story overall.

EatChildren

iratA said:

What stupei said.

Kasumi is another character to recruit, her loyalty mission, and a new SMG. Her mission is short, but really fun, and the SMG is great. Because she's part of the whole 'recruit characters rarr rarr' plot she works much better for characters who are starting new, as you can continue to use her for the rest of the game.

Overlord is a side story you can do at any point. It doesnt really tie into the main plot, so its basically a sidequest. Quite fun though and a nice distraction.

Lair of the Shadow Broker, like Overlord, can be played at any point. However, it deals with a character from the first game, and as a stand-alone story works better if played post endgame. There's zero punishment for playing it while you're still playing the main story, but it 'feels' better as an extension, in my opinion.

EatChildren said:
Kasumi is another character to recruit, her loyalty mission, and a new SMG. Her mission is short, but really fun, and the SMG is great. Because she's part of the whole 'recruit characters rarr rarr' plot she works much better for characters who are starting new, as you can continue to use her for the rest of the game.

I started a new game to recruit her but I kind of lost interest after I did the mission since I had just played ME1 and ME2 back to back 3 times in a row. Is it true that she's actually one of, if not the best squad member?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
jim-jam bongs said:
I started a new game to recruit her but I kind of lost interest after I did the mission since I had just played ME1 and ME2 back to back 3 times in a row. Is it true that she's actually one of, if not the best squad member?
Dat ass.

EatChildren

jim-jam bongs said:

I think she's one of the best. Her cloak attack is very useful, not just for the damage it does but also for knocking down enemies. She can hold her own, and makes pretty good use of the SMGs.

Stallion Free said:

Also, this.

Cels

jim-jam bongs said:

Miranda is the best squad member because of her passive boost to the squad. But Kasumi has Flashbang, which is probably the best crowd-control skill in the game.

iratA

:OOO that all sounds quite nice actually. Having add-on content like this on the disc is perfect. Shame the comic couldn't be added on there becasue getting online and downloading that will be the first thing I'll have to do.

Thanks for the heads-up though I'll do shadow broker after I finish the main story.

EatChildren

iratA said:
Did Kasumi, Overlord and Shadow Broker add extra achievements?

Yes.

Kasumi: 1
Overlord: 2
Shadow Broker: 5

Zaeed from the Cerberus Network also adds 1.

FoeHammer

Nice clarification there, I was beginning to think I was going to have to buy this again.

Anyways good news for the PS3 only guys, this and the first Mass Effect are some of the best gaming times I've had. Bioware makes exactly the types of games I dig, and I've loved every one of theirs so far.

iratA

For those who have finished both Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2:

Which game would you say is better in terms of polish and/or cinematic feel? Oh and I hope ME2 has a better ending than Dragon Age. :(

EatChildren

iratA said:

Which game would you say is better in terms of polish and/or cinematic feel? Oh and I hope ME2 has a better ending than Dragon Age. :(

Mass Effect 2 is more 'cinematic' than Dragon Age thanks to Shepard actually being voiced, and what I consider higher production values in the conversations and animations. The polish of presentation is definitely strongest in Mass Effect 2.

Mass Effect 2's ending is weak compared to the first, and may or may not satisfy you. You're opening a can of worms regarding Mass Effect 2's story (or lack thereof), as some people feel more burned by ME2's story issues than others.

The general consensus seems to be that Mass Effect 2 has better character writing and stronger individual stories, but a far weaker main story, especially in comparison to the first game.

It 'ends' fine, but really feels like the middle of a trilogy.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
iratA said:

ME2 is more cinematic and polished.

iratA said:

Mass Effect is definitely more cinematic. I thought both games felt very polished, however I only played Dragon Age on PC. I've heard the console version had some issues. ME2's ending isn't particularly great especially compared to the original's ending but it is the middle chapter of a trilogy.

Edit: Pretty much what EatChildren said.

hermit7

I am interested to see if the comic has only one variation of both the male and female. I would expect that they wouldn't have the resources to customizable Shepards but it would be a nice touch.

I just finished Lair of the Shadow Broker, which is really great and realized that actually being able to play all the additional content on a first play through would be definitely a silver lining to all those that are late to the party.

Rubezh

AwRy108 said:
Please, please, PLEASE don't f*ck up the port to PS3 (I'm looking at you, Orange Box!).

What does EA or Valve have to do with this? Bioware is internally developing the PS3 version.

Synless

Rubezh said:
What does EA or Valve have to do with this? Bioware is internally developing the PS3 version.
It's still a port running on UE3. I highly doubt it will run better on PS3. No UE3 game has to this day.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Acidote said:
So the 6 hours of DLC meant the sum of all the already released DLC?

http://imgur.com/sD869.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Yup, already confirmed by a dev. The only thing "exclusive" is the interactive ME comic which will let you make some of the choices from ME and allows you to carry them over to ME2. The description they gave for the interactive comic made it seem like it was only time exclusive and it'll eventually come out for the PC/360.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Snuggler said:
I'm trying to find a good excuse to buy this again on PS3, but I guess Q1 will have me busy with plenty of other games. If I didn't already buy all the ME2 dlc on 360 I'd consider it. I'm curious about these supposed visual changes/upgrades.

oh well, maybe my 360 will die or something

be careful what you wish for... :|

so I'm officially on board for this, will definitely get day one for my PS3. I'll be ready for a replay by then anyways.

Top Bottom