• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 PS3 releasing on Jan. 18 (NA) and Jan. 21 (EU) | Demo Dec. 22

Status
Not open for further replies.

mokeyjoe

AgentOtaku said:
Tried so damn hard for a decent femshep with ME1

..it's impossible, it really is.

Default male is permenately tied to the franchise with me at this point.

This is your Shepard!

I really like my Shepards, I took a good while tweaking them. pics from ME1 (phonecam shitty quality).

DSC00087-1.jpg

DSCF2410.jpg

onken

I spent ages trying to make a vaguely decent male-shep back in ME1, in the end I just gave up and went with default custom guy with brown hair (not default default, that guy looks like a freak). Trying to play as anyone else just feels weird, he IS Shepard for me now.

LiK

onken said:
I spent ages trying to make a vaguely decent male-shep back in ME1, in the end I just gave up and went with default custom guy with brown hair (not default default, that guy looks like a freak). Trying to play as anyone else just feels weird, he IS Shepard for me now.

i remember a thread somewhere of some wild-looking crazy Sheps. it was a horror show. :lol

Chrange

Banned
IoCaster said:
I've played the game on both X360 and PC multiple times, but this thread prompted me to download and play the PS3 demo. From what I've played it seems like a competent port aside from a few graphical glitches here and there.

I have it on PC and 360 already, but grabbed the demo to see what the Mass Effect 3 engine was going to look like. I was pretty disappointed if this is the extent of it. In some ways it was better, mainly shadows, but it's also got some negatives - tearing, stuttering, etc... Just poorly optimized demo code, or is this what ME3 is going to be?

Violater said:
OT but where is your sig from?

*Assuming your talking about his avatar?*

Teaser vid for Kingdom Hearts 2 before the game was officially revealed.

Another game to add to the list guess (unless i finally get a good PC).

Violater

Infinite Justice said:
*Assuming your talking about his avatar?*

Teaser vid for Kingdom Hearts 2 before the game was officially revealed.

Another game to add to the list guess (unless i finally get a good PC).

Cool thanks and yes avatar ;)

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
After playing the demo I now have a hard time not thinking about this game. I neeeeeed to play it alot more. BioWare, don't be assholes, release it now. Mail me a copy!

chessnut

kinoki said:
After playing the demo I now have a hard time not thinking about this game. I neeeeeed to play it alot more. BioWare, don't be assholes, release it now. Mail me a copy!

i feel the same way! i've always found rpg's intimidating and avoided them, but i decided to check this demo out and its awesome!!!!!!

Mindlog

heringer said:
When do I unlock Warp with Vanguard?

Played as Sentinel and it was pretty fun too.

Please note that a *hardcore-insanity Vanguard may be the hardest class to play as. It is very very very easy to get killed after charging. The first time I played as a Vanguard was after I had beaten the game with my Infiltrator. I thought the Vanguard sucked. I had to go back and play Vanguard again to get the hang of it. The class defines high risk/high reward.

Sentinel is probably the easiest class. You'll never die after you get your tech armor up. Warp and Overlord means you'll be ready to deal with anything.

Archangel's recruitment mission is tougher than most of the end-game content (imo) :lol

ask away if you need any spoiler-free tips

*On normal and below you could casually stroll across a map spamming, Shockwave.

:lol EA is insane. I'm not feeling this game at all on PS3. I played ME2 on PC and it was pretty nice with the mouse and keyboard. It's a clunky mess and I'm seriously baffled that people are playing on 360/PS3 like this! The game looks great apart form the tearing in the opening custscenes...I was going to day 1 this since I never finished on PC. But at $59/$69 and with LBP2, DS2 and other titles in January as well as KZ3 in February...and school. I don't think it's worth it right now.

I love space and scifi(huge trek nerd) and was really looking forward to this. But after playing it and having to fight with the controls/using abilities of my allies, I'm going to wait for a pricedrop or buy used sometime before ME3. I really wanted to like this series but I'm not feeling it at all.

/2 cents

Zen

Banned
I wonder if EA was hoping "Big Xbox 360 exclusive comes to the PS3" would do all the work for them.

Uh, Bioware, this isn't how you want to go about building a fanbase on the PS3 for Mass Effect 3. :lol

Zero Marketing
High Price
Demo has iffy technical issues that may or may not be in the final product

Should be
Some marketing
Low price. Yes, yes, you get the DLC for free, who cares, you can still charge PS3 owners for your upcoming DLC that isn't out yet, and the goal here is to establish momentum for your real big seller, Mass Effect 3. You're going to kill ME2 PS3 sales AND hurt ME3 PS3 sales by having such unreasonable pricing and zero visibility in the market place for ME2 PS3.

Ploid 3.0

Good thing I'm not EA and I don't have any stake in EA. Since it seem like this series may be done at ME3 I can just take my time and wait for them on the cheap. Heck maybe get surprized with a one ps3 disk ME2+3 deal for $60, wait on that to be around $30-40 winwinwin.

Xamdou

Zen said:
I wonder if EA was hoping "Big Xbox 360 exclusive comes to the PS3" would do all the work for them.

Uh, Bioware, this isn't how you want to go about building a fanbase on the PS3 for Mass Effect 3. :lol

Zero Marketing
High Price
Demo has iffy technical issues that may or may not be in the final product

Should be
Some marketing
Low price. Yes, yes, you get the DLC for free, who cares, you can still charge PS3 owners for your upcoming DLC that isn't out yet, and the goal here is to establish momentum for your real big seller, Mass Effect 3. You're going to kill ME2 PS3 sales AND hurt ME3 PS3 sales by having such unreasonable pricing and zero visibility in the market place for ME2 PS3.

Why market a straight port of a game released a year ago?

Why release the game with a "lower price" when the game + DLC content is worth well over the MSRP?

Chrange

Banned
Truespeed said:
Killed before it even had a chance. $69.99 is bat shit ludicrous when the majority of new console games launch at $59.99.

23h3gu9.png

Except pretty much all EA games are $69.99 Canadian, so it's not exactly unexpected.

Zen

Banned
Xamdou said:
Why market a straight port of a game released a year ago?

Why release the game with a "lower price" when the game + DLC content is worth well over the MSRP?

1. Well it's more like a GotY edition than just a straight port.

But: So people know about it a bit more than just the hardcore. It doesn't have to be anything big. But otherwise it's a little silly to put all that work into it and release it at all except for the fact that Mass Effect 3 is coming.

2. So it actually sells, thereby creating momentum for Mass Effect 3 instead of seeing a Bio shock like situation.

Frankly the DLC isn't worth the asking price (never has been) and using that to stifle their potential sales on the system is a terrible business idea. They're still going to release one big DLC segment, at least, after the PS3 version and would have more customers to sell to with an initially lower MSRP.

Their handling of the product is basically short sighted and greedy, and a lot of potential PS3 owners taht would have bought at a lower price will probably wait to find some used copies now.

tzare

tried the demo and saw no really gain or loss compared to 360 version. Maybe smoke effect after firing was nicer. I may buy when cheap and then decide if ME3 goes to PS3 or 360

Lain

Downloaded the demo yesterday and started playing it a little while ago. The starting video, with its screen tearing, made me wonder why a recap was suffering from screen tearing.

The demo itself is interesting, and I thought I had made a female character that was pleasing enough to the eyes, but playing kinda makes me rethink that. Also the NPCs I'm meeting make the whole thing looks .... unappealing.

Lain said:
Downloaded the demo yesterday and started playing it a little while ago. The starting video, with its screen tearing, made me wonder why a recap was suffering from screen tearing.

The demo itself is interesting, and I thought I had made a female character that was pleasing enough to the eyes, but playing kinda makes me rethink that. Also the NPCs I'm meeting make the whole thing looks .... unappealing.

human faces always looked horrible in Mass Effect. textures unsharp or low res.
everything looks great from a distance.

Gameplay is really great though.

shwimpy

First PS3 review is in from a UK mag called GamesMaster.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=281890

They gave it a 93/100.

Issue 234 of the mag arrives on shelves today and gives Bioware's sci-fi RPG shooter 93 per cent, claiming that the PS3 version is the one to get over the Xbox 360 edition.

"Basically, if you've never played Mass Effect before, and you're lucky enough to own both a 360 and a PS3, then this is definitely the version to plump for," GM says.

"You don't miss out on the events of the first game, thanks to the interactive comic, and you've all the extras existing players have had access to.

"Frankly, there's never been a better time to surrender to the frightening pleasures of a future in which you have the power to make a real difference," GamesMaster concludes.

Never heard of this magazine before... is it run by Sony? :D

Kyoufu

Cruzader said:
same retail price...prolly $59.99USD.

Thats how PSP games that come out on both PSN/retail go by....

Eh......

I'll be able to get it cheaper from an online retailer in the UK then.

edit: I'm guessing UK PSN won't be seeing this. Oh well.

Cruzader

Banned
Kyoufu said:
Eh......

I'll be able to get it cheaper from an online retailer in the UK then.

edit: I'm guessing UK PSN won't be seeing this. Oh well.
Yea DD sucks on PSN for release date games.

Im getting the game for $30 since EA store had this thing where those who preordered MoH got this 50% off code since they removed a preorder bonus for that game...lol.

So who's running out to pick this up today? Is it going to be an early success high volume seller or is it going to get into the discount circuit in a weeks time?

xelios said:
Amazon now has a $20 credit on this and LBP2.

Thanks, I was going to head to Gamestop in 15 minutes but your post saved me $20 and a trip - already played it once and have release date delivery on LBP2 so why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom