• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 PS3 releasing on Jan. 18 (NA) and Jan. 21 (EU) | Demo Dec. 22

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Plenty of time for me to complete the official thread then. Good.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
^ Yes

Argh, same day as LittleBigPlanet 2.

I'll be buying this now that my 360 is gone, but with LBP2 out on the same day (and the fact that I've already played it), I'll have to wait on it.

oh well

Paracelsus

Yeah, stupid move on EA's part. PS3 owners already don't buy late ports on their own, plus you put the game next to an exclusive, let alone one of the few remaining million-seller platforms around.

Elios83

Paracelsus said:
Yeah, stupid move on EA's part. PS3 owners already don't buy late ports on their own, plus you put the game next to an exclusive, let alone one of the few remaining million-seller platforms around.

Mass Effect 2 on the PS3 was made just to prepare the ground for ME3 multiplatform. Then of course if they can ship an extra 500k copies of the game WW with low porting costs it wouldn't hurt them.

I hope this means a GOTY edition is coming for the PC that includes all the DLC. I built a PC recently and I don't want to buy all the DLC for ME2 again.

Strong chance of double dipping here. I've played none of the DLC. It does include all the DLC up until now right?

Also...
$59.99?

bbyybb

CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema
I never played the original since i don't have an 360. I wont be picking this up because i will be feeling like i will be missing too much of the story threads.

I remember reading when the second game was released on the 360 that there was story elements that were very different depending on what you did in the first game.

I feel that maybe i would be missing too much from the original to make the second game a really enjoyable experience.

For the people who have played the first and second are my thoughts unfounded? Does it really matter if i haven't played the original?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
bbyybb said:
I never played the original since i don't have an 360. I wont be picking this up because i will be feeling like i will be missing too much of the story threads.

I remember reading when the second game was released on the 360 that there was story elements that were very different depending on what you did in the first game.

I feel that maybe i would be missing too much from the original to make the second game a really enjoyable experience.

For the people who have played the first and second are my thoughts unfounded? Does it really matter if i haven't played the original?

Mass Effect 2 on the PS3 will come with an interactive motion comic that allows you to experience the main plot of the first game, make the major decisions, and have them carry across into your Mass Effect 2 play file.

Cels

MikeE21286 said:
Strong chance of double dipping here. I've played none of the DLC. It does include all the DLC up until now right?

Also...
$59.99?

Yup, that's what all the stores taking pre-orders have.

Xbox and PC versions sitting at $16 on Amazon. Am I missing something here, is PS3 getting $44 worth of DLC? :lol

Cels said:
Yup, that's what all the stores taking pre-orders have.

Xbox and PC versions sitting at $16 on Amazon. Am I missing something here, is PS3 getting $44 worth of DLC? :lol

Yeah, I saw it for $9 also :lol

I'll probably pass on this at $59.99 actually.

Guy Legend

They should release for less than $60 considering the game came out a year ago. If they don't, I'll wait. No doubt the price will fall relatively fast.

Kyoufu

I'm probably double dipping. Just be warned though that if I buy this on PS3 I will never have a reason to turn my 360 on ever again. :(

Cels

marathonfool said:
Reminds me of when PS3 Bioshock was released a year later. The price tanked very quickly.

I'm not saying the $60 price is justified (see my above post) but the Bioshock port didn't even include anything extra...it was just a straight port, even worse, a graphically inferior port. There was exclusive DLC later of course but it was paid, not on the disc.

Here, PS3 owners get all existing DLC plus a timed-exclusive comic. I think $40 would be fair. But $60? :lol

Cels said:
I'm not saying the $60 price is justified (see my above post) but the Bioshock port didn't even include anything extra...it was just a straight port, even worse, a graphically inferior port. There was exclusive DLC later of course but it was paid, not on the disc.

Here, PS3 owners get all existing DLC plus a timed-exclusive comic. I think $40 would be fair. But $60? :lol

I think that the $60 is justified given the extra content. The problem is that it's still a year old port. So, even if it is justified that doesn't change that many people feel that they shouldn't be paying $60 for something that came out a year ago.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Kyoufu said:
I'm probably double dipping. Just be warned though that if I buy this on PS3 I will never have a reason to turn my 360 on ever again. :(

I sort of fall into this as well as mass effect 2 is the only game i have in my 360 when i turn it on and when i turn it off.

acevans2

The hype for new games will draw me to them over this come release date, but I'll definitely pick it up when I see a sale/price drop.

Owzers

MikeE21286 said:

Also...
$59.99?

Me too, if Kmart has a deal on this i'll get it at launch PRESUMING the port/version doesn't blow......it won't blow right? right?

I need to get prepped for conversion, if Mass Effect 3 has multiplayer than i'm definitely switching to PS3 for the free onilne...unless the version sucks.

Cels

SolidSnakex said:
I think that the $60 is justified given the extra content. The problem is that it's still a year old port. So, even if it is justified that doesn't change that many people feel that they shouldn't be paying $60 for something that came out a year ago.

If you wanted to buy all the DLC, you pay 2560 MSP:
Alternate Appearance, Equalizer, Aegis, Firepower packs at 160 each, Kasumi and Overlord at 560 each, Shadow Broker at 800.

$1 = 80 MSP, so you pay 2560/80 = $32.

You can buy ME2 right now on 360 or PC for $16 at Amazon, maybe even lower at other places.

$16+32 = $48.

So what do PS3 owners get for their extra $12 that they couldn't have gotten on PC/Xbox? A comic.

Plus, no one knows how the game will perform on a technical level, considering the heightened difficulty of using Unreal Engine 3 on PS3. Maybe it will look better and run smoother; we can only hope. But if I had to bet, I would bet that the PS3 version will be at least slightly inferior to the Xbox version -- just look at the history of multiplatform Unreal Engine 3 games.

Foil

Let's just hope they don't screw up the PS3 port. It happens far too often with multiplatform games on the PS3. If this is atleast on par with the 360 version (framerate, resolution, aliasing, overall visuals), then I'll likely double dip. If not, then they can keep it.

Cels

Foil said:
Let's just hope they don't screw up the PS3 port. It happens far too often with multiplatform games on the PS3. If this is atleast on par with the 360 version (framerate, resolution, aliasing, overall visuals), then I'll likely double dip. If not, then they can keep it.

idk what you meant here but 360 version did not have any anti-aliasing at all from what i remember

belvedere

Junior Butler
Enjoyed the series on PC, but am curious to see how the game is running on PS3.

Are there no previews/impressions?

Cels said:
If you wanted to buy all the DLC, you pay 2560 MSP:
Alternate Appearance, Equalizer, Aegis, Firepower packs at 160 each, Kasumi and Overlord at 560 each, Shadow Broker at 800.

$1 = 80 MSP, so you pay 2560/80 = $32.

You can buy ME2 right now on 360 or PC for $16 at Amazon, maybe even lower at other places.

$16+32 = $48.

So what do PS3 owners get for their extra $12 that they couldn't have gotten on PC/Xbox? A comic.

I get what you're saying, but EA is selling ME2 for $20 right now. That would make it $52 with all the additional content. Throw in the comic and that'll probably up the price to at least $57. So, I still think that the price makes sense considering the content (although I agree that it won't sell). People are suggesting $40, but I don't think that it would even sell at that amount. Early next year is packed. LBP2 is coming out on the same day as ME2 and Dead Space 2 will come out the following week.

Truespeed

Has any game that's been released a year later on another platform done well? I can't think of any, but several bombs come to mind. I realize they're including all the DLC and trying to add some additional content, but even they should know a 1 year old game just isn't going to sell very well.

Cels

Truespeed said:
Has any game that's been released a year later on another platform done well? I can't think of any, but several bombs come to mind. I realize they're including all the DLC and trying to add some additional content, but even they should know a 1 year old game just isn't going to sell very well.

RE4 PS2 did better than the GCN version, and the Wii edition did pretty well too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom