• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 PS3 releasing on Jan. 18 (NA) and Jan. 21 (EU) | Demo Dec. 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jerk 2.0 said:
You exaggerate. This year saw a metric tonne of good games.

I beg to differ. Think about how much crap comes out every year. Mass Effect 2 is easily in the top 5% for me.

The point is so subjective, as to be impossible for us to argue without it devolving into a Metacritic battle,
which I do not want

Huggers

I gave up on the first one. I liked elements of it but found the world to be empty and just became uninterested. Is the second a waste of time for me? Or are there changes enough to give it a try

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Huggers said:
I gave up on the first one. I liked elements of it but found the world to be empty and just became uninterested. Is the second a waste of time for me? Or are there changes enough to give it a try
Second one is much more tight knit. Not a lot of huge open empty spaces or a heavy reuse of assets.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
miladesn said:

if it run good , I think I will buy it instead of waiting for the Ultimate Edition for my 360 version , since I can't download big DLCs thank to my ISP 15GB ( not joke ) bandwidth limit :lol

EA failed to mention the content of the demo. We're checking now.

the crazy awesome intro and first mission can really sell the game for many people on PS3, hope they put that in the demo and not some random section were the player will not know what going on.

StateofMind said:
Doesn't ME2 suck? From fan reactions to how Bioware has been behaving lately, I'd rather enter the series at the first game. :/

The concept of the series itself is something that I think I could really get into though.

ME2 is my personal game of the year and when Gaf's GOTY voting happens, you'll see many other people that feel the same way. Most of the complaints are valid but the game is still amazing. Playing the first game is a great idea, though, it is incredible even if it is a little rough around the edges. Play the PC version of the original, if you can. The console version performs poorly and is just more clunky.

Owzers

Huggers said:

I'd give it a try, you don't waste time exploring empty planets...though they added a "mining" minigame that is boring but takes less time. You just move a cursor over a planet and extract deposits of minerals. Hopefully in Mass Effect 3 Bioware will just drop it altogether, it was another failed idea of "variety"

Nizz

Awesome news about the demo. Same day that the Dead Space 2 demo drops. :D I'm really anxious to see how the port turns out. I don't own a 360 and Mass Effect is one franchise I've always wanted to try out.

Hopefully it's great. UE3 when in the right hands can turn out great on PS3. Fingers crossed...

Grisby

Man, you PS3 owners are in for treat. ME2 is one of the best, if not the best, games of the year. The action, graphics, and characters really sell a great experience in a very well fleshed out universe. It's also genuinely funny, one of the few games I can actually give that compliment to. I wish they could have put the first one in there as well as they easily could have the space.

I've already played through two twice on the 360 and I'll probably pick up the triple down the road for cheap. I want to see what they do with that interactive comic.

Ricker

I don`t understand people complaining about the game being 60 bucks,especially with all the DLC and the ME1 recap and all...I might double dip also at that price,do a completly different character and class,etc etc,even though I finished and got most of the DLC during the year...the game is not even 1 year old and is awesome,60 bucks for those who never played it is a steal :p :D

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
purple cobra said:
Hopefully it's great. UE3 when in the right hands can turn out great on PS3. Fingers crossed...

it's just funny that best UE3 ports on PS3 are by small studios 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand by Swordfish Studios and Singularity/X-Men Origins: Wolverine by Raven Software ( also Batman by Rocksteady ) , hope it's good port here.

Ricker said:
I don`t understand people complaining about the game being 60 bucks,especially with all the DLC and the ME1 recap and all...I might double dip also at that price,do a completly different character and class,etc etc,even though I finished and got most of the DLC during the year...the game is not even 1 year old and is awesome,60 bucks for those who never played it is a steal :p :D

for most people they will see it as $60 and one year old, and DLCs will do no things for new comers ( PS3 only guys ) so $40 is a better price if EA/BioWare want to actually sell and expand the ME fans. (but I think the game will drop fast in price anyway )

Cels

Ricker said:

$60 is a rip because, as I posted earlier in this thread you could get Mass Effect 2 + all paid DLC for $48, so the extra $12 gets you a comic.

acevans2

Cels said:
$60 is a rip because, as I posted earlier in this thread you could get Mass Effect 2 + all paid DLC for $48, so the extra $12 gets you a comic.
I don't see how that's a ripoff?

Comics are like 15 or 20 bucks, aren't they? I bought the animated Watchmen comic for 20.

Buckethead said:
So this is actually happening, eh?

Silly Microsoft.

I'm sorry have you been in a deep state of denial the past 3-4 months now?

Anyways, consider me double dipping. Loved it nearly a year ago and will love to play it again but with trophies! =:p

Cels

acevans2 said:
I don't see how that's a ripoff?

Comics are like 15 or 20 bucks, aren't they? I bought the animated Watchmen comic for 20.

You are right to raise that point. We don't know how substantive the comic will be. Maybe it will be a pretty good value. $12 though? Will the comic amount to a fifth of the game? Do you think that Bioware could put the comic up at $12/960MSP on XBL and sell it?

Watchmen isn't even a fair comparison, anyway -- it's a ~450 page comic in animated form with a running time of over 5 hours. Why would you even bring that up? Does anyone think the Mass Effect 1 recap comic will take even one hour to complete?

Besides, when you bundle content together normally you get a discount. For example, Dragon Age Ultimate contains $80 worth of DLC ($95 if you count Stone Prisoner, packaging claims $112, I don't know where they got that from). Add the cost of the base game ($20) to that and you get up to the wildly inflated price of $100.

Dragon Age Ultimate is a little different since it's a re-release and not on an entirely new platform but the main point of the example about getting discounts for bundled content stands.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
ntb825 said:
Bottom line is that you're getting an B+ game and some extra content for $60
Fixed. However, the "extra content" could give it a bit of a push to an A-. :D

I do think it's a bit much for a game that's been released for almost a year. Oh well, enjoy PS3 fans.

Jomjom

Banned
I'll never support the practice of devs selling exclusivity to make some bucks and then turning around and expecting to charge full price to the user base that they screwed. Bioware/EA made PS3 users wait for a year to play this game, so I'll have no problem waiting another year when this game is in the bargain bin for $10.

I don't get how anyone can try to argue that this is a good deal. All GOTYs nowadays come with most if not all of the DLC. Now name one that was more than $60. At best this is charging the normal price for a game that is a year late.

onken

Oh come on it's totally 6.30pm 22nd here, I want this demo NOW :lol

jling84 said:
I'll never support the practice of devs selling exclusivity to make some bucks and then turning around and expecting to charge full price to the user base that they screwed. Bioware/EA made PS3 users wait for a year to play this game, so I'll have no problem waiting another year when this game is in the bargain bin for $10.

I don't get how anyone can try to argue that this is a good deal. All GOTYs nowadays come with most if not all of the DLC. Now name one that was more than $60. At best this is charging the normal price for a game that is a year late.

I honestly cannot understand this logic. Seriously, what has release period got to do with value? Is it in any way less of a game than what it was last year? When you go to buy a car do you complain that the model has been out in Japan for 9 months already and you demand a 33% discount?

wotter

Got the game yesterday, tight embargo but just a few small snippets:

- long install is loooooong
- pretty good framerate, only drops i've seen is when a lot of characters suddenly show up or when running in large spaces with lots of lights and effects (normandy bridge for example)
- there's something about the characters that make them look cg. I've played the game on the same monitor maxed out on pc, but the ps3 version just looks more warm and natural. Will check this one out some more later.

Averon

wotter said:

- pretty good framerate, only drops i've seen is when a lot of characters suddenly show up or when running in large spaces with lots of lights and effects (normandy bridge for example)
- there's something about the characters that make them look cg. I've played the game on the same monitor maxed out, but the ps3 version looks more warm and natural. Will check out some more later.

Thanks for the impressions. Looks like I will keep my pre-order. Framerate was my biggest concern.

wotter said:

- there's something about the characters that make them look cg. I've played the game on the same monitor maxed out on pc, but the ps3 version just looks more warm and natural. Will check this one out some more later.
Damn sound good...

onken

wotter said:

Mouse is hovering over that pre-order button, just waiting on the demo.

Loudninja

When it comes down to gameplay, though, Mass Effect 2 plays as you’d expect it would on the PS3. Aiming is done with the L1 trigger, R1 will fire, and R2/L2 accesses your weapons and other options. It’s simple and very comfortable to maneuver about using the PS3 control pad. Aside from using a different controller, everything else will mostly remain the same with only slight changes made to minor game elements. By streamlining the game more towards progression and less towards slow, mundane tasks, the game’s pacing is sped up slightly and keeps the action moving along. The game ran very smooth and the framerate was solid. Our time with the game was short, but it still felt and played like Mass Effect 2 and, in the end, that's all that matters.
http://www.examiner.com/video-game-in-national/hands-on-mass-effect-2-ps3-mass-effect-2-perfected

Nizz

wotter said:

Awesome impressions, thank you. :) Can't wait to try the demo tonight.

Foil

wotter said:

- pretty good framerate, only drops i've seen is when a lot of characters suddenly show up or when running in large spaces with lots of lights and effects (normandy bridge for example)- there's something about the characters that make them look cg. I've played the game on the same monitor maxed out on pc, but the ps3 version just looks more warm and natural. Will check this one out some more later.

Blah. Odds of the double dip... dropping. Guess I'll wait on that demo.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Logged in and was super hyped to try this out :( Fuck, forgot demo was out tomorrow...

Nizz

Yoshichan said:
Logged in and was super hyped to try this out :( Fuck, forgot demo was out tomorrow...
Are you in Europe? I know the Playstation blog had a post where they said the demo was dropping today: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/12/16/the-“definitive-version”-of-mass-effect-2-is-on-ps3/

Playstation Blog said:
Other facts I thought might wanna know but which didn’t make the interview cut:

* There’ll be a demo on PSN this coming Tuesday, December 21st

Cels

I'm in the US and I just got this e-mail.

1zz2f6r.png

entremet

Might double dip because I'm a huge fan of the series. It will be worth it for no disc swapping, which is annoying on the 360 version.

onken

Yoshichan said:

No it's out today. In fact LBP2 demo is already out (apparently not on the front page, you have to search for it) maybe the same with ME2?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
onken said:
No it's out today. In fact LBP2 demo is already out (apparently not on the front page, you have to search for it) maybe the same with ME2?
ME2 demo pops u via search.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom