• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 PS3 releasing on Jan. 18 (NA) and Jan. 21 (EU) | Demo Dec. 22

Status
Not open for further replies.

StuBurns

Banned
shagg_187 said:
Well that's cause GCN HAZ NO GAME!
Stupid question, buy why'd you put the N at the end of GC? I've seen people do it before too.

RE4 on PS2 was underrated, it's really not as bad as people make out.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
StuBurns said:
Stupid question, buy why'd you put the N at the end of GC? I've seen people do it before too.

RE4 on PS2 was underrated, it's really not as bad as people make out.
IIRC, that's the official abbreviation. No idea why Nintendo chose GCN for it instead of NGC or GC.

EatChildren said:
Mass Effect 2 on the PS3 will come with an interactive motion comic that allows you to experience the main plot of the first game, make the major decisions, and have them carry across into your Mass Effect 2 play file.
Whoa whoa whoa, really? That sounds fucking awesome.

Truespeed said:
Has any game that's been released a year later on another platform done well? I can't think of any, but several bombs come to mind. I realize they're including all the DLC and trying to add some additional content, but even they should know a 1 year old game just isn't going to sell very well.

The GTA games sold well on the Xbox last gen. Those late ports that sell well are few and far between though. ME2 might do decently in the end since there are quite a few PS3 owners that have been wanting the series to appear on the PS3. Certainly more than the amount of people that really cared to see Bioshock on the PS3.

sadaiyappan

I'm playing through Mass Effect on my laptop. It looks okay for a 2008 xbox game, it runs perfectly. The story hasn't hooked me in yet but I've only played about an hour so far.

shwimpy

Same day as LBP2? Ugh... oh well, two totally different genres so I'll buy both.

Unless someone recreates Mass Effect 2 in LBP2 before launch. :lol

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
omg, Mass Effect is a PC franchise to me, so I can't even imagine playing it in less than 60 fps and ultra-crisp graphics but I'm weak for the series, so I'm going to download the demo.

also I want to try consoles control scheme.

onken

Demo's out next week and we have absolutely no impressions on performance?

Yeah, I'm concerned.

Torrod

Neo Member
onken said:

Yeah, I'm concerned.

They had time for a year now to re-code it for the ps3. Should be done by now if you ask me ;)

Averon

onken said:

Yeah, I'm concerned.

I have the game on pre-order. This demo will determine whether I keep it or not.

Cels

AlStrong said:
It's 2x. A lot of the post-processing tends to interfere with it though.

I looked this up. The 360 version has none.

From Eurogamer -

Another interesting element is the removal of anti-aliasing. The first Mass Effect included Unreal Engine 3's somewhat selective 2x multi-sampling AA. It's selective in that it appears to be applied to edges midway through rendering the frame, so while some of the image gets edge-smoothing lots of it doesn't. You can see this in a range of UE3 games, Gears of War 2 being a standout example.

For Mass Effect 2, BioWare appears to have turned off the anti-aliasing completely, presumably saving memory and GPU cycles in the process. Depth of field and bloom are used instead, doing a surprisingly good job. While not quite up there with the likes of Final Fantasy XIII, the DOF effect works extremely well in producing a great cinematic effect during the cut-scenes.

AlStrong

Cels said:
I looked this up. The 360 version has none.

From Eurogamer -

It's a mistake in the article at the time when I was consulted. I was only sent screenshots at various points in the game, though I've since re-examined particular scenes when I finally acquired it. There are very particular types of scenes where the 2xAA can be observed properly.

Cels

AlStrong said:
It's a mistake in the article at the time when I was consulted. I was only sent screenshots at various points in the game, though I've since re-examined particular scenes when I finally acquired it. There are very particular types of scenes where the 2xAA can be observed properly.

So Eurogamer is wrong. Good to know.

Hmmm, get ME2 for $20 on a PC that doesn't run it fully or wait until Jan 22 to pick it for $60 that also comes with DLC and trophies.

decisions decisions.

StuBurns said:

Killthee said:
IIRC, that's the official abbreviation. No idea why Nintendo chose GCN for it instead of NGC or GC.

NGC = NeoGeo Color so they used GCN.

That's what I've heard forever anyway.

Cels

Rapping Granny said:
Hmmm, get ME2 for $20 on a PC that doesn't run it fully or wait until Jan 22 to pick it for $60 that also comes with DLC and trophies.

decisions decisions.

What do you mean by "doesn't run it fully"? If you are comparing your PC to a PS3...if your PC can't run Mass Effect 2 well at 1280x720/high settings, then by all means get the PS3 version because that is probably what the PS3 version will look like.

Merovin

Katana_Strikes said:
So that's LBP2, Dead Space 2 and Mass Effect 2 demo all on the same day? Thank fuck I'm off work that day!:D

I have that day off too! Coincidence sure can be a blessing! :D

Patryn

What was the release date for the 360 version of ME2? Is the 18th exactly a year?

onken said:
What's the deal with PS1 = PSX anyway?

As I understand it, it stands for Playstation eXperimental, the internal codename for the system.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Depending on wether or not I'm still playing Cataclysm I'll be there on day 1. And I've put down 140 hours in that game according to Steam.

Owzers

pleaseeeeeeeeee don't run like crap on PS3. With Mass Effect 3 having multiplayer and me not buying the ME 2 dlc on 360 yet, i want to make the switch. But....Dragon Age ps3 was soooooo bad. Different teams but still very much worried.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Hope the demo isn't the same as ME2 360's. :/

TheSeks said:
Hope the demo isn't the same as ME2 360's. :/

Why not? Other than giving the beginning of the game away (a ME2 tradition), it was very good, and quite meaty.

It will serve as a great comparison between the 360 and PS3
for those of us considering double and triple dipping

Boss Man

Doesn't ME2 suck? From fan reactions to how Bioware has been behaving lately, I'd rather enter the series at the first game. :/

The concept of the series itself is something that I think I could really get into though.

Somtaaw

Banned
StateofMind said:
Doesn't ME2 suck? From fan reactions to how Bioware has been behaving lately, I'd rather enter the series at the first game. :/

The concept of the series itself is something that I think I could really get into though.

No the game is fine, just the plot have some issues.

StateofMind said:
No, it does not suck. Mass Effect fans are just very...passionate (crazy). Mass Effect 2, with all of it's faults, is still better than 95% of anything else released this year. You can take that to the bank.

Jerk

Banned
StateofMind said:

No. It is a pretty damn good game.

It simply did not live to the promises of the first (which is inferior to it in most ways).

Mutanthands said:
No, it does not suck. Mass Effect fans are just very...passionate (crazy). Mass Effect 2, with all of it's faults, is still better than 95% of anything else released this year. You can take that to the bank.

You exaggerate. This year saw a metric tonne of good games.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Glad to see they're releasing a demo. I'll probably double dip once it hits the bargain bin if the demo runs good.

tzare

StateofMind said:

it is more of an action game than RPG but is a nice game afterall, especially if you like sci-fi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom