• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 PS3 releasing on Jan. 18 (NA) and Jan. 21 (EU) | Demo Dec. 22

Status
Not open for further replies.

anddo0

Demo is way too long. Had to cut it short.:lol

It's a great introduction to ME for those who haven't played it. Excellent demo.

Cruzader

Banned
Wow awesome port!!!

No slowdowns while playing and graphics do not look downgraded at all like normal ports. I took off film grain mode under options and the game looks clean as hell! Cut scenes look great.

Ok serious q, where the boobs downsized for real? If so why and comparison picks please to prove some if you ain't kidding.

As for typical haters who hate the idea of ME on PS3, ME2 is a great game and even if you don't own a 360, get the PC version. Plenty of ways to play the 1st one. Or experience it via comic.

I managed to get this 50% off from EA store(don't ask, long story ) and I am so glad I'm buying this. Played some on 360 and will miss the install option to reduce loadings.(not same as ps3 function)

As for ME3, day one Bioware!

methos75

Banned
Its a great port, but I am not seeing these graphical improvements some have stated it has over the XB360 version, looks the same too me.

I've been interested in ME for a long time and glad I finally get to play it. The demo definitely got me excited and can't wait to play the full game. It looks really good too. Glad they took the time to make a quality port.

Redbeard

Banned
mysticwhip said:
Demo is fucking boring & the gun combat sucks. Skipping this.

Yup. Played a bit on the 360 and came to the same conclusion. The game is probably the most overrated this year, if not the entire generation. A weak man's third person shooter with poor production values.

REV 09

Redbeard said:
Yup. Played a bit on the 360 and came to the same conclusion. The game is probably the most overrated this year, if not the entire generation. A weak man's third person shooter with poor production values.
Opinions and everything, but...wow.

I had fun playing the demo. Gameplay wise it looks great, and controls well. The only gripe that I have is the horrible cinematics at the beginning. That's one thing I can not stand is choppy video quality. I'm really hoping it's just a demo thing, and that the retail version has better quality video. Besides that one issue, it's pretty much great. I don't know if I will get this right when it comes out, but I'm leaning more to yes right now. I have never played a Mass Effect game before, so if I do get it, it would be my first time.

Jerk

Banned
Redbeard said:

The game is a tad overrated, but I think y'all are being a bit unfair to it.

Redbeard

Banned
Jerk 2.0 said:
The game is a tad overrated, but I think y'all are being a bit unfair to it.

I dunno, when most of the actual gameplay involves shooting, and the game has horrible shooting mechanics, I don't think I'm being very unfair at all.

There's very little RPG elements to the game itself, and for a game so focused on story it's hard to get engrossed when the character's all look and animate like one dimensional zombies.

C4Lukins

So what sequence does the demo entail? It seems like a really tough game to have a demo for. Glad that PS3 only owners will get a chance to play it. Easily my favorite game of the year, and maybe my favorite game of all time. I need to give that idea a few years to fester, but I hope Sony fans embrace it because it really is a fantastic game.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
C4Lukins said:
So what sequence does the demo entail? It seems like a really tough game to have a demo for. Glad that PS3 only owners will get a chance to play it. Easily my favorite game of the year, and maybe my favorite game of all time. I need to give that idea a few years to fester, but I hope Sony fans embrace it because it really is a fantastic game.
Normandy blowing up, Shepard waking up, and Mordin's recruit mission (not sure if it's just the first half or the full thing).

Dragnet

Wow, talk about overrated. All that buildup for this? Not worth it PS3 owners..

Subpar shooting mechanics, very weak RPG hooks, mediocre pacing, boring dialogue, terrible animation and iffy controls. Honestly, why do people love this game so much? I hope it gets better as it goes on because going on the demo, the game is no more than your average scifi shooter/weakrpg. The sum of all the games flaws? It's just no fun :(

The only thing I liked was the whole setup then walking through the torn up ship, hearing Shephards breathing. That was pretty cool.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Don't think this is my kinda game seems way too boring gameplay and story wise. I'll give it another try when I'm not tired though.

Killthee said:
Normandy blowing up, Shepard waking up, and Mordin's recruit mission (not sure if it's just the first half or the full thing).

You play until Mordin agrees to join your team after putting the cure in the air and turning the fans on. I'm not sure how much of that mission it is as i've never played through the full game.

Foxix Von

I was thinking about double dipping but after playing this.... no. There was a lot of screen tearing and A LOT of stuttering in the intro video alone and the frame rate, while remaining at a playable rate, was really inconsistent to the point where it was getting on my nerves. Lighting I'm general seems a little different, in a good way, but not at the cost of performance. Also the first time femshep put her helmet on her hair was clipping out of it.

I'll skip unless it hits bargain bins quick and gets a patch.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
SolidSnakex said:
You play until Mordin agrees to join your team after putting the cure in the air and turning the fans on. I'm not sure how much of that mission it is as i've never played through the full game.

That's pretty much the entire recruitment mission bar a few more combat arena's

Holy shit this is a huge demo.

edit : a screenshot comparison

http://www.gameblurb.net/featured/versus-mass-effect-2-screenshot-comparison/

lighting engine looks better but the character faces look worse, less detailed.

Killthee

SolidSnakex said:
Half of it then. You still have to clear several more rooms filled with more enemies than the first half and deploy the cure before Mordin actually joins you.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I really hope they reduced her boob size a bit, it was kinda embarrassing that game character had them probably at least twice as big as the actress she was based on.

chandoog said:
lighting engine looks better but the character faces look worse, less detailed.
Texture resolution looks exactly the same and no less detail. Lighting looks different, that's about as much as I can tell from these small screens. Shepard's face definitely looks more natural and less plasticy with PS3 lighting/shaders.

Aaron

I had no problem with the combat in the game, but those on the fence beware this is a shit ton of shooting in the game. It's probably 70% to 80% of the game.

Killthee said:
Half of it then. You still have to clear several more rooms filled with more enemies than the first half and deploy the cure before Mordin actually joins you.

You do deploy the cure in the demo. Unless you mean that you have to deploy the cure twice.

This page is reminding me why I visit GAF less and less. Mean-spirited, superlative hate that doesn't add anything to an experience I enjoyed the hell out of.

Ugh, the screen tearing is pissing me off. I've only played ME on the PC, so I'm not sure if the 360 version had any tearing or not. The intro movie had lots of tearing and was choppy, but aside from these complaints, it looks good.

methos75

Banned
Dragnet said:

Subpar shooting mechanics, very weak RPG hooks, mediocre pacing, boring dialogue, terrible animation and iffy controls. Honestly, why do people love this game so much? I hope it gets better as it goes on because going on the demo, the game is no more than your average scifi shooter/weakrpg. The sum of all the games flaws? It's just no fun :(

The only thing I liked was the whole setup then walking through the torn up ship, hearing Shephards breathing. That was pretty cool.

LOL you base your opinion off of 15 mins of gameplay LOL, craziness

cnizzle06

Banned
It seems like many of you were waiting for a 360 AAA game to be ported over merely so you could claim it's below your standards :\

methos75

Banned
AsylumBlue said:
Ugh, the screen tearing is pissing me off. I've only played ME on the PC, so I'm not sure if the 360 version had any tearing or not. The intro movie had lots of tearing and was choppy, but aside from these complaints, it looks good.

Its on the XB360 as well, I see no difference at between the two good or bad depending how you look at it

I feel sorry for those of you that can't enjoy this game.

For a sci-fi fan, it's worth playing just to experience the universe alone. It's one of the most fully realized future timelines out there -- gaming or otherwise.

Aaron

WhiskeyKnight said:

For a sci-fi fan, it's worth playing just to experience the universe alone. It's one of the most fully realized future timelines out there -- gaming or otherwise.
Then they should play the first, since it's largely window dressing in ME2.

mokeyjoe

doktorpeace said:
This page is reminding me why I visit GAF less and less. Mean-spirited, superlative hate that doesn't add anything to an experience I enjoyed the hell out of.

I guess it's hard to get a feel for the epic nature of the series coming into a demo halfway through the story arc. Mass Effect has always been greater than the sum of its parts, reducing it down to its constituents, none of which are individually particularly great, is going to give a narrow and unrepresentative view of the whole.

Is it a great shooter - no, is it a great RPG - no, is it a marvellous adventure told in one of the richest game universes ever devised - absolutely. Its like watching Star Trek and criticizing it for cheesy acting and ropey special effects, you'd be missing the point in spectacular fashion.

Truespeed

WhiskeyKnight said:

Don't be. It's not like those 3-4 were the audience for this game.

Killthee

SolidSnakex said:
You do deploy the cure in the demo. Unless you mean that you have to deploy the cure twice.
Full mission then. Thought you meant the demo ended after you leave the clinic to deploy the cure :lol

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The funny thing is that even though I know the shooting mechanics are more clumsy than the pure shooters out there, like Gears of War, I still enjoyed the shooting in ME2 much more than those games.

And its not like the shooting mechanics are much, if at all, worse than the likes of the original Uncharted. I'd even say they're better.

If people can sit through bullet sponges and grenade spam of Uncharted, and still adore it, then maybe you can see why people adore Mass Effect.

Truespeed

cnizzle06 said:
It seems like many of you were waiting for a 360 AAA game to be ported over merely so you could claim it's below your standards :\

Well, it's no Uncharted 2.

And there it is - the irrelevant UC2 reference. Time to wrap up this thread and place it under the Christmas tree / Festivus Pole.

Kittonwy

Banned
Dragnet said:

Well if you don't buy the game you will never experience the mineral exploration, that stuff will change your life.
Indifferent2.gif

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Redbeard said:

The game is severely overrated by fans, yeah. But that doesn't make it a terrible game.

When it's conversations and typical Bioware's "how much of a dick can you be" (the only way to play Bioware games) the game can be fun. I love having Shepard punch men AND women out left and right.

But the gunplay and exploring just isn't fun for me. I think Bioware should just make an "Ass Effect: A Mass Effect dating sim" and let me just get into Wrex's pants already. :|

Kittonwy

Banned
EatChildren said:
The funny thing is that even though I know the shooting mechanics are more clumsy than the pure shooters out there, like Gears of War, I still enjoyed the shooting in ME2 much more than those games.

And its not like the shooting mechanics are much, if at all, worse than the likes of the original Uncharted. I'd even say they're better.

If people can sit through bullet sponges and grenade spam of Uncharted, and still adore it, then maybe you can see why people adore Mass Effect.

I can't and I own both ME1 and 2, fucking shooting mechanics are far worse than Uncharted 1, at least in Uncharted 1 you don't have to deal with repetitively having to deal with barrier then shield then armor and THEN getting to the health, if you want to talk bullet sponge, Uncharted 1 is 5 pistol shots max on crushing for mercs and 1 headshot kill, Mass Effect 2 takes FAR more shots to put an enemy down.

mokeyjoe

Truespeed said:
Well, it's no Uncharted 2.

And there it is - the irrelevant UC2 reference. Time to wrap up this thread and place it under the Christmas tree / Festivus Pole.

Heh, it's hard to think of a worse comparison than the carefully directed linearity of UC2 and the messy branching sprawl of Mass Effect.

To be honest I played as an Adept in my first runthrough of both games and barely did much shooting at all, more flinging people around. Just wrapping up my soldier/renegade/femShep run of ME1 so I guess things are about to get shootier in ME2. Still, the shooting mechanics in ME2 are so far ahead of the original it'll make it seem like Gears of War or something. :lol

There are some fucking idiots in this forum and it shows in this thread,

If you can't enjoy a game because it has stiff animation or some dumb bullshit ass excuse then stop gaming all together.

Kittonwy

Banned
cnizzle06 said:

I had a great experience with HALO Reach on legendary, I just think that if you're trying to cut out a lot of the RPG stuff and be a shooter, then be ready to compete with other shooters.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Kittonwy said:
I can't and I own both ME1 and 2, fucking shooting mechanics are far worse than Uncharted 1, at least in Uncharted 1 you don't have to deal with repetitively having to deal with barrier then shield then armor and THEN getting to the health, if you want to talk bullet sponge, Uncharted 1 is 5 pistol shots max on crushing for mercs and 1 headshot kill, Mass Effect 2 takes FAR more shots to put an enemy down.

I enjoy the gunplay against various enemy protections. I enjoy picking the right ability or power to rip through their defences quickly, and using powers to keep them at bay. With the right combination of skills/powers and the right weapon you can rip through practically every enemy with ease.

I find juggling those abilities between enemies and various defences more enjoyable than Uncharted's 'shoot them with the same weapon until they die' mechanic. Even if they are both fundamentally bullet sponges, at least Mass Effect 2 adds in some powers and skill variety to spice it up.

But then again, I played both Mass Effects on PC, and so by default I find the gunplay a metric shit-ton more enjoyable than anything involving sticks, and I really dont know how the sticks handle aiming in ME2 on consoles, especially in this demo.

Ploid 3.0

I gots a plan. Buy ME2 PS3 when ME3 comes out for dirt cheap. Then when ME3 get's cheap buy it. Haven't tried demo yet, reading gaf impressions as I grind in another game. Seems bleh, but I might like it.

How was the DLC stuff? Was it any good? What are the DLCs anyway?

Kittonwy

Banned
mokeyjoe said:
Heh, it's hard to think of a worse comparison than the carefully directed linearity of UC2 and the messy branching sprawl of Mass Effect.

To be honest I played as an Adept in my first runthrough of both games and barely did much shooting at all, more flinging people around. Just wrapping up my soldier/renegade/femShep run of ME1 so I guess things are about to get shootier in ME2. Still, the shooting mechanics in ME2 are so far ahead of the original it'll make it seem like Gears of War or something. :lol

There's not much "messy branching sprawl" in Mass Effect 2, you're basically going to different planets (if you're lucky enough to find a mission planet and not a mineral planet 99% of the time) and fighting in a bunch of linear corridors that don't allow you to get all that creative with combat. I used Infiltrator and there wasn't much "stealth" to speak of other than sniping which I don't really need cloak for that, no silent takedowns, nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom