• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 PS3 releasing on Jan. 18 (NA) and Jan. 21 (EU) | Demo Dec. 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
sublime085 said:
i didn't mean to say i don't think me2 has its issues, i don't think it's flawless. but when you mention stuff like the constant dialogue and decision making you have to realize that many people love that stuff, especially when it's coming from bioware.

it's more a matter of taste than standards in that particular example.

But just about in the middle of combat tho - is just bad design. Here you're under attack and you have to stop for a chit-chat... I know it's a "game" and doesn't have to be "realistic" but that's just stretching it :lol

mokeyjoe

Ninja-Matic said:
It's not cold objectivity. I'm critical of the games I play. I have little time and I'd rather it spent on more polished titles. Again, if other devs can do it, every dev is then capable. If it is too much for their ambitions, they need to reach lower and work within their means. Even quaint XBLA and PSN titles can show extreme gobs of polish from titles that are far from full-on disc-based adventures.

My post was painfully obvious from a design standpoint - nowhere did I mention characters, story, universe or "other charms" that the game may have. So "fairly obvious" needn't be mentioned if you've read my post.

I just flat-out think it plays "bad". Fair enough?

Can I stick with my opinion or do I have to "ZOMG THIS IS TEH BEST TITAL EVAR!" to fit in with the ME "clique"?

You can have your opinion, but it's naive to think people won't disagree. Especially when you accuse people of 'not having standards' which is a statement seemingly designed to provoke a reaction from those who like the game.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Ninja-Matic said:
Am I then supposed to laugh at those who swoon over games which are technically and mechanically flawed? If this is how GAF works - I'm not falling in line with that flawed logic.

How about realize everyone has opinions and there's no need to basically insult an entire fanbase to get yours across? That's one way to not come across as a completely ignorant asshole, for one. I don't mind if you hate ME2 from what you've played of it, but don't come back and say I have no standards for loving it.

mokeyjoe said:
You can have your opinion, but it's naive to think people won't disagree. Especially when you accuse people of 'not having standards' which is a statement seemingly designed to provoke a reaction from those who like the game.

TBH - how anyone can not notice the screen tearing, chugging framerate and horrid non-fluid combat mechanics is beyond me.

I'm not ganging up on anyone for liking the game.

But it seems that whenever a game's "clique" has a negative comment spoken about it - everyone gangs up on "that guy".

But you can say all the goodness you want about it and nobody will question you?

So tell me, then... Why is it OK to not be questioned if you bat your eyes at a game but if you happen to not like it - everyone is on you in a heartbeat?

Feelings hurt?

Did I make someone cry over a VIDEO GAME?

If I did - then that's pretty damn sad.

Papercuts said:
How about realize everyone has opinions and there's no need to basically insult an entire fanbase to get yours across? That's one way to not come across as a completely ignorant asshole, for one. I don't mind if you hate ME2 from what you've played of it, but don't come back and say I have no standards for loving it.

I don't think anyone likes a chugging framerate, screen tearing, etc.

That's sadistic if you do.

Have a good nite, GAF.

Sorry to hurt anyone's feelings due to my ignorance over a VIDEO GAME. :D

Kittonwy

Banned
Ninja-Matic said:
Just giving my opinion which everyone is entitled to - no matter the outcome.

Ah - you're one of those "my opinion is the right opinion" people.

*pats you on head*

That's nice.

You've pretty much summed things up pretty well.

StuBurns

Banned
The demo is really underwhelming. Screentear? Seriously? On a year old port that doesn't hold 30fps? It's disgusting. And unlike ME1, turning off film grain doesn't appear to help performance.

It's not a full price purchase for me.

bigswords

Ninja-Matic said:
TBH - how anyone can not notice the screen tearing, chugging framerate and horrid non-fluid combat mechanics is beyond me.

I'm not ganging up on anyone for liking the game.

But it seems that whenever a game's "clique" has a negative comment spoken about it - everyone gangs up on "that guy".

But you can say all the goodness you want about it and nobody will question you?

So tell me, then... Why is it OK to not be questioned if you bat your eyes at a game but if you happen to not like it - everyone is on you in a heartbeat?

Feelings hurt?

Did I make someone cry over a VIDEO GAME?

If I did - then that's pretty damn sad.

So I guess 360 superior version?

threenote said:
I would love to play this for the first time (PS3 Only User). However, I'll never pay $60 for a port, that is just outrageous.
It's worth it. You get the game plus the DLC. Shit, I am double dipping.

Durante

Ninja-Matic said:
It's not cold objectivity. I'm critical of the games I play. I have little time and I'd rather it spent on more polished titles. Again, if other devs can do it, every dev is then capable. If it is too much for their ambitions, they need to reach lower and work within their means.
You have to realize that not everyone values polish above ambition. To me, ME2 is -- if anything -- too polished and "safe" and not ambitious enough (I played the PC version though). Having different metrics on which to judge a game is not the same as having none.

Kittonwy

Banned
Zen said:
Hrm. The game looks slightly worse than the 360 version, at least to me. I think a large part of it might be that Bioware was just using more than 256megs for their GPU ram, on average.

[ss]If you look at the comparison shots, it's not just that ME2 PS3 is brighter, although that's a part of it, but if you look at things like the eyebrows you can see how they look slightly blurrier and larger on the PS3, and that's a sure sign that the res and such is lower.[/ss]

Actually it might just be the brightness+ lowering the color depth on the textures?

A huge ton of frame hiccups and screen tearing on the demo as well, but that might just be a demo thing.

I had fun playing the demo, but considering I have the PC version, a new lighting engine isn't enough to get me to buy the game again at 60 dollars.

ME3 probably won't have as many problems running on the PS3 as a port over of ME2 does, still, the hiccups and lower res textures are disappointing.

Texture quality in the 360 version just doesn't support that possibility. I'm still struggling to notice what's so special about the new lighting engine, there's not even SSAO here, and the lighting quality looks pretty much the same as ME2 on the 360.

Kittonwy said:
Texture quality in the 360 version just doesn't support that possibility.

I haven't played either (I have the PC version), but from two comparisons I've seen this morning (Lens of Truth and GameBlurb), I'd say at least some textures in the 360 version do look a bit more detailed.

Kittonwy

Banned
Durante said:
You have to realize that not everyone values polish above ambition. To me, ME2 is -- if anything -- too polished and "safe" and not ambitious enough (I played the PC version though). Having different metrics on which to judge a game is not the same as having none.

I wouldn't use polish to describe ME2, it's more streamlined than anything else, they basically cut out the clunky stuff in ME1 like dice-roll shooting, inventory and the mako, the shooting and AI still aren't up to par and the level designs aren't all that great, technically there are prettier-looking games on the 360 like HALO Reach and Gears 2.

Kittonwy

Banned
REMEMBER CITADEL said:
I haven't played either (I have the PC version), but from two comparisons I've seen this morning (Lens of Truth and GameBlurb), I'd say at least some textures in the 360 version do look a bit more detailed.

My point is that the texture quality in the 360 version shouldn't be something that the PS3 couldn't handle, it's not like the textures were super high quality, ME2 wasn't exactly a beast in terms of textures, geometry or particle effects.

Aaron

mokeyjoe said:
Well not in the grand sense, but walking round talking to people, checking out the stores, that sort of thing. Again, I'm not saying it's like RDR or something, just that it's different in this respect to UC2.
Yeah, I'd agree that's a major difference to what ends up being a relatively small portion of the game. I enjoyed ME2, but there's just too much UC2 style shooting in it.

dwebo

Hanmik said:
http://www.lensoftruth.com/?p=25602

X360 version looks better in my opinion.. (I do not own a X360)
Shep's fingers apparently don't cast shadows on his face in the ps3 version, judging by the third pic. Looking at the inset, though, at least his background shadow doesn't look like an M. Bison silhouette anymore.

HSZfl.jpg

StuBurns

Banned
Kittonwy said:
My point is that the texture quality in the 360 version shouldn't be something that the PS3 couldn't handle, it's not like the textures were super high quality, ME2 wasn't exactly a beast in terms of textures, geometry or particle effects.
Regardless the PS3 has less memory to work with.

Jerk

Banned
Durante said:

Very well said.

Suzzopher

So those videos last week that made the PS3 version look impressive were lies? I played the demo and it runs so much worse than the 360 version.

Everything looks washed out, the screen tearing is atrocious and the framerate just doesn't stay steady.

dwebo

Suzzopher said:
So those videos last week that made the PS3 version look impressive were lies? I played the demo and it runs so much worse than the 360 version.

Everything looks washed out, the screen tearing is atrocious and the framerate just doesn't stay steady.
Welcome to PS3 game advertising :lol

Suzzopher

dwebo said:
Welcome to PS3 game advertising :lol

But the videos last week were gameplay vids. I don't get the difference in quality between those gameplay videos and this demo. They are night and day different =/

Suzzopher said:
But the videos last week were gameplay vids. I don't get the difference in quality between those gameplay videos and this demo. They are night and day different =/

Could be that the demo is an early build?

I'm surprised by that LoT comparison as I also thought the visuals in the gameplay vids looked quite a bit better than those in 360.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Suzzopher said:
It's probably just a newer build since demo's are usually a few months old. Could still be in the final game, but I'll judge when the final product is out since I saw the difference between the God of War 3 demo and the final game. I'll give the demo another whirl when I get into my hometown.

Suzzopher

Speedymanic said:
Could be that the demo is an early build?

I'm surprised by that LoT comparison as I also thought the visuals in the gameplay vids looked quite a bit better than those in 360.

Yeah the videos looked so crisp, yet the demo looked so washed out.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Ninja-Matic said:
Bad textures. What's the point of a detailed face when you're always staring at the back of your head - uber low-rez everything else?

Unless the PS3 version is truly broken, the textures are about on par with 99% of other titles this gen. Its not 'uber low rez' in the slightest.

After every 3-4 kills you have to stop for a cutscene and make decisions? You can't just keep moving along? Really? I REALLY need to stop every 10 feet to talk to someone when the ship is being attacked? Who does this?

You do this because its a story focued game, with tons and tons of dialogue. If you dont want character interaction, you're playing the wrong game. Whining about this is like whining that shooters have too much shooting.

Do people just not have standards?

I cant really think of any first gen titles on either system that exceed the polish of ME2, at the very best matching it, so I really think its your 'standards' that are utterly absurd.

TTP said:
Why do Sheppard's scars shine in darkness? Does he have phosphorescent blood? :lol
He's evil duh.

And that's more explanation for it then you'll get from Bioware.

Enjoy the game PS3 owners. I didn't like it quite as much as I did the first, but it's still a really good game.

wotter

What parts of the game does the demo cover? Maybe I can do a cross test with the review copy, because I haven't seem much tearing, seems like the game just drops frames instead.

stupei

What the hell happened in this thread and why are people talking about Uncharted? :lol

wotter said:
What parts of the game does the demo cover? Maybe I can do a cross test with the review copy, because I haven't seem much tearing, seems like the game just drops frames instead.

Opening segment on the Normandy, Shepard waking up, and then Mordin's recruitment mission.

mokeyjoe

Thunder Monkey said:
He's evil duh.

And that's more explanation for it then you'll get from Bioware.

Enjoy the game PS3 owners. I didn't like it quite as much as I did the first, but it's still a really good game.

Lol, yeah thankfully you can ditch the Lazarus scars pretty quickly.

Originally I would have said the I preferred the first, but having gone back to it recently I'm no longer so sure.

I thought it seemed like a solid port. I don't know how the 360 version looks/runs but I did see Mass Effect 1 on 360 and this is not even close to as bad as that in terms of performance. If they can deal with that, you'll get through this juuuust fine. :lol

Anyways, enjoy the game PS3-only gamers. I was disappointed with it but going in fresh without being able make any comparisons to the first is a blessing in this case, I guess.

mokeyjoe said:
Lol, yeah thankfully you can ditch the Lazarus scars pretty quickly.

Originally I would have said the I preferred the first, but having gone back to it recently I'm no longer so sure.
The core game of the second is much more refined and stable on the 360, so I can see that. It's a much much better shooter then the first. A great unique shooter even. But they really ditched a lot of the RPGishness that the first had.

Both great games, but if they didn't share a universe they'd feel like two different great games.

wotter

stupei said:
Opening segment on the Normandy, Shepard waking up, and then Mordin's recruitment mission.
And where does it tear exactly? I'm just replaying that part now with a new character.

wotter said:

Can you give an overall impression of the visuals and performance of the PS3 version (vs. 360) in the review copy?

I love this game!!!! I know Im going to play this more than one time:lol :loI So much options to do...I now wish I put more time in Mass Effect when I had it on 360... Im going to try to get this game day 1....:D

Chinner

Banned
urgh, what have they done to ashleys armour?

edit; not surprised some people are not liking this. without playing me1 most players have no reason to care about anything, and with me2 having no main story they have no incentive to care.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Chinner said:

I think they said that character now defaults to Liara, regardless of whether you pick male or female.

I wonder if it will change based on the romance chosen during the comic.

mokeyjoe

Thunder Monkey said:
The core game of the second is much more refined and stable on the 360, so I can see that. It's a much much better shooter then the first. A great unique shooter even. But they really ditched a lot of the RPGishness that the first had.

Both great games, but if they didn't share a universe they'd feel like two different great games.

The main issue I'm having with ME1 is that the RPG elements are pretty half-arsed or a bit broken, so I'm not all like 'yay, RPG stuff!'. The equipment management is especially terrible and I don't miss the game telling me I'm near the 150 item limit every time I open a damn crate. I suppose the ideal solution would have been to revamp the RPG bits not sweep them under the carpet :). Much as I would have liked to have seen an expanded and improved galaxy exploration, free ranging RPG side I find it hard not to warm to how much slicker everything seems in the sequel. I mean outside of the 'loot' there isn't much more RPG in ME1, there's the Mako but that's not very RPG like. I do like the Mako though, although its missions are dull.

To me they still feel like very similar games, probably because the thing I most identify with Mass Effect is the dialogue and characterisation. Besides it's my Shepard up there, and we've been through a lot together.

Rad-

I'm thinking the demo is an old build. The performance is about the same as ME1 was for 360, with even more screen tearing actually. I doubt the full version will be like this but we shall see.

Mr_Zombie

Chinner said:
Isn't that Liara, and not Ashley? I remember it was said that one of the changes made to PS3 ME2 is that when you're playing default Shepard it's Liara on the Normandy, and not Ashley/Kaiden.

Chinner

Banned
Mr_Zombie said:
Isn't that Liara, and not Ashley? I remember it was said that one of the changes made to PS3 ME2 is that when you're playing default Shepard it's Liara on the Normandy, and not Ashley/Kaiden.
thats pretty sickening, hopefully the comic will allow users to pick the superior racist ashley over the boring ive got mummy issues liara.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom