• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 PS3 releasing on Jan. 18 (NA) and Jan. 21 (EU) | Demo Dec. 22

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeseus

Mr_Brit said:
Daaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnn at those screenshots. Worse textures, missing shadows, lower shadow resolution, missing/lower quality normal maps. Can't believe that after a year and using a new engine that Bioware couldn't match the 360 version.

are you looking at magaziners shots or what?

i see better/different lighting on PS3
Textures are same
shadows are higher resolution on PS3 ... of course shadows are missing or are different because ps3 port have different lighting angles ..omg
only specular seems higher resolution on X ..

dwebo

StuBurns said:
The assets look the same to me, the saturation and contrast are clearly different though.
Hmm, you're right. The 360 just looks more contrasty, as per usual. I blame my poor eyesight and lack of sleep.
I also don't want to double dip :(

Mr_Brit

Banned
Jeseus said:
are you looking at magaziners shots or what?

i see better/different lighting on PS3
Textures are same
shadows are higher resolution on PS3 ... of course shadows are missing or are different because ps3 port have different lighting angles ..omg
only specular seems higher resolution on X ..
???

a0037809_4d11ddaf5b742.jpg

a0037809_4d11ddb38bc6f.jpg

PS3

Ninja-Matic said:
Just giving my opinion which everyone is entitled to - no matter the outcome.

Ah - you're one of those "my opinion is the right opinion" people.

*pats you on head*

That's nice.

You just call out people that like this game that they "have no standard". And now you are again being condescending and you wondering why people laugh at your post.

Ok...

jett

D-Member
What was that BS a couple of people were spouting about the 360 version using 2XMSAA? They both look horrifically jaggie. I think I'd prefer QAA to be implemented.

Mr_Brit

Banned
jett said:
What was that BS a couple of people were spouting about the 360 version using 2XMSAA? They both look horrifically jaggie. I think I'd prefer QAA to be implemented.
The 360 version does use 2xMSAA it's just that due to the way the engine works pretty much all of its effect is destroyed. I think it is due to the fact that it is deferred/uses mutiple rendering targets(MRT).

jett

D-Member
Mr_Brit said:
The 360 version does use 2xMSAA it's just that due to the way the engine works pretty much all of its effect is destroyed. I think it is due to the fact that it is deferred/uses mutiple rendering targets(MRT).

It's obvious to anyone with working eyes that it doesn't use shit.

Mr_Brit said:
Daaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnn at those screenshots. Worse textures, missing shadows, lower shadow resolution, missing/lower quality normal maps. Can't believe that after a year and using a new engine that Bioware couldn't match the 360 version.

Edit: Top screenshots are 360, bottom are PS3.
Edit: Some of the lighting composition appears to be different, likely due to the game using the ME3 engine. At least PS3 owners get that perk even though pretty much everything else is worse.

The hell are you smoking? Textures are exactly the same, "missing shadows" is nothing but a different lighting, in some shots it's the 360 version that's "missing shadows". normal maps are exactly the same too. There's some contrast differences as there are in all MP games. 360 games always look darker.

It's pretty obvious that pretty much all the differences are due to the changes in the engine for ME3.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I just played the demo. The game played pretty smooth, and is it me or is the gameplay more snappy? I remember the walking and running to be a bit more slower and methodical on the 360, or maybe it is just the looser sticks playing tricks on me. Also, it appears every character's skin texture dropped a shade lighter. Don't now why they did that.

Anyway, the game's framerate clearly is not locked to 30. You can tell it goes to 60 at times. Tearing is a non issue during gameplay, but I actually saw tearing in the ME1 cinematic FMV. WTF?

The screens clearly show a different lighting system at play in the PS3 port, self shadowing is less harsh than the 360, so you tend to see more of each character's faces during closeups. Shadows are slightly less pixellated than the 360 as well. It is different, clearly, but am not sure this can be considered an 'improvement'. Textures assets appear downright identical, though the 360 has higher contrast, as usual.

All in all, a good port. Other than the slightly faster at times but more variable framerate, it is nigh identical to the 360 version. However, the only way I will double dip is if they remove the goddamn scanning mini game. Goddamn Bioware, what were they smoking when they put it into the game?

TheSeks said:
And no face creation in the PS3 demo (I think) compared to the 360/PC demos is WTF. DEFAULT SHEPARD SUCKS.
Hmm? There was face creation in the demo. I created the cutest smiliest commander shepard ever.

I played Mass Effect 1 on a friend's xbox a couple of years ago (maybe even a bit more), but only the first two hours or so. I enjoyed it a lot (A LOT), it kind of gave me a KotOR-ish vibe, which is a good thing for me. I've planned on eventually getting a 360 myself to play it (among other games) or even a decent PC to play it (as well as a lot of other PC games which I want to play) but when I played this demo (which didn't feel like a bad demo at all) I didn't really enjoy it that much. Rooms feel kind of empty and I worry that there isn't much exploration but only moving from one fight to another. I've read that even if the game is awesome (GOTY for a lot of people it seems) it's been stripped of a lot of RPG conventions that I enjoy (mostly micromanagement of stats, inventory, etc). So, here's a question for the guys who already own/played this game: will I enjoy this game as an RPG even if I'm not particularly interested in the story? I was for ME1 but can't seem to understand half of the stuff going on in this one.

Bonus question! I still want to own and play ME1, but I usually play my multiplatform games on PS3, so I'm wondering if I'm going to miss out on something by owning the first game on a platform and the sequel for another?

Chinner

Banned
i haven't played the ps3 demo so i'm just judging purely based on these screenshots, but is it me or does the quality of lighting seem really inconsistent? in some shots its look better than the x360, sometime it looks the same and the rest it looks bad.

Mr_Brit

Banned
FunkyPajamas said:
Hmm? There was face creation in the demo. I created the cutest smiliest commander shepard ever.

I played Mass Effect 1 on a friend's xbox a couple of years ago (maybe even a bit more), but only the first two hours or so. I enjoyed it a lot (A LOT), it kind of gave me a KotOR-ish vibe, which is a good thing for me. I've planned on eventually getting a 360 myself to play it (among other games) or even a decent PC to play it (as well as a lot of other PC games which I want to play) but when I played this demo (which didn't feel like a bad demo at all) I didn't really enjoy it that much. Rooms feel kind of empty and I worry that there isn't much exploration but only moving from one fight to another. I've read that even if the game is awesome (GOTY for a lot of people it seems) it's been stripped of a lot of RPG conventions that I enjoy (mostly micromanagement of stats, inventory, etc). So, here's a question for the guys who already own/played the game: will I enjoy this game as an RPG even if I'm not particularly interested in the story? I was for ME1 but can't seem to understand half of the stuff going on in this one.

Bonus question! I still want to own and play ME1, but I usually play my multiplatform games on PS3, so I'm wondering if I'm going to miss out on something by owning the first game on a platform and the sequel for another?
You can import your ME1 save game into ME2 and your ME1 and ME2 savegames into ME3 so it'd be wiser to get it on PC or 360 if you can although it's not necessary as the PS3 version includes a comic which details the main events of the first game and lets you make all the major decisions.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Mr_Brit said:
???
360 pic

ps3 pic

If you look you can even see the kink in shepard's model on the left shoulder and the his left hand on his face within the shadow. I can't make out those details in the top pic. I think that's what he meant by higher res. Or maybe they are just different ways of processing the shadows. I'm no expert.

Mr_Brit

Banned
bobbytkc said:
If you look you can even see the kink in shepard's model on the left shoulder and the his left hand on his face within the shadow. I can't make out those details in the top pic. I think that's what he meant by higher res. Or maybe they are just different ways of processing the shadows. I'm no expert.
That's got nothing to do with resolution and is to do with the way the scene is lit. The new ME3 engine appears to light things differently to the older 360/PC versions.

Kyoufu

Mr_Brit said:
You can import your ME1 save game into ME2 and your ME1 and ME2 savegames into ME3 so it'd be wiser to get it on PC or 360 if you can although it's not necessary as the PS3 version includes a comic which details the main events of the first game and lets you make all the major decisions.

I have the 360 versions of both and with this port to PS3 there is no reason left for me to pick it up on 360 ever again.

The import save feature is terrible and you should feel terrible for suggesting it is something more than just a gimmick.

Mr_Brit said:
You can import your ME1 save game into ME2 and your ME1 and ME2 savegames into ME3 so it'd be wiser to get it on PC or 360 if you can.
Oh, nice. What does the save import feature bring over? Character customization, inventory, stats and party configuration? Or just character/stats?
Kyoufu said:
The import save feature is terrible and you should feel terrible for suggesting it is something more than just a gimmick.
Really? Is it just cosmetic? If it doesn't carry over the inventory/stats I'm not interested then. Could you please elaborate?

Mr_Brit

Banned
Kyoufu said:
I have the 360 versions of both and with this port to PS3 there is no reason left for me to pick it up on 360 ever again.

The import save feature is terrible and you should feel terrible for suggesting it isn't anything more than a gimmick.
Woah. I didn't say it was anything more than that, I even said it wasn't necessary as the PS3 included a recap comic book with all the major decisions. To be fair though we don't know how Bioware is going to implement the save game transfer into the third game so it could be a lot better than the implementation in the second game.

Kyoufu

FunkyPajamas said:
Oh, nice. What does the save import feature bring over? Character customization, inventory, stats and party configuration? Or just character/stats?

The only thing that carries over is character appearance and the choices you made. You get bonuses for unlocking achievements such as maximum level in the previous game but the bonuses are so minscule and irrelevant that its just not a big deal. I was pretty disappointed with how ME2 handled ME1 choices.

There is no inventory in ME2 btw :lol

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
FunkyPajamas said:

I played Mass Effect 1 on a friend's xbox a couple of years ago (maybe even a bit more), but only the first two hours or so. I enjoyed it a lot (A LOT), it kind of gave me a KotOR-ish vibe, which is a good thing for me. I've planned on eventually getting a 360 myself to play it (among other games) or even a decent PC to play it (as well as a lot of other PC games which I want to play) but when I played this demo (which didn't feel like a bad demo at all) I didn't really enjoy it that much. Rooms feel kind of empty and I worry that there isn't much exploration but only moving from one fight to another. I've read that even if the game is awesome (GOTY for a lot of people it seems) it's been stripped of a lot of RPG conventions that I enjoy (mostly micromanagement of stats, inventory, etc). So, here's a question for the guys who already own/played this game: will I enjoy this game as an RPG even if I'm not particularly interested in the story? I was for ME1 but can't seem to understand half of the stuff going on in this one.

There is a backstory comic in the PS3 version where you can make decisions that will carry over to ME2, similar to how saves from ME1 are brought over to ME2 in the 360 version. So it is perfectly fine to play ME1 on some other platform without missing out anything.

I completed the game at launch on the 360, so my comments are: if you are not interested in the story, you are probably not going to enjoy it much as an RPG. It's RPG elements are light, and concentrated on the various dialogue decisions and plotpoints. If you are not interested in those, you may be disappointed in ME2. There is also little exploration elements in ME2 compared to ME1. Outside of the city areas, it is mostly a corridor shooter with a few branching paths.

Edit: and I'd like to add, even if you never played ME1, you won't be missing any content on ME2 outside of a few story references/cameos. The Impact of decisions made in ME1 is practically negligible.

jett

D-Member
FunkyPajamas said:

Just two things, your face(which you can alter anyway) and decisions you made in ME1, which turn out to be quite irrelevant in ME2. I did like like the little references to my past exploits though, it's really just nice detail, nothing more

Kyoufu said:
The only thing that carries over is character appearance and the choices you made. You get bonuses for unlocking achievements such as maximum level in the previous game but the bonuses are so minscule and irrelevant that its just not a big deal. I was pretty disappointed with how ME2 handled ME1 choices.
Ugh. Well, I guess this means I don't have to own the sequels for 360 then. Thanks for clearing it up.

Also, is there a way to lower/holster my weapon when I'm walking around? I feel like a tool with the weapon raised all the time. Makes me feel I'm playing a third person shooter with mediocre shooting mechanics.

Darkatomz

^Hit select.

Eh... I played the first segment of the demo yesterday (was my first time playing anything ME), and the controls felt a little tank-y to me. But I guess this was expected since ME is still classified as a RPG and not a TPS.

I think I prefer the look of the ME3 engine over the ME2 engine judging from the screens, but I definitely noticed the tearing and framerate problems in the PS3 demo. Don't know how they compare personally to the X360 and PC versions, as I never played those.

I WAS planning on getting ME2 for the PS3 and playing ME1 on the PC, but I'm kinda leaning towards just getting both from Steam this week during the holiday sale and playing them there (I'm assuming that the DLC is on Steam as well?). Won't have to rely on an interactive comic to carry previous game actions through, and will obviously get better performance. The cost will be the pain of setting it up on PC and playing it with a X360 controller instead of a DS3. Oh, and essentially being forced to play ME3 on the PC as well.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Darkatomz said:
^Hit select.

Eh... I played the first segment of the demo yesterday (was my first time playing anything ME), and the controls felt a little tank-y to me. But I guess this was expected since ME is still classified as a RPG and not a TPS.

I think I prefer the look of the ME3 engine over the ME2 engine judging from the screens, but I definitely noticed the tearing and framerate problems in the PS3 demo. Don't know how they compare personally to the X360 and PC versions, as I never played those.

I WAS planning on getting ME2 for the PS3 and playing ME1 on the PC, but I'm kinda leaning towards just getting both from Steam this week during the holiday sale and playing them there (I'm assuming that the DLC is on Steam as well?). Won't have to rely on an interactive comic to carry previous game actions through, and will obviously get better performance. The cost will be the pain of setting it up on PC and playing it with a X360 controller instead of a DS3. Oh, and essentially being forced to play ME3 on the PC as well.

I think... you are better with sticking to playing the entire sries on the PC

Darkatomz

bobbytkc said:
I think... you are better with sticking to playing the entire sries on the PC
Probably. I generally prefer playing games on console over a computer if I had the choice just for simplicity's sake, even when there will be a difference in terms of visuals and performance. Yeah, unpopular opinion something something. Whatever.

The biggest reason why I hesitated was because the PS3 version of ME2 was going to be using the ME3 engine.

bobbytkc said:
I completed the game at launch on the 360, so my comments are: if you are not interested in the story, you are probably not going to enjoy it much as an RPG. It's RPG elements are light, and concentrated on the various dialogue decisions and plotpoints. If you are not interested in those, you may be disappointed in ME2. There is also little exploration elements in ME2 compared to ME1. Outside of the city areas, it is mostly a corridor shooter with a few branching paths.
Oh, that's not what I wanted to hear ):
Thanks for answering. I'll probably play the demo a bit more and make up my mind. The shooting mechanics aren't really good. Or at least they don't feel good to me, so I think I'm going to wait for a price drop (or see if I can get some amazon credit if I preorder), but I don't feel like spending U$60 on this.
jett said:
Just two things, your face(which you can alter anyway) and decisions you made in ME1, which turn out to be quite irrelevant in ME2. I did like like the little references to my past exploits though, it's really just nice detail, nothing more
Yeah, it's mostly cosmetic then, not really interested in that. Thanks for pointing that out.

Sad to hear confirmation of no inventory.
Darkatomz said:
^Hit select.
Ha! Cool, thanks. I'll replay later and maybe I'll feel a bit more positive about the whole thing.

Thanks!

First time playing a Mass Effect game and I'm not very impressed. Couldn't muster the energy to even finish the demo. Just didn't click. Bargain bin purchase maybe. Won't have to wait long because the games going to bomb.

Chinner

Banned
it's true that me2 made the import character feature pretty redundant, but i think it's just really important that if you're interested in me2 that you should play me1. seriously one of the best experiences ever, and i can't imagine how cold it must be to play me2 without any of the knowledge or emotion that you gained from me1.

AlStrong

Jeseus said:
can you see the hand of Shepard in the shadow on X + nasty dithering ??which is better?

Well clearly the PS3 shadows are a symbolic statement about how on edge Shepard is at this point of the game. The 360 version merely shows that Shepard's present state and near future is uncertain.

Shadows look like crap in both situations. -_-

StuBurns

Banned
criesofthepast said:
First time playing a Mass Effect game and I'm not very impressed. Couldn't muster the energy to even finish the demo. Just didn't click. Bargain bin purchase maybe. Won't have to wait long because the games going to bomb.
I've only really played maybe an hour of ME2, but ME1 was certainly a very different experience when it opened up at the citadel. I wouldn't write off the game based on the demo, I doubt it's a bland corridor shooter (right ME2 players? Right???).

Konosuke

Ugh, still buggy. I got stuck at the first stairs in the Normandy. I was expecting it to run little bit better. I guess I'll do a FemShep on the PC instead.

Chinner said:
it's true that me2 made the import character feature pretty redundant, but i think it's just really important that if you're interested in me2 that you should play me1. seriously one of the best experiences ever, and i can't imagine how cold it must be to play me2 without any of the knowledge or emotion that you gained from me1.
Oh, I do plan on playing ME1, as I mentioned before it reminded me of KotOR and I love that game too much to not play something that feels like a spiritual successor. In case your post was directed at me :lol

Suzzopher

criesofthepast said:

What didn't you like about it?

Durante

I played the game on PC and I have to say any small differences in quality between the 2 console versions are negligible considering their overall fuglyness.

MCD

Chinner said:
You are one emotional duck.

.la1n

criesofthepast said:

It's a pretty tough game to judge based on a demo honestly.

Chinner

Banned
FunkyPajamas said:
Oh, I do plan on playing ME1, as I mentioned before it reminded me of KotOR and I love that game too much to not play something that feels like a spiritual successor. In case your post was directed at me :lol
not really. i just think it's a shame that ps3 players are going to play a pretty decent sequel, but get a comic book version of what i would say is game of the generation.

i just don't know why ea didn't port over ME1 as well. it's just so crazy but it doesn't shock me that people are getting a hohum reaction to ME2. ME2 without ME1 really means nothing, i mean OPENING SPOILERS REALLY FUCKING BASIC BUT YO
normandy gets destroyed and shepard gets killed
thats like a huge holy shit moment for anyone who played me1, if you havent played me1 you'd probably be like "why should i care?".

StuBurns

Banned
Chinner said:
not really. i just think it's a shame that ps3 players are going to play a pretty decent sequel, but get a comic book version of what i would say is game of the generation.

i just don't know why ea didn't port over ME1 as well. it's just so crazy but it doesn't shock me that people are getting a hohum reaction to ME2. ME2 without ME1 really means nothing, i mean OPENING SPOILERS REALLY FUCKING BASIC BUT YO
normandy gets destroyed and shepard gets killed
thats like a huge holy shit moment for anyone who played me1, if you havent played me1 you'd probably be like "why should i care?".
Because MGS published it.

masterkajo

Just played the PS3 demo. All I could see is some different lightning and colors and some more screen tearing perhaps. And right during the Mordin mission my PS3 froze - So I guess I will not triple dip but leave it at XBox360 (for comfy couch experience) and PC version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom