• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 PS3 releasing on Jan. 18 (NA) and Jan. 21 (EU) | Demo Dec. 22

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
... and it's not out until 20th next month. Fuck, I want this bad.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Stallion Free said:
I used to want gamepad support too until I played this demo and I realized I hate using gamepads for Mass Effect. They just don't cut for proper Vanguarding and I immediately missed the hotkeys.
Well, it's a comfort thing for me since I only play PC games in front of my TV. I can deal with mouse and keyboard when I must, but I don't like it anymore. Monitors that can compete with my TV simply don't exist, unfortunately. I use my monitor upstairs for office tasks and use the TV downstairs for gaming.

Lince

Banned
miladesn said:
It's basically like this: you see a chest high wall or some boxes obviously placed in front of you and you know some enemies are going to spawn, it's very predictable. you reach the end of the many corridors the game has and flip a switch, bam! mission completed, repeat this for the entire game.some interesting, well written characters and plots in the game and that's about it, main plot is very short and not very interesting.

this x 1000

couldn't say it better myself, you forgot the planet scanning "fun" and the laughable final boss though. ME2 is a total disappointment compared to ME1.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
LiK said:
Seriously, now I want to play ME1 before I start anything that has to do with ME2. The "Previously on ME" at the start of the demo was so confusing :lol

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
dark10x said:
Well, it's a comfort thing for me since I only play PC games in front of my TV. I can deal with mouse and keyboard when I must, but I don't like it anymore. Monitors that can compete with my TV simply don't exist, unfortunately. I use my monitor upstairs for office tasks and use the TV downstairs for gaming.
I use a 42 inch Panny Plasma (G25) with a lap desk for MKB games. Set up works great. Mass Effect looks incredible on it with 1080p 8x AA.

Karak

Suzzopher said:
Seeing it running side by side, the PS3 version does look nicer. More cinematic even. The textures have less detail though.
I didn't notice a giant jump in ...cinematic(I am not sure what you mean) but the textures are indeed less detailed on the PS3 version. Which is unique and not what I expected. The shadows do a couple really screwy things as well.
As always it seems tit-for-tat when it comes to a direct comparison.
Not enough there for me to buy it again especially when its on the PC.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
FLEABttn said:
Which pretty much ruined my raging space lesbian Shepard that I imported from ME1.
:lol
Butch Fem Shep+Ash always made more sense to me than Fem Shep+Carth 2.0

StuBurns said:
Is it only Liara though?
Yup.
No other same sex relationships, just some lap dances from random Asari and a private dance from your secretary (probably NSFW).

LiK

Yoshichan said:
Seriously, now I want to play ME1 before I start anything that has to do with ME2. The "Previously on ME" at the start of the demo was so confusing :lol
Definitely check out ME1. Play Easy if you don't like the dice roll combat. It sets up the world better and has alot of great dialogue. Alot of setup for returning characters you see in ME2 as well. Comic recap is not the same at all.

Tomasooie

The lighting looks really awkward a lot of the time on PS3.

35m2j4i.png

StuBurns

Banned
Miranda looks worse in the lighting there, but it is better on PS3, look at her neck and the top of her shirt. The light on the 'front' of the hair by her neck too.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Tomasooie said:
The lighting looks really awkward a lot of the time on PS3.

35m2j4i.png

God damn. I hope this isn't what the lighting for ME3 looks like on all platforms.

Just finished the demo, it runs well enough and it definitely looks better than the 360 version. I don't think I will switch off of the PC version for it, but it is good to know that BioWare did a good job for the PS3 only crowd.

Arjen

Killthee said:
:lol
Butch Fem Shep+Ash always made more sense to me than Fem Shep+Carth 2.0

Yup.
No other same sex relationships, just some lap dances from random Asari and a private dance from your secretary (probably NSFW).

Not entirly true you can
BIG ME2 SPOILER
Femshep can have sex with Morinth, it will kill you though

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Arjen said:
Not entirly true you can
BIG ME2 SPOILER
Femshep can have sex with Morinth, it will kill you though
Forgot about that one :lol

Chinner said:
it's nothing to do with people prefering me1 over me2 due to the rpg elements. me1 is light on them while me2 basically has none. it's because me1 delivers a stronger and more memorable experience by having stronger and better storyline among with many other things.
Oh, ok. I'm definitely moving this down on my must have list. Will probably pick when it hits U$40 or so.

Also, is it possible to not have a relationship with anybody in the game? Male/Female? I want my FemShep to be forever alone.

mintylurb

StuBurns said:
Miranda looks worse in the lighting there, but it is better on PS3, look at her neck and the top of her shirt. The light on the 'front' of the hair by her neck too.
Yeah. The lighting on Miranda looks a bit off but "awkward a lot of the time on PS3"? I mean really now..

Coxswain

StuBurns said:
I've always preferred Japanese RPGs, ME1 was really the first (and so far only) Western RPG I've really enjoyed, and even then it was a mixed bag. From the little I've played of ME2, the combat is massively better. But the general opinion seems to be that the first one is better. What is the second one lacking?
From someone who thought Mass Effect 2 was far and away the superior game by just about any measure:

- Mass Effect 2 has a TV-Series style plot compared to the first game's Movie style plot. There's a lot more stuff going on, and the average quality is better than that of the first game, but the bulk of it is in smaller, more episodic substories, with most individual 'episodes' contributing only a little to the central plot, and a relatively small portion of the game is specifically centered around the main conflict. If you prefer the movie-style structure where the central thread is always paramount, you'll probably prefer the story of ME1.
- If you don't actually need to be doing anything to have fun, ME1 is the better game. That sounds like a pretty backhanded thing to say (and I guess it sort of is), but what I mean is, if driving around an empty planet in a rover, looking up at a really gorgeous skybox and sort of taking in a quiet, empty atmosphere really appeals to you, then ME2 has almost none of that. It's still got a ton of gorgeous-looking places to go, and there's a lot more variety to them, but there's always "something happening" in them. I'm trying not to less this sound like too much of a slam, because I actually did enjoy this stuff in ME1, but at the same time I can't rightfully say that there was much of a game going on at the time.

Beyond those two things, there's mostly a bunch of bellyaching about how the presentation of the game has changed. Because skill points are only used to upgrade skills, and your other stats are developed through a different interface, people conclude that those stats have been somehow removed as RPG elements; there's anywhere from 4x to 6x the number of unique weapons, depending on DLC (and not counting Heavy Weapons which are analogous to having another skill slot with, I think around 6-9 unique ways to fill it), but since you find them and their upgrades in specific places instead of having them drop randomly from enemies, people interpret that as there being no inventory, etc.
So I guess the legitimate argument there is that if you prefer traditional RPG interface, with loads of visible stats, micromanagement of micro-sized effects, and everything being available through your start menu, then that aspect of the game is delivered on in ME1, and mostly gone in ME2. Anybody who tells you that these things are outright missing, though, hasn't put any thought into analyzing what's actually under the hood of the interface.

Paracelsus

chandoog said:
God damn. I hope this isn't what the lighting for ME3 looks like on all platforms.

It looks like they took all the selfshadowing which is missing from the other screens and slapped it on her face. ._.

stupei

StuBurns said:
That does sound kind of disappointing. It's not a good enough shooter to warrant that being the focus. But still, I'm keen to see it thru at this point.
I honestly wouldn't say that shooting is the focus. The focus is still on what makes the game an RPG, but instead of stats it is more concerned with dialogue trees and the almost dating sim style of developing relationships with your crew.

Focus is still on making it a RPG, just not the parts of a RPG a lot of GAF cares about.

Lyonaz

I forgot all about the Code at the bottom of the character creation screen, guess I can recreate my awesome Elena Shepard from the xbox360 version and get her ready for ME3 on PS3.:D

stupei

Yoshichan said:
Oh, how do I put down my weapon? Or can't I until specific points of the game?

Edit: Also, if I choose my Sheppard to be female, can I still
have sex with female characters?
You can in some of the DLC included on disc.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Stallion Free said:
I use a 42 inch Panny Plasma (G25) with a lap desk for MKB games. Set up works great. Mass Effect looks incredible on it with 1080p 8x AA.
I have a lap desk too and it isn't bad.

What I would LOVE to get is a WIRELESS Nostromo. That thing is so much better for living room gaming, but the wire is an issue so I often stick to my wireless keyboard instead.

Tomasooie

Always-honest said:
it's ugly, but the worst image from the lot. The rest looks very natural in lighting
Not exactly..

mintylurb said:
Yeah. The lighting on Miranda looks a bit off but "awkward a lot of the time on PS3"? I mean really now..
Yes. The shadows are more pronounced, but that makes it look unrealistic.

Look at the shadows under his eyebrow, lip, and face, and on the underside of his nose -- they're way too dark.

27zkejd.png

n2h00p.png

2uh7jnc.png

25thlax.png

So your character from the demo transfers into the game right? I got super far into the demo and the fucking thing froze right after the Wilson scene, anyone else encounter this?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Looks like they didn't bother to polish the new shadow system or whatever on the ME2 content.

I get the feeling ME3 won't have the same issues as it is being built from the start with this stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom