• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 PS3 releasing on Jan. 18 (NA) and Jan. 21 (EU) | Demo Dec. 22

Status
Not open for further replies.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Looks fine to me. It definitely isn't enhanced, but everything seems to be in tact. Some of the textures even appear cleaner (such as Miranda's suit). The difference in screencaps (contrast) are where the difference stems from.

How does it run, though?

Chinner

Banned
StuBurns said:
Because MGS published it.
i know that. let me rephrase. me2 is a pretty decent game but thats only if you've played me1, without me1 i can understand why people are not liking it.

dark10x

StuBurns said:
I agree, heard the PC version was a big improvement though.
Only in terms of performance, really. The 360 version has terrible performance problems. Bad framerates and texture loading problems all over the place. Better than KOTOR on XBOX, but still not great.

ME2 was a huge improvement in that regard.

LiK

StuBurns said:
Yea, PC ver fixed stuff ppl didn't like in the 360 ver like popup textures and UI. I didn't get it tho since my PC can't handle it.

masterkajo

dark10x said:
Looks fine to me. It definitely isn't enhanced, but everything seems to be in tact. Some of the textures even appear cleaner (such as Miranda's suit). The difference in screencaps (contrast) are where the difference stems from.

How does it run, though?
I noticed too that the suits of Miranda and Jacob seem to be a bit clearer and sharper. The game had some screen tearing in the opening cutscene (which I don't remember from the Xbox version) as well as some low FPS. The gameplay was fine though, IIRC.

-viper-

Banned
I played the PS3 demo and it looks good. Runs great too.

For an UE3 engine game, it's a solid port. Frankly I could care less if some shadows or textures look poorer 'in screenshots', but when you're playing it, you don't notice any of that shit. It looks a bit jaggy, but overall, it looks decent in motion.

Pooya

StuBurns said:
I've only really played maybe an hour of ME2, but ME1 was certainly a very different experience when it opened up at the citadel. I wouldn't write off the game based on the demo, I doubt it's a bland corridor shooter (right ME2 players? Right???).
err... it is sorta, worst offender of chest high walls and box based level design IMO.
It's basically like this: you see a chest high wall or some boxes obviously placed in front of you and you know some enemies are going to spawn, it's very predictable. you reach the end of the many corridors the game has and flip a switch, bam! mission completed, repeat this for the entire game.
some interesting, well written characters and plots in the game and that's about it, main plot is very short and not very interesting.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
StuBurns said:
-60 fps, flawless image quality
-Solid MKB controls with a completely reworked UI built around it
-Good Mako controls
-First/best DLC for free
-Hotkeys for powers completely changing the flow of combat and making it much more smooth, really a huge fucking improvement.

jett said:
ME1 borders on suckage, never understood the GOTG moniker for that game.
Really? I played the opening hours (I think I may have reached the Citadel but don't quite remember) and I loved it. Reminded me of KotOR a lot. Not quote GOTG, but I can see how people would have thought it was GOTY material.

I enjoyed dropping on the Mako to explore planets, I enjoyed the sidequests, the party companions were amusing (I loved Wrex) and I was having fun leveling up and making progress. ME1 is the only reason why I was very interested in ME2, and one of the few reasons why I'm still considering getting a 360.

Some people seem to think ME2 is a better game and it seems a few others seem to like ME1 better. And I guess that depends on whether you enjoyed the RPG elements in the first or not.

[edit] I want to make clear that my "really?" doesn't mean that I am invalidating your opinion, it's just that I didn't expect anybody to refer to ME1 as "borders on suckage". Unless you mean performance-wise on 360, from what I've read. So, it was an honest "really?".

I'm also thinking that some people didn't enjoy the Mako exploration but came to... ah... appreciate it when it was switched for planet scanning (also based on what I've read).

StuBurns

Banned
supermackem said:
http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/masseffect2-360-vs-ps3-faceoff?size=hd

Video comparison done by the folks at digital foundry. I have to say i like the lighting on the ps3 and theyve added some strange little touches to the cut scenes like lights and other things.
PS3 version does look better actually.

miladesn said:
err... it is sorta, worst offender of chest high walls and box based level design IMO.
It's basically like this: you see a chest high wall or some boxes obviously placed in front of you and you know some enemies are going to spawn, it's very predictable. you reach the end of the many corridors the game has and flip a switch, bam! mission completed, repeat this for the entire game.
some interesting, well written characters and plots in the game and that's about it, main plot is very short and not very interesting.
But is there as much of the character interaction stuff in ME2? That was really the highlight of ME1 for me. It was a sloppy combat game.

I've always preferred Japanese RPGs, ME1 was really the first (and so far only) Western RPG I've really enjoyed, and even then it was a mixed bag. From the little I've played of ME2, the combat is massively better. But the general opinion seems to be that the first one is better. What is the second one lacking?

dark10x

Stallion Free said:
-Good Mako controls
-First/best DLC for free
-Hotkeys for powers completely changing the flow of combat and making it much more smooth, really a huge fucking improvement.
If it had gamepad support, I would have replayed it. I don't see why they didn't at least offer us the option.

sajj316

Hey guys. New to Mass Effect so quick question. When does ME2 start in the demo? The beginning where the ship gets attacked ... is that the end of ME1 or the beginning of ME2? It's the gameplay section I was referring to when he interacts with Joker.

Suzzopher

sajj316 said:
Hey guys. New to Mass Effect so quick question. When does ME2 start in the demo? The beginning where the ship gets attacked ... is that the end of ME1 or the beginning of ME2? It's the gameplay section I was referring to when he interacts with Joker.

That is the beginning of ME2.

Chinner

Banned
FunkyPajamas said:
Really? I played the opening hours (I think I may have reached the Citadel but don't quite remember) and I loved it. Reminded me of KotOR a lot. Not quote GOTG, but I can see how people would have thought it was GOTY material.

I enjoyed dropping on the Mako to explore planets, I enjoyed the sidequests, the party companions were amusing (I loved Wrex) and I was having fun leveling up and making progress. ME1 is the only reason why I was very interested in ME2, and one of the few reasons why I'm still considering getting a 360.

Some people seem to think ME2 is a better game and it seems a few others seem to like ME1 better. And I guess that depends on whether you enjoyed the RPG elements in the first or not.
it's nothing to do with people prefering me1 over me2 due to the rpg elements. me1 is light on them while me2 basically has none. it's because me1 delivers a stronger and more memorable experience by having stronger and better storyline among with many other things.

Kyoufu

Stallion Free said:
-Good Mako controls
-First/best DLC for free

I remember watching the first gameplay unveils of Mass Erect and it had free-flowing menu-less combat just like the PC version. Not sure why they took it out :/

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
dark10x said:
If it had gamepad support, I would have replayed it. I don't see why they didn't at least offer us the option.
I used to want gamepad support too until I played this demo and I realized I hate using gamepads for Mass Effect. They just don't cut for proper Vanguarding and I immediately missed the hotkeys.

Kyoufu

Stallion Free said:
I used to want gamepad support too until I played this demo and I realized I hate using gamepads for Mass Effect. They just don't cut for proper Vanguarding and I immediately missed the hotkeys.

Eh I dunno... There aren't as many abilities/powers to use in ME2 at one time than there were in ME1 so I thought mapping the other stuff to the controller triggers/face buttons was more than enough.

In ME1 I had so many powers on my Vanguard that I needed a keyboard really. In ME2 I used Charge and one other thing maybe. It also doesn't help that there is a global cooldown preventing you from using abilities back to back. God I wish they take that out for ME3.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Kyoufu said:
Eh I dunno... There aren't as many abilities/powers to use in ME2 at one time than there were in ME1 so I thought mapping the other stuff to the controller triggers/face buttons was more than enough.

In ME1 I had so many powers on my Vanguard that I needed a keyboard really. In ME2 I used Charge and one other thing maybe. It also doesn't help that there is a global cooldown preventing you from using abilities back to back. God I wish they take that out for ME3.
You can hotkey your teammates powers. Hotkeys are just as useful in ME2 because of that.

StuBurns said:
I've always preferred Japanese RPGs, ME1 was really the first (and so far only) Western RPG I've really enjoyed, and even then it was a mixed bag. From the little I've played of ME2, the combat is massively better. But the general opinion seems to be that the first one is better. What is the second one lacking?

The RPG side of things has been toned down in a major way. You still earn skill points and allocate them to 'combat powers', but the number of powers are streamlined in comparison to ME1. Add to that the cumbersome inventory collection and management system of ME1 has been completely removed; there's no buying and selling of excess equipment this time around.

I'd say ME1 is a lot closer to the style and pace of KotoR, and it's that familiarity that breeds a lot of the sentimentalism you'll find tossed about in these conversations. So if you don't like ME2's focus on combat ahead of arena-level conversations and fetching quests, you probably will not enjoy the 15-20 hours you spend with it.

Don

I'm haven't finished the demo yet but so far I think it looks great except for the shadows being a bit weird.

The way the shadows appear on Miranda's face make her look really odd at times but during the intro cutscene with Miranda and the Illusive Man she looked fine.

Also, I only played Mass Effect 1 on PC and haven't played Mass Effect 2 at all except for this demo but I'm finding the controls to be kind of clunky when using a controller. Maybe I just need to play a bit more to get used to them.

StuBurns

Banned
bonesmccoy said:
I'd say ME1 is a lot closer to the style and pace of KotoR, and it's that familiarity that breeds a lot of the sentimentalism you'll find tossed about in these conversations. So if you don't like ME2's focus on combat ahead of arena-level conversations and fetching quests, you probably will not enjoy the 15-20 hours you spend with it.
That does sound kind of disappointing. It's not a good enough shooter to warrant that being the focus. But still, I'm keen to see it thru at this point.

tass0

Banned
StuBurns said:

That's funny, because I HATED Mass Effect 1 on PC. I gave it another chance on 360, and I absolutely loved it. One of my favourite games of all time now.

daoster

Its so weird playing mass effect on a console...and seeing the game on my tv instead of my monitor...

Looks good though, better than I expected, if it weren't for already having the pc version of me2, I'd have double dip this and buy the (ps3 version of me3

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
All right just played through the whole thing... first time Mass Effect player.

I was EXTREMELY immersed through the whole part of the demo, from characters, to environments and with the overall story. I really like the sense of accomplishment by hacking stuff, lots of rewards.

Pro tip: TURN OFF FILM FILTER, I did play 30 minutes with it on and absolutely hated it. Looks like the game runs in cheap .jpg format. Framerate was very good and above expected, nothing came in the way during gameplay. TONS of tearing during cutscenes but barely anything in gameplay, which I'm thankful for.

I'm glad the demo was long (probably spent 2 hours on it), now I DEFINITELY know I'm buying it.

The ONLY thing I absolutely hated was how the sound sometimes disappeared and was out of sync. I was getting frustrated to the point where I wanted to restart the demo and see if that would help anything but I didn't :lol It did solve itself after a couple of minutes though.

Huggers

jett said:
ME1 borders on suckage, never understood the GOTG moniker for that game.

Amen. I tried to like Mass Effect. I dig sci-fi, loved the character design and art but the game was empty and felt soulless to me, not to mention a technical disater (although this is a minor problem for me). Drab conversation after drab conversation. Totally uninteresting exploring (and a tonne of it). I thought it was kind of lame. Years later I am now a PS3 only gamer and I am still drawn to the sequel just because I love the way it looks.

StuBurns

Banned
tass0 said:
That's funny, because I HATED Mass Effect 1 on PC. I gave it another chance on 360, and I absolutely loved it. One of my favourite games of all time now.
Well that's not from experience, I only played it on 360. But I'd heard great things about the improvements (most of them mentioned above).

As for the film grain, I love it, wouldn't think of turning it off. In ME1 on 360, it helped performance a little to turn it off if I remember right, it makes no difference now.

rvy

Banned
Rikyfree said:
Rather have mummy issues than be a bigot. :D
Sorry, brah.

24265.jpg

Resistance is futile.

Chinner

Banned
StuBurns said:
ME2 lacks ambition. While playing through ME1, there was a collection of problems that needed to be fixed, but everyone knew that once fixed you'd have a an super awesome amazing game.

Mass Effect 2 fixes these problems by scaling back and even removing features. For example, lets look at side quests; In ME1, you had the Mako which was clunky (admittedly, I liked it), the large open planets and and the repetitive bases. What needed fixing was that the Mako controls needed to be improved, with the planets and bases made more unique and less repetitive. What did Bioware do? Remove the Mako, the planets and bases entirely. Instead, we got 15 minute linear side quests with no motivation or story to it apart from shoot the bad guys.

Another example? The inventory system. ME1 had many different types of armour, weapons and upgrades. Shamefully, the inventory in ME1 is pretty shit. Instead of actually solving the problems with the inventory they just decided to remove it entirely.

Even things that are better are arguably worse. Although the gun and cover mechanics in ME2 are definitely improved, everything else is more tedious. This is fine if you're playing the soldier class, but everything else is hampered by the new changes made to biotics/techs and shields.

Other big problems? The game virtually has no main story to it; it's literally recruit a team and fight the bad guy. That's it.

LiK

Yoshichan said:
All right just played through the whole thing... first time Mass Effect player.

I was EXTREMELY immersed through the whole part of the demo, from characters, to environments and with the overall story. I really like the sense of accomplishment by hacking stuff, lots of rewards.

Pro tip: TURN OFF FILM FILTER, I did play 30 minutes with it on and absolutely hated it. Looks like the game runs in cheap .jpg format. Framerate was very good and above expected, nothing came in the way during gameplay. TONS of tearing during cutscenes but barely anything in gameplay, which I'm thankful for.

I'm glad the demo was long (probably spent 2 hours on it), now I DEFINITELY know I'm buying it.

The ONLY thing I absolutely hated was how the sound sometimes disappeared and was out of sync. I was getting frustrated to the point where I wanted to restart the demo and see if that would help anything but I didn't :lol It did solve itself after a couple of minutes though.
I loved the filters for both. ME2 was more subtle with it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Oh, how do I put down my weapon? Or can't I until specific points of the game?

Edit: Also, if I choose my Sheppard to be female, can I still
have sex with female characters?

rvy

Banned
Chinner said:
ME2 lacks ambition. While playing through ME1, there was a collection of problems that needed to be fixed, but everyone knew that once you fixed you'd have a an super awesome amazing game.

Mass Effect 2 fixes these problems by scaling back and even removing features. For example, lets look at side quests; In ME1, you had the Mako which was clunky (admittedly, I liked it), the large open planets and and the repetitive bases. What needed fixing was that the Mako controls needed to be improved, with the planets and bases made more unique and less repetitive. What did Bioware do? Remove the Mako, the planets and bases entirely. Instead, we got 15 minute linear side quests with no motivation or story to it apart from shoot the bad guys.

Another example? The inventory system. ME1 had many different types of armour, weapons and upgrades. Shamefully, the inventory in ME1 is pretty shit. Instead of actually solving the problems with the inventory they just decided to remove it entirely.

Even things that are better are arguably worse. Although the gun and cover mechanics in ME2 are definitely improved, everything else is more tedious. This is fine if you're playing the soldier class, but everything else is hampered by the new changes made to biotics/techs and shields.

Other big problems? The game virtually has no main story to it; it's literally recruit a team and fight the bad guy. That's it.
My hero. Agree on mostly everything.

Yoshichan said:
Oh, how do I put down my weapon? Or can't I until specific points of the game?

It's the back button, on 360, if I recall correctly. Should be select on PS3.

Yoshichan

Thanks a bunch.

Yoshichan

LiK said:
Nope. I tried. :(
Fuck, this is really shitty. Can I do it with a male though?

mintylurb

supermackem said:
http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/masseffect2-360-vs-ps3-faceoff?size=hd

Video comparison done by the folks at digital foundry. I have to say i like the lighting on the ps3 and theyve added some strange little touches to the cut scenes like lights and other things.
It looks like both version look pretty much equal.
Mr_Brit said:
Daaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnn at those screenshots. Worse textures, missing shadows, lower shadow resolution, missing/lower quality normal maps. Can't believe that after a year and using a new engine that Bioware couldn't match the 360 version.
lulz

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Yoshichan said:
Yes and no.

Fem Shep can sleep with the blue female looking alien from the Normandy section of the demo in ME1/the ME1 comic included in ME2 PS3, but she can't sleep with any human females. She can get lap dances from some random blue aliens and a private dance from a certain human female, but no sleeping together because Shepard isn't gay : /

dark10x said:
Only in terms of performance, really. The 360 version has terrible performance problems. Bad framerates and texture loading problems all over the place. Better than KOTOR on XBOX, but still not great.

ME2 was a huge improvement in that regard.

I played KOTOR and ME1 on the X-Box and X-Box 360, and they played and looked great to me. They are both in my top 20 games of all time.

FLEABttn

Banned
Killthee said:
but she can't sleep with any human females...but no sleeping together because Shepard isn't gay : /

Which pretty much ruined my raging space lesbian Shepard that I imported from ME1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom