• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Co-Op And "Galaxy At War" Detailed [Up: Video Interview/Detailing]

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
GSR said:
Not really anything new; I was expecting at least some video footage, especially since they insisted it's playable enough now that the devs are playing it for fun.

Also every time I hear Casey Hudson talk about how the third game in the trilogy is the best place to start, I die a little inside.

i know, whats the point of having a trilogy at all then?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
volturnus said:
Custom hanar or no sell.

tumblr_locmb7PHlK1qj73soo1_500.jpg

But they cant lift guns!

rozay

Banned
Well EA confirmed the online pass. I am worried that this means that The Prothean mission that comes with the collectors edition won't come with the standard like ME2 did, and will probably cost some sum of money.
The recently announced Mass Effect 3 multiplayer mode is accessed via the Online Pass code included in every new copy of the game, EA has announced.

The new Mass Effect 3: Galaxy at War system, unveiled this week, is activated once the code found in the Online Pass is entered. Buy the game second hand, and you'll have to buy the Online Pass to access the Galaxy at War.

Players use Galaxy at War in both the single-player campaign and "through a suite of Mass Effect games and applications". They will be on iOS devices and Facebook, as revealed earlier today.

Galaxy at War also connects players to their BioWare Social Network accounts to access downloadable content and add-ons.

GSR

Can't say I'm surprised, but I still don't think I'll ever get used to the idea of paying extra for multiplayer since you bought the game used.

Emitan

Derrick01 said:
Can't wait to try and figure out how to buy and access DLC from Bioware's site again. That's always a fun time.
I have the page bookmarked because it took me 20 minutes last time to figure out where I could buy the DLC from. Not to mention the fact that their shitty website charged me money but never actually gave me the points so I had to bother EA support until they just gave me the amount of points I said I paid.

Mindlog

rozay said:
Well EA confirmed the online pass. I am worried that this means that The Prothean mission that comes with the collectors edition won't come with the standard like ME2 did, and will probably cost some sum of money.
The Mass Effect 2 Collectors' Edition listed Cerberus Network Pass as an included bonus. I am fairly certain ME3 will be the same way. The standard edition game will include a CN type code that includes, The Prothean.

The true Mass Effect 2 CE bonus was Collectors' Weapon and Armor
The likely ME3 CE bonus will be N7 weapon pack and robo-puppy.
Hopefully, they will decide to include Krogan neuticles as well.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Billychu said:
I would prefer this to their website. And I hate Origin.

Ha, so true. Trying to redeem my Dragon Age: Origin voucher was a terrible, terrible experience. Same goes for buying Mass Effect DLC, to a lesser degree. What a headache.

I am so bummed that my favorite single player franchise this gen now has endings accessed through multiplayer and online only achievments. :(....

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Tony Redgrave said:
Most likely the online pass will come with every new game, but you'll have to buy it for 5-7 bucks if you buy it second hand.

That's a very bold prediction, but I don't disagree.

Gillian Seed said:
I am so bummed that my favorite single player franchise this gen now has endings accessed through multiplayer and online only achievments. :(....

You earn Galactic Read...fuck it, XP in multiplayer that transfers over to single player, but it's not essential in any way. All endings can be accessed through single player.

rozay

Banned
Gillian Seed said:
Is it possible for someone to bold in huge letters in the OP that multiplayer isn't required to achieve the endings?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
rozay said:
Is it possible for someone to bold in huge letters in the OP that multiplayer isn't required to achieve the endings?

Nah its easier to keep raging at Bioware like GAF is so good at.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Serious lack of OP reading going on in here. I dislike Bioware, but at least I try to base it on things that actually exist.

Derrick01

Banned
Nirolak said:
Don't worry, I'm sure it'll all just come through Origin.

Heh you're probably right and I can't figure out which one would piss me off more. Probably Origin since it's a whole service to download.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Apparently they answered some more questions.

BioWare said:
Thanks for making the thread - figured I'd cherry pick a couple of these smilie.

Bogsnot1 wrote...
- Can the MP mode be done solo, for those who either dont like MP, or want an extra challenge to finish the game without squadmates?

Currently, yes... but it's pretty hard. Though a lot of that depends on difficulty.

- Further to this, are 4 players definately required, or can it be done with 2, or 3? Will there be AI to fill out the teams if 4 are required? ViceVersaMan

You can play with less than 4 players.

- In case of player drop-outs, will their avatar disappear, be taken over by an AI, or will it be a universal "dump to main menu"? Will they come back with the same avatar should they reconnect quick enough?

That player will drop, they can always reconnect.

- Are teams rigid, and set once the game is underway, or can players join in later on?

Players can leave and join.

- What effect will time dilation abilities (A.R, Infiltrator Zoom) have in co-op? sam726

There is no time dilation in MP, the powers that might have normally had it were adjusted accordingly.

- Will there be MP-only achievements? DontTeachMyHamsterToSuckEggs

We're still working on achievements, but it's likely there will be MP specific achievements.

- Will it be Peer to Peer, or Client-Server based? Soul Cool

Server / Client.

- How does pause and the radial meny work in multiplayer and will class abilities function sameway in MP, like they do in singleplay? Juha81FIN

There is no radial menu in MP. There's a simplified version of it (kind of) that doesn't pause the game - as was mentioned above, affected abilities have been adjusted as needed.

- Will there be friendly fire from powers?

Right now, yes... but that's a bug and though funny isn't really what I think we want in the final product... it is after all a cooperative experience. smilie

- How will difficulty levels be handled? ViceVersaMan

Difficulty in MP leverages the same systems we use for SP, though it uses different scaling factors (I believe).

- Will Co-Op contain any spoilers for the SP campaign, or is it totally seperated? Phaedon

Beyond some of the enemy types, which might have specific reveals in SP - no.

- Can we have multiples of the same class? Sir Ulrich Von Lichenstien

Yep!

- Can we name our own characters, or will they just be generic race/class labels? Sir Ulrich Von Lichenstien

You can name them.

HK-47 said:
Serious lack of OP reading going on in here. I dislike Bioware, but at least I try to base it on things that actually exist.

I don't think it is a case of "serious lack of OP reading going on in here". I think it is more a case of people not believing a single damn thing Bioware have to say about anything anymore. They have shown in the past that they are not beyond "bending" the truth to placate things so a lot of people are having a hard time taking stuff like "mp won't affect sp at all, honest it won't guys, we really really mean it this time" seriously.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
CharmingCharlie said:
I don't think it is a case of "serious lack of OP reading going on in here". I think it is more a case of people not believing a single damn thing Bioware have to say about anything anymore. They have shown in the past that they are not beyond "bending" the truth to placate things so a lot of people are having a hard time taking stuff like "mp won't affect sp at all, honest it won't guys, we really really mean it this time" seriously.

Nah, in this case it's pretty clear that some people haven't read the information in the OP. They're complaining about something that's been specifically denied. I'm cynical as the next guy, but I don't think Bioware would require you to grind in MP to unlock certain endings in SP. That's going a little too far.

Nirolak said:
Is it just me, or does the player look humungous in this screenshot?
Maybe it's just a mini-krogan? Maybe they're wearing platform shoes? Hover boots?

I hadn't noticed it before, but, yeah, that is kind of odd looking.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Typographenia said:
Maybe it's just a mini-krogan? Maybe they're wearing platform shoes? Hover boots?

I hadn't noticed it before, but, yeah, that is kind of odd looking.
It's mostly how wide he is.

He's like twice the width of the Krogan's main body.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
It's probably just the angle that pic was taken. The human is probably closer to the camera than the krogan.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The untextured Turian-husk looks like its intestines are dangling out.

So gross.

(I can't even begin to imagine the backlash if this happens to Garrus)

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Halycon said:
The untextured Turian-husk looks like its intestines are dangling out.

So gross.

(I can't even begin to imagine the backlash if this happens to Garrus)

Or Tali

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah, the human doesn't look out of proportion in the non-behind the back screens.

Oh, on another note, I just remembered this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=439677

BioWare Social said:
So I know this is a sore subject with most people, and I am tired of hearing rumors about it too, but I just had a games conference for my work where publishers come in and talk about upcoming games and we get to see/play demos. In the presentation for EA they brought up Mass Effect 3 and pointed out the best points about the game and the Collectors Edition.

In these bullet points, and stated by the EA representitive presenting the game, there would be a multiplayer mode available as DLC around a month after the game is shipped.
No other information was given, maybe it's something they're announcing at Gamescom? (some of what we got to see were said to be "exclusives" as they were not due to be shown until gamescom.)

They also had a list of what is included in the Collectors Edition and listed was "Additional content: "The Prothean" (Character/Mission)", which is also interesting.

Thoughts?
So I was told this conference was real by a person who is quite trustworthy, but I feel it's pretty obvious that this co-op mode is in the box.

Does that mean a second multiplayer mode is coming, or did they just change their mind about when to release it?

There is this part in the FAQ in the OP as well, which kind of implies they might have more:

OP said:
Will you be adding any additional maps or modes through DLC?

We can’t comment on specifics right now, but can confirm that we are planning on having DLC for Mass Effect 3.

DatBreh

Banned
CharmingCharlie said:

If they wont believe the words from Bioware then why are they asking others in the topic the same questions, as if we have more info than Bioware?

Its clear people arent reading or comprehending what they read.

IoCaster

The multiplayer experience boils down to a four player co-op survial style mode that lets you fight increasingly difficult waves of Cerberus foes.

No thanks. As a matter of fact I'm going to pass on the whole game since I don't give a shit about Cerberus. It's kind of a shame how they started off with an interesting story about Reapers in ME and rode it off the rails with this Cerberus crap in the sequels. BioWare and Mac Walters can just fuck off at this point.

Woorloog said:
Backlash? Why would there be backlash if something happened to Garrus or Tali? Imagine the amount of fan fiction and fan, uh, art that would follow...
I'm already working on it.

Bioware would be overrun with angry people. They wouldn't dare do that, unless it's something really difficult to achieve.

JDAWGZZZ

Horde mode? That's too bad. I was hoping for something a little more interesting than just fighting never ending waves of Cerberus bros.

Top Bottom