• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Mode Releasing As DLC [Update]

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Some rather well informed people sent me this and mentioned it was real, so I thought I would share.

I have zero additional details.

BioWare Social said:
So I know this is a sore subject with most people, and I am tired of hearing rumors about it too, but I just had a games conference for my work where publishers come in and talk about upcoming games and we get to see/play demos. In the presentation for EA they brought up Mass Effect 3 and pointed out the best points about the game and the Collectors Edition.

In these bullet points, and stated by the EA representitive presenting the game, there would be a multiplayer mode available as DLC around a month after the game is shipped.
No other information was given, maybe it's something they're announcing at Gamescom? (some of what we got to see were said to be "exclusives" as they were not due to be shown until gamescom.)

They also had a list of what is included in the Collectors Edition and listed was "Additional content: "The Prothean" (Character/Mission)", which is also interesting.

Thoughts?
Source: http://social.bioware.com/forum/Mas...3-Miltiplayer-releasing-as-DLC-8034561-1.html

Update:

After BattleMonkey's question, I asked again, and apparently it directly said a "multiplayer mode" will be available as DLC about one month after launch, so it could in fact just be one mode instead of the whole thing.

Hmm...wonder if that implies the Multiplayer DLC will come with the CE.

Either way not interested at all unless it's something radically different.

herewego.jpg

Is this their way of trying to not upset half of their audience by including it on-disc and pleasing the other half by including multiplayer?

Whatever. If it works, good for them.

Philthy

_dementia said:
If it makes the retail product cheaper, then sure. I had no interest in multi anyway.

Yeah, if they release the game at a $40 price point to save some man hours and more costs I think it's a good idea.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Diablohead said:
multi will be dead after a few weeks no matter what anyway, do people still play dead space 2 MP?
DS2 MP died really fast. It had an unnecessary tacked-on multiplayer component.

GSR

Not sure I'd call it legit just yet, but if it is, I don't really know what to say. While I admit I've yet to play ME3, they must have done a hell of a lot with the combat if they think they can sell multiplayer DLC. (But then again, people bought Pinnacle Station for ME1, and that was just a single-player combat quest, so who knows?)

Zalasta

I'm more concerned if they've cut any corners on ME3 by taking away development resources for the multiplayer mode.

LQX

Seems odd, you usually include multiplayer to gain more appeal and keep buyers from trading in your game once done. This seems counter productive even though this game has built its reputation on the single player.

BattleMonkey said:
If the game shipped with the MP it wouldn't have been optional to play it?
Gone are the days of selecting what class you would play as!
Now you're thrust into a multiplayer match which observes your play style to properly match you up with the class that suits you best! God help you if you're playing offline...

LQX said:
Seems odd, you usually include multiplayer to gain more appeal and keep buyers from trading in your game once done. This seems counter productive even though this game has built its reputation on the single player.
Didn't RE5 sell mercenaries as DLC? I know it's not the same thing, exactly, but a similar situation.

Zalasta said:
I'm more concerned if they've cut any corners on ME3 by taking away development resources for the multiplayer mode.

Weren't the rumors saying the MP portion was being worked on by another group?

LiK said:
I mean it won't be taking up valuable disc space.

Theres going to be lots of valuable disc space not being used anyways. Not having a MP portion is not going to suddenly make the SP fill up the rest of the empty disc and junk data.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Why bother? Most DLC adoption rates are shitty low, and there's going to be no community if it isn't free.

FLEABttn

Banned
It might be neat to meet a person who thought that Mass Effect was just the perfect game to add multi-player to, and then ask them why the hell that is.

Patryn

While I'm happy, because that means it's clear that MP is being developed almost totally separately from the main game, I have to wonder if EA are idiots.

Shipping after the game launches, and to only those who get the DLC is idiotic. People move on from games fast nowadays, and the late start to it is going to severely hamper their ability to build up the needed base of players. I mean, who wants to play MP if there's nobody else playing?

I can't believe I'm arguing FOR integration of MP.

-PXG-

Sell the game for $40 and the MP DLC for $20 and I'd say that's a fair deal. Of course, that won't happen.

What an odd strategy. They seem to either want to keep the mp modes away from big reviews or maybe it is meant to be a 'surprise' for after launch to prevent the message from being dominated by the they ruined the game by including MP crowd.

I wonder how biotics will work? Maybe like ME1 where shep just fell over for a few seconds instead of flying off into space every time someone uses lift/pull etc...

LiK

BattleMonkey said:
Theres going to be lots of valuable disc space not being used anyways. Not having a MP portion is not going to suddenly make the SP fill up the rest of the empty disc and junk data.
ME2 for 360 was already multidisc, MP wouldn't have helped.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
BattleMonkey said:
I don't know, it says "mode". Perhaps they mean just a unique MP mode and not the complete MP component
I just asked, and apparently all that was said was "multiplayer mode", so it could definitely be like Onslaught.

Angelcurio

I actually support this model, as long as either portion of the game goes on sale for half the price.

It would be and interesting test (not specifically of this game, but the model). I would like to see someone to test the waters but with a downloadable game to see the results. I would gladly pay $30 for the single player portion of Call Of Duty, since i actually like the story mode and i don't care about multiplayer.

Lothars

-PXG- said:
Sell the game for $40 and the MP DLC for $20 and I'd say that's a fair deal. Of course, that won't happen.

Well Considering that both ME1 and 2 were 60 dollars and this MP seems to be worked on from another group than I have no problem with the mulitplayer being seperate mode that's available after if that's the case.

Moofers

Obligatory "Not finished in time just like Dragon Age II" post....

Seriously though, what makes them think we want multiplayer at all? I don't get it. I really don't. When I was busy quelling arguments between team members and sexing up Tali, I never once thought to myself "Man, this needs a good deathmatch mode".

Kinyou

Lyphen said:
Why bother? Most DLC adoption rates are shitty low, and there's going to be no community if it isn't free.
If the mp would consist of a character creator and a dating sim.... They would have the whole bioware forum playing; forever.

Patryn

Angelcurio said:
I actually support this model, as long as either portion of the game goes on sale for half the price.

It would be and interesting test (not specifically of this game, but the model). I would like to see someone to test the waters but with a downloadable game to see the results. I would gladly pay $30 for the single player portion of Call Of Duty, since i actually like the story mode and i don't care about multiplayer.

I'm not sure this is the right game to test this on. It could be argued that MP isn't being seen as 50 percent of the product of Mass Effect 3.

However, compare with something like, say, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, where there's an even split... that could be interesting.

They also had a list of what is included in the Collectors Edition and listed was "Additional content: "The Prothean" (Character/Mission)", which is also interesting.

Man I cannot WAIT to see how much content BioWare sticks behind pre-order bonuses, special editions, and DLC this time. They are masters of the art.

diffusionx

Gold Member
brotkasten said:
What about the Bioshock 2 MP?

I played it a few months ago and had no problems finding games.

That said, I have little hope for ME3 at this point. At E3 the game looked like a boring rehash and everything coming out sounds awful.

Top Bottom