• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Comic-Con Announcement: Canon Female Shepard Appearance Vote

Kinyou said:
ohh, come on! Fans have been demanding this since ME1 and when they finally give the fans what they want they are selling out?
Then why not already with ME2, when the fans were so vocal about it since the first game?

Wallach

Peter.Simpson909 said:
Not all fans...I guess I got used to her--and then became somewhat attached after a billion hours of gameplay.

Odd that.

So keep using her, then. They certainly aren't going to force you to use the default.

Perhaps my goal was different. I tried to make her more "human". I tried a set of sliders that made her look all young and sexy, but that just doesn't fly with the character--or the voice (for me at least).

Default FemShep at least fits with the character/voice work.

Kinyou said:
ohh, come on! Fans have been demanding this since ME1 and when they finally give the fans what they want they are selling out?

Peter.Simpson909 said:
Not all fans....

Sorry bro. Didn't mean to let some ladies in on the dudebro. The 10% of us who played FemShep for the sole purpose of grooming her for our inevitable marriage should be more respectful of allowing ourselves to be seen in public or engage in converse on an internet forum.

On a serious note, I voted for #5 and #4. But I have to say I most definitely approve of that #5 red haired variant.

Wallach said:
So keep using her, then. They certainly aren't going to force you to use the default.
It's possible I'm misunderstanding the purpose of this contest.

Will my previous save (which used the default) register with those looks upon importing, or will it look like "default" = "new default" and I'll get one of these "new and improved" versions to play with?

tiff

Banned
toasty_T said:
Not a young man at all. He's 43 now, born in '68.
Oh, wow, haha. Guess I'm too used to action movies trying to pass off middle-aged stars as young men.

Anyway, it's not really surprising, making femShep young and sexy. Mass Effect has always been more male-centered fantasy and adventure than serious Sci-Fi.

Peter.Simpson909 said:

Will my previous save (which used the default) register with those looks upon importing, or will it look like "default" = "new default" and I'll get one of these "new and improved" versions to play with?
I don't remember how ME2's import system exactly worked, but I'll imagine you'll have the option to either import directly, make tweaks, or just pick a new face. So when it reads your Shepard I'd guess it'd just read what her features are, not bothering to compare that to what the defaults were in 1/2.

Peter.Simpson909 said:

One would think that whatever your shepard is, will show up exactly as it was in your carry over save. I mean, they are just transferring data points, right?

Wallach

Peter.Simpson909 said:

I don't know if they've actually come out and said so, but there's basically zero chance they're going to force an appearance on you if you import a save file.

The whole point of this is to fulfill a long-standing player request to give the default female appearance a custom model like male Shepard and all of your squadmates. Very few people even use female Shepard and one of the biggest reasons for that is that the default choice is still built using the custom character creator.

Still don't like the direction its taking, but if I can keep my old grizzled war vet FemShep then I can't complain too much I suppose.

I get jumpy when people change the "default" appearance of my character 3 games into a franchise is all. Much like the backlash against the revamped Cole that they eventually scrapped (well, he got a new voice).

GrandHarrier said:
Sorry bro. Didn't mean to let some ladies in on the dudebro. The 10% of us who played FemShep for the sole purpose of grooming her for our inevitable marriage should be more respectful of allowing ourselves to be seen in public or engage in converse on an internet forum.
I honestly have no idea what you're getting at...

Peter.Simpson909 said:
Still don't like the direction its taking, but if I can keep my old grizzled war vet FemShep then I can't complain too much I suppose.

I get jumpy when people change the "default" appearance of my character 3 games into a franchise is all. Much like the backlash against the revamped Cole that they eventually scrapped (well, he got a new voice).

Cole had a default. FemShep really didn't. So I think that is more apples and oranges. Imagine if they'd taken bro-shep and made him like metrosexual goth alternative.

Huh...

Peter.Simpson909 said:
I honestly have no idea what you're getting at...

Your original post seemed to suggest that people didn't want a default FemShep which seemed to be squarely in the "I play default MaleShep" camp. So I was making some light humor at it and some earlier "waifu" posts.

Kinyou

brotkasten said:
Then why not already with ME2, when the fans were so vocal about it since the first game?
Well it was a clear marketing decision to always use male shepard in advertisements and maybe were the fans not vocal enough after the first one or they thought it would pass. That they now even allow the fans to choose the finale shepard design shows also that this is meant as fan support and not to attract some horny teens to their franchise. Also if the latter would be the case she would've (like someone mentioned) a cleavage, less armor etc.

Pezking

5 is awesome.

But of course, I will stick to my own custom FemShep to finish the trilogy.

It would be nice if they add the new canon FemShep as free DLC for ME1 and ME2.
I'd gladly play through all the games again as the official FemShep.

Wallach

Replicant said:
This is my first time seeing ME1 faces. I didn't know they were so shiny. It's nice to know Bioware did make some improvement in their facial construction tool.

They really needed to. Clicking the randomize button feels like browsing a Real Doll catalog. Except Real Dolls have better hair.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
DSN2K said:
never been big fan of Bioware woman....best Ive achieved was with DA...

http://premium1.uploadit.org/dsn2000//DAOrigins-2011-02-11-03-20-56-96.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
You suck at the character creator.

Anyway, 1, 3 or 5 will win. Especially considering 5 has the best hair, should've had it in a different color though.

Pimpbaa

TheYanger said:
You realize NO femshep fans are actually going to play as a 'canon default' version right? we're all attached to our old ones :p
Speak for yourself. I'll gladly switch to the new default because all custom fem shepards are fugly duck faces.

Peter.Simpson909 said:

The purpose of the contest is to allow us to choose the PUBLIC face of Femshep. Which ever femshep model wins that becomes the femshep we will see on trailers, promotional stuff and it will be the femshep that appears on the box art of the CE version. In addition she will also be a new default femshep that you can choose to play if you want.

The old default femshep will still be available to play if you wish to do so (Casey has confirmed this) i.e. there are now 2 default femsheps, the old one and the new one. You won't be forced to use the new default femshep if you are using the old default femshep. If you are using the old default femshep then it will not magically change into the new default femshep.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
brotkasten said:
Y2Kev said:
FemShep doesn't change Facial Expressions
Imagine the angry sex with her.
9Qsml.gif

Did I miss the memo? I thought this was purely for the femshep on facebook's profile page.

If they're changing the default, that kind of sucks. I don't see why if you had the default femshep before and imported her that it would suddenly change, though. I don't think there's any cause for alarm in that regard.

Typographenia said:
Did I miss the memo? I thought this was purely for the femshep on facebook's profile page.

If they're changing the default, that kind of sucks. I don't see why if you had the default femshep before and imported her that it would suddenly change, though. I don't think there's any cause for alarm in that regard.

I did just explain a few posts up. The femshep that wins the voting becomes the public face of femshep. The winning femshep will appear in a special trailer, promotional stuff and will be the femshep that appears on the CE box art. She will also be available as an ALTERNATIVE default femshep. The old default femshep will still be there.

5 is the best, but I think the one I got my game is better looking. And she's pretty close to the default female Shepard they already had in the game, who is better than these choices.

LQX said:
I don't know why expected them to use the default female Shepard for the game. I don't like how any of those look.
My female Shepard didn't look like a slut who cuts herself for attention.

None of those will do.

The M.O.B

I like the slicked back pony tail on #3. The first 3 look more military like and pratical than the others.

#4 is plain dumb.

#3 better win.

Sober

amdnv said:
Why can't they just use this Femshep? The face has character, the red hair suits perfectly, and she doesn't look like a Brazilian (or Swedish) model in a Sci-Fi costume.
She looks believable, which has always been (along with the excellent voice acting) the reason for my finding her so appealing in this epic storyline, unlike the walking talking stereotype on the right.
I agree. Didn't Bioware even go out and say only 1/5th of people who played ME/ME2 even play Femshep? What is the point here? (for the record, I played as and advocate people play as Femshep). Yeah, pretty sure they didn't put any effort into it 2/3rds of the way, why bother now when the default is pretty much there (even though pretty sure you could recreate the default face, which tells alot). Is this to get all the crazy ME fans on their forums all stirred up?

That being said, looks like #5 is the closest they'll get, and then they can do another vote where red hair wins, right?

Pimpbaa

CharmingCharlie said:
She will also be available as an ALTERNATIVE default femshep. The old default femshep will still be there.

Which is why I don't get why people are complaining. Although I can't see why people would still want the old default because it was absolutely terrible (a duckface that looked like it was made out of silly putty).

Top Bottom