• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Extended Cut is coming next week [Up: Out now, my sweet]

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
The destroy ending is so fucking dumb. I don't understand why that's the 'good' ending when you have wipe out the Geth, a race I spent half the fucking game trying to protect. Those 3 choices, I suppose now 4 with the rejection option, are still so crude.

The ending of the game is still decided by your actions during the climax, and while obviously that was never going to change, it still sucks and my interest in Mass Effect remains shattered. You can basically do whatever the fuck you want for every moment of the 3 games up until the final Citadel sequence and it won't change anything. All that matters is the final choice.

So if I'm reading this correctly they've retconned parts of the endings (Relays, Normandy stranded) and fixed some plotholes (Joker leaving with your crew, the "no one made it" stuff) and then we get some post-game stuff to wrap everything up.

Personally, that sounds good for me. Doesn't excuse the bullshit with the "Yo dawg we heard you don't like synthetics etc" but credit for Bioware acknowledging the care fans have for the series and so on. I know a lot will be like "Lol Bioware" but at least they've made the effort and it's a huge middle finger to the likes of IGN for calling us entitled.

Think I might play through it again from the sounds of impressions.

The destroy ending is so fucking dumb. I don't understand why that's the 'good' ending when you have wipe out the Geth, a race I spent half the fucking game trying to protect. Those 3 choices, I suppose now 4 with the rejection option, are still so crude.

The ending of the game is still decided by your actions during the climax, and while obviously that was never going to change, it still sucks and my interest in Mass Effect remains shattered. You can basically do whatever the fuck you want for every moment of the 3 games up until the final Citadel sequence and it won't change anything. All that matters is the final choice.

In a sense yes but in others no. The final choice undoes your Geth/Quarian relations, for instance, but the new endings don't undo stuff with the Krogans and stuff like that. This now at least shows out different scenarios where depending on how united the Galaxy is there's different outcomes, and how united is determined by the games, not the moment in the crucible.

That said, the Geth thing still kinda sucks.

So if I'm reading this correctly they've retconned parts of the endings (Relays, Normandy stranded) and fixed some plotholes (Joker leaving with your crew, the "no one made it" stuff) and then we get some post-game stuff to wrap everything up.

Personally, that sounds good for me. Doesn't excuse the bullshit with the "Yo dawg we heard you don't like synthetics etc" but credit for Bioware acknowledging the care fans have for the series and so on. I know a lot will be like "Lol Bioware" but at least they've made the effort and it's a huge middle finger to the likes of IGN for calling us entitled.

They sort of do tackle the reapers to stop reapers thing with some new dialogue options. It sounds like the Starkid himself is an AI gone rogue; the first race didn't WANT to become Reapers, but he "gave them purpose."

Ruuppa

Yeah. Can't stand the kid.

I want to see all the endings but each time I have to continue from the conduit stroll.
Hate how I can't skip or save at a later time. This is going to take 5 hours before I've seen them all.
"The Extended Cut extends the playtime of Mass Effect 3 by five hours!" -Bioware PR

sTeLioSco

Banned

don't choose destroy?

def sim

I've completely forgotten about the Geth and they were my favorite "species." These endings haven't been representing them so well.

I still believe the Indoctrination theory is correct, given that when you try to shoot the starchild his voice turns into Harbinger and says "so be it".

Destroy is the happy ending because it rejects indoctrination.

MormaPope

Banned
Before anyone says that people would've never been satisfied, the problem with the original endings is there's so much dropped at your feet instantly. Whats dropped on your feet is not elegant or subtle either, it's information blasted at you, and there was no foreshadowing or foreboding of what was about to happen.

The updated endings just feel lazy, Bioware needed to understand advice instead of taking ideas. Apathy is worse than anger or disappointment, the fact that details and plot elements are missing or wrong is also pretty disheartening.

Well said, I agree.

I still believe the Indoctrination theory is correct, given that when you try to shoot the starchild his voice turns into Harbinger and says "so be it".

He makes a good point
Bioware probably knows this is what some people would think when his voice turns into Harbinger. Clearly on purpose so you can't just totally discount the IT.

Sojgat

Refusal ending
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PThzItSAT5c

LmkKn.gif

MechaX

I'm playing the ending right now.

Well, at least the game kinda explains the Star Child's horrible Xzibit logic.
It literally is an AI stuck in its ways; some bozo race came up with the idea of "Hey, we'll make this super AI to mediate organics and synthetics!" The Star Child goes "lol, no hope" and forcibly Reaperizes the race that came up with the idea (the Star Child calls it the "first" Reaper, which may be Harbinger).

I'm playing the ending right now.

Well, at least the game kinda explains the Star Child's horrible Xzibit logic.
It literally is an AI stuck in its ways; some bozo race came up with the idea of "Hey, we'll make this super AI to mediate organics and synthetics!" The Star Child goes "lol, no hope" and forcibly Reaperizes the race that came up with the idea (the Star Child calls it the "first" Reaper, which may be Harbinger).

Explained this is much better in particular, as it does actually fit the Synthetic vs Organic theme that runs heavily through the series.

Replicant

Mhmmm, the only real issue I have now with the ending is Star Child.

Guess it's too much of a plot change to remove.

I can't believe how this new ending basically suggest we can't do shit against that brat. It's either accept his RGB bullshits or extermination.

I mean kudos for fixing other shits but this will remain a sore spot for me. I want to shoot his face.

Monocle

This is pretty cool but I'm not exactly thrilled about playing through the end of the game again. Some of the encounters in the last area were really annoying, even with my hilariously overpowered Infiltrator.

Is there a video of this somewhere?

big_z

This is pretty cool but I'm not exactly thrilled about playing through the end of the game again. Some of the encounters in the last area were really annoying, even with my hilariously overpowered Infiltrator.

Is there a video of this somewhere?

The post with Seinfeld above has one of the two rejection endings. If you shoot the kid the same thing happens but it fades out faster.

big_z

Awesome this dlc just froze on me going up the Starkid elevator. Fuck it I'll YouTube the other endings. It takes too long to wait through everything

Top Bottom