• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

Moaradin

Beat silver a couple times earlier and got to wave 3 on gold. Probably one of the most intense gaming experiences ever. Just the Cerberus enemies alone have more variety than all of the enemies in ME1 or ME2 combined. I can't wait until more enemies and maps are unlocked in the full version.

masterkajo

I have a quick question regarding achievements. Does anyone know if there will be multiplayer achievements in the full game? Don't want to read the list in fear of spoilers for SP.

Moaradin

I have a quick question regarding achievements. Does anyone know if there will be multiplayer achievements in the full game? Don't want to read the list in fear of spoilers for SP.

Yes, and they are optional. All of the MP achievements let you get them in the SP as well.

Ajacx

Banned
There will be multiplayer achievements, but they also double as single-player achievements for completing side missions. For example, you can complete 5 multiplayer missions or 5 side-missions to obtain the achievement.

masterkajo

Thanks! That is an awesome idea indeed! I for sure will be playing the multiplayer but this way people who are totally against MP can still get all achievements. I like it.

kurahador

Beat silver a couple times earlier and got to wave 3 on gold. Probably one of the most intense gaming experiences ever. Just the Cerberus enemies alone have more variety than all of the enemies in ME1 or ME2 combined. I can't wait until more enemies and maps are unlocked in the full version.
yeah, fighting waves of husks should be more intense.

So I'm guessing Bronze - Silver - Gold respond to difficulty levels, too? I'm guessing Gold is Insanity, Silver is Hardcore and Bronze is Normal or Veteran. Am I wrong?

JonCha

Send a friend request to the GAF tag. I'm itsjonchalres.

I've been playing as Engineer on this and I'm beginning to dominate. Vanguard looks like the most overpowered class going, though.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Holy balls! I am loving the MP so far. I'm having way more fun with it than I expected. I did notice a few things which are annoying though (no doubt noticed by others as well).

It's irritating when there are three of you ready to game and whatnot and one other person is either idle, or left their game running and you can't continue further on. There's no way to kick, or message that random dude to get on with his shit. Of course, I can get his name and then type it in to message him, but it should be easier, no?

Also, I noticed that I'm rarely, if ever, can join a game that's already underway. Shouldn't there be an option? I don't want to wait 10 minutes just to play damnit!

Menus can do with a little more pizzaz and added description, etc on items and whatnot. I can see this being confusing for non-Mass Effect players who will try the MP for the first time.

Also, there should be a score for doing objectives! If there is, make it more obvious. I've played in games where no one took to the objective and just wanted to kill goons. I attribute that to them wanting to get EXP and cash - which, I can't really blame them for.

Is there a medal list where we can see what we got and whatnot? I fiddled around and didn't see anything. Unless it's in the leaderboards?

Aside from those few niggles, I can't complain much. Heck, I think I like this even more than GoW's Horde mode...not saying I do, but it's close. I can't wait to play the MP with other maps, enemies and whatnot.

If anyone here wants to play with my bad-ass Infiltrator named Shepardess, give me a message! Oh, and I play on PS3! :)

That's okay random Xbox Live guy, I didn't want to be revived. Bleeding out is fun. I mean I just revived you, but that's fine. You got stuff to do. I understand bro.

jediyoshi

They should've put a status indicator around a player's name to display if they're at least in one of the config screens. Better than thinking they're just afk.

I get there not being text chat in lobbies because consoles, but it wouldn't have killed them to allow text chat while in game for PC. There's a non functioning key for it in the settings so the thought must have crossed their mind.

Sophuis

Neo Member
I am fucking hooked. Playing a Vanguard, like always, and it is utterly broken. I love it.

Packing only a shotgun, and with Charge fully upgraded and some weight reduction skills unlocked, I can charge once every four seconds or so. Nova upgraded past the point where it only uses up 50% shields, and charge restoring 100% barriers. Charge into an unshielded enemy and finish with a single point blank shotgun blast. Done. Charge into a shielded enemy, immediately chain a heavy melee attack in there, follow up with a shotgun blast/more melee/Nova, you're done. Charge into an Atlas, two novas, cooldown will be up, charge again. Rinse and repeat until you take down that fucking mech by yourself.

Only thing that will give issues is when enemies hide in cover and can't be targeted for a life-saving charge, or facing a phantom or turret. That one-hit-kill move is annoying and broken, and turrets are utterly overpowered. Sure, shame on me for just packing a shotgun, but they're still easily the most annoying thing to face in multiplayer. The Phantom at least gives points equal to the Atlas and if you're smart about how to handle her, you can get her down fairly easy. Turrets just open up on you and chew your barriers and health away in three seconds flat. If the server lags or bugs out, as is often the case, you're royally screwed.

Just discovered the joys of the Infiltrator, so I'm gonna be occupied for a while.

sensui-tomo

the reason this isnt splitscreen should be obvious. EA owns this so you would need 2 $15 dollar passes, You buy 2 games therefor they get more money(if you want splitscreen in games the only one i can think of is the Warriors(Koei) games that have it anymore) Dont think companies will be cheap with games or think of the consumer)

the reason this isnt splitscreen should be obvious. EA owns this so you would need 2 $15 dollar passes, You buy 2 games therefor they get more money(if you want splitscreen in games the only one i can think of is the Warriors(Koei) games that have it anymore) Dont think companies will be cheap with games or think of the consumer)

Oh yeah, well as I've said I'm fully aware it's not a technical reason. But even Activison in all their moneylust manage to insert a splitscreen mode into CoD.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I would imagine the UI would be a nightmare in split-screen.

Sometimes, just sometimes it might not be greed, it just might not be possible.

I would imagine the UI would be a nightmare in split-screen.

Sometimes, just sometimes it might not be greed, it just might not be possible.

Gears 2/3 manage split screen Horde mode, which is what this basically is. ME3 doesn't look that more technically superior.

The UI isn't that big, and could easily be minimised. Why do we need huge prompts to remind us which buttons use what power? All you need really is the shield and ammo indicators. It's not like there's a map or anything.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Gears 2/3 manage split screen Horde mode, which is what this basically is. ME3 doesn't look that more technically superior.

The UI isn't that big, and could easily be minimised. Why do we need huge prompts to remind us which buttons use what power? All you need really is the shield and ammo indicators. It's not like there's a map or anything.

Gears is one of the simplest in-game UI's around, which is one of its many strong points. Mass Effect 3 is another story.

If they want to keep everything the way they do normally on onscreen, it'd be too crowded - the d-pad & symbols, the weapon ammo count & weapon icon, shield & health and power buttons. It wouldn't be good design to leave out any of those, and shrinking them would make them too hard too see or read. Then you have the power recharge symbol, zooming in with a scope, the kill count & points - all those things over each other in the middle of an already clustered split-screen?

I don't think so.

And I wasn't even touching graphics, just the UI.

Read my above post. The big symbols telling you which buttons activate which power are pretty unneccesary.

Also, any GAFers feel like playing at some point? Can't manage to finish half the games I play with randomers.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Read my above post. The big symbols telling you which buttons activate which power are pretty unneccesary.

Also, any GAFers feel like playing at some point? Can't manage to finish half the games I play with randomers.

I did. You have be accessible to everyone - just because some people can figure that out doesn't mean everyone can, especially with gamers nowadays. Things like that shouldn't be removed at all.

I think my time with this game is at an end. It's just too fun, but I'm afraid I'll get burnt out on it before the full game releases.

Speaking of the full game, does anyone know if there will be different game types for Co-Op? Like maybe actual missions instead of just going wave after wave with various objectives?

X-Frame

I've bought about 3 Veteran packs and 8 Recruit packs and not ONE new unlocked character. The hell? Am I doing something wrong or just very unlucky?

I've bought about 3 Veteran packs and 8 Recruit packs and not ONE new unlocked character. The hell? Am I doing something wrong or just very unlucky?

It's completely random. I've opened well over 15 Veteran packs and 4 Recruit packs and only have the Turian Sentinel, whereas my brother got both the Salarin Infiltrator and Quarian Engineer in his 2nd and 3rd Veteran pack respectively...

I think my time with this game is at an end. It's just too fun, but I'm afraid I'll get burnt out on it before the full game releases.

Speaking of the full game, does anyone know if there will be different game types for Co-Op? Like maybe actual missions instead of just going wave after wave with various objectives?
Same here although it will be difficult to stay away. The only other MP I've ever gotten into is Gears hoard mode, but I like this even more so far. Plus the fact that it links in with the SP and effects the ending makes it even better.

Feels good that I saved all the ME2 dlc for now, so at least I can go through that while I wait for the 6th to roll around.

Just finished my first Silver mission -- feels good! Been playing on PC and I have to say I like it way more than 360 (and this is coming from a console player). Just feels smoother.

Will probably be playing the majority on 360, though, since that's where my ME1/ME2 character saves are. And my friends.

Speaking of, I've been having some great matches with randoms, but can't wait to play with 3 other friends and actually coordinate strategies. Must say BioWare is proving the ME-doesn't-need-multiplayer skeptics wrong (i.e., me!). ;)

X-Frame

It's completely random. I've opened well over 15 Veteran packs and 4 Recruit packs and only have the Turian Sentinel, whereas my brother got both the Salarin Infiltrator and Quarian Engineer in his 2nd and 3rd Veteran pack respectively...

Because of my luck, my thoughts are that unlock system sucks. I'm sure others don't mind it but luck is ridiculous. If you played as a Vanguard and the more you played as one then you automatically unlocked another Vanguard character then that would make more sense. Save the packs for weapons and equipment.

If you want characters unlocked, you should probably just buy Veteran packs. Recruit packs seem good for getting lots of equipment along with some weapon unlocks and an occasional weapon. The chances of getting a character are probably much better in a Veteran pack, thereby justifying the quadruple cost.

Because of my luck, my thoughts are that unlock system sucks. I'm sure others don't mind it but luck is ridiculous. If you played as a Vanguard and the more you played as one then you automatically unlocked another Vanguard character then that would make more sense. Save the packs for weapons and equipment.

Totes. It'd be nice if unlocking a new character was based around XP -- the more you play with the class, the more you work towards unlocking a new race. But, for impatient folks (and those who are lucky), there's always a chance to unlock them with a pack.

If you want characters unlocked, you should probably just buy Veteran packs. Recruit packs seem good for getting lots of equipment along with some weapon unlocks and an occasional weapon. The chances of getting a character are probably much better in a Veteran pack, thereby justifying the quadruple cost.

I haven't unlocked any new character packs yet, either. It's pretty ridiculous.

X-Frame

I suppose I will stick with Veteran packs then.

This system is just so odd. So for me to upgrade my weapons I need to wait until the same weapon comes in a pack again?

I haven't unlocked any new character packs yet, either. It's pretty ridiculous.

Except for my starter pack Krogan Soldier, me neither. I've opened a couple Veteran packs and a half dozen Recruit packs, but the most exciting thing I've got was the Phalanx pistol (but it is darn good).

Still, I don't mind the unlock system. Heck, it's taking me forever to unlock the MP7 in MW3 (obviously I don't play a ton, I'm a level 68), and that's my most wanted gun. At least with ME3 I get the illusion that I could unlock a Drell Vanguard or Turian Sentinel at any time.

X-Frame

Except for my starter pack Krogan Soldier, me neither. I've opened a couple Veteran packs and a half dozen Recruit packs, but the most exciting thing I've got was the Phalanx pistol (but it is darn good).

Still, I don't mind the unlock system. Heck, it's taking me forever to unlock the MP7 in MW3 (obviously I don't play a ton, I'm a level 68), and that's my most wanted gun. At least with ME3 I get the illusion that I could unlock a Drell Vanguard or Turian Sentinel at any time.

But at least you KNOW you will get it after a certain amount of time. There are people I assume who are close to maxing out their N7 rank and still don't have all the classes. So theoretically they could have to play for 500 hours before they unlock all the classes?

ShaneB

Just finished my first Silver mission -- feels good! Been playing on PC and I have to say I like it way more than 360 (and this is coming from a console player). Just feels smoother.

Will probably be playing the majority on 360, though, since that's where my ME1/ME2 character saves are. And my friends.

Speaking of, I've been having some great matches with randoms, but can't wait to play with 3 other friends and actually coordinate strategies. Must say BioWare is proving the ME-doesn't-need-multiplayer skeptics wrong (i.e., me!). ;)

You pretty much echo my thoughts exactly. I stated earlier it just feels a lot more fluid on pc, and my laptop isn't exactly top of the line.

But I want to finish the trilogy on 360, although ME1 and 2 pc are now 5 bucks on amazon... I am tempted!

I guess I should add my info,

GT: x ShaneB x
Origin: xShaneBx

Still deciding where I'll be playing this =/

But at least you KNOW you will get it after a certain amount of time. There are people I assume who are close to maxing out their N7 rank and still don't have all the classes. So theoretically they could have to play for 500 hours before they unlock all the classes?

I don't think it'll work that way, at least not with the retail release. I think it'll be somewhat easy to hit a saturation point with some of the unlocks, at which point all you'll have left are things you haven't unlocked. Of course, with the possibility of promotion of MP characters into the SP campaign, I might be completely wrong.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Damn man. Thanks for the explanation - Sentinel is useless. I'd be better rolling-up an Infiltrator class (just like everybody else).

It's not that bad. I should see if the armor/shield buff makes it more like it's single player counterpart but the powers are completely underwhelming to me since they aren't a 1:1 or near 1:1 analogue with their single player counterparts.

You're better off using the guns and melee personally.

Orca

I'm the other way with it - I really like it because there's that element of chance to it. It's probably 90% of the reason I still buy packs of Magic the Gathering from time to time instead of just buying the cards I want...the rush of opening them to find what's inside.

I've alternated between saving up to buy two Veteran packs at a time and blowing through the 5000 as soon as it comes in and I found more characters in the Rookie packs, though it's probably a lower percentage overall. I think they get less exp to start if you find them in the Rookie packs, but that's not really a big consideration.

I think I may have figured out how the lobby system works. I don't think people can join your game if ANYONE in the party is readied up. It seems to lock out the session. I really hope the full version will have party support in the matchmaking. As it is now, it is painful trying to get friends together to play

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm the other way with it - I really like it because there's that element of chance to it. It's probably 90% of the reason I still buy packs of Magic the Gathering from time to time instead of just buying the cards I want...the rush of opening them to find what's inside.

Except a card game is different from a video game, try again. When you're continuing to spend 20K credits a pop to try to unlock other races and classes and there is no guarantee of that happening your system sucks. The slot machine system sucked in Lost Planet 2. It continues to suck here. Leave the slot machine for actual slot machines. Not my goddamn unlocks.

Top Bottom