• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3: Omega DLC - 27th November, 1200 points

An-Det

No surprise on the dlc, but I'm looking forward to it. I'll probably hold off on playing it though, like I did with Leviathan, until all the dlc is out so I can do it in one round.

Fowler

Bisnic said:
I dunno, i always thought that was a weird excuse.... plenty of games have DLC with no planned direct sequel that continue its story or transfer decisions that you made. Did people say that when the Missing Link DLC of Deux Ex HR would have 0 impact on the overall story and wouldnt matter in the end even if a sequel eventually come out in a few years? When i buy DLC, it's for the gameplay content and story bits, not if it actually matter in the overall story or for potential sequels.

Missing Link is actually a good example of how I feel about DLC like this. It promised to fill in the gaps and provide revelations -- but I finished the story already, I know the big narrative arc. I got it anyway, because I liked Deus Ex. It filled in a gap that was a bit odd, but not entirely interesting or necessary (IMO!).

Now I should say: DLC that provides a great and different gameplay experience is different. I'm willing to ignore story issues for gameplay reasons.

But with ME3... I feel like I've completed Shepard's story and saved the galaxy. So what will I get from this that I haven't done or experienced before? What's the hook to draw me back in?

I do put a lot of emphasis on narrative though, so a lot of that is my problem!

Patryn

I feel something. Something I've not felt in a long time, not since....

Oh my god. I think I actually feel almost like picking up Mass Effect again. Just when I thought I really was out, what with skipping Leviathan and not feeling anything, all of sudden... maybe...

Stoffinator

Double the size of the last one? So it's now about 2 hours? I loved the last two that came out, but they were really short for the $10 you had to pay. Now we get to pay $15. Yaaay.

I feel something. Something I've not felt in a long time, not since....

Oh my god. I think I actually feel almost like picking up Mass Effect again. Just when I thought I really was out, what with skipping Leviathan and not feeling anything, all of sudden... maybe...

Don't be tempted my son.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Double the size of the last one? So it's now about 2 hours? I loved the last two that came out, but they were really short for the $10 you had to pay. Now we get to pay $15. Yaaay.

With Leviathan, i took the time to explore the Citadel lab and new missions, read logs and didnt skip any dialogues + checking the Normandy after every missions for new squadmates comments.

Took me around 2h30 or 3h to complete. So if Omega is at least 5 hours, i wont complain.

I guess if you rushed it, it would last one hour...but i don't rush new stuff.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I hope "play with Aria" means she takes on the role of a temp squad mate. That would be neat.

I hope "play with Aria" means she takes on the role of a temp squad mate. That would be neat.

Yep. From BioWare Pulse last year:

asari.jpg

Bisnic

Not surprising, just proves another junior talks more and finishes less games. Please flush money down the toilet and assume its going to bioware.

What is that suppose to mean?

And it's funny to see a junior member call another junior member a "junior". It feels... ironic.
And it makes even less sense when both of them have been here for 4-5 years already.

thumb

Banned
God, that ending soured me on the entire franchise. It isn't just about those last 10 minutes, it's their retroactive effect on the meaning and purpose of all that transpired. Not to mention the major, gut wrenching decisions in past games getting turned into trivial bumps to your galaxy at war numbers that can be easily replaced with a little multiplayer.

I find it hard to care about this DLC. The fan base gave them the opportunity for a do-over on the ending, and they said "no". Now they want me to buy their stuff, and I say "no".

stn

ME3 has definitely had one of the best DLC packages around. The multi-player re-vamp plus this? Definitely getting this, also going to get Leviathan soon. I need to get all the achievements for 3 and 1.

Derrick01

Banned
Hope it'll be longer to justify that price.

Yeah I'll need 5 hours minimum to justify that price. And it needs to be a lot more RPG with a lot more talking and doing non-combat stuff for me to get it. I can just play the multi if I want to spend hours shooting more things and save $15.

AlexBasch

Cool. Will wait for a DOTW on ME3 and get the three DLC's. I bought all the ME2 DLC for 200 MSP a piece, don't know why I would pay more for 3's. :p

I probably shouldn't post in here because I know I'm just shoveling more of the same old tired shit that people are probably sick of hearing onto the pile but, I can't believe my disinterest in more content from this series after how much I loved this universe prior to that ending.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Maybe I'll actually play the game in December then.

Lakitu

st5fu
Don't know if this has been mentioned, I only saw the first 1:30 of the interview in the OP and I assumed it was done but according to VG247 it's a timed-exclusive on Xbox 360. I'd wait for confirmation though.

I think I'll probably just YouTube it for the story.

The Mass Effect 3 singleplayer DLC is pretty worthless for me. The story and the universe have been wrapped up by the ending so there is no wondering where this fits in the story of the universe. Omega is going to get retaken by Shepard and Friends and then it will add X amount of points to the War Effort.

Bisnic

The Mass Effect 3 singleplayer DLC is pretty worthless for me. The story and the universe have been wrapped up by the ending so there is no wondering where this fits in the story of the universe. Omega is going to get retaken by Shepard and Friends and then it will add X amount of points to the War Effort.

War Effort is pretty worthless anyway, i just act like it doesn't exist and play it like i played past ME DLCs : without caring about the extra points, XP or credits they provide.

Again, I can't see why this has to be about its ending impact on the wider story - isn't finding out more about Omega, Aria and the ME universe in general the point?

Or, to put it more generally, isn't it about the journey, not the destination?

Twas shown at Comic Con. Fan interview (no shown content).

- Aria (derr).
- Female Turian character introduced. Named Narim (or something).
- "One of our largest we've done so far. Basically double the size of the largest DLC we've done for ME3".
- Follows the Invasion comic series, including General Petrovsky's command over Omega.
- New enemies.
- 1200 Microsoft points. ME3 Leviathan and From Ashes, and ME2 Shadow Borker, were 800 points. Thus it is the most expensive Mass Effect DLC to date.

Figured it was worth a thread to the three of us with severe enough mental problems to care.

Why offend me?

I'll actually probably wait for a sale later. Still immersed in Borderlands 2.

Never understood the fascination with Omega, I personally thought it was one of the weakest areas in ME 2. I found Aria completely obnoxious and arrogant to the point where I had as little contact with her as possible. I was actually rather pleased Aria had sod all to do in ME 3.

So the Omega DLC doesn't really appeal to me especially when they are trying to rip off $15 bucks out of people for content that at best will probably be less than 2 hours.

At this point in time I would much rather they just concentrated on multiplayer DLC for ME 3 (this is coming from someone that refuses to play MP) the single player aspect of this game is dead and they are just compounding the problem with the single player game with gibberish like Leviathan and the new gibberish that will probably come from Omega.

Kyari

I dunno, I hate to chime in as part of the "ending ruined it" club, but .... that ending ruined it for me.
I don't know, I just don't see the point in story set before something that already has a defined end point.

Also wasn't this DLC in the entire script that leaked before the game came out?

Also wasn't this DLC in the entire script that leaked before the game came out?

The set-up for this - conversations with Aria in the club on the Citadel where she reintroduces the idea of retaking Omega, asking you to help as well as a few strings which appear to relate to missions ON Omega (the kind of text that'd appear on the Galaxy Map) - are in the text files of the final game as well as the leaked script, but there's nothing actually of the missions themselves.

This is no different from ME2, though, where Liara's "Let's go get the Shadow Broker" text is in the main game, but not activated until Shadow Broker. People can complain about this all they like, I guess, but everyone sung the praises of Shadow Broker hard, and the basis of that DLC was from cut content from ME2's opening.

Lothars

Never understood the fascination with Omega, I personally thought it was one of the weakest areas in ME 2. I found Aria completely obnoxious and arrogant to the point where I had as little contact with her as possible. I was actually rather pleased Aria had sod all to do in ME 3.

So the Omega DLC doesn't really appeal to me especially when they are trying to rip off $15 bucks out of people for content that at best will probably be less than 2 hours.

At this point in time I would much rather they just concentrated on multiplayer DLC for ME 3 (this is coming from someone that refuses to play MP) the single player aspect of this game is dead and they are just compounding the problem with the single player game with gibberish like Leviathan and the new gibberish that will probably come from Omega.
So it doesn't appeal to you but that doesn't mean it doesn't appeal to the rest of us, I love ME3 and look forward to playing this Omega DLC.

It's far from gibberish as well.

Montresor

I lost all my save files for everything yesterday.

How many hours does it take in a new game to be able to play the new DLC (Leviathan & Omega).

edit: reworded

Stasis

Super excited. Haven't played Leviathan yet either, and I'm thrilled to do both at the same time. ME3 just does something to me no other games in recent memory have managed to do.

I want to be IN that world. I love the ever-living shit out of all things Mass Effect.

Again, I can't see why this has to be about its ending impact on the wider story - isn't finding out more about Omega, Aria and the ME universe in general the point?

Or, to put it more generally, isn't it about the journey, not the destination?
The destination is just as important.

I think the problem with all the DLC is that ultimately it doesn't matter. Not debating the content of the ending so much as the fact that the ending literally ENDS the story -- it's not a continuation, there's no possibility for ambiguity like ME2 (where the DLC could come either before or after the ending), the end of ME3 is the end.

I played Leviathan because I wanted to see the Extended Cut ending, so I did both at once. I liked Leviathan and I appreciate all that they're putting into the DLC... it just feels so pointless to me.

^this. I liked Mass 3, liked the story, and feel fine about the ending. It ended pretty much the way I expected it would. But the finality of the story and the fact that during the game you were racing against time and galactic extinction makes squeezing DLC into the middle pointless at best, completely out of place at worst.

Top Bottom