• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I highly recommend people visit Huerta Memorial Hospital multiple times and go and listen to the two Asari talking. As soon as you get off the elevator go to the right. You'll see the two of them sitting on chairs talking to each other.

Not sure if you can just stand there, but I would go to a different level and return to continue her story.

You don't directly interact with them. I didn't notice until I finally turned on subtitles and it caught my interest.

Ultimately you find out why she wants that gun

Did you notice the connection between that story and a major character?

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I found the video on YT. I hadn't seen the whole thing, because I missed a few parts.

Spoiler: youtube.com/watch?&v=_H5mSxRBGfU

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
It's unfortunate that most every other conversation on the Citadel loops after about 5 passes. The two asari were actually really well done, all things considered.

The one between the old woman and the receptionist in the embassies was kind of heartbreaking.

Khal_B

Yeah, the banter between the Asari in Huerta Memorial is definitely the best and most disturbing, especially since it relates to
someone close to home
. I actually stood there shocked for a bit after a realized who it was referring to.

Dries

Okay, I will admit to not having read much of this OT or any other ME3 thread simply because of spoilers and trying to go in blind (which, tbh at this point is really hard to do what with the backlash against the game).

I just started playing on PC two days ago and I am finding it VERY difficult to find the motivation to continue. I bought the first ME on 360 when it came out and plowed through it, LOVED THE FUCKING GAME TO DEATH. Everything about it was exactly what I wanted in an RPG and a game in general.

Anticipated ME2 but kept myself mostly in the dark about it. Let's just say I was... less than overjoyed upon playing it and seeing all the changes that had been made (gameplay wise and narrative wise). I still played through it multiple times, and each time I found myself liking the Mass Effect universe less and less, due to what had been done to it by the writing staff.

I held off playing ME3 until I could put my new PC together, which I just did last week. Installed and booted it up and was greeted with an beginning sequence that was miles ahead of ME2's in quality, great. Then I actually took control and began fighting alongside
Anderson
. Immediately I noticed something was off; something didn't feel right. It was the FOV, but I let it slide and kept playing. After about 10 minutes, the intro "level" was wrapped up and I sat there saying to myself "the fuck, is that IT?"

Cut scene after unending cut scene, I waited. Finally I regained control and kept playing. Then it hit me; I AM RUNNING AROUND LIKE A MORON POINTING MY WEAPON AT FRIENDLIES AND COMPUTER CONSOLES. I know this is probably old news to you guys, but holy shit you have no idea how much this bothers me when I play. I don't even necessarily need HOLSTERING (though it would be SO NICE). If Shep would just LOWER HIS WEAPON when not in direct combat, it would be so much more tolerable.

I'm the kind of guy that when playing an RPG, I try and make the character act how I would. If I am not in combat, I put my weapon away. I can't stand running through long stretches of combat-less corridors and still having my weapon drawn. I know, it's a nonissue to a lot (majority) of people, but to me it takes away a LOT of the role playing aspect of the game.

Suddenly, out of nowhere it's stated that
The Protheans actually were putting up a fight against the Reapers and had them NEARLY defeated, but that they ran out of time.
WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA. Where did THIS retcon come from? REALLY? They spend 2 games building up to the big bad reapers and
the protheans actually had them on the ropes
? YEEUUUGH.

tl;dr does this game get any better? I'm only 2 hours in and already I want to pull my hair out :\

you can mod holstering in on PC

So it is possible to holster your gun on PC via mods? Could someone please confirm this?

Edit: never mind

Montresor

The planet Aequitas is showing up as a mission planet but I can't land. This is apparently a known bug. Will it have any impact on my other missions? I'm trying to get the insanity achievements at the moment.

Nah, just ignore it.

So what's with the bug? Is it that Aequitas has ZERO side quests attached to it and the game is mistakenly flagging it as a side quest world? Or does Aequitas have a real side quest attached to it and the bug prevents you from ever dealing with it?

Ricker

Guess I chose the wrong mission on my first trek out after the Citadel...the Grissom student mission is fucking hard for me,even on normal,and I forgot that once you are on a mission you are locked in there ,no turning,no armor change and the like...so it's back to the citadel on a save from 2 hours ago for me,I'll go do something else...is it just me or Grissom hard?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Guess I chose the wrong mission on my first trek out after the Citadel...the Grissom student mission is fucking hard for me,even on normal,and I forgot that once you are on a mission you are locked in there ,no turning,no armor change and the like...so it's back to the citadel on a save from 2 hours ago for me,I'll go do something else...is it just me or Grissom hard?

It not that bad. The park can be tough but nothing that cant be handled once to realize where things spawn. BTW the grissom academy mission does have a time limit on it. You can only do so many missions before you cant save the students anymore.

So...finally picked this up today at Best Buy for $40. Kinda pissed at the moment as it looks like I'll have to replay about 40 minutes (it should be faster the second time though) because I missed a weapon upgrade on Mars after accidentally going through the last irreversible door. And then I'll have to sit through a few too many cutscenes.

The amount of cutscenes in the first 90 minutes of the game is really quite jarring.

And I'm not sure if I'm happy with my Shepard import. I'll have to double back into ME2 and check. I may end up going back and finishing off stuff and just restarting ME3 altogether. I had all of the DLC except Arrival. I finished Kasumi and was partway through Overlord. I haven't ever done Lair of the Shadow Broker and I think there was maybe another one I hadn't done. Even just under 2 hours in, I think doing Lair may have a slight effect on one conversation (I've been spoiled on some of the plot for that.)

Unfortunately, unless I want to backtrack pretty damn far into ME2, I'll still miss out on saving the extraneous crew members (the counselor lady mostly - forget the name), but that doesn't bother me too much. I can always do a "perfect" run through all 3 games at some point.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member

What are you playing as? Who are you bringing with you?

Ricker

What are you playing as? Who are you bringing with you?

I'm Infiltrator I guess(my game is in French,it's the one that can cloak himself)and the first time I had Liara and Garrus...now I am trying with James and Garrus...I made it to the 3rd area and I thought it was over but there was one turret left and it killed me...just sorta gave up for a bit after that hehe...

Okay, I will admit to not having read much of this OT or any other ME3 thread simply because of spoilers and trying to go in blind (which, tbh at this point is really hard to do what with the backlash against the game).

I just started playing on PC two days ago and I am finding it VERY difficult to find the motivation to continue. I bought the first ME on 360 when it came out and plowed through it, LOVED THE FUCKING GAME TO DEATH. Everything about it was exactly what I wanted in an RPG and a game in general.

Anticipated ME2 but kept myself mostly in the dark about it. Let's just say I was... less than overjoyed upon playing it and seeing all the changes that had been made (gameplay wise and narrative wise). I still played through it multiple times, and each time I found myself liking the Mass Effect universe less and less, due to what had been done to it by the writing staff.

I held off playing ME3 until I could put my new PC together, which I just did last week. Installed and booted it up and was greeted with an beginning sequence that was miles ahead of ME2's in quality, great. Then I actually took control and began fighting alongside
Anderson
. Immediately I noticed something was off; something didn't feel right. It was the FOV, but I let it slide and kept playing. After about 10 minutes, the intro "level" was wrapped up and I sat there saying to myself "the fuck, is that IT?"

Cut scene after unending cut scene, I waited. Finally I regained control and kept playing. Then it hit me; I AM RUNNING AROUND LIKE A MORON POINTING MY WEAPON AT FRIENDLIES AND COMPUTER CONSOLES. I know this is probably old news to you guys, but holy shit you have no idea how much this bothers me when I play. I don't even necessarily need HOLSTERING (though it would be SO NICE). If Shep would just LOWER HIS WEAPON when not in direct combat, it would be so much more tolerable.

I'm the kind of guy that when playing an RPG, I try and make the character act how I would. If I am not in combat, I put my weapon away. I can't stand running through long stretches of combat-less corridors and still having my weapon drawn. I know, it's a nonissue to a lot (majority) of people, but to me it takes away a LOT of the role playing aspect of the game.

The Protheans actually were putting up a fight against the Reapers and had them NEARLY defeated, but that they ran out of time.
WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA. Where did THIS retcon come from? REALLY? They spend 2 games building up to the big bad reapers and
? YEEUUUGH.

tl;dr does this game get any better? I'm only 2 hours in and already I want to pull my hair out :\

I know that feel, bro.

Wait til you get to the ending...

Grissom was pretty hard for me on both Normal and Insanity. It's not just you.

RyanDG

? YEEUUUGH.

About your spoiler part...

When is it said that the Protheans almost had the reapers defeated? I know that they were almost able to complete the crucible, but they ran out of time to complete it. But other than that, they were fighting a losing battle on nearly all fronts. The Protheans simply were delaying the inevitable (hence the need for the "Noah's Ark"). Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but I didn't get the interpretation that the Protheans had almost defeated the reapers out of my playthrough unless I mentally blocked something out on purpose. :p

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
About your spoiler part...

When is it said that the Protheans almost had the reapers defeated? I know that they were almost able to complete the crucible, but they ran out of time to complete it. But other than that, they were fighting a losing battle on nearly all fronts. The Protheans simply were delaying the inevitable (hence the need for the "Noah's Ark"). Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but I didn't get the interpretation that the Protheans had almost defeated the reapers out of my playthrough unless I mentally blocked something out on purpose. :p

They were
against the wall and cut off from one another. Its never stated how far they got in crucible construction or what happened to the scientists and engineers tasked with building it. Other than that, the protheans were losing horribly.

Cromat

Yeah i'm playing on Normal and that mission was genuinely hard.
I died about 5 times in the last sequence before succeeding. Didn't help that my autosave had me without medigel and with only one bar of health. Eventually I dug in near the area where you're supposed to be picked off by the shuttle and played extremely carefully (I was with Liara and James, Liara was dead by the end of it).

RoylAsult

Ok now i really need help in Mass Effect 2, this is a picture of all the missions i have available, what am i missing.

photo2.jpg

photo-18.jpg

I just spent that last hour or so on Illium with the whole liara thing and the shadow broker, while awesome im still not getting to where i want to be. I went to the Citadel and went through the whole becoming alive thing and and recruiting the theif. There is one more squad member left all the way to the left, but idk who that is or how to get them.

I just want to talk to the illusive man and then get onto the the ship to get on with the game.

soldat7

So it is possible to holster your gun on PC via mods? Could someone please confirm this?

Edit: never mind

Wait a second....you can't holster your weapon? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Guess I'll just play it on PC when I get my new one. Good grief BioWare.

DTKT

Wait a second....you can't holster your weapon? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

There is a pretty big issue with the mod. Every time you switch between the two stances, you need to reload the game. Basically, the game doesn't load both animation sets.

I don't think the mod creator found a way around that.

soldat7

There is a pretty big issue with the mod. Every time you switch between the two stances, you need to reload the game. Basically, the game doesn't load both animation sets.

I don't think the mod creator found a way around that.

Piece of garbage. I refuse to play ME3 until this gets patched in. Unbelievable.

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah, I'm not confident in BioWare anymore. I'll go for the PC version eventually. It'll eventually work there, I'm sure.
Wouldn't count on it either, or at least on holstering being "pretty", since there's no holstering animation.

I miss holstering, but you learn to live without it.

Wouldn't count on it either, or at least on holstering being "pretty", since there's no holstering animation.

I miss holstering, but you learn to live without it.

The quicksave button replacing holstering is infinitely more useful. I cant believe people are complaining about this....

zkylon

zkylewd
Controllers don't have an F5 button.
Well, so then...

Console guys: got quicksave, lost holstering
PC guys: lost holstering

That's nice and all for the console guys, but my complaint is still valid.

And let's not get started on the magical does-it-all spacebar...

MNC

Story wise it was huge. There is a significant difference in what you see based on your decisions. Especially if you carried your saves over.
During that mission, yes. But afterwards, either the
krogan or salarians
give you war assets. Same goes for
geth vs quarian.
plus you might get an extra scene when theyre naming all the ready fleets. Thats it. The decision especially makes me angry.
rachni
. Theres hardly any followup branching in the story. War assets. I agree tuchanka and rannoch when regarded standalone were great missions, and very emotional.
except the fact legion dies no mather what... Mordin atleast could be saved if you went through a series of decisions. Now that's impact. And what effect does it have if eve dies? You can still do the genophage mission, right?

Recently finished and immediately started on my Insanity run (Infiltrator Femshep). Was playing last night and finally finished the last Tuchanka mission before saving up and switching off for teh night.

Had a quick look to see what my progress was looking like towards the "Kill 5000 Enemies" cheesemint, only to discover that sometime recently virtually ALL my counters have been reset.

Apparently I havent scanned any planets, haven't done any of the N7 missions, and have only killed 684 enemies, amongst others. It's tracked that I've done 12 of the 27 missions on Insanity, although I don't know for certain if that's accurate till I boot it up again and count through.

Been making a habit of scanning all systems to 100% and doing all side missions that I can before moving on to the "Priority" stuff.

Fuck fuckety fuck fuck!

Also, why does Femshep turn into a bow-legged moron when running on the Normandy/Citidel?

I've had my achievements reset twice in the last 4 weeks or so, really annoying and I blame origin, every time I had them reset it's because of some random "join origin!" message on boot up on my 360, i've already said yes to it 3 times now...

nel e nel

Well, so then...

Console guys: got quicksave, lost holstering
PC guys: lost holstering

That's nice and all for the console guys, but my complaint is still valid.

Definitely a valid complaint, and as a console guy, I miss the holstering. Moreso than that, I don't like how they zoomed the camera in so much on Shepard.

But playing through ME2 again, I notice that Shepard is the only one who can holster their weapon on missions. Squadmates keep them drawn at all times.

For those who have finished the game:

I am near the end of the game, should I finish it, despite the horrible ending? I have no idea what it is yet, but I almost DON'T want to know...

I am loving literally every second I play campaign - it is so immersive and knowing the ending is just awful, I just take every cutscene/decision the way it is without hoping for a good ending haha.

Should I trudge forward, and experience the awfulness?

Minamu

So what's with the bug? Is it that Aequitas has ZERO side quests attached to it and the game is mistakenly flagging it as a side quest world? Or does Aequitas have a real side quest attached to it and the bug prevents you from ever dealing with it?
The planet had a mission in me2, maybe it's a glithc related to an old quest?

- J - D -

I am near the end of the game, should I finish it, despite the horrible ending? I have no idea what it is yet, but I almost DON'T want to know...

I am loving literally every second I play campaign - it is so immersive and knowing the ending is just awful, I just take every cutscene/decision the way it is without hoping for a good ending haha.

Depends. Can you wait a few months for the Extended Cut to release?

You can only experience something the first time once, and honestly, if I could, Id have waited.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap

I'd wait and I liked the ending. You only gain by waiting because they won't make it worse (I hope).

rozay

Banned
Definitely a valid complaint, and as a console guy, I miss the holstering. Moreso than that, I don't like how they zoomed the camera in so much on Shepard.

But playing through ME2 again, I notice that Shepard is the only one who can holster their weapon on missions. Squadmates keep them drawn at all times.
They lower their weapons when enemies are not in the area, don't they?

Top Bottom