• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

Patryn

Finally near the end I believe. Picked up the trilogy on PC a while ago when it was on sale for $10 and been making my way through it. I reach a point that clearly seems like a point of no return so I've stopped played and backed up my save file.

Just need to decide if I'm going to buy the Omega and Citadel DLC. Going to wait and see if they ever go on sale. Or if I have to buy bioware points in order to buy them and that doesn't seem like it ever goes on sale. I guess I could always watch them on youtube but rather play through them.

I do think playing all three of them back to back was a bad idea. I've kind just going through the motions now with combat. It isn't very interesting anymore.

Citadel is worth it at full price, IMO.

Omega is worth it if it's on sale and you really love the combat of ME3, because it has very little story or character benefit.

Patryn

Does completing either of them impact how the story ends?

No.

Omega has literally no impact one way or the other.

However, Citadel feels like it was designed to be the last thing played. If you have not yet beaten ME3, then I suggest that you beat ME3 before playing Citadel, then go back to your save just before the point of no return and play Citadel. It has a very different tone than the rest of the game, is very much a lot of fan service, and does a nice job actually leaving you on a high note. As firehawk said, it's the emotional payoff. It provides a lot of closure for the the characters and the world in a way that the regular and Extended Cut ending do not.

Citadel is where everything comes together for the big sendoff. There are so many variables and possibilities. If what you wanted was an ending where every one of the nine trillion things you could have done made an impact, the closest thing you'll get is the party scene in the Citadel DLC.

The ending is still the ending (
CONTROL IS THE TRUE ENDING
), but the Extended cut, Leviathan, and Citadel give it more context and flavor.

Omega really is useless. If it re-introduced Omega as some kind of sidequest hub (something in the vein of the Armax arena would be cool, or more SP-tuned versions of the MP maps), but it's really a dead end. And the last thing Mass Effect needed was a traditional boss fight. It'd be great as a pivotal chapter in an Aria-focused game, but in Shepard's story, it makes no sense.

Effect

I think I will pick up the Citadel DLC. Though need a break from the series. Finished up ME3, with the extended cut DLC today. Picked the
Destroy ending
as it was the only one that made sense to me considering everything that took place and what my character went through. However the loss of
EDI
as a result does really bother me the most about that ending. This is one of the reasons why I want to play the Citadel DLC.

I believe my EMS was above 5100 so I think I got a pretty good ending all things considered. The future looked bright based on the sending narration. However I couldn't get the final paragon choice when talking with
the Illusive Man
. At the very end though I did see
Joke, Liara, and Ashley exit the ship. I used Liara and Ashley a lot in ME1 and 3. Not having Liara put Shepard's name on the wall, believing he was still out there, was good to see as she ended up being my character's love interest from ME1. Would have been better had they suggested there would be little Liara's running around at some point. I like to pretend there will be. :) Also that Shepard will see them since I got the scene where it looks like he's still alive. I just didn't get an image of Jack or Miranda while I did for Jacob and there was nothing to even suggest they were dead either. Those are the only two unknowns for me I believe.

I didn't hate the ending really. It was disappointing in spots. Especially not getting any mention at all of
Aria's forces
once the invasion started. Expected they'd be in the roll call.

I don't really have any desire to go through that final battle though. However I did backed up my auto save in key sections. Glad Origin pauses the game when you bring it up. So I can go back to some points during the finally mission and right when I have to make my choice.

I've played about 20-ish hours of ME3 and I've just raided the
Cerberus base
, and defeated
Kai Leng
. Horrible boss battle though; absolutely shitty and tedious. I hate boss battles where you have to fight waves of minions while the boss is immune, and this one was particularly bad.

The
Citadel has now moved to Earth and the Reapers are protecting it
, and thus I assume I'm pretty near the end. This has probably been my least favourite instalment, although it has been a great series overall.

I'm now
in London
, just chatted to all my squadmates and I think I'm getting ready for the final assault. I'm happy to rush through and finish up now, because I'm so tired of getting dropped into areas and having to fight waves of enemies. I'm not really sure what the structure of the Reaper hierarchy is, as I assumed it was solely these titanic alien robots who could crush everything in their path, but apparently they need infantry (Husks, Cannibals, Marauders etc), they have tons of fighter jets at their disposal and they need smaller Reapers to act as rearguard cannons. But all this seems kinda needless if they're enormous and practically indestructible sentient robots.

Anyway, I hope I'm able to finish up tonight, and I hope the ending isn't extremely disappointing.

Anyway, I hope I'm able to finish up tonight, and I hope the ending isn't extremely disappointing.

bender-futurama-laughp9rkn.gif

Yeah... I'm preparing for the worst (I've tried to avoid spoilers over the last couple of years, but I know something about a
"Star Child"
) but to be honest I haven't enjoyed ME3 all that much anyway, so I'm not sure it will make all that huge a difference. I thought ME2 was better in terms of content, and ME1 much better than both in terms of story.

Holy fuck; what a bag of shite that was. Much worse than I was expecting. I think I need to read up on it before I comment too much, but it didn't even seem to make much sense.

I choose to take control of the Reapers and burn into dust. The 'Paragon' ending, I guess?

I've got to say, I've read a lot of stuff about the ending and watched the videos for the other endings, and it still feels like a bullshit cop out. The problem goes back to the original Mass Effect, where Bioware made a single Reaper so powerful that the whole human fleet could barely take it down. If there had been a couple of hundred of them and they cleared the galaxy out one planet at a time then it might be manageable, but there must be thousands upon thousands of them, they have near limitless infantry and countless fighter units too. Making them so powerful might have made the first couple of games exciting, but also backed them into a corner for writing the ending.

I don't really understand the motivation behind the Catalyst or the Reapers - they had to
destroy advanced civilisations to prevent those civilisations building synthetics, since those synthetics would inevitably turn against their creators. So their solution to war was war and genocide on a galaxy-wide scale?! Is this kind of like when the AI in I, Robot decides to protect humans by limiting their freedom
, but at least that made sense? I think this image (taken from the original spoiler topic which is now locked) best summarises my thoughts.

Didn't ruin the whole series for me and I'll still be interested in ME4 when it's finally ready, but I hope the plot is less bollocks next time around. Ignoring the ending ME3 was my least favourite in terms of combat/encounter design and the overall narrative & tone.

EDIT - added spoiler text.

Sai

Well, try to remember the good times.

Speaking of good times, have you played the Citadel DLC yet? If not, get on it; you may find that it makes up for the ending.

Asbear

Banned
I definitely agree with triggerhappytel that ME3 was just overall the worst in terms of narrative, not just because of the ending (although a good final act might have salvaged it). I still hope NextME will, not necessarily return to roots, but return or take the franchise to a more comfortable and likable tone and style of narrative than this "larger-than-life" crap. The new lead writer Christopher Schlerf has said in all interviews that I could find, that he is more interested in more intimate and character driven stories than stories that focus too much on the plot itself. Part of me sees a big "DANGER" sign in that because there's nothing worse than writers who don't realize what "plot" actually is (the "why the story happens" made from characters, their motivations and actions aka characters are the plot when you boil it down) but I think he realizes the importance of memorable characters over plot-fixation that, to name a few, are pitfalls that games like Bioshock Infinite, Deus Ex Human Revolution and the later Ace Attorney games fall into.

I just hope whatever comes next makes the franchise return to its former glory so I can perceive it as I did when ME2 was fresh again. Mass Effect 3 was my most highly anticipated game I've ever known but it just failed in the big scheme of things. It had its moments but they were overshadowed by an air of mediocrity that I never felt in ME1 or ME2. I blame the absence of Drew Karpyshyn and a way too short development cycle, but I know everything was a factor, including bad design-decisions made by those who previously did wonders for the franchise, including Casey Hudson.

I'm just saying, anything could happen next.

Top Bottom