• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

Koeta

Having an issue I can't seem to find a fix for, after the credits roll I get the pop up saying thanks for playing and all that, after I click ok, nothing happens... from What I have gathered it should ask me about new game plus or something but all I get is a black screen every time I try.

Any ideas for a fix for this issue?

DSmalls84

I'm just getting around to playing this and was wondering what dlc is considered a must? I don't really want to spend $45 to get it all if it doesn't add to the experience much.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm just getting around to playing this and was wondering what dlc is considered a must? I don't really want to spend $45 to get it all if it doesn't add to the experience much.

From The Ashes(add another squadmate that's pretty interesting, he's better implemented into the main story than Zaeed and Kasumi were in ME2) = 10$
Leviathan(explain the origin of the Reapers + nice zones to visit) = 10$
Citadel(proper goodbye to your crew + lots of stuff to do + lots of laughs + sexy version of the Citadel + PARTY) = 15$
Extended cut(add scenes and more explanation to the ending) = free
Multiplayer DLCs(adds a lot more items, maps, characters and you'll find more players too) = free

Only Omega can be skipped really. All the others are worth it according to most fans.

DSmalls84

From The Ashes(add another squadmate that's pretty interesting, he's better implemented into the main story than Zaeed and Kasumi were in ME2) = 10$
Leviathan(explain the origin of the Reapers + nice zones to visit) = 10$
Citadel(proper goodbye to your crew + lots of stuff to do + lots of laughs + + sexy version of the Citadel + PARTY) = 15$
Extended cut(add scenes and more explanation to the ending) = free
Multiplayer DLCs(adds a lot more items, maps, characters and you'll find more players too) = free

Only Omega can be skipped really. All the others are worth it according to most fans.

Thanks.

I figured this would be as good as any place to ask (even though it refers to Mass Effect 2 and not 3), but does anyone have a clean sound clip of Kelly Chambers saying "No new messages, Commander"? I know you can rip audio from the PC version, but I can't figure out the tools to do so. I have her other clips saying "you have a private message" and whatnot, but not the one where she says "no new messages, commander". And, since I can't figure out how to rip from the files directly, I'd have to do it myself by recording the entire audio playing as she says it in game, and that would contain too much ambient noise/music/effects; I'd like the clean voice sample if at all possible. Does anyone have this sound clip or can anyone rip it for me? I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

edit: found a detailed guide on how to do it. thanks anyway!

spekkeh

Banned
LTTP having so much fun with the Citadel DLC. I laughed my ass off when I took EDI with me
to reclaim the Normandy
and she started bugging out. I can't invite Miranda to the party... Do I need tot do
Horizon first and keep her alive?
, if so, not sure if I'll be able to, at least failed in my first playthrough.

LTTP having so much fun with the Citadel DLC. I laughed my ass off when I took EDI with me
to reclaim the Normandy
and she started bugging out. I can't invite Miranda to the party... Do I need tot do
Horizon first and keep her alive?
, if so, not sure if I'll be able to, at least failed in my first playthrough.

Yes, you need to have done that mission first.

spekkeh

Banned
Wow Citadel was great, so much humor and good writing. If this is indicative for future Bioware, then I'm going to buy EA games after all.

Too bad Miranda was sending me all them booty calls but still woke up next to Liara, lol.

Bisnic

Not really sure where to post this, but Yanick Roy, the guy behind the next ME, tweeted this 2 days ago :

https://twitter.com/YanickRRoy/status/345537061794746369

Yanick Roy ‏@YanickRRoy
@JasonRoseEh That, I can answer right away: it will be the same type of game as the first three.

Well, at least that's something we won't have to speculate until we get more details. And I can already see people saying "But the first game wasn't a third person shooter!!!!". :lol

spekkeh

Banned
I'm fine with that, as long as they go light on the waves. I find that on my reruns I just put the game on casual/easy, because the fights sometimes feel more like they're stalling your progression than anything else.

Omega

Banned
Not really sure where to post this, but Yanick Roy, the guy behind the next ME, tweeted this 2 days ago :

https://twitter.com/YanickRRoy/status/345537061794746369

Well, at least that's something we won't have to speculate until we get more details. And I can already see people saying "But the first game wasn't a third person shooter!!!!". :lol

First game was definitely a shooter, but less shooty than 2 and 3. I had a playthrough as an Adept where I barely even shot and just used powers. (the way a biotic should be)

Bisnic

First game was definitely a shooter, but less shooty than 2 and 3. I had a playthrough as an Adept where I barely even shot and just used powers. (the way a biotic should be)

You mean, like adepts are in ME3 when they use light weapons for 200% power cooldown where spells like Throw or Singularity have like 1.5 sec cooldown? :p By the time Singularity reach your target, Throw is already available!

I agree for ME2 though.

Chris R

Is Genesis on the 360 worth it? Didn't really like the choices I ended up with on my save from ME1 and I'm going to play ME2 after I finish my next game in my backlog. Checked and saw that the choice picker is out now, but that it costs points to use :|

or should I just use the default save game (what are the choices that "save" made?)

edit: asking here since I couldn't find a ME2 thread or a general ME community thread.

Is Genesis on the 360 worth it? Didn't really like the choices I ended up with on my save from ME1 and I'm going to play ME2 after I finish my next game in my backlog. Checked and saw that the choice picker is out now, but that it costs points to use :|

or should I just use the default save game (what are the choices that "save" made?)

edit: asking here since I couldn't find a ME2 thread or a general ME community thread.
If you have a USB stick and a PC you can actually move your save from your 360 to PC, use the ME2 save editor to completely change your ME1 choices, then put your save file back on the 360. It might sound a bit conplicated, but you'll have complete control of every choice, whereas Genesis is rather limited. It's also what I did to mod my FemShep's hair back when I played on 360. It also allows you fix the Conrad Verner bug where he thinks you shoved a gun in his face no matter what you did in the first game.

Chris R

If you have a USB stick and a PC you can actually move your save from your 360 to PC, use the ME2 save editor to completely change your ME1 choices, then put your save file back on the 360. It might sound a bit conplicated, but you'll have complete control of every choice, whereas Genesis is rather limited. It's also what I did to mod my FemShep's hair back when I played on 360. It also allows you fix the Conrad Verner bug where he thinks you shoved a gun in his face no matter what you did in the first game.
I'll have to do this then, only thing I was bummed about was how Wrex was dead suddenly when I was playing ME1 :( liked all my other choices though, like saving the queen and what not.

spekkeh

Banned
Just finished the extended cut for the first time. The ending is definitely a lot better with the Leviathan DLC, although I found some of the plugging previous plotholes to miss the mark,
Like getting to say goodbye to your injured teammates. Harbinger is busy shooting all the little tanks, but the big ass spaceship filled with the crew who blew up the collectors base right in front of him, irrelevant.
I'd rather have my imagination filling in the blanks. Also didn't care for the montage.
Liara putting up my name on the wall however was really moving ;(

I just picked up ME3 for PC on GAME. Less than ten euros, couldn't pass it up. Now I have the entire trilogy, and just need some DLC stuff to finish off. Am probably gonna do an entire trilogy replay on the PC sometime soon, once I'm through my backlog. :lol

Setre

I have 1 and 2 on PC but was thinking of buying the trilogy on PS3 to do a playthrough of every game. Are the PS3 versions good or should I just stick to PC?

Bisnic

I have 1 and 2 on PC but was thinking of buying the trilogy on PS3 to do a playthrough of every game. Are the PS3 versions good or should I just stick to PC?

If you don't mind playing on PC with the keyboard/mouse setup, why would you buy the whole trilogy on PS3? You would have to pay more than just ME3 on PC and you would have worst performance.

Setre

If you don't mind playing on PC with the keyboard/mouse setup, why would you buy the whole trilogy on PS3? You would have to pay more than just ME3 on PC and you would have worst performance.

I dunno, I guess to have something to play on my PS3. I bought a new T.V. recently as well so that's another factor. I'd also get a physical copy of all three games that isn't restricted by Steam / Origin DRM.

nel e nel

Just finished the extended cut for the first time. The ending is definitely a lot better with the Leviathan DLC, although I found some of the plugging previous plotholes to miss the mark,
Like getting to say goodbye to your injured teammates. Harbinger is busy shooting all the little tanks, but the big ass spaceship filled with the crew who blew up the collectors base right in front of him, irrelevant.
I'd rather have my imagination filling in the blanks. Also didn't care for the montage.
Liara putting up my name on the wall however was really moving ;(

Yeah, I just finished up my 2nd main Shepard with Leviathan and I agree that it didn't really add any information that I didn't come to the same conclusion myself. It was fun, though, to get some more details on the history of the cycle, and it reminded me of that sense of mystery I had the first time I played ME1 where I didn't know exactly what was going on, and I had to follow a trail of clues around the galaxy to uncover the truth.

On the otherhand, PC versions of Mass Effect 1 and 2 have a couple quirks that need to be tweaked via ini files, the Garrus face texture in ME1 and the horrendous mouse sensitivity and acceleration in ME2 for example. If you don't mind tweaking and kb+m controls, then the PC versions are the best.

Bisnic

Never had trouble at aiming in ME2 to be honest. What i hate though is how i can't upgrade powers by double clicking on them(i have to go click the upgrade option at the bottom...) and how the mouse wheel doesn't work. They fixed that in ME3 thankfully, but i wish they took the time to do it in ME2 too. =/

Never had trouble at aiming in ME2 to be honest. What i hate though is how i can't upgrade powers by double clicking on them(i have to go click the upgrade option at the bottom...) and how the mouse wheel doesn't work. They fixed that in ME3 thankfully, but i wish they took the time to do it in ME2 too. =/
I tend to play on lower sensitivities and out of the box ME2's mouse sensitivity was way too high for me. To my surprise, changing the sensitivity in the options did absolutely nothing, so I went ini diving to change that and remove the mouse acceleration. I can't stand mouse acceleration at all, why developers even include it as an option is a mystery to me.

The entire UI was almost unchanged from the Xbox 360 version though, I don't understand why there wasn't any controller support or why they didn't optimize it for PC.

Sai

I dunno, I guess to have something to play on my PS3. I bought a new T.V. recently as well so that's another factor. I'd also get a physical copy of all three games that isn't restricted by Steam / Origin DRM.
It's your money, man, but that doesn't sound worth it.

If I ever get my gaming PC running again, I'd consider running through all three games again if I could get them super cheap. I've always wanted to try out some of the mods that are only possible on the PC versions.

Bisnic

It's your money, man, but that doesn't sound worth it.

If I ever get my gaming PC running again, I'd consider running through all three games again if I could get them super cheap. I've always wanted to try out some of the mods that are only possible on the PC versions.

Eh. I loved that little mod in ME2 that got rid of global cooldown. Made the game way too easy, but still... :p

Oh yeah, and being able to reduce loading screens from 20 secs to 3 secs. Because the long loading screens in ME2 are in reality faking loadings just to show the whole animation going on. I was always wondering why loading was fast in ME1 and ME3 but not in ME2... now i know.

Eh. I loved that little mod in ME2 that got rid of global cooldown. Made the game way too easy, but still... :p

Oh yeah, and being able to reduce loading screens from 20 secs to 3 secs. Because the long loading screens in ME2 are in reality faking loadings just to show the whole animation going on. I was always wondering why loading was fast in ME1 and ME3 but not in ME2... now i know.
I play ME2 with Flash's mod, but without changes 3. 8. 9 and the optional health regen mod. Being able to use any power on any enemy regardless of protection is nice, but the game wasn't balanced for it and the combat becomes way too easy.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Finally got around to playing through the game, but I have to say that pretty much every ending option makes me a bit sad in one way or another.
Destroy would have been great, but for having to kill EDI after helping her discover her humanity throughout the whole game. The other two make me dead and Liara an almost-widow. :|

_woLf

After buying the Citadel DLC when it first came out, I finally just had the time to complete the playthrough of it.

I am no longer worried about where this series is headed. In fact, I'm encouraged -- the Citadel DLC was by far one of the most emotional, interesting, and most importantly fun pieces of DLC I've ever played. It's absolutely essential that anyone who wants to get the most out of the Mass Effect universe play through it -- especially if you were displeased with ME3's original ending. With the writers behind this in charge, I can't wait until the next game.

It felt like a proper way to send out the characters. They did an absolutely phenomenal job. I'm going to miss the characters in the next ME game/s. You forget how much you can get attached to these characters until you hear the piano music and realize it's over, but at least this time I can feel like it was a happy ending.

eot

Banned
I've never seem them put it on sale (though I might've missed it). The only thing I've seen them put on sale are the BioWare points themselves, but that's extremely rare.

I'm halfway through this game last year and I stopped playing.

I still need to beat this game, hopefully sometime this summer.

And I managed to beat the game last night. Those endings :(

I wanted a happy ending and I couldn't get one, oh well.

So, should I buy the Citadel DLC?

I've heard that the long time fans of the series from the first game liked the Citadel DLC, true?

I've been playing Mass Effect since the first game came out in 2007, love the series, except for the direction of the second one and ending of the third.

Patryn

I've heard that the long time fans of the series from the first game liked the Citadel DLC, true?

I've been playing Mass Effect since the first game came out in 2007, love the series, except for the direction of the second one and ending of the third.

Mass Effect 1 is my favorite game of all time, and I liked the Citadel DLC.

Don't expect drastic changes from the core ME3 mechanics, but it's basically a love letter to the characters of the series. It was basically designed to give the closure that the ending failed to provide, and it likely intended to be the final thing played in a person's ME3 journey.

It's why I wouldn't recommend a first-time ME3 player play it until they've beaten the game. Honestly, nowadays, when I play ME3, I just get to the point of no return, play the Citadel and stop.

Mass Effect 1 is my favorite game of all time, and I liked the Citadel DLC.

Don't expect drastic changes from the core ME3 mechanics, but it's basically a love letter to the characters of the series. It was basically designed to give the closure that the ending failed to provide, and it likely intended to be the final thing played in a person's ME3 journey.

It's why I wouldn't recommend a first-time ME3 player play it until they've beaten the game. Honestly, nowadays, when I play ME3, I just get to the point of no return, play the Citadel and stop.

Since I've beaten the game, can I just download the DLC and play it or is there a certain part of the game I should be playing it?

Patryn

Since I've beaten the game, can I just download the DLC and play it or is there a certain part of the game I should be playing it?

You can download and play. I believe the game makes a save just before the point of no return. Just use that save. It's actually best played right before the point of no return.

Gvaz

Banned
post-dlc report:

Citadel > From Ashes > Leviathan > Omega > everything else

Reason for this, is Citadel isn't the best dlc ever, but if it was $5 it would be. Why? because it actually has content, unlike the other dlc

$2 for some costumes? no. $15 for Citadel? Maybe... I'd feel like it's honestly worth at most $10

$15 for omega is a ripoff. Oh boy a female turian who
dies later and is only used for 2 hours
. Nope.

$10 for Leviathan is still too expensive, but is at least better than omega, unless you have a hardon for Aria.

Everything else is either garbage that is basically P2W items, or p2w mp items (or at least boosts you don't need unless you love to waste money). Seriously this shit should be free.

Effect

Finally near the end I believe. Picked up the trilogy on PC a while ago when it was on sale for $10 and been making my way through it. I reached a point that clearly seems like a point of no return so I've stopped played and backed up my save file.

Just need to decide if I'm going to buy the Omega and Citadel DLC. Going to wait and see if they ever go on sale. Or if I have to buy bioware points in order to buy them and that doesn't seem like it ever goes on sale. I guess I could always watch them on youtube but rather play through them.

I do think playing all three of them back to back was a bad idea. I've kind just been going through the motions now with combat. It isn't very interesting anymore.

Top Bottom